Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,810 members, 7,820,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. (81571 Views)

Extreme Engineering: This Wheelchair Can Climb Stairs And Overcome Obstacles. / Military Engineering: Top 10 Most Expensive And Advanced Weapons Ever Built. / 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 6:14am On Apr 02, 2016
NOW 1 OR 2 POINTERS ON HOW TO KILL THESE AWESOME CARRIERS !!!!!!!

CALL THE ALIENS FOR LOAN OF SOME MEGA-MEGA-PLASMA- NUKA-BLASTER CUM EVERTHING grin
OR
USE
1.zircon (when available)
2.BRAHMOS-2 (when available)
3.P-500,P-700,P-800,P-1000
4.BRAHMOS -1

LAUNCH THESE IN SALVO MODE (more than 10) AKA USING WOLF PACK ATTACK SEQUENCE .........
and pray to god and pray hard.......
that the aircraft carrier is sunk and not launching planes to bomb ur ass to oblivion grin grin

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Explorers(m): 7:38am On Apr 02, 2016
A Navy catapult personnel close to the catapult on the flight deck.

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by aolumaxi(m): 8:32am On Apr 02, 2016
explorers... continue jare... we are feeling you
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Badosqi(m): 9:29am On Apr 02, 2016
lalasticlala will not see this thread now.

Lalasticlala come and see the massive snake(anaconda) olajumoke just killed. I heard that the majestic snake came all the way from the amazon forest to taste Olajumake's bread but was killed while trying to taste the bread.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 02, 2016
Odunayaw:
As much as aircraft carriers are a wonder and game changer..they are massive sitting ducks against advanced corvettes,destroyers and even Russian diesel subs that can launch an attack and get away so quick u would think it was a movie

She can detect threats at 500km away and launch a supersonic fighter jets every 20second to intercept them.
I think you skipped that part...

2 Likes

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Explorers(m): 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
Dharniel:

She can detect threats at 500km away and launch a supersonic fighter jets every 20second to intercept them.

Aside that, when its hunting time, she hunts with supports.

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 02, 2016
Explorers:

Aside that, when its hunting time, she hunts with supports.
Dharniel:

ogas u must understand how a aircraft carrier operates.

let me take the example of American carrier battle group (CVBG)
it loosely consists of
1.aircraft carrier aka supercarriers usually 1 number
2.Ticonderoga class cruisers usually 1-2 number
3.Arleigh Burke class destroyers usaually 3-4 number
4.Los Angeles-class / Virginia class SSN 1-2 number
5.replenishment ships 1 number

this combination is not fixed it will encompass more combatants as per the operational needs.
all the combatants provide overlapping and redundant AAW (Anti-aircraft warfare), ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare), and ASuW (Anti-Surface Warfare) capability.
plus ABM (anti ballistic missile ) and ASM (anti satellite missile) capability grin grin

this is a US carrier battle group stationed in the pacific

count the no of ships grin grin

under the waters the SSN provides a quarantine zone of around 300-400 km radius centred around the CBG.
the super carriers Airborne early warning platforms like E-2D hawkeye provide surveillance range much beyond the 500 km range offered by dispersed ships on-board sensors .
nothing to say of the optical and thermal feed provided by the satellites in real time.

overall real time surveillance , detection range from all the sources combined will be near about 900-800km from airborne platforms and limited to within 500-400km from on board ship sensors.

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 02, 2016
if any body interested I can post on how the soviets devised plans to sink the CBG
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 02, 2016
nemesis2u:
if any body interested I can post on how the soviets devised plans to sink the CBG
Please do
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Explorers(m): 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2016
nemesis2u:

To blind them?
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by NCP: 7:19pm On Apr 02, 2016
nemesis2u:

Kindly post it.

@Explorer good job. Continue pls.
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 02, 2016
I will gladly oblige you all grin

when it came to countering the naval might of the United States, the soviets responded with submarines and surface warships armed with long-range cruise missiles.

I will give a very brief description i.e. I will use the example of one of their weapons to highlight their war fighting doctrine against AMERICAN CBG .

P-700 / 3K45 Granit / SS-N-19 Shipwreck

it is a 7 tonne launch weight 300 nautical mile range Mach 2.5 turbojet missile and was deployed on the Kirov class ships and Oscar class SSGNs etc.

The Granit was the first missile of its kind to be equipped with artificial intelligence.it had a wolf pack homing design. up to 20 missiles could be launched and they worked together as a team.

At launch they would have a radar picture of the target via satellite (i.e. Legenda) or from other platforms.
They know where the target is roughly and they know where they are launched from so all 8-12 missiles will fly at medium height to maximise range. When they approach the radar horizon of the target all but one will drop down to remain unseen by the target and the one missile remaining high will scan the target and then drop down to fly with the other missiles.

after the missile itself identifies its target. then they line up like a wolf pack and start "hunting" the target.
so ultimately the missiles themselves decided which of them will attack the target, and how.
The missiles in a "wolf pack" would distribute a number of targets among themselves, rank targets in order of importance, and choose their attack tactics.

In order to rule out errors in choosing manoeuvres and attack methods, the missile's on-board computer contained electronic data on all known enemy warship classes. There are some purely tactical details, such as vessel type. This enables the missiles to decide what they are facing - a convoy, an aircraft-carrying group, a landing group - and attack the major targets within a group.

so basically the lead missile will process the scan, pick out the targets and assign the other missiles to each target depending on the information in the radar return ,so a small ship might get one missile while a large target might get 3-4 missiles targeting it including any nuclear armed missiles in the group.

If the lead missile is shot down then one of the other missiles will climb and get a radar image of the target and perform the command role of allocating individual missiles to targets. When they cross the radar horizon another scan will take place and the updated data will be data linked to the other missiles which will maintain radar silent till impact.

The Granit's on-board computer also stores data on countering the opponent's radio-electronic warfare resources, and tactical manoeuvres for avoiding air defence fire.

After destroying the chief selected target, the remaining missiles will immediately redistribute combat tasks among themselves and start destroying other vessels. theoretically no ship in the world is capable of escaping an attack by a Granit pack. The Granit's speed and continual manoeuvring over the sea makes it practically impossible to intercept by air defence or aviation.

plus it has a cool trick in its sleeve. If the missile detects that it is being targeted by anti air missiles etc. then it will create and project an electronic image of itself away from it, aka a CLONE to deceive the attacking enemy missile into attacking this CLONE instead and splash itself harmlessly into the sea. this feature is built into the BRAHMOS also.

also Granit's nuclear warhead was 2x lighter then conventional one, so they put a titanium shield in front of it ,not only to balance the missile but to add protection, if a tactical nuke exploded 10km away from the target ship it would destroy the other Granit missiles and the target ship might survive. so only those Granit missiles with nuclear warhead had protection not the conventional ones.

each missile radiated a specific frequency , and was designated number from 1-20 on its operating frequency , they would pulse this frequency from time to time to establish rank among themselves, so number one will form inertial data pop- up first around 70-100km from the target and send radar data to other missiles, in case its destroyed then number 2,3,4,....etc. would take over, also depending on radar return 3-4 missiles will be prioritized to the target having the highest radar signature and also various other data would be factored in for the target prioritization , then remaining others would be assigned 1-2 apiece per target depending on number of targets left.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-mrrojWd3CAA/UgZDnTx_G3I/AAAAAAAABMg/i7wrTuhaFHk/s1600/missile.jpg[/img]

I know all these because the BRAHMOS missile also incorporates some of the above features of Granit.
the BRAHMOS range is officially 290km, but in reality it is around 550-600km . due to MTCR some of the fuel cells of the BRAHMOS was left empty during the initial years. however now they are all filled . repeated test firings and simulations guarantees that 3 BRAHMOS fired in salvo mode is enough to kill any lone carrier while around 20+ will be required to defeat a CBG , provided the launch platform can come close undetected to within 300-400 km of the CBG.

[img]http://m.blog.hu/te/techstory/image/Kirov/yakhont_chart.png[/img]
I hope u all found the info useful and informative.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Odunayaw(m): 10:57pm On Apr 02, 2016
Dharniel:

I guess I skipped that
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Odunayaw(m): 8:18am On Apr 03, 2016
nemesis2u:
I will gladly oblige you all grin

when it came to countering the naval might of the United States, the soviets responded with submarines and surface warships armed with long-range cruise missiles.

I will give a very brief description i.e. I will use the example of one of their weapons to highlight their war fighting doctrine against AMERICAN CBG .

P-700 / 3K45 Granit / SS-N-19 Shipwreck

it is a 7 tonne launch weight 300 nautical mile range Mach 2.5 turbojet missile and was deployed on the Kirov class ships and Oscar class SSGNs etc.

The Granit was the first missile of its kind to be equipped with artificial intelligence.it had a wolf pack homing design. up to 20 missiles could be launched and they worked together as a team.

At launch they would have a radar picture of the target via satellite (i.e. Legenda) or from other platforms.
They know where the target is roughly and they know where they are launched from so all 8-12 missiles will fly at medium height to maximise range. When they approach the radar horizon of the target all but one will drop down to remain unseen by the target and the one missile remaining high will scan the target and then drop down to fly with the other missiles.

after the missile itself identifies its target. then they line up like a wolf pack and start "hunting" the target.
so ultimately the missiles themselves decided which of them will attack the target, and how.
The missiles in a "wolf pack" would distribute a number of targets among themselves, rank targets in order of importance, and choose their attack tactics.

In order to rule out errors in choosing manoeuvres and attack methods, the missile's on-board computer contained electronic data on all known enemy warship classes. There are some purely tactical details, such as vessel type. This enables the missiles to decide what they are facing - a convoy, an aircraft-carrying group, a landing group - and attack the major targets within a group.

so basically the lead missile will process the scan, pick out the targets and assign the other missiles to each target depending on the information in the radar return ,so a small ship might get one missile while a large target might get 3-4 missiles targeting it including any nuclear armed missiles in the group.

If the lead missile is shot down then one of the other missiles will climb and get a radar image of the target and perform the command role of allocating individual missiles to targets. When they cross the radar horizon another scan will take place and the updated data will be data linked to the other missiles which will maintain radar silent till impact.

The Granit's on-board computer also stores data on countering the opponent's radio-electronic warfare resources, and tactical manoeuvres for avoiding air defence fire.

After destroying the chief selected target, the remaining missiles will immediately redistribute combat tasks among themselves and start destroying other vessels. theoretically no ship in the world is capable of escaping an attack by a Granit pack. The Granit's speed and continual manoeuvring over the sea makes it practically impossible to intercept by air defence or aviation.

plus it has a cool trick in its sleeve. If the missile detects that it is being targeted by anti air missiles etc. then it will create and project an electronic image of itself away from it, aka a CLONE to deceive the attacking enemy missile into attacking this CLONE instead and splash itself harmlessly into the sea. this feature is built into the BRAHMOS also.

also Granit's nuclear warhead was 2x lighter then conventional one, so they put a titanium shield in front of it ,not only to balance the missile but to add protection, if a tactical nuke exploded 10km away from the target ship it would destroy the other Granit missiles and the target ship might survive. so only those Granit missiles with nuclear warhead had protection not the conventional ones.

each missile radiated a specific frequency , and was designated number from 1-20 on its operating frequency , they would pulse this frequency from time to time to establish rank among themselves, so number one will form inertial data pop- up first around 70-100km from the target and send radar data to other missiles, in case its destroyed then number 2,3,4,....etc. would take over, also depending on radar return 3-4 missiles will be prioritized to the target having the highest radar signature and also various other data would be factored in for the target prioritization , then remaining others would be assigned 1-2 apiece per target depending on number of targets left.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-mrrojWd3CAA/UgZDnTx_G3I/AAAAAAAABMg/i7wrTuhaFHk/s1600/missile.jpg[/img]

I know all these because the BRAHMOS missile also incorporates some of the above features of Granit.
the BRAHMOS range is officially 290km, but in reality it is around 550-600km . due to MTCR some of the fuel cells of the BRAHMOS was left empty during the initial years. however now they are all filled . repeated test firings and simulations guarantees that 3 BRAHMOS fired in salvo mode is enough to kill any lone carrier while around 20+ will be required to defeat a CBG , provided the launch platform can come close undetected to within 300-400 km of the CBG.

[img]http://m.blog.hu/te/techstory/image/Kirov/yakhont_chart.png[/img]
I hope u all found the info useful and informative.
interesting!.. but even Russia cannot sustain a standoff with the with the US navy on its own

3 Likes

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Explorers(m): 8:29am On Apr 03, 2016
Brilliant tactics the Russians got, but so far you knew about this attack plan nemesis2u, definitely the US Government/US Military is also aware and they're bracing up for it.

When it comes to attack, there's test of capabilities, there's diversion and the real tactics/strategies.
The real tactics/strategy remains "HIGHLY CLASSIFIED/TOP SECRET" till after execution.
The ideas, attack plan, or tactics to attempt the US downfall will never be documented or published. Most officers, pilots, soldiers that will carry out the attack will know nothing until the last moments when the orders will start coming up from the commanders. Some fighter pilots will airborne and will be taking different orders.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 03, 2016
@odunayaw quote

"but even Russia cannot sustain a standoff with the with the US navy on its own"

it is very difficult to quantify and qualify the war waging capability of 2 adversaries who are masters in their own unique home grown war fighting doctrines.
Russia and US even with out nuclear weapons will be a close call depending on the tactics and war fighting skill spread across the whole spectrum.
Russia and UK without nuclear weapons will result in Russian victory
UK and France with or without nuclear weapons will be a close call.

when two adversaries who are more or less matched in their war fighting capabilities go to war, their political aim is to win the war , but in terms of pure military objectives the quest of the either side is to deliver a series of defeats either tactical or strategic, in pursuit of a bigger military objective to weaken the persistent war waging capability of the enemy and bring it to the negotiation table.
multiple battles with multiple different military assets with multiple different localized theatre centric military objectives with multiple different war tactics in multiple different theatres (air , sea , underwater , land , cyberspace and space) will be fought till a political solution amicable to the dominant side is achieved provided either side can sustain and bank roll their war fighting successfully till then.

@explorer quote

"Brilliant tactics the Russians got, but so far you knew about this attack plan nemesis2u, definitely the US Government/US Military is also aware and they're bracing up for it."

yes each side knows about each others war tactics up to a certain level. but this does not change anything unless either side has got access to the actual war plans which details the operational plans to last men and last ammo grin
there are so many unknown variables in a war that it will require a super computer to analyse it.
on second thought 100 super computers might just do it grin

just to give u a feel of the complexity involved , lets take the example of anti ship cruise missile (ASCM) e.g. harpoon URAN etc.
most people think that u just have aim and fire , however it is lot more complicated as u shall see

simply put there are 4 stages involved in a missile attack by a ASCM

1. the first phase depends on first detecting the target ship. one has to locate and identify where the enemy ships are. this is the surveillance phase. radar is one type of sensor which is used for surveillance. the surveillance radars may in some cases be land based but can also be mounted on satellites, aircrafts UAVs etc.

2. the 2nd stage is the deployment of attacking launch platforms and selection of specific targets for missiles. this is called the targeting phase. the radars employed in targeting are usually aboard the ships or aircraft that launch the Anti-Ship Missiles.

3. in the third phase, i.e. the mid course guidance phase occurs after the missile launch. the midcourse portion of the guidance phase may or may not use radar sensors. some anti- ship missiles use inertial guidance until they approach the target, then turn on their radar and acquire the target.

4. the fourth phase is the terminal guidance phase, in which the missile radar/IR seeker is actively
tracking the target ship, and attempts to home on the radar echo/heat signature.
thus for a anti ship missile to be successful it is necessary for each of the stages to be successfully negotiated.

here I have just pointed the bare facts when in real life it is much much more complicated
technically what I have described above is the KILL CHAIN (military parlance) from the enemies perspective,
in real life scenario there are so many things in this KILL CHAIN which could go wrong (due to u or your enemy) which will lead to failure of the launch of the ASCM or lead to failure in the ASCM to achieve the intended kill.

@explorer quote

"When it comes to attack, there's test of capabilities, there's diversion and the real tactics/strategies.
The real tactics/strategy remains "CLASSIFIED/TOP SECRET" till after execution.
The ideas, attack plan, or tactics to attempt the US downfall will never be documented or published. Most officers, pilots, soldiers that will carry out the attack will know nothing until the last moments when the orders will start coming up from the commanders. Some fighter pilots will airborne and will be taking different orders."

unknowingly you have over simplified everything grin
even with planned and panned out operational war games there is still enough of uncertainty and unpredictability which will deny the enemy to accurately predict , understand and counter your real tactics/strategy.

"CLASSIFIED/TOP SECRET" in this age of cyber warfare and space warfare is fast losing its relevance , present day assets in cyber and space are capable enough to breach this "CLASSIFIED/TOP SECRET" quite easily if u have the resources and capability.

@explorer quote

"The ideas, attack plan, or tactics to attempt the US downfall will never be documented or published. Most officers, pilots, soldiers that will carry out the attack will know nothing until the last moments when the orders will start coming up from the commanders. Some fighter pilots will airborne and will be taking different orders."

very true but tell me this how will the plans , documents and orders will be issued to the military units far and wide from the HQ etc. before and during the hostilities.
via the radios , satellites etc. i.e. over the electromagnetic and optical spectrum right grin
then Electronic warfare (EW) and Cyber Warfare (CW) guys will have to earn their pay grin

plus nothing to say of both peace time and war time espionage etc etc . grin
James Bond here I come and I really find M very HOT and I am gonna steal her lol grin
my ogas i hope I cleared ur doubts

3 Likes

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Odunayaw(m): 11:05am On Apr 03, 2016
@nemesis2u

that was some serious explanation ..thumbs up
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 03, 2016

USS Gerald R. Ford, the first of a new class of super carriers

Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning
courtesy:www.jeffhead.com

queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 03, 2016

satellite picture of INS vikrant during her construction

[img]http://www.offiziere.ch/wp-content/uploads-001/2015/05/Vikrant.png[/img]
computer model of INS vikrant

Kiev Class Russian/soviet hybrid Aircraft Carrier

[img]http://cdn4.tass.ru/width/744_b12f2926/tass/m2/en/uploads/i/20150302/1084847.jpg[/img]
in service Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
FUTURE MODELS OF AIRCRAFT CARRIERS

1.RUSSIAN
[img]http://2.bp..com/-N12JeKS7HLM/VoJIry66tzI/AAAAAAAADOo/oSn8OREioDk/s1600/Project_23000E_Storm_Russian_aircraft_carrier.jpg[/img]
Project 23000E Storm Russian aircraft carrier

2.CHINESE
[img]http://2.bp..com/-lpyX9rhaUys/VghIXhqRfiI/AAAAAAABC0U/ojGWPe3RbwE/s1600/001a.jpg[/img]
Type 001A Chinese aircraft carrier

3.INDIAN
[img]http://1.bp..com/-7crVYClXxfE/VflfQMYBlaI/AAAAAAAAXRg/UoTpW-xEmew/s1600/India_Future_Aircraft_Carrier.jpg[/img]
INS Vishal Indian aircraft carrier

4.AMERICAN

lolzzz grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by uncjay(m): 11:30pm On Apr 03, 2016
nemesis2u:
FUTURE MODELS OF AIRCRAFT CARRIERS

1.RUSSIAN
[img]http://2.bp..com/-N12JeKS7HLM/VoJIry66tzI/AAAAAAAADOo/oSn8OREioDk/s1600/Project_23000E_Storm_Russian_aircraft_carrier.jpg[/img]
Project 23000E Storm Russian aircraft carrier

2.CHINESE
[img]http://2.bp..com/-lpyX9rhaUys/VghIXhqRfiI/AAAAAAABC0U/ojGWPe3RbwE/s1600/001a.jpg[/img]
Type 001A Chinese aircraft carrier

3.INDIAN
[img]http://1.bp..com/-7crVYClXxfE/VflfQMYBlaI/AAAAAAAAXRg/UoTpW-xEmew/s1600/India_Future_Aircraft_Carrier.jpg[/img]
INS Vishal Indian aircraft carrier

4.AMERICAN

lolzzz grin grin

Pls sir, the list above, is it in order of how strong and mighty the carriers were?

And that American future carrier looks like the type used in "The Avengers"

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by cutestcee: 8:12am On Apr 04, 2016
Explorers:
Brilliant tactics the Russians got, but so far you knew about this attack plan nemesis2u, definitely the US Government/US Military is also aware and they're bracing up for it.

When it comes to attack, there's test of capabilities, there's diversion and the real tactics/strategies.
The real tactics/strategy remains "HIGHLY CLASSIFIED/TOP SECRET" till after execution.
The ideas, attack plan, or tactics to attempt the US downfall will never be documented or published. Most officers, pilots, soldiers that will carry out the attack will know nothing until the last moments when the orders will start coming up from the commanders. Some fighter pilots will airborne and will be taking different orders.

Dude, I'm crushing on u! Can I go on?
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 04, 2016
uncjay:

Pls sir, the list above, is it in order of how strong and mighty the carriers were?
And that American future carrier looks like the type used in "The Avengers"

the list is in random order
the list shows the coming aircraft carriers.
the Russians have started work on their Project 23000E Storm Russian aircraft carrier it is in the design phase it will be nuclear powered.
the Chinese are in the final stages of designing their Type 001A Chinese aircraft carrier, don't know if it is going to be nuclear powered or not.
the Indians are in the initial design stages with the INS Vishal aircraft carrier, it is going to be nuclear powered and come with American carrier technology.

as for the Americans I posted the pic of the airborne carrier from avengers grin because DARPA is looking at futuristic technologies to build such advance carriers. we have to wait for next 30 years to see what comes out.
u can count me out because by then I will be reincarnated in another life grin cool
the USS Gerald R. Ford type super carriers are the ultimate carriers for now and for the next 30 years, nobody will be able to rival it.
it the next 30-50 years airborne carriers with the capability to launch UCAVS etc. is very much possible.
next 3-5 years American will design systems installed on Boeing planes / military planes capable of launching hordes of swarming small/medium sized UAVs which will interact with each other autonomously and do their missions.

2 Likes

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 05, 2016
SPEED KILLS AND KILLS BIG

A Hyper-sonic speed cruise missile travels at least 5 times the speed of sound (Mach 5)

remember cruise missile is different than a ballistic missile since it travels within the earths atmosphere, where as a ballistics missile follows a parabolic path and major part of its trajectory is outside the atmosphere i.e. in space.

in-service hyper-sonic cruise missile:

1.SHAURYA is a hybrid missile, with characteristics of both cruise and ballistic missile, Shaurya can reach a velocity of Mach 7.5 even at low altitudes, the shaurya after taking off and reaching a height of about 50 km, starts flying like a Hypersonic cruise missile. Once it reaches the target area it manoeuvres towards the target before striking the target.

hyper-sonic cruise missile in development:

1.3M22 of the 3K22 Zircon system (Russia).
it is rumored to have a speed in excess of Mach 5 and a range varying anywhere from 500 to 1000 kilometers.

2.BRAHMOS -II.
it is being developed by India and Russia . The BrahMos-II is expected to have a range of 290 KM ( i don't think so grin ) and a speed of Mach 7.The BrahMos-II is suspected to be the export variant of the 3M22 of the 3K22 Zircon system, with Indian modifications same as in BRAHMOS I.

3.Boeing X-51.
The Boeing X-51 is an unmanned research scramjet aircraft for hyper-sonic flight at Mach 5.
X-51 technology will be used in the High Speed Strike Weapon (HSSW), a Mach 5+ missile planned to enter service in the mid-2020s.
[img]http://media.defense.gov/2010/May/20/2000360694/-1/-1/0/090717-F-0289B-222.JPG[/img]

other hyper-sonic related developmental work for military applications are:
1.US DARPA Falcon Project for the Hyper-sonic Cruise Vehicle (HCV).
2.WU-14 a Chinese experimental hyper-sonic glide vehicle (HGV), which is now called the DF-ZF
3.Russian Yu-71 hyper-sonic boost-glide system
4.The HSTDV is an unmanned scramjet aircraft for hyper-sonic speed flight by India. it will later have military variants.

all these in anti-aircraft carrier role (if developed to do so) will be very destructive.
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 05, 2016
TECHNOLOGY BEHIND HYPER-SONIC CRUISE MISSILES (off-topic)

Zircon (unconfirmed), brahmos 2 , x-51 all share one characteristic i.e. WaveRider design

From a theoretical point of view a waverider is a conically-derived lifting system, that is a system that is always behind the shock wave generated by itself. More practically, the waverider is a wing, an aircraft, and a propulsion system at the same time.
The propulsion system for hypersonic speeds is a scramjet (= supersonic combustion ram jet), that is a system without moving parts. the scramjet is placed roughly at the center of the waverider, so that the forebody acts as a dynamic compressor for the engine, the aft body acts as an expansion nozzle.
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2016
some facts about USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), the most expensive and most advanced warship AIRCRAFT CARRIER ever built.

costs : $13 billion only grin
it can house more than 4,500 people.
Propulsion: Two nuclear reactors, four shafts.
Length: 1,092 feet
Beam: 134 feet, Flight Deck Width: 256 feet.
Displacement: approximately 100,000 long tons full load.
Speed: 30+ knots (34.5+ miles per hour)
Crew: 4,539 (ship, air wing and staff).
Armament: Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile, Rolling Airframe Missile, CIWS.
Aircraft: 75+.

Instead of conventional steam catapults to launch jets, the supercarrier is outfitted with EMALS (Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System), which is lighter and requires less space. It also needs less maintenance and manpower, and is more reliable and energy-efficient. EMALS can launch an aircraft every 45 seconds, 25% faster than its steam counterpart. Furthermore, since EMALS uses no steam, it’s a suitable candidate for launching drones and other electric vehicles.

[img]http://www.trbimg.com/img-5580585c/turbine/dp-pictures-uss-gerald-r-ford-20130329-069[/img]
The carrier’s sensory array has received an overhaul with the addition of an integrated active electronically scanned array (AESA) search-and-tracking radar system. This new system has no moving parts, so it therefore minimizes maintenance and crew requirements for operation. Further, advanced AESA radars enable the ship and aircraft to broadcast powerful signals while remaining stealthy, which greatly improves combat effectiveness.

As expected, the CVN-78 has impressive power. The ship is powered by two Bechtel A1B nuclear reactors, each capable of producing 300 megawatts of electricity, triple that of Nimitz-class reactors. Those changes resulted in a two-thirds reduction of watch standing requirements and a big decrease in required maintenance.

With great power comes great firepower. Only half of the power-generating capability on the CVN-78 is needed to run currently planned systems, including EMALS. The CVN-78 will thus have the power reserves that the Nimitz class lacks to sport even more futuristic armaments and systems, such as free-electron lasers and dynamic armor, and electromagnetic rail-guns at some point in the future.

free-electron laser system
[img]http://mscconference.files./2012/07/railgun1.jpg[/img]
electromagnetic rail-gun

1 Like

Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Blakjewelry(m): 7:38pm On Apr 05, 2016
I think all these money being spent on these military hardware should be channel into space exploration, I like to see the first picture from an alien planet
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by ValerianSteel(m): 11:10pm On Apr 06, 2016
Blakjewelry:
I think all these money being spent on these military hardware should be channel into space exploration, I like to see the first picture from an alien planet
Even the United States which is the biggest spender on Space exploration can never channel the same amount going into the Military to Space.It just can't happen.The Military is the pride of any nation,no space programme can come close to getting half the budget of the military.
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 07, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO3_sBOcKkQ
Aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya (Project 11430)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IDVh3BV4ZQ
Charles de Gaulle CVN French Carrier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQMCYopX8xg
U.S Navy Nimitz Class Super Carrier
Re: Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. by Djbaka(m): 12:43am On Apr 11, 2016
I came here to read 'fascinating facts' about aircraft carriers from Explorers. This guy just came out of the blue to bamboozle us with intricate details that though I struggled to understand completely, I still kept on reading and got exhausted.

Mr nemesis2u, please do my brain jeje o. We nor dey German military base dey plan WW3 o.

Lol.. thumbs up you guys! cool

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Python Caused Traffic jam At Galadima-zuba Express Axis, Abuja / Are Anacondas As Dangerous As Shown In The Movie "Anaconda?" (Photos) / Big Balls Of Ice That Fell In Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.