Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,618 members, 7,955,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:12 PM

Myths And Reality About Being A Manager - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Myths And Reality About Being A Manager (7898 Views)

5 Things A Janitor Can Do To Become A Manager / 4 Myths About Ican / My Course Of Study And Reality – Modern Trends In Remaining Relevant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by vnmanpower(f): 8:39am On Apr 05, 2016
If you aren’t a manager, maybe you will hear about the following myths all the time and think they are right. Unfortunately, that includes some managers. The important of being an employer or a leader pretty much lies in your self-recognition, so be careful with these misconceptions and illusions in your career path.

Myth #1: Manager makes more money than individual contributors

♦ Reality: Most of you think that, right? But it actually depends. And also do not forget the real hours they have to work. With different kinds of jobs such as sales, artists, athletes, etc, an outstanding individual contributor at least could earn equal to a manager. Management now is only seen as a job which needs some specific skills and not necessary have to be the best one.

Myth #2: Manager is an employee who has the best performance.

♦ Reality: As an illustration, the best athletes don’t make the best coaches. If you promote a staff because of his good results, maybe you’re making a bad decision. Leading a group of people needs much more than specialized knowledge. You will meet a lot of obstacles and challenges which cannot overcome without [url=http://vnmanpower.com/en/search-blog/management%2520skill.html]management skills[/url] and ability to make decision under the high pressure.

Myth #3: Manager doesn’t do anything and have a lot of free time.

♦ Reality: You might see them walking around and talking with some people and straightly think they are the idler. The true is they have to work more than anyone, just in different tasks and different ways. They do not directly make a specific product or service, but they need to manage people who do it, their performance and motivation. If you are a new manager or have intention of being a manager with this thought in your mind, you better off discarding it or you’ll be fired soon.

Myth #4: Manager knows how to do all the jobs they are managing.

♦ Reality: How possible a person can know it all? It could be true for some jobs such as line manager. In the vast majority of cases, however, there's little correlation and it decreases further the higher you go up the management chain.

Myth #5: It is tough to get manager position, but easy to do.

♦ Reality: The reality is actually opposite. If people see your potential, they may promote you for the manager position. But at least to stay in that chair or moreover - move on the next stage – requires confronting more tough challenges than you have ever imagined.

---------------------------------------

These misunderstanding of people about being a manager will lead to the negative results for the relationship between employer and employee. It also defaults as the formula for a manager, which doesn’t exist at all. If you wish to be a great manager, stop looking for that formula and you first become a clever one.

(Source: career blog)

7 Likes

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by ShakurM(m): 8:52am On Apr 05, 2016
Myth
Managers too like women

Reality
They really do like women sad

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by opson2016(m): 8:23pm On Apr 05, 2016
You have put together a great piece. I witness these all the time in my place of work. As a manager in my place, the people in my community see me as a young millionaire, which is actually a myth.

3 Likes

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by vnmanpower(f): 7:33am On Apr 06, 2016
Thanks. I think the label "manager" accompany with so many misunderstandings that even becoming something bad.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by opson2016(m): 9:44am On Apr 06, 2016
vnmanpower:
Thanks. I think the label "manager" accompany with so many misunderstandings that even becoming something bad.

Hey, Pls can you be a guest writer on my blog? I'd drop my whatsapp contact if you are giving it a consideration. My blog is about review of ebooks
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by vnmanpower(f): 8:51am On Apr 09, 2016
opson2016:

Hey, Pls can you be a guest writer on my blog? I'd drop my whatsapp contact if you are giving it a consideration. My blog is about review of ebooks

Thanks for your invite but I don't have time. Hope you could find someone better!
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by bukatyne(f): 10:30am On Apr 09, 2016
@ OP:

Manager as a JD or as a level?
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Kookny(m): 5:51pm On Apr 09, 2016
opson2016:

Hi, pro bono or paid?

We could work together.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by veekid(m): 6:41am On Apr 10, 2016
I ll read later

1 Like

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by lonelydora: 6:43am On Apr 10, 2016
Okay
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Nobody: 6:44am On Apr 10, 2016
OK...

abeg someone should help me...where can I buy charging port flex for inifinix hotenote in abuja?!..

stupid carlcare service is telling me to change my perfectly working cracked calibrator for 8.9k bfor dey work on my phone that is still under warranty !.I even started enjoying de phone wen de calibrator cracked.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Zaikon(m): 6:44am On Apr 10, 2016
80% of all managers get bad manners like they are born with that position.

1 Like

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by yorex2011: 6:46am On Apr 10, 2016
Management requires leadership skills, decision making, very strong people skills, as well as sound judgement, because its a position of huge responsibility makes it accompany a very good salary most times, but this also makes it a difficult one, I know I'll become a manager someday so I'm already preparing myself cheesy
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by kolokolobi(m): 7:16am On Apr 10, 2016
Sorry but this write up is kindergarten material in Management. It is shouldn't have made front page and mislead people into thinking they've learnt what they'd probably use at work tomorrow to show they know something about Management. If anyone tries to do that hope you don't run into someone that's current with Management and leadership thinking. You'd be taken to the cleaners. What was made available above would have been news if it was put up in 1952.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by funmind(f): 7:21am On Apr 10, 2016
yorex2011:
Management requires leadership skills, decision making, very strong people skills, as well as sound judgement, because its a position of huge responsibility makes it accompany a very good salary most times, but this also makes it a difficult one, I know I'll become a manager someday so I'm already preparing myself cheesy
May God help you undecided
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by kolokolobi(m): 7:22am On Apr 10, 2016
Sorry but this write up is kindergarten material in Management. It is shouldn't have made front page and mislead people into thinking they've learnt what they'd probably use at work tomorrow to show they know something about Management. If anyone tries to do that hope you don't run into someone that's current with Management and leadership thinking. You'd be taken to the cleaners. What was made available above would have been news if it was put up in 1952. grin grin grin
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by engrfcuksmtin(m): 7:23am On Apr 10, 2016
cool
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Temismith(f): 7:23am On Apr 10, 2016
some managers are Damagers

2 Likes

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by nightmile: 7:26am On Apr 10, 2016
That's a nice one! In my own case , (Engineering)your work as a manager is made easy if the people you manage know and believe you know the job, fair to all and sometimes handle and rectify long outstanding breakdown yourself. You also have to be patient and must not react to every thing you see cos doing that will only reduce you to a mere nagging house wife. Let the values of your company guide your actions.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Craigston: 7:30am On Apr 10, 2016
True claims OP. Stereotypes about management can form a manual for management as dense as a whole management course.

Myth: Managers are the most important persons in an organization and are the most powerful.
Reality: Every employee is important (the manager is also an employee) and in ideal (or even regular) conditions, they have only authority, not power, over their units, and such authority is for the efficient and optimal functioning of their units.

2 Likes

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 10, 2016
takuradua@gmail.com
Temismith:
some managers are Damagers
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by geniusgenes: 7:42am On Apr 10, 2016
This is revealing.

Slash down your budget on toxic air fresheners, Read about these natural indoor plants that refresh the air around your home naturally. See link on signature.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by amshak(m): 8:10am On Apr 10, 2016
vnmanpower:
If you aren’t a manager, maybe you will hear about the following myths all the time and think they are right. Unfortunately, that includes some managers. The important of being an employer or a leader pretty much lies in your self-recognition, so be careful with these misconceptions and illusions in your career path.

Myth #1: Manager makes more money than individual contributors

♦ Reality: Most of you think that, right? But it actually depends. And also do not forget the real hours they have to work. With different kinds of jobs such as sales, artists, athletes, etc, an outstanding individual contributor at least could earn equal to a manager. Management now is only seen as a job which needs some specific skills and not necessary have to be the best one.

Myth #2: Manager is an employee who has the best performance.

♦ Reality: As an illustration, the best athletes don’t make the best coaches. If you promote a staff because of his good results, maybe you’re making a bad decision. Leading a group of people needs much more than specialized knowledge. You will meet a lot of obstacles and challenges which cannot overcome without [url=http://vnmanpower.com/en/search-blog/management%2520skill.html]management skills[/url] and ability to make decision under the high pressure.

Myth #3: Manager doesn’t do anything and have a lot of free time.

♦ Reality: You might see them walking around and talking with some people and straightly think they are the idler. The true is they have to work more than anyone, just in different tasks and different ways. They do not directly make a specific product or service, but they need to manage people who do it, their performance and motivation. If you are a new manager or have intention of being a manager with this thought in your mind, you better off discarding it or you’ll be fired soon.

Myth #4: Manager knows how to do all the jobs they are managing.

♦ Reality: How possible a person can know it all? It could be true for some jobs such as line manager. In the vast majority of cases, however, there's little correlation and it decreases further the higher you go up the management chain.

Myth #5: It is tough to get manager position, but easy to do.

♦ Reality: The reality is actually opposite. If people see your potential, they may promote you for the manager position. But at least to stay in that chair or moreover - move on the next stage – requires confronting more tough challenges than you have ever imagined.

---------------------------------------

These misunderstanding of people about being a manager will lead to the negative results for the relationship between employer and employee. It also defaults as the formula for a manager, which doesn’t exist at all. If you wish to be a great manager, stop looking for that formula and you first become a clever one.

(Source: career blog)
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Zdoh(m): 8:12am On Apr 10, 2016
Been a manager is not a small task but I just love the fact that I will be in charge.My dream is to be the owner(C.E.O),FREEDOM.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by amshak(m): 8:16am On Apr 10, 2016
educative
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Wealthyonos(m): 12:23pm On Apr 10, 2016
opson2016:

I can write for you for free if you so wish. But i can only create time to write once in a week provided you agree to my terms.
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Wealthyonos(m): 12:30pm On Apr 10, 2016
Myth: The manager is the owner of the company. This happens especially when the owner comes once in a year.

1 Like

Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by yorex2011: 1:50pm On Apr 10, 2016
funmind:

May God help you undecided
Amen smiley
Re: Myths And Reality About Being A Manager by Adesiji77: 2:46pm On Apr 10, 2016
cheesy

(1) (Reply)

9 Management Lessons From Atedo Peterside / [PHOTOS] Chartered Institute Of Taxation (CITN) Hold Her 39th Induction Ceremony / Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.