Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,857 members, 7,810,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? (5171 Views)

An Atheist's Interpretation Of Deuteronomy 25:11-12. / Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings / Popular Bible Quotations For Memorization And Meditation — Deuteronomy 31:8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Youngsage: 4:10pm On May 03, 2012
If no, then who did ?
If yes, do explain.
So let us discuss, bible scholars.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by flourishG(m): 4:38pm On May 03, 2012
What exactly is your point here?
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by aurenflani: 6:21pm On May 03, 2012
Maybe Moses wrote his obituary. Muhehehehe...i no fit laugh.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by flourishG(m): 6:39pm On May 03, 2012
Moses did not write his obituary. The bible was not originally written in chapters and verses. It was written in scroll without chapters and verses. Then it was later broken down into chapters and verses just to allow easy readability.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by aurenflani: 9:04pm On May 03, 2012
@flourishG - Do not try that gymnastics with me. The book was supposed to have been written by Moses but yet telling us of when he died and evev his age at 120. What has that got to do with your numbering of verses?.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:38pm On May 03, 2012
Hardly have been written by Moses, when he is just narrating the death of Moses.
It would be interesting to think before writing, thank you.

34.5 "Died there in Moab Moses the servant of the Lord, as the LORD had said. 6 and was buried in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to date no one knows where his grave."
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Youngsage: 12:28am On May 04, 2012
flourishG: What exactly is your point here?
My point is clear enough. To challenge our reasoning to provide a reasonable answer to the above question(s).
I know and suppose that most people know, that Moses wrote the first five books of the bible namely: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
But did he write the Whole of Deuteronomy, or just some part of it? Or did Joshua write the last chapter? What y'all thinking?
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by mazaje(m): 12:49am On May 04, 2012
Moses did not write any of the 5 books in the bible. Tradition is what ascribes the authorship to him. . .The first 5 books of the bible were written by some many different authors, the book of genesis alone has more than one author. . .No where in any of the books did moses claim authorship, even moses was addressed in third person narrative. . . the different writing styles and wordings show that the books were written by so many different authors. . . .

1 Like

Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Nobody: 1:25am On May 04, 2012
the bible was written by the knight templars/illuminati.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by mazaje(m): 7:14am On May 04, 2012
^^
grin . . . The bible was written long before the templars and Illuminati came into existence. . .
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by lekkie073(m): 8:52am On May 04, 2012
that means moses wrote about his own death too.....bible! I no fit shout.....
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:18pm On May 04, 2012
Youngsage:

My point is clear enough. To challenge our reasoning to provide a reasonable answer to the above question(s).
I know and suppose that most people know, that Moses wrote the first five books of the bible namely: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
But did he write the Whole of Deuteronomy, or just some part of it? Or did Joshua write the last chapter? What y'all thinking?

Joshua probably did.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by lekkie073(m): 1:05pm On May 04, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Joshua probably did.
Then the church lied by saying moses wrote deuteronomy......
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:21pm On May 04, 2012
flourishG:

Moses did not write his obituary. The bible was not originally written in chapters and verses. It was written in scroll without chapters and verses. Then it was later broken down into chapters and verses just to allow easy readability.

Good point.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:24pm On May 04, 2012
lekkie073:

Supposing your deputy adds a brief description of how you died to your uncompleted personal memoirs, would that disqualify you from being the author of that biography?
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by mazaje(m): 2:57pm On May 04, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Supposing your deputy adds a brief description of how you died to your uncompleted personal memoirs, would that disqualify you from being the author of that biography?

Where did Moses claim authorship in any of the books?. . .Where did Moses indicate that he wrote the book of Leviticus, numbers or exodus?. . .
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Youngsage: 4:28pm On May 04, 2012
mazaje:

Where did Moses claim authorship in any of the books?. . .Where did Moses indicate that he wrote the book of Leviticus, numbers or exodus?. . .
Exodus 17:14 - "Then the Lord instructed Moses, write down this as a permanent record"...
Exodus 24:4-"Then Moses carefully wrote down all the Lord's instructions"... See also Exodus 34:27, Leviticus 1:1; 6:8. Deuteronomy 31:9, vs 24-26, Joshua1:7-8, chapter 8:31-34, and chapt. 22:5. See also 2Chronicles 34:14, Mark7:10, and Mark12:24.
The above passages are some of the passages which show Moses as the author of the book of the law.
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by mazaje(m): 4:45pm On May 04, 2012
Youngsage:
Exodus 17:14 - "Then the Lord instructed Moses, write down this as a permanent record"...
Exodus 24:4-"Then Moses carefully wrote down all the Lord's instructions"... See also Exodus 34:27, Leviticus 1:1; 6:8. Deuteronomy 31:9, vs 24-26, Joshua1:7-8, chapter 8:31-34, and chapt. 22:5. See also 2Chronicles 34:14, Mark7:10, and Mark12:24.
The above passages are some of the passages which show Moses as the author of the book of the law.

I said where did Moses claim author ship of the books of Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers and your are coming up with this drivel?. . .The Lord instructed Moses to write instructions is a narrative about Moses, it is somebody relating what Moses did, it is written in the third person narrative indicating that it wasn't Moses writing it. . .If it were Moses it will be written as the Lord instructed me to write down his instructions. . .Writing down the lord's instruction does NOT equate to writing down the book of Numbers, Leviticus or exodus, writing down some particular laws does not equate to writing down a whole book assuming Moses actually wrote down the laws. . .I asked you to tell where Moses claimed author ship of any of the books. . .If you read the books of Paul you will see where he claimed authorship, where did Moses claim authorship in any of the books?. . .If you read the book of Exodus or Genesis without being told who the author was, how will you know it was written by Moses?. . .The scholarly consensus is that Moses did not write down any of the books. . .Many different authors wrote down the books. . .Even the Genesis creation stories in verse 1 and 2 were written by different people are different periods. . .
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Ptolomeus(m): 6:35pm On May 04, 2012
diluminati: the bible was written by the knight templars/illuminati.
Yes. And fundamentally the New Testament was written by many others ... And so all this was changed, deleted or re-invented by the Catholic church at your convenience.
The last step (of course) is the translation, each translator expresses their convenience facts that have nothing to do with what results.
The thought that a book like this is the only remaining substance of Christian belief that all credibility.
This is an example: at the beginning of the thread someone said that Moses had written about his own death ... with the low level of analysis is difficult to get something serious ...
Look at the answers ... "was Joshua", "was Moses' ... terrible ...
If they ignore who wrote it, imagine what they can understand the content!
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:40pm On May 04, 2012
Who was narrating the death of Moses, then? Is it not the same Moses? I died and i was buried, said Moses... grin
Ptolomeus: Hardly have been written by Moses, when he is just narrating the death of Moses.
It would be interesting to think before writing, thank you.

34.5 "Died there in Moab Moses the servant of the Lord, as the LORD had said. 6 and was buried in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to date no one knows where his grave."
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Ptolomeus(m): 8:05pm On May 04, 2012
Jenwitemi: Who was narrating the death of Moses, then? Is it not the same Moses? I died and i was buried, said Moses... grin
grin grin grin
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by lekkie073(m): 7:50am On May 05, 2012
in the beginning, God created the heavens,.....whoever in the bible dat wrote this must have been side by side with God when baba was busy creating......total absurdity!
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 05, 2012
@OP,
You might go here for some answers-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/torah
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Youngsage: 3:13pm On May 18, 2012
Let's share our opinions on this thread so that others can learn. This is getting interesting...
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by Tinyemeka(m): 8:59am On May 19, 2012
lekkie073:

I don't know. Where is it stated that Moses himself wrote the book of Deuteronomy?
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by lekkie073(m): 9:49am On May 19, 2012
Tinyemeka:

I don't know. Where is it stated that Moses himself wrote the book of Deuteronomy?
So who is decieving who?
Re: Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? by dekung(m): 1:29pm On May 19, 2012
I think it will be better before we all start speculting to go ahead and read Thomas Paine's Age of Reason, part II. There he did a good job in piecing together writting styles and the messages in most of the books in the old testament thereby coming up with who may have written which book.

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Healed A Sick Person? / Having Sex In Dream. / Is There Anything Special When You Pray On The Mountain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.