Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,670 members, 7,809,536 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta (23922 Views)

Friends Carry Graduate In Wheelbarrow In Liberia To Celebrate His Graduation / 60-Year-Old Man Writing SSCE In Somalia / Photo : 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by ican2020: 4:06am On Apr 04, 2016
A 60-year-old man, Mr. Adalabu Seribor, who is a Junior Secondary School II (JSS II) student at Izon College, Bomadi-Overside in Bomadi Local Government Area of Delta State, is currently the talk of the town.

Seribor, a wheelbarrow pusher popularly called Oyibo in the community, disclosed how he took the decision to go to school at old age, a development that had kept many people wondering what he wanted to achieve in school at such an age.

Speaking with Southern City News, Seribor said, “I am sixty years now and I decided to go to school at this age because I perpetually feel the pain of being an illiterate in this modern world where everything has to do with English and education.

“My mother died during child birth when I was a little boy while my father was a hunter. I was bred by a grandmother after the death of my mother and later taken to a step-mother when my father remarried.

“I went through pains and hardship at my tender age to adulthood. It would interest you to know that I was so tender at the time my mother died that I was crying for food while she lay dead.

“I went through struggles all through my life history. I had the opportunity to go to school at my young age, when a relative who was a magistrate at Ekeremor in Bayelsa State took me to his house.

“But because of early morning beatings due to my failure to greet him when rising from bed, I went back to my father. I had no opportunity to go to school since then, and continued in hard labour to survive in life, which I am still doing.”

Narrating further how he took the decision to attend school at his current age, he said, “I realized that without education, one cannot do well in this present society. I also do not want a situation whereby someone else would interpret or write for me if eventually I am chosen to hold an office in my community.

“I make a living by pushing wheelbarrow. After school hours, I go back home to look for work to do, which I have been doing for a living. I pay my school fees from there. I am determined to complete my education because of the pains in my heart.

“I see that one cannot do well without education in this society. I do various menial jobs for a living. I pack dirt from gutters; I pack sand, clear grasses in people’s compounds and pack soak-away faeces in the dead of the night. I am a JSS II student and by the grace of God, I will finish from this school.”

Seribor said he would proceed to Teachers’ Training College at the end of his secondary education in order to achieve his dream of becoming a teacher.

“I want to teach and I advised young boys and girls wasting their time and years roaming the streets
to go to school. If I can go to school, then why are young people wasting themselves,” he queried.
His class teacher, Mr. Edsemi Anesah, described Seribor as a committed and hardworking student.

“My encouragement to him is that he should hold onto his determination. He is the oldest student in the school and I advise young people out there to emulate him,” Anesah added.

http://www.punchng.com/60-year-old-wheelbarrow-pusher-begins-secondary-education-in-delta/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by pyyxxaro: 4:26am On Apr 04, 2016
Ebí'zon tu wadoooó

Tompolo come and see ur Uncle o wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by PrinxArthur1(m): 5:07am On Apr 04, 2016
picture or adonbilivit
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by mayorkyzo: 5:18am On Apr 04, 2016
I admire his courage but for him saying he wants to teach,he's way past it...retirement age for teachers last time I checked was 60...Goodluck to him on his academic pursuit...

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by Solomonodimegwu(m): 5:24am On Apr 04, 2016
Good for him
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by jeffizy(m): 5:58am On Apr 04, 2016
No knowledge is wasted.

Not related but I'm wandering what his children think about his decision.

Especially when other students are packing their lunch boxes in the morning.
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by DONSMITH123(m): 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2016
TOUCHING....

1 Like

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2016
Great Adelabur grin

"I had the opportunity to go to school at my young age, when a relative who was a magistrate at Ekeremor in Bayelsa State took me to his house.
“But because of early morning beatings due to my failure to greet him when rising from bed, I went back to my father. I had no opportunity to go to school since then, and continued in hard labour to survive in life, which I am still doing.”

Beatings sef shocked
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by RichYoungNigga: 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2016
Not too late for Buhari

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by Holyfield1(m): 2:50pm On Apr 04, 2016
He try no be small but truth be said ''Baba It's too late''
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by brainbox1000(m): 2:50pm On Apr 04, 2016
Ok
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by richidinho(m): 2:50pm On Apr 04, 2016
After Secondary School proceed to Maritime University thats if Amaechi will not scrap it grin
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by FuckTheMod: 2:51pm On Apr 04, 2016
hin get time and money na undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by winkmart: 2:51pm On Apr 04, 2016
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by kenedy175(m): 2:53pm On Apr 04, 2016
This is what Buhari should have done angry
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by Praizekeyz(m): 2:53pm On Apr 04, 2016
Don't take tins too serious...we are just here to catch fun.

1 Like

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by xclusiveguy4(m): 2:54pm On Apr 04, 2016
that's CHANGE
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by stubbornman(m): 2:55pm On Apr 04, 2016
I guess the man watched the movie "the first grader" and was challenged
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by BE811APP: 2:56pm On Apr 04, 2016
Good for him...

Better late than never...

2 Likes

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by EDUECO(m): 2:58pm On Apr 04, 2016
A literate that does not read is not better than an illiterate that cannot read! If you can read and write,then you have the compass to the wider world.

3 Likes

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by Godswillnwaoma(m): 2:58pm On Apr 04, 2016
I love his courage but becoming a teacher after school is too late for him.
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by pennytration(m): 2:59pm On Apr 04, 2016
Dats y i always run away frm weed...
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by donholy28(m): 3:00pm On Apr 04, 2016
Nice!!! but we all know that this is foolishness
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by Chidizman(m): 3:01pm On Apr 04, 2016
Wise decision. Glad he recognizes the value of sound education!
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by emajoe: 3:01pm On Apr 04, 2016
Benefit of free education.
No time is late Sir.
I salute your courage.
In the secondary school you will hear them sing:

COURAGE BROTHER,
DO NOT STUMBLE,
THOUGH THY PATH BE DARK AS NIGHT,
THERE'S A STAR TO GUIDE THE HUMBLE,
TRUST IN GOD AND DO THE RIGHT.

SIMPLE RULES AND PERFECT .....

.......more stanzas follow, but take this one above to heart, it shall be well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by dalambusu(m): 3:02pm On Apr 04, 2016
A good and apt decision. There many full-time and semi illiterates even in Nairaland who are not up to his age that will not dare take such bold decision because of pride. I don't need to mention names but by their response to issues and their written English one will infer that they are either full-time illiterates or the worse, semi-illiterates.
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by holluwai(m): 3:03pm On Apr 04, 2016
What!!!!!!

It is just too late as far as I'm concerned. He should rather train his children instead.

Just too late.
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by dalambusu(m): 3:05pm On Apr 04, 2016
mayorkyzo:
I admire his courage but for him saying he wants to teach,he's way past it...retirement age for teachers last time I checked was 60...Goodluck to him on his academic pursuit...
He wants to offer a pro-bono service to his community, perhaps!

1 Like

Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by ebony3soul(m): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2016
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by fpeter(f): 3:08pm On Apr 04, 2016
good
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by yomalex(m): 3:08pm On Apr 04, 2016
Nice
Re: 60-year-old Wheelbarrow Pusher Begins Secondary Education In Delta by Lilimax(f): 3:11pm On Apr 04, 2016
Good for him afterall education has no age limit smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deji Akinwande To Receive Presidential Award In The U.S / PHOTO: Public Schools In Kano Flooded Days After First Heavy Downpour / 6 Embarrassing Things That Can Happen To You In Class.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.