Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large (15589 Views)

Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill / Emir Sanusi To Nigerian Muslims: "Let’s Peg Marriage Age" / Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 30, 2016
DivaFiva:

You've got good points no doubt but let me tell you, things are not that easy.
It's like saying northerners should have equal cut off points as the southern when we both know given their situation, the northerners will have no place with education. This is not because they are any less smart but it's not their cultural norm to engage actively in western education as other regions.

Over time, when the gap is bridged then there can be equity i.e an equal playing field for all.
Left to our devices, women can only do so much. We need policies to back us up so when it becomes the norm men don't need to be reminded women are just as deserving, then you can let go.
Divorce laws in Nigeria is not as concrete so I dunno what to say about that but I do know that more often than not, a woman is thrown out of her matrimonial home not the other way round.
about the northern cut off mark stuff,I don't believe that yet,until I experience it physically...,what policies do you want kindly list them

About the women been thrown out,I have not hear,read about or experience a scenario whereby a woman will be thrown out of her own house after a divorce,the ones I know of,the house/houses is always that of the men,and in cases whereby they both build the house together my stance as always been that the house should either be sold or rented off with both parties getting equal share/profit...............we cannot say the same for our western first world friends that in every case the woman always get custody of the house irrespective of who owns it,and one can't go to the court,because it already part of their marriage law,is this equality to you,is this part of the policies that you want in nigeria
Re: 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large by DivaFiva: 2:38am On May 12, 2016
porozhniy:
Equal opportunity does not always amount to equal outcome;- running for a political office is open to both gender, mostly men contest. We have equal rights to own properties, equal access to education, yet a good number of women tend not make use of those rights. Heck! You even have a women ministry, special funds for women entrepreneurs, scholarships for females only, yet more whining. What y'all see as gender inequality is simply women refusing to take personal responsibility for their lives. What proponents of that bill want is simply, i.e:- No fault divorce, hefty divorce pay outs, parental alienation while forcing the man to support kids he may never see again, get out of trouble/ destroy a man's life using rape hoaxes & false domestic abuse allegations, thought police for men, mansplaining, quota system for women . . . How does any of this benefit the men?
Let me put you in our shoes.
You are born to a family that probably preferred a male child but they had to manage you till God blesses them again. You are growing up with older family members saying things like " is that how you'll do in your husband house" like it's her final destination. As an adult, she is often left out from family meetings or property inheritance from her father because she'll be married soon. If she is yet to be married, her parents will hardly let her move out and be on her own, for her own safety.
Finally, she gets married and changes her last name. Yay, she's now woman. She may want to go do her get a job, some women need permission from husband else no job or admission. She then gets to carry their baby, though not disabled, She can be asked by her husband to quit and care for the child instead.
Then, let's imagine she was a Yoruba woman who married into a Kalabari family, what are the odds that this woman would be an elected official in Rivers State LGA with the name Olajumoke Harry??
At every point we are disadvantaged that's why there are institutions to help us up. These don't even begin to cover what we face but it's okay, because, change will definitely come.
Re: 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large by Horus(m): 9:02pm On Jul 06, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Tj96uzsYQ

[size=14pt]The Gender Equality Bill in Nigeria[/size]
Re: 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large by Princiology(m): 5:50am On Jun 21, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... / Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Why Are People Buried Late After Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.