Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? (923 Views)

The Bank Robber: A Whiteman Disguise Himself As A Blackman To Rob Banks. / Did Obama Bow To Saudi King? / Did Obama Flip Flop Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by newdeal(m): 5:34pm On Jul 29, 2009
Three characters, one event, one comment and the whole place is agog with accusations and counter accusations. Back to the story briefly;

A Black man
[ I hate to use colours to describe humans] Henry Louis Gates, who is a Harvard professor, wanted to enter his own house. The door did not open as quick as he wanted so he forced his way in. Someone alerted the police. Enter a Whiteman, James Crowley, a police officer. The professor could not understand why someone will question him for entering his own house, whichever way he chooses, probably wondering 'is it because I am Black?' The White officer thought the man was rude and arrested him for disorderly conduct . The matter got to the attention of President Barak Obama. He said the police acted stupidly, which I believe is a fair assessment. Now they say Mr Presidents comment smack of racial bias. The noise was all over the place. To cool-u temper, Mr president has invited the two parties to the White House to drink beer.

Pray, did President Obama act wrongly in this matter, dunno. What do you say?
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by newdeal(m): 6:14pm On Jul 29, 2009
The trio:

Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by nex(m): 7:27pm On Jul 29, 2009
Una don begin tribalise USA matter now abi?
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by texazzpete(m): 9:17am On Jul 30, 2009
To be honest, i think Obama acted foolishly in using the 'stupid' word without knowing everything about the case. The last thing he needs is to insert himself into any racially charged argument, it's a lose-lose situation for him.

The white police officer in question is reputed to be pretty friendly to blacks and has no recorded history of racial discrimination.
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by newdeal(m): 9:58am On Jul 30, 2009
@nex

No be us, na dem dem de tribalise their thing
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 30, 2009
texazzpete:

[b]To be honest, i think Obama acted foolishly in using the 'stupid' word without knowing everything about the case. The last thing he needs is to insert himself into any racially charged argument, it's a lose-lose situation for him.[/b]The white police officer in question is reputed to be pretty friendly to blacks and has no recorded history of racial discrimination.

I couldnt agree with you more bros. Whatever the case, the police officer was just doing his job! what if it was a real burglar and he didnt do anything, theyd say it's cos the house belongs to a black man.  Obama no try at all o, haba i was quite surprised when i heard he used that word
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by preselect(m): 8:39pm On Jul 30, 2009
NO obama did not handle this well. he lost his cool and i'm sure he regrets. he is trying to make amends. i hope he succeeds
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by TayoD1(m): 8:54pm On Jul 30, 2009
@pres-elect,

NO obama did not handle this well. he lost his cool and i'm sure he regrets. he is trying to make amends. i hope he succeeds
Are you for real? This must be the schizophrenic half of pres-elect. I thot you sadi on the other thread that the arrest was racially motivated. If it was, how could you say Obama erred by calling the Police stupid? U try no be small.
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by JeSoul(f): 9:04pm On Jul 30, 2009
Adrenaline:

I couldnt agree with you more bros. Whatever the case, the police officer was just doing his job! what if it was a real burglar and he didnt do anything, theyd say it's cos the house belongs to a black man. Obama no try at all o, haba i was quite surprised when i heard he used that word

Gbam, gbam and gbam!!!
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by preselect(m): 9:23pm On Jul 30, 2009
Tayo-D:

@pres-elect,
Are you for real? This must be the schizophrenic half of pres-elect. I thot you sadi on the other thread that the arrest was racially motivated. If it was, how could you say Obama erred by calling the Police stupid? U try no be small.

grin grin grin grin tayo d cheesy sometimes u make me laugh grin grin

anyway, obama is the president. i did not expect him to get involved in this mess and even if he was asked, i expected him to be more cautious with his response.

however, i never maligned the officer. i didnt call him racist. i'll rather say his action was due to a ricial bias that exists perhaps unconsciously in the mind of many americans of all races including some blacks, that blakcs are more likely to be criminals. i have seen black girls who will rush to protect their handbags when they see young black males around them. it's all due to what we see on tv everyday.
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by newdeal(m): 11:32am On Jul 31, 2009
i expected him to be more cautious with his response.

Agreed, but don't you think the police officer acted below expectation? Yes he came there because a curious neighbour tipped him off, but he was sufficiently satisfied that the professor is not a burglar, yet proceeded to arrest him for disorderly conduct, making it look like he wanted to arrest the prof. at all costs. I think that was what drew the ire of president Obama
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by morpheus24: 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2009
newdeal:

Agreed, but don't you think the police officer acted below expectation? Yes he came there because a curious neighbour tipped him off, but he was sufficiently satisfied that the professor is not a burglar, yet proceeded to arrest him for disorderly conduct, making it look like he wanted to arrest the prof. at all costs. I think that was what drew the ire of president Obama

I agree. While I can understand the immense and stressful job the police go through. In some instances their 'Power trips" need to be checked.

Mr Gates has rights and if he feels he is being harrassed, has the right to object

What the hell is 'disorderly conduct"' in front of your house.
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by RichyBlacK(m): 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2009
Yes, Obama acted right!

The cop acted very stupidly!
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by preselect(m): 4:57am On Aug 03, 2009
seriously i think the president should not have involved himself in this.
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by Nobody: 5:27am On Aug 03, 2009
hope the beer has settled the problem?
Re: Did Obama Act Right In The "Blackman Vs Whiteman Case"? by newdeal(m): 10:34am On Aug 03, 2009
seriously i think the president should not have involved himself in this.

Maybe,
maybe not, don't forget the professor in question is a friend of the president.

(1) (Reply)

Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? / Pan African Youth Summit Ghana 2013 / Obama's Brother Living In A Slum In Kenya?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.