Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems (5174 Views)

What Was God Doing Before He Created The Universe? / Mbaka Raises Alarm About Buhari's Life & Current Situation Of Things / Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by plaetton: 2:45pm On Apr 05, 2016
I still struggle to understand religious beliefs and faith .

I mean, Nigerians are a very prayerful people.
Infact, we spend a good portion of time praying for supernatural blessings and interventions in our daily affairs, to the point where it seems like a psychological addiction.

Like all addictions, we hardly take a minute to take stock, audit or re- evaluate our positions and our acts.

Now, there has been Chaos, a complete breakdown of the primary arteries of life and the economy in Nigeria for the past 2 months.

Where is the hand of God in all of this suffering , considering that we spend a lot of time and money whispering , shouting and beseeching God every hour, every day to save us from all the inconveniences of life ?

I am just trying to figure out what role religion plays in the lives of people who live ,struggle and suffer as we do here in Nigeria.

Is religion a necessary palliative for the suffering and confused masses, or an integral part of the Nigerian psyche which, itself , produces the type of chaos we see here ?

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 05, 2016
my brother the suffering is so much ,I'm thinking of fleeing this country .though I fought for change but the change has become a curse on Nigerians lol or if there is a God let him help naija abeg ,though I believe none of the popular gods

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by johnydon22(m): 3:36pm On Apr 05, 2016
The God(s) are still using swords and riding horses there is nothing they can do for us who now fly on aeroplanes.

There are no gods flying down to help humanity, the power to mar or save ourselves sorely rests with us.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 05, 2016
Nigerians are so stupid! Religion has not helped us at all! I even pity people who blow up (kill) themselves and other people all in the name of the hoax called religious. Politicians know this that's why they pay clerics to encourage people to be religious. They know the day people drop their religion, that day their eyes will be opened, They will then realize how evil these politicians have been and then choose to fight or over throw them. The way they are going now shows they will soon be overthrown. All of them. A handful of Nigerians are now becoming atheists, Some are sensing there is nothing in their religion but they are scared to think of it not to talk of making up their minds. People are getting wiser now

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 05, 2016
For Nigeria to be great, her citizens will need to rise up and fight these corrupt politicians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2016
Good work plaetton. Attack God and faith by taking advantage of the suffering of the people.

What handwork of God will pacify your hatred of religion?

What good will it be to tell you that God is moving at the root of the problem by changing the mindset of our youth against corruption, tribalism, violence, hatred?

For the good of those genuinely interested, Gods primary work is changing the hearts of people. You cannot have a new world, a new nation, without new men. Eradicate the problem of the evil human nature, and you save humanity's future.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Shollyps(m): 4:33pm On Apr 05, 2016
that's why I will keep repeating it...that prayer doesn't work...despite all the prayers in Nigeria today...Christian Muslim,traditionalist.... Nigeria is becoming worse... why?
..we av prophets who can move mountains so to say,who. can pray n fast...who can heal the sick..wake the dead...but just to pray to their God for Nigeria to be better...its. very difficult for God to do...he prefer to sit up there n watch his beloved people suffer...praying n fasting ..and still no change...today..the Church beside my house prayed from 7am-5pm...and their only prayer today is for Nigeria... still God will still be looking at them without doing anything... how can we explain that....it is when we realize that we the citizens,we are the only one who can turn things around for good... it is the work of everybody that can make Nigeria a better place. prayer won't change anything... just a waste of time... the developed countries are not where they are today by prayer...the japan ,China...no they are where they are because of their cooperation,hardworking ,a good government...
...a quote says.... Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped
in prayer...don't let us rely on some imaginary creatures who are nowhere to be found wen you needed them most...we are the only one who can turn things .around for good... god is more concern with people who are lying,fornicating than the welfare of Nigerians... he prefer to keep the record of your wrong doing than to help in times of trouble. ......

my bosses :plaetton n Johny...you are sighted

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by plaetton: 4:42pm On Apr 05, 2016
Joshthefirst:

1.Good work plaetton. Attack God and faith by taking advantage of the suffering of the people.

2.What handwork of God will pacify your hatred of religion?

3.What good will it be to tell you that God is moving at the root of the problem by changing the mindset of our youth against corruption, tribalism, violence, hatred?

4.For the good of those genuinely interested, Gods primary work is changing the hearts of people. You cannot have a new world, a new nation, without new men. Eradicate the problem of the evil human nature, and you save humanity's future.

1. Why not ?
I also attack the Toothfairy when inflation takes a bite off my $3.75 yearly stipends.

2- 3. God answer the prayers of Nigerians , not by gradual evolution of a progressive mindset, but doing what he did during creation; wave the magic wand , and, Abracadabra.
Prayers are about magic, miracles and supernatural intervention, not a slow gradual , chaotic and random processes and events. God doesn't do evolution.
Remember ? undecided

4. Well, did God just figure out that are evil men in the world ?
Gosh, hasn't he been in this business for 4.7 billion yrs, or is it 6000 yrs ?
If God is just figuring out now that the evil nature of man is the problem, then we may have to wait another 4 billion yrs for a much needed correction.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by virginboy1(m): 4:44pm On Apr 05, 2016
plaetton:
I still struggle to understand religious beliefs and faith .

I mean, Nigerians are a very prayerful people.
Infact, we spend a good portion of time praying for supernatural blessings and interventions in our daily affairs, to the point where it seems like a psychological addiction.

Like all addictions, we hardly take a minute to take stock, audit or re- evaluate our positions and our acts.

Now, there has been Chaos, a complete breakdown of the primary arteries of life and the economy in Nigeria for the past 2 months.

Where is the hand of God in all of this suffering , considering that we spend a lot of time and money whispering , shouting and beseeching God every hour, every day to save us from all the inconveniences of life ?

I am just trying to figure out what role religion plays in the lives of people who live ,struggle and suffer as we do here in Nigeria.

Is religion a necessary palliative for the suffering and confused masses, or an integral part of the Nigerian psyche which, itself , produces the type of chaos we see here ?

Because it's End Time. ask Kingebukablog

This post supposed to enter frontage.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 4:53pm On Apr 05, 2016
plaetton:

1. Why not ?
I also attack the Toothfairy when inflation takes a bite off my $3.75 yearly stipends.

2- 3. God answer the prayers of Nigerians , not by gradual evolution of a progressive mindset, but doing what he did during creation; wave the magic wand , and, Abracadabra.
Prayers are about magic, miracles and supernatural intervention, not a slow gradual , chaotic and random processes and events. God doesn't do evolution.
Remember ? undecided

4. Well, did God just figure out that are evil men in the world ?
Gosh, hasn't he been in this business for 4.7 billion yrs, or is it 6000 yrs ?
If God is just figuring out now that the evil nature of man is the problem, then we may have to wait another 4 billion yrs for a much needed correction.
God's abracadabra would involve having a lot of people, including your old self, disappear to a fiery place without hope of return. Better he takes time to raise better people for his good place, while affording his problem children a chance to change their hearts and mindsets also.

And when did I imply imply that God just figured out evil? undecided
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 4:57pm On Apr 05, 2016
virginboy1:

I support.

OAM4J, Lalasticlala abeg you fit move post from religion section wey go actually support mass thinking and pondering of nairalanders to front page?

Most of the religion section topics that make front page misrepresent the calibre of thinkers we have here.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by plaetton: 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2016
Joshthefirst:
God's abracadabra would involve having a lot of people, including your old self, disappear to a fiery place without hope of return. Better he takes time to raise better people for his good place, while affording his problem children a chance to change their hearts and mindsets also.

And when did I imply imply that God just figured out evil? undecided

Firstly, in Nigeria for good example, it has been Bible and Koran believing slowpoke, moral schizophrenics like yourself, that have been in charge and led us to where we are today .
If your god think that unbelievers of stone age bullshytes are the problem, then sorry to say that your god might be an iddiot.

But if you think your God is taking his time to EVOLVE Better people to run our affairs, then he is an evolutionist and not a creator as you morons like to pontificate.

Funny how the contradictions of your silly beliefs wrap around you like a spider's web.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by texanomaly(f): 5:14pm On Apr 05, 2016
The problem is not that He doesn't answer prayers. The problem is that we all have free agency, and we have no control over those who would use their free agency against us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2016
plaetton:

Firstly, in Nigeria for good example, it has been Bible and Koran believing slowpoke, moral schizophrenics like yourself, that have been in charge and led us to where we are today .
If your thinks that unbelievers of stone age bullshytes are the problem, then sorry to say that your god is an iddiot.

But if you think your God is taking his time to EVOLVE Better people to run our affairs, then he is an evolutionist and not a creator as you morons like to pontificate.

Funny how the contradictions of your silly beliefs wrap around you like a spider's web.
No, it is confused immoral men that have led us to where we are as a country.

And foolish old men trying to blame God or religion for our problems will only render us on worse paths.

Maybe you need a science lesson as well as an English lesson to help you understand what evolution and creation and various terms are so that you don't fall deeper than you already have into the throes of confusion.
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by plaetton: 5:35pm On Apr 05, 2016
Joshthefirst:

1. No, it is confused immoral men that have led us to where we are as a country.

2. And foolish old men trying to blame God or religion for our problems will only render us on worse paths.

3.Maybe you need a science lesson as well as an English lesson to help you understand what evolution and creation and various terms are so that you don't fall deeper than you already have into the throes of confusion.

1. Confused or immoral( which is correct) , they swore by the morally schizophrenic Bible and Koran.
Is it any wonder that they are confused and immoral ? grin

2. At what age is someone called an old man in your village, Josh ?
I am in my 40s.
If a man in his 40s is an old man in your village, then the Yahweh must be really angry at your village folks.
grin

3. Another meaningless babble. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by plaetton: 5:41pm On Apr 05, 2016
texanomaly:
The problem is not that He doesn't answer prayers. The problem is that we all have free agency, and we have no control over those who would use their free agency against us.
Fair answer.

As such, would you then agree that prayers and supplications are redundant and superfluous ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 5:52pm On Apr 05, 2016
plaetton:

1. Confused or immoral( which is correct) , they swore by the morally schizophrenic Bible and Koran.
Is it any wonder that they are confused and immoral ? grin

2. At what age is someone called an old man in your village, Josh ?
I am in my 40s.
If a man in his 40s is an old man in your village, then the Yahweh must be really angry at your village folks.
grin

3. Another meaningless babble. undecided

I wonder by whom the atheistic and evolutionist stalin or hitler swore by. In their case the various atrocities they wrought are only viable results of their world views while in our case the various immoralities are violations.

And old man was only intended to spice my post like morally schizophrenic slowpoke spiced yours. cheesy
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by CoolUsername: 6:13pm On Apr 05, 2016
Mysterious Ways™.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by verboten: 6:58pm On Apr 05, 2016
We need to focus our prayers on the international economic scene, since most of the problem comes from there. People are still praying against their neighbour or for contract or some other local thing. We have to stop that and focus on the big picture.
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2016
virginboy1:

Because it's End Time. ask Kingebukablog

Its KingEbukasBlog ...smh .

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by cold(m): 8:07pm On Apr 05, 2016
Sholyps put it succinctly...PRAYERS DON'T WORK! Simple as!
We all agree that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity. But theists always want to make an exception for prayers. Things aren't working,they insist you pray even harder. Still not working,they insist you fast for longer. Nigerians will continue to pray for petrol queues to disappear. They'll continue to pray for 24/7 power supply,they'll continue to pray for the economy to improve,they'll pray for everything that is solved by common sense in saner climes. This is not because they believe their prayers will be answered but it simply takes the responsibility off their shoulders and places it in the arms of a supposed supreme deity whom if he truly exists is as useless as a used condom in the grand scheme of things.
Nigerians have their heads so far up their arses,they can't see the wood for the trees. It's a sorry state of affairs...deep sigh

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Oluwaseytiano(m): 9:16pm On Apr 05, 2016
I agree with you op. If the Jesu. the Mohammed and ifa of this country can't move it forward then shame on them

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by simplex2: 9:28pm On Apr 05, 2016
Oh! He works in mysterious ways!

Haven't you heard?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by ValentineMary(m): 10:37pm On Apr 05, 2016
My grandfather prayed for a better Nigeria, my father prayed for a better Nigeria, Millions of christians pray daily for a better Nigeria and still there is no effect. Is it not time we got up from our lazy ass and began to work? I always tell people that no dead jew would come and zap Nigeria into bliss. Rather we would be waiting till we die.

No wonder Napoleon said that religion is opium for d masses because it makes them shut up about their problems in hope of a better life. That is just a mirage, the sooner we realise that earth is our only home and there is no heaven or hell, that God is a construct of d human mind, that religion was made to shut u up, then u would fight for ur right and freedom to sustain the country for urself and ur children.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by 4C2215131: 12:00am On Apr 06, 2016
The gods will not do for man what he can do for himself. Same applies to God...I think (who can fathom His mind!)
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by virginboy1(m): 12:00am On Apr 06, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Its KingEbukasBlog ...smh .
All join, Thanks for the correction though.
But You don't need to syh.
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joeblis(m): 12:11am On Apr 06, 2016
you can't blame God for the hardship we are facing, God provided everything we'll need to prosper and blossom as a nation but everything has been thrown to shambles.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by cloudgoddess(f): 12:47am On Apr 06, 2016
Joeblis:
you can't blame God for the hardship we are facing, God provided everything we'll need to prosper and blossom as a nation but everything has been thrown to shambles.
And god could not prevent these shambles because....?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by texanomaly(f): 2:35am On Apr 06, 2016
plaetton:

Fair answer.

As such, would you then agree that prayers and supplications are redundant and superfluous ?

No.

I've had prayers answered before. I think what some people fail to consider is that sometimes the answer is "NO". It could even be "Not now". I have had times of doubt, but I also know I've had prayers answered.

I can see your point though. Sometimes I wonder how much more He thinks we can take. It's not always easy to "keep the faith".

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:39am On Apr 06, 2016
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joeblis(m): 7:51am On Apr 06, 2016
cloudgoddess:

And god could not prevent these shambles because....?
God gave us freewill the moment we are created.. you get to choose what i s bad or good and any part you choose whether good or bad has the tendency to affect people around you , imagine an elected official embezzling $2b in a poverty-stricken nation whose fault is that? the problems we facing is man made so the solutions are definitely going to be man made too
so when you get a position of authority you can be difference, you only ask God for inspiration on how being about that change.
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 7:59am On Apr 06, 2016
ValentineMary:
My grandfather prayed for a better Nigeria, my father prayed for a better Nigeria, Millions of christians pray daily for a better Nigeria and still there is no effect. Is it not time we got up from our lazy ass and began to work? I always tell people that no dead jew would come and zap Nigeria into bliss. Rather we would be waiting till we die.

No wonder Napoleon said that religion is opium for d masses because it makes them shut up about their problems in hope of a better life. That is just a mirage, the sooner we realise that earth is our only home and there is no heaven or hell, that God is a construct of d human mind, that religion was made to shut u up, then u would fight for ur right and freedom to sustain the country for urself and ur children.
It is obvious our country needs a recall of the educational sector also. Karl Marx, and not Napoleon, said religion is the opium of the people. undecided

Interesting that people wrongly use that quote to support atheism and irreligion. Here's the quote in context.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Lol. You do not even understand what Marx was trying to pass across in that statement.

It is obvious that one of the chief problems of this country is lack of education. This same lack of education makes ignorant people swallow up the hopelessness and misdirection of atheism thinking it is an answer. How unfortunate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If The Bones Of Jesus Were Found / Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? / Sex Is A Spiritual Affair: Unlawful Sex Is A Destiny Killer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.