Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,698 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:12 PM

The World's Smallest Generator - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The World's Smallest Generator (51758 Views)

Nanotechnology : Origami Robot Assembled World Smallest House / See The Smallest Countries In The World / How Car Engines Are Made (world Smallest V12 Engine ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The World's Smallest Generator by LOVEGINO(m): 8:37pm On Apr 02, 2016
ewizard1:

I modified it cos i made an error... I still posted the same message.

Make una dey try dey learn! tongue
what's d difference between ur ancient technology with dis grin

3 Likes

Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Leopantro: 8:40pm On Apr 02, 2016
Mattkent:

I like this idea. Have you ever tot of having it big? Like a wind mill ? Where I reside in Lagos we have a big balcony and the breeze always pushes our rubber chair around. I always imagined if we had a wind mill.

Will work wonderfully as a windmill. Make sure the wings are large, try and oil the part that turns thus making it free, use energy saving bulbs. If you get a couple do not connect them together ; voltage output can get quite high.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by aytuns(m): 8:55pm On Apr 02, 2016
It's a good idea,, great video teaching basic physics, and it actually has me thinking.. But the question is, what will generate the torque? Will one have to keep applying manual energy to the shaft just to turn it? If not how then can that be turned?? Cos that's the essence of the petrol in our generators, or the gas in our gas turbines, or water for our hydro dams... So how do we turn that dynamo/alternator, without the hand??
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by akashi01(m): 9:00pm On Apr 02, 2016
Leopantro:

I got it from someone that repairs microwave ovens and washing machines.
bro abeg your number
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by sukkot: 9:08pm On Apr 02, 2016
Leopantro:
Instead of using your hands, you can Google plans on how to create a windmill and use the spokes to attach the wings. The whole setup can be placed in an area with adequate ventilation and the wind will turn it for you.
To be more creative, you can use it to create a water wheel of you reside close to a fast flowing river.
Granted it's slow in charging a phone but it's better than nothing.
how about connecting it to a motor and car battery ? use the car battery to run the motor and the motor to run the wind mill thing and connect the car battery to an alternator to charge it synchronously and attach the alternator to an inverter which gets its juice from the car battery

thats the best i can think of right now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Leopantro: 9:18pm On Apr 02, 2016
I don't sell it.
Anyone can create it by himself or herself.
You don't need to buy it from me. You can make it yourself. Simply look for someone that repairs microwave ovens and washing machine. Tell him that you want to buy that motor beneath the round glass that turns it around. You might be lucky to pick one up from a spolt microwave. Simply connect the wires and you are good to go

For those that can't watch the video, read about it here
http://www.instructables.com/id/Microwave-Motor-Crank-Charger/
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by sukkot: 9:20pm On Apr 02, 2016
aytuns:
It's a good idea,, great video teaching basic physics, and it actually has me thinking.. But the question is, what will generate the torque? Will one have to keep applying manual energy to the shaft just to turn it? If not how then can that be turned?? Cos that's the essence of the petrol in our generators, or the gas in our gas turbines, or water for our hydro dams... So how do we turn that dynamo/alternator, without the hand??

sukkot:
how about connecting it to a motor and car battery ? use the car battery to run the motor and the motor to run the wind mill thing and connect the car battery to an alternator to charge it synchronously and attach the alternator to an inverter which gets its juice from the car battery
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Leopantro: 9:21pm On Apr 02, 2016
sukkot:

This is a wonderful setup; didn't even think to this Level. Will look into this, thank you.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by sukkot: 9:23pm On Apr 02, 2016
Leopantro:

This is a wonderful setup; didn't even think to this Level. Will look into this, thank you.
it works all the time. we have used it to power light bulbs and things when camping in remote parts of the world with no electricity and no fuel
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Leopantro: 9:27pm On Apr 02, 2016
sukkot:
it works all the time. we have used it to power light bulbs and things when camping in remote parts of the world with no electricity and no fuel

What's the maximum load and type of devices you have connected to it?
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by sukkot: 9:35pm On Apr 02, 2016
Leopantro:

What's the maximum load and type of devices you have connected to it?
light bulbs, charge phones, maybe a small fan. if you want more output you need to make it a lil more sophisticated. get stronger batteries, several of them and connect the batteries ( circuit ) in a series arrangement as opposed to a parallel arrangement
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Virus777: 10:12pm On Apr 02, 2016
darlenese:
Buhari generator , just like the Abacha stove in those days grin

Chai, Bebe you no be small pikin o as you sabi Abacha stove. grin
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Adeoba10(m): 10:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
Mightyraw:

Man if at 2016 all u still care about us booking space while ignoring d important aspect...man u gat it wrong
Well u don't quote u for saying DAT ...I only did for arguing and and being aggressive on d guy DAT called u out....
So u stand corrected
Aiit Bro....
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Virus777: 10:27pm On Apr 02, 2016
sukkot:

Forget it, it can never work. Many people have tried that and have failed woefully. At best it'll work for a few minutes but once the car battery fully discharges its electric energy, it goes off. It can never work indefinitely.

If it were to work in that manner then we would have solved the world energy problem, no need for petroleum anymore. Everyone would have the system in his house.

It can't work because it goes against the simple law of nature which states that energy can never be created or destroyed, rather it changes from one form to another.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by sukkot: 11:11pm On Apr 02, 2016
Virus777:

Forget it, it can never work. Many people have tried that and have failed woefully. At best it'll work for a few minutes but once the car battery fully discharges its electric energy, it goes off. It can never work indefinitely.

If it were to work in that manner then we would have solved the world energy problem, no need for petroleum anymore. Everyone would have the system in his house.

It can't work because it goes against the simple law of nature which states that energy can never be created or destroyed, rather it changes from one form to another.
thats why we have the alternator charging the battery synchronously so it never gets fully discharged and the alternator is run from the juice from the battery via the sinewave inverter. its a self looping, self charging system

1 Like

Re: The World's Smallest Generator by mekanaky: 7:55am On Apr 03, 2016
nonsense so those blades cant turn except manually
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by monday1962(m): 11:03am On Apr 03, 2016
419 be careful. MTN has nothing to do with this add... beware.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by dorox(m): 11:07am On Apr 03, 2016
sukkot:
thats why we have the alternator charging the battery synchronously so it never gets fully discharged and the alternator is run from the juice from the battery via the sinewave inverter. its a self looping, self charging system

No machine is 100% efficient, so between the the power draw of any device connected to the generator and energy loss from the inefficiency of your battery - motor- alternator set up you will have a net power drain. That is why it has not been possible to make a perpetual motion macnine.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by sukkot: 11:31am On Apr 03, 2016
dorox:

No machine is 100% efficient, so between the the power draw of any device connected to the generator and energy loss from the inefficiency of your battery - motor- alternator set up you will have a net power drain. That is why it has not been possible to make a perpetual motion macnine.
thats true. NO MACHINE. however this setup is similar to the wiring of a car
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by dorox(m): 11:40am On Apr 03, 2016
sukkot:
thats true. NO MACHINE. however this setup is similar to the wiring of a car

In what way is it similar to the wiring of a car?
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by dorox(m): 11:50am On Apr 03, 2016
Leopantro:
No fuel?
No electricity?
Why don't you make the world's smallest generator.
Cost about N2k.
At least charge your phone and tablets with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdI0E-QxJaE&itct=CCkQpDAYACITCPXhtKTy78sCFQwBHAodB1MM91Ifc21hbGxlc3QgZ2VuZXJhdG9yIGluIHRoZSB3b3JsZA%3D%3D&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google

At maximum rotation, it produces up to 400V so be careful to avoid electric shock.
To understand the principle behind it and how to modify it to your need, see the video

This is by no means the world's smallest alternator .You should stop making baseless claims out of ignorance.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by sukkot: 11:55am On Apr 03, 2016
dorox:

In what way is it similar to the wiring of a car?
alternator charging the battery as it is being used
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by dorox(m): 12:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
sukkot:
alternator charging the battery as it is being used

The alternator gets it's power from the engine just like your petrol generator and not from the battery that it charges. But your setup is different in one very important way, it is a closed loop isolated system where the battery powers the alternator which in turn powers a load as well as charging the battery.That my friend is what is called a perpetual motion engine, it cannot work due to the laws of thermodynamics.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Leopantro: 12:34pm On Apr 03, 2016
dorox:

This is by no means the world's smallest alternator .You should stop making baseless claims out of ignorance.

I found a practical application of this device.

Potenco Power Generator.

The company claims that one minute of pulling its human-power electricity generator can give a user 1 hour of light, 25 minutes of mobile phone talk time, 45 minutes on the Nintendo DS, and an impressive 230 minutes of iPod shuffle music - about one song per pull!

I said generator not alternator

Re: The World's Smallest Generator by dorox(m): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2016
Leopantro:

Potenco Power Generator.

The company claims that one minute of pulling its human-power electricity generator can give a user 1 hour of light, 25 minutes of mobile phone talk time, 45 minutes on the Nintendo DS, and an impressive 230 minutes of iPod shuffle music - about one song per pull!

I said generator not alternator

A generator and an alternator are practically the same thing except for one technical difference that have no bearing on the point I made, moreover I am quite certain the device on display is an alternator.
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by tomsy2: 2:15pm On Apr 03, 2016
[quote author=Leopantro post=44366018]
Potenco Power Generator.

So where did you find it? Is it available in Naija & where, & how much ?
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Leopantro: 2:32pm On Apr 03, 2016
[quote author=tomsy2 post=44368663][/quote]
Check eBay, Amazon and Aliexpress
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by tonytony208(m): 4:25pm On Apr 03, 2016
joey150:
o.p na ignorance dey worry dem...if i had mb i would have watched.. But I'll save the link. Thanks

To the mumu"s above me..have sense pls.

There is nothing sensible in that video. You would have regretted wasting your MB on it.

1 Like

Re: The World's Smallest Generator by darlenese(f): 8:28pm On Apr 03, 2016
Virus777:

Chai, Bebe you no be small pikin o as you sabi Abacha stove. grin

Yels wink I haff old oo grin grin grin
Re: The World's Smallest Generator by Santi222(m): 10:29am On Apr 04, 2016
Check it out

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of Pregnant Animals / Alexei Leonov Dies! The First Human Ever To Walk In Space Is Dead (Photos) / How To Check Your BVN Number With Your Mobile Phone Without Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.