Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? (9891 Views)

Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates / Car Not Accelerating Fast / Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:48am On Apr 29, 2016
shamecurls:

Wrong engine oil! Drain ASAP

Go for a 5W20 grade

pouring 5w20 in a worn engine is a death sentence to the engine.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by banme1(m): 7:50am On Apr 29, 2016
Op its "air flow meter"

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

every car that burns some form of fuel (apart from the hydrogen vehicles) will leave behind some form of black smoke. Simple test, get a while socks, attach to your exhaust and rev a bit, after a while it will turn black. In your case it seems you had a car that was burning excessive fuel (black smoke) and. Now it has upgraded your problem to burning oil as well (blue/white smoke) there are better ways of troubleshooting problems using scanners and diagnostic equipment, instead of poking arround with everything and hoping one of the things poked solved the issue. Visit a mechanic with that has and can use diagnostic equipment, this should solve your problem.
Good morning bro,I used honda accord,hallal to be precise,yesterday I start the car in the morning,try to rev it,but the it was not smooth and while the sound was seizing,heavy smook was coming out but later it disappeared,sometime the car off while on motion,what surprised me is all the light on the dashboard is always on if the car go off on motion,what do I do cos I'm a novice,I wanted to buy a new car but my elder brother advice me to start with a used car.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by shamecurls(m): 8:14am On Apr 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

pouring 5w20 in a worn engine is a death sentence to the engine.

Correct

But how do we know the engine is worn?

It started smoking after an oil drain
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 29, 2016
SuperSuave:
Good morning everyone. Permit me to just go straight to the point.

My brother got a second hand Toyota corolla 2003 model in December and it was working perfectly, about 2weeks ago he changed the engine oil(Total quartz 5000) and we started to notice some smoke from the exhaust pipe(a neighbour said he noticed the smoke before then) he thought it was the engine oil that caused the smoke so he called the former owner who told him he uses Forte oil for the car then.

We called a mechanic in the neighborhood who checked it and said it's not the oil, they regulated a lot of things ranging from the "eflometer"(not sure of the correct spelling) to buying new plugs, washing the nozzles and all but the smoke didn't stop.

What I noticed is that after doing the above things the smoke changed from black to white which I think is normal because the car doesn't smoke now unless you raise it to 5+ on the gauge or whatever but my brother is still not satisfied.

My question is: is it possible for a car not to smoke at all even raising it to 5+ on the gauge abi wet in dem dey call am?

Air flow meter-

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by princefunmmy(m): 8:32am On Apr 29, 2016
Firstly, there is not way to get a complete combustion, smoke is as a result of incomplete combustion, for every combustion, there must be emission of smoke, except you burn at the absence of oxygen.
for automobiles, there are some filter that have been placed inside the exhaust manifold to react with the smoke so it won't be let out into the atmosphere.
when your car releases smoke, check For the exhaust manifold. If the smoke is excessive, then one or two of the following components of the combustion chamber is faulty... Inlet value (will allow either excess fuel, excess oxygen will cause knocking sounds), exhaust value(might cause pre-ignition), the piston (cause knocking sound and incomplete combustion), the oil ring, compression ring( both will allow the engine oil into the combustion chamber and engine oilis not volatile like pms that it can easily burn, when this rings are damaged, huge smoke will trail such automobile)
rest my case
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by Coolgent(m): 9:48am On Apr 29, 2016
SuperSuave:
white smoke...it clears later in the day after driving for an hour or so and returns in the morning again
Thats normal! Am telling u best on experience.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by HOLYMASK: 10:15am On Apr 29, 2016
B4 I answer u, I will like to know first wether he added the oil before starting the car or starting the car b4 adding the oil?
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by seyema(m): 10:55am On Apr 29, 2016
OgaTheTop2:
Me, I don't know much about car but Op check to make sure Kazeem didn't connect the cooling fans to start with engine start.
My dad is ignorant of that thing..... He just believe the fan must roll as the engine start
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by cccxxiii: 11:12am On Apr 29, 2016
Incomplete Combustion in an engine gives Carbon monoxide (CO) which is the black smoke.
Complete combustion on the other hand gives Carbon dioxide and water/water vapour.

Like someone mentioned earlier, you should check your engine. Not only the engine, there are other factors. Do well to check this site I found online for some factors that may caused this http://autoadvantagesales.com/my-engine-is-blowing-smoke-what-does-it-mean/
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by blissblazeblog: 12:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys, you just can't afford to miss joining the latest WhatsApp group in town were we have fun, make new friends, share stuffs with one another. To join us simply contact the admin on WhatsApp = +2349051144825 #See ya #Am Out

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by jmann2(m): 1:37pm On Apr 29, 2016
The catalytic inverter or commonly called catalyst converts the Co2 and carbon monoxide into a harmless gas which is white in colour.
That's why good and healthy cars with their catalyst still working give off white gas.

Yes it is possible for a car to give off white smoke
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? by jmann2(m): 1:40pm On Apr 29, 2016
Check the airflow and the catalyst

(1) (2) (Reply)

Common Spark Plug Conditions / 1.5L, 1.8L, 3.0L Engine? What Do They Mean In Cars? / Speed Limiting Device Vendors Can Create 2m Jobs — Vendors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.