Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? (9887 Views)

Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates / Car Not Accelerating Fast / Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by SuperSuave(m): 8:30am On Apr 07, 2016
Good morning everyone. Permit me to just go straight to the point.

My brother got a second hand Toyota corolla 2003 model in December and it was working perfectly, about 2weeks ago he changed the engine oil(Total quartz 5000) and we started to notice some smoke from the exhaust pipe(a neighbour said he noticed the smoke before then) he thought it was the engine oil that caused the smoke so he called the former owner who told him he uses Forte oil for the car then.

We called a mechanic in the neighborhood who checked it and said it's not the oil, they regulated a lot of things ranging from the "eflometer"(not sure of the correct spelling) to buying new plugs, washing the nozzles and all but the smoke didn't stop.

What I noticed is that after doing the above things the smoke changed from black to white which I think is normal because the car doesn't smoke now unless you raise it to 5+ on the gauge or whatever but my brother is still not satisfied.

My question is: is it possible for a car not to smoke at all even raising it to 5+ on the gauge abi wet in dem dey call am?
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:41am On Apr 07, 2016
SuperSuave:

My brother got a second hand Toyota corolla 2003 model in December and it was working perfectly, about 2weeks ago he changed the engine oil(Total quartz 5000) and we started to notice some smoke from the exhaust pipe(a neighbour said he noticed the smoke before then) he thought it was the engine oil that caused the smoke so he called the former owner who told him he uses Forte oil for the car then.

We called a mechanic in the neighborhood who checked it and said it's not the oil, they regulated a lot of things ranging from the "eflometer"(not sure of the correct spelling) to buying new plugs, washing the nozzles and all but the smoke didn't stop.

What I noticed is that after doing the above things the smoke changed from black to white which I think is normal because the car doesn't smoke now unless you raise it to 5+ on the gauge or whatever but my brother is still not satisfied.

My question is: is it possible for a car not to smoke at all even raising it to 5+ on the gauge abi wet in dem dey call am?

every car that burns some form of fuel (apart from the hydrogen vehicles) will leave behind some form of black smoke. Simple test, get a while socks, attach to your exhaust and rev a bit, after a while it will turn black. In your case it seems you had a car that was burning excessive fuel (black smoke) and. Now it has upgraded your problem to burning oil as well (blue/white smoke) there are better ways of troubleshooting problems using scanners and diagnostic equipment, instead of poking arround with everything and hoping one of the things poked solved the issue. Visit a mechanic with that has and can use diagnostic equipment, this should solve your problem.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 07, 2016
No
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by honmusa(m): 9:05am On Apr 07, 2016
SuperSuave:

A well maintained car is not supposed to smoke regardless of the extent of the rev (engine speed).
A black smoke is sign of engine running rich (high fuel consumption )while white smoke is a sign that oil is leaking into your combustion chamber as a result of wear in the cylinder ring,worn cylinder bore or worn valve .This due to improper lubrication as a result of not using the factory recommended oil for servicing or build up of sludge in the engine .
Try to find out why reason for the white smoke by running a leak down test or cylinder compression test on your engine and run a diagnosis on your power train for the reason for the black smoke .Look for a tech shop that can run this all these test for you or if you are in Lagos ,call autologic @ 08061166316 for all these diagnosis.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by nanizle(m): 9:11am On Apr 07, 2016
Cars should normally not 'smoke' at any rev. If it does, then there's a problem with the engine/combustion/emission control system.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by 9icetoo(m): 9:59am On Apr 07, 2016
white smoke could be vapour. if it clears after driving the car a while, then u don't have a problem. if you notice it only after reving to 5k rpm, then you dont really have a problem.
you hardly drive at 5k rpm though unless you hit speeds of 160 km/hr and above.
total quartz 5000 is wrong for you car.
at high rpms, all cars run rich (non turbocharged petrols). some give out visible smoke, some don't. but if you apply the sock test Gazzuz mentioned, you will surely capture some soot.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by phibetakappa: 3:18pm On Apr 07, 2016
Is it white smoke? Because it could be vapour. Do you see water dripping down the exhaust?

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by SuperSuave(m): 12:11pm On Apr 28, 2016
9icetoo:
white smoke could be vapour. if it clears after driving the car a while, then u don't have a problem. if you notice it only after reving to 5k rpm, then you dont really have a problem.
you hardly drive at 5k rpm though unless you hit speeds of 160 km/hr and above.
total quartz 5000 is wrong for you car.
at high rpms, all cars run rich (non turbocharged petrols). some give out visible smoke, some don't. but if you apply the sock test Gazzuz mentioned, you will surely capture some soot.
soot actually poured out in form of fluid the first time, very black.

Which oil do you recommend?

bangalee1:
[size=18pt]NAIJA MAN SHA, SEE QUESHION O[/size]
Omotayor123:
Is it Possible for a Man not to sweet at all
PonmileJ:
Lemme reframe your question, is it possible for human not to pass excrete?
Now what do we call these? undecided Naija mentality, naija orientation or what? If you do not know something why try so hard to put off someone who's willing to know undecided itk's

As you can see from other replies on the thread from professionals and people who know how cars work, its possible.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by SuperSuave(m): 12:12pm On Apr 28, 2016
phibetakappa:
Is it white smoke? Because it could be vapour. Do you see water dripping down the exhaust?
white smoke...it clears later in the day after driving for an hour or so and returns in the morning again

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by AutoJoshNG: 1:23pm On Apr 28, 2016
SuperSuave:
white smoke...it clears later in the day after driving for an hour or so and returns in the morning again

Hello SuperSuave,

It is most likely vapour if it comes in the morning and clears later. However, you need to read the vehicle manual and only use the recommended engine oil. It's not about forte oil or mobil oil, use the correct engine oil code e.g SAE 5W-30.

Autojoshng

8 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Apr 28, 2016
Yes. A modern gasoline engine with the emission control system in good shape, and the engine not burning oil will not smoke.

At all.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by nedu2000(m): 6:13pm On Apr 28, 2016
Then what is the exhaust for? Poo?
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 28, 2016
nedu2000:
Then what is the exhaust for? Poo?

Nothing wrong with not being clued up in certain issues.

If you decide to be civil, I could explain things. Otherwise, feel free to figure it out for yourself, I'm sure you'll find the answers.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by nedu2000(m): 11:26pm On Apr 28, 2016
Siena:

Nothing wrong with not being clued up in certain issues.

If you decide to be civil, I could explain things. Otherwise, feel free to figure it out for yourself, I'm sure you'll find the answers.
sorry about the way I came out,didn't mean to make anyone feel bad cc SuperSuave apologises

4 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Nobody: 12:56am On Apr 29, 2016
nedu2000:
sorry about the way I came out,didn't mean to make anyone feel bad cc SuperSuave apologises

No worries bro, I probably over reacted, it's been a long day.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by MrPresident1: 6:21am On Apr 29, 2016
What does your car smoke, Benson or Marlboro?

6 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by bangalee1(m): 6:21am On Apr 29, 2016
[size=18pt]NAIJA MAN SHA, SEE QUESHION O[/size]
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by brunofarad(m): 6:28am On Apr 29, 2016
A picture of the supposes white smoke will be helpful u know.

Cos I have a feeling it may be vapour

6 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by slapandfall(m): 6:40am On Apr 29, 2016
Yes
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by topeal(f): 6:42am On Apr 29, 2016
MrPresident1:
What does your car smoke, Benson or Marlboro?
grin ;Daccuse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by efonat(m): 6:47am On Apr 29, 2016
[size=30pt]Is d car taking much fuel? Have to check the brain box cos that's what I trying to stop in my car now. Gud luck.[/size]
SuperSuave:

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by EbiJUNIRO(m): 6:56am On Apr 29, 2016
It's posible
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by lonelydora: 6:57am On Apr 29, 2016
That your neighbors mechanic that came and started manupulating things should not be allowed to touch that car again.

If the smoke comes out in the morning and disappears later, it could be vapours. Black smoke could mean heavy fuel consumption. White smoke, if not vapour, could mean oil entering the combustion chamber.

Take your car to a place where they can a run a scan on it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by eightsin(m): 7:01am On Apr 29, 2016
I'm reading comments. Hoping to to learn before buying my first car

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by PonmileJ: 7:05am On Apr 29, 2016
Lemme reframe your question, is it possible for human not to pass excrete?
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by kuntash: 7:14am On Apr 29, 2016
@ OP , your question seem not to fit the context of your summary of the issues with the car ......

If u can remember those days we had quality petrol refined , u seldom see black sooth at the tail pipe of the exhaust... but usually like white after a long journey or tan red ...this is an indication of an excellent combustion ...

However, this Toyota engines are quite durable and smoking is scarce unless a careless guy manages the car ...

There are fake engine oils too, I have had an ugly experience with Mobil Super some 11yrs ago ... I felt the engine was out , until I changed the oil completely to AP I think ...

Again , a weak engine with space in between the rings and engine block can release some amount of oil into the manifold ,that burns off as blue white smoke ...

Summarily for me ...

I would be MORE worried @ sight of blue-white smoke

Be worried @ continuous white smoke even after driving long ..

Be very concerned @ heavy sooth and black smoke

While I would smile seeing nothing even while I rev it , and seeing water dripping from the exhaust while steaming and clears off after driving thru 4-6 km ...
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by idyjoe2u(m): 7:16am On Apr 29, 2016
If you noticed the oil smoke immediately u change the oil to total squadz 5000, they are two things I will tell u, first if you drive the car for about 2 km then stop and check, if the smoke continues just in the same way then this mean you engine rings/slips is worn-out. Secondly you could be lucky if you check and its doesn't smoke again at that point of about 2 km journey, if its doesn't then its simply, get a good mechanic to drop down the top cylinder grind those valves and chance the valve oilseal and you will have your car back in perfect shape with a better performance. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by shamecurls(m): 7:23am On Apr 29, 2016
SuperSuave:

Wrong engine oil! Drain ASAP

Go for a 5W20 grade
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by huntax(m): 7:28am On Apr 29, 2016
What about blue smoke? My car emits blue smoke,especially when I have the Ac on.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Omotayor123(f): 7:40am On Apr 29, 2016
Is it Possible for a Man not to sweet at all
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by secnelly: 7:43am On Apr 29, 2016
Very Possible
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by OgaTheTop2: 7:43am On Apr 29, 2016
Me, I don't know much about car but Op check to make sure Kazeem didn't connect the cooling fans to start with engine start.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 / Common Spark Plug Conditions / 1.5L, 1.8L, 3.0L Engine? What Do They Mean In Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.