Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,885 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

How Ok Is It For White People To Have Dreadlocks? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How Ok Is It For White People To Have Dreadlocks? (487 Views)

D'banj Rocks Rastafarian Dreadlocks In New Picture / BBNaija: Miracle Ikechukwu Cuts His Dreadlocks (Photos) / Banky W & Adesua Jet Out Of The Country In Preparation For White Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Ok Is It For White People To Have Dreadlocks? by Secretgist: 12:16pm On Apr 03, 2016
"You're stating I can't have a haircut due to your way of life - why?" the man says.

"Since it's my way of life," the lady answers back. At a certain point she pushes him and tries to prevent him from leaving.

The man was later recognized as Cory Goldstein, an understudy at San Francisco State University, where the video was clearly shot. Amid the contention, Goldstein at one point announces: "You have no privilege to let me know what I can wear." Most of those remarking appeared to concur - numerous were reproachful of the lady.

Join the discussion on this and different stories here.

Be that as it may, past the particular occurrence in the video, what of the charge of "social appointment" - the utilization of another ethnic gathering's style, workmanship, or for this situation, haircut? In a later video reaction, Goldstein made a qualification in the middle of "thankfulness" and "allocation".

"At the point when individuals wear Native American hoods, that is social allocation," he said, in light of the fact that just individuals with "high remaining" in the Native American group have generally been given the privilege to wear them. (It's this reasoning which drove the Glastonbury Festival to boycott the offer of crowns, which were once fairly chic).

"The truth I have dreadlocks doesn't mean I'm attempting to suitable society, it implies I adore and regard their way of life and it's something I maintain myself," Goldstein said. "These things ought to unite us."

The lady in the video has clearly closed down her online networking accounts and did not react to asks for remarks. Her own points of interest were immediately circled on message sheets and informal organizations.

Close by the exchange about this specific occurrence there was additionally a considerable measure of prattle online about the governmental issues of hair.

Yesha Callahan, a manager at The Root, a site went for African-American perusers, told newsmen Trending radio that she didn't concur with the lady's activities, yet can comprehend why a few individuals are uncomfortable with white individuals with dreadlocks.

"Individuals might be demonstrating thankfulness, however they ought to be watchful of evading into allocation," she says. "I comprehend where [the lady in the video] is originating from. She sees somebody with a hairdo who's wearing it uninhibitedly, who presumably doesn't get as much push back as she would, on the off chance that she had the same haircut. Some of the time individuals call dreadlocks "messy" or "ghetto" on the off chance that they see them on a dark individual.

Callahan, who blogged about the video, said haircuts are an every so often prevalent and now and again prickly subject of discussion amongst The Root's perusers.

"Hair is a tremendous piece of dark society. Individuals pick plaits, dreadlocks, rectify or weave - and many individuals raise these decisions. Are dark individuals straightening so as to appropriate white society their hair? Indeed, there's a distinction in the middle of absorption and apportionment."

Callahan says she once dated a white man who had dreadlocks. She had no issue with the hairdo, but instead the slapdash way he pulled it off.

"He had pleasantly looked after fears… yet he didn't have those until I took him to a salon," she kidded. "I wasn't going to stroll around with somebody with raggedy hair."
see more picture [url]http://www.worldnewsapprise.com/2016/04/how-ok-is-it-for-white-people-to-have.html
[/url]

(1) (Reply)

Agbani Darego Stuns At Giorgio Armani Event In South Africa / Davido Is Tired Of Beggars Coming To His House; Plans On Moving / Musician, Oskido Denies Attacking D'banj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.