Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Where Is Garden Of Eden? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Is Garden Of Eden? (3225 Views)

On What Part Of The Earth Is "Garden Of Eden" ? / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / The True Sin In The Garden Of Eden: Eve Slept With Satan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Garden Of Eden? by annyplenty(m): 10:13am On Jul 31, 2009
Where on earth, I mean which city or geographical location in this present day world is the GARDEN OF EDEN where ADAM and EVE were banished?
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by sarmy(m): 8:25am On Aug 01, 2009
Garden of Eden is a place in between physical and Spiritual realm, you can not find the place here on earth.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by kshow1(m): 8:34am On Aug 01, 2009
sarmy:

Garden of Eden is a place in between physical and Spiritual realm, you can not find the place here on earth.

I dont take this, the location should be known.
pls my fellow NLders assist.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by sarmy(m): 8:47am On Aug 01, 2009
Location unknown, there is more to that story than we probably know.

Garden of Eden can not be interpreted as a physical location alone, there is more to it, if not then eating of fruit, serpent talking etc will be real
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by timmy7(m): 11:13am On Aug 01, 2009
Saudi arabia, kaaba to be precise smiley grin
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 01, 2009
The garden of eden was in mesopotamia which is located in mordern day Iraq. The evidence is in the bible were the garden is said to be located were four rivers meet. The place this four rivers meet as been identified to be in mesopotamia although one of them is extinct.

Genesis 2:10-14:

10And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.

11The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;

12And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.

13And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.

14And the name of the third river is Hiddekel: that is it which goeth toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by banom(m): 11:50am On Aug 01, 2009
I dont know of the biblical garden of eden, what i know is that once you make your money, you can easily construct your own garden of eden and have angels visiting you every time.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 01, 2009
banom:

I dont know of the biblical garden of eden, what i know is that once you make your money, you can easily construct your own garden of eden and have angels visiting you every time.

Are you a pentecostal prosperity preaching pastor This is the kind of thing Oyhakilome would say.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by MrCrackles(m): 11:55am On Aug 01, 2009
In my backyard!
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by banom(m): 1:06pm On Aug 01, 2009
Jagoon:

Are you a pentecostal prosperity preaching pastor This is the kind of thing Oyhakilome would say.

No, i am prosperous atteist.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 01, 2009
banom:

No, i am prosperous atteist.

Well then you are in the same category as a pentecostal preacher, you are both deceiving your selves and others.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by banom(m): 1:47pm On Aug 01, 2009
Jagoon:

Well then you are in the same category as a pentecostal preacher, you are both deceiving your selves and others.

How, did i collect offering or tithe from you ?
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 02, 2009
I don't know! But i know.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Krayola2(m): 8:41am On Aug 02, 2009
@topic. Vida Guerra. . .her thighs. . .somewhere in between.  smiley The forbidden fruit.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:37pm On Aug 02, 2009
Krayola2:

@topic. Vida Guerra. . .her thighs. . .somewhere in between.  smiley The forbidden fruit.
Na so you like this vida guerra oh!!
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Krayola2(m): 8:08pm On Aug 02, 2009
haha. omo. . .If u wan see irrefutable evidence that God exists, go look dat girl yansh. U will believe!!
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:17pm On Aug 02, 2009
LOL the girl no dey shit, na so so shit and water full the nyash oh!
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Krayola2(m): 8:33pm On Aug 02, 2009
haha. me I no mind o. i 'll take it like that grin
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 02, 2009
have you looked in your backyard? It might be there.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by seyenko(m): 1:47pm On Aug 04, 2009
The Garden of Eden existed in the current day Iraq - what was known in time history as Mesopotamia, going by the account of river Tigris and Euphrates.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by FMK(m): 5:01pm On Aug 04, 2009
and where the paradise and the heaven are ? grin also the Hell grin
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by mamag3: 5:42pm On Aug 04, 2009
It's very close to the mesopotomian region.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by PastorAIO: 10:59am On Aug 06, 2009
Tigris and Euphrates are in mesopotamia.  The other 2 rivers don't exist any more but one was side to encircle Ethiopia which is in Africa.

If you take it to be literarily geographical then there are a lot of problems.  Where is the source of the Tigris and the Euphrates.  Do they share the same source.  Wherever the source is is where the Garden of Eden is? 

However if the entire Garden of Eden story is figurative then a whole new world of meaning opens up to us.  In fact the world of meaning actually encompasses the whole world and we find that the imagery already exists the world over and not just in the bible.  However in other cultures it is interpreted differently.  What is common is the iconography.  ie the image of a Goddess (usually in trinity form- ie triple goddess) accompanied by a Snake standing next to a tree and handing fruit from the tree to an approaching man. 

I'll repeat:  The image of a Woman/Goddess in single or triple form standing next to a tree and handing fruit from the tree to the outstretched hand of an approaching man in the presence of a Serpent is an image that has cropped up in man's artistic and mythological imagination from time immemorial. 

It seems that Man's fantasies and visual imagination has limits within which it operates and the same images keep cropping up which finds it's way into folklore, Art and religion.  However the manner in which these images are interpreted are vary from culture to culture. 

In most cultures the fruit of the tree is sought after and considered a boon.  The man is an initiate seeking eternal life from the tree.  In the Bible there are actually 2 trees rather than one whereas in most other cultures there is only one tree. 

In many other cultures the Woman handing him the fruit is not his wife but rather a Goddess who is initiating him into the mysteries of Eternal life.  She is herself the mother of all living.  The Snake is often the Goddesses consort.  Sometimes there are 2 snakes intertwined.   

The four rivers are actually the 4 elements or humours that rise from the center (quintessence) and go out into the world. 

1) the sumerian myth of Ningizzida, the Lord of the tree of Truth, consort to the goddess. He is often portrayed with a pair of serpents entwined around each other like the caduceus. and a doorway protected by cherubim (winged lions).
http://images.google.com/images?svnu,f&q=Ningizzida
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Ningizzida.jpg
http://static.newworldencyclopedia.org/thumb/0/06/Ninhursag1.jpg/250px-Ninhursag1.jpg
Oh yeah, there is also the aspect that has the tree protected by Winged Lions called Cherubim. 

2) In the story of Hercules and the Hesperides the iconography is interpreted totally differently.  The Goddess is the 3 sisters the Hesperides who are willing for Hercules to get the fruit of the tree.  However, far from encouraging hercules to take the fruit of the tree this time the serpent called Ladon is protecting the tree and is trying to stop Hercules from getting the fruit. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mosaico_Trabajos_Hércules_(M.A.N._Madrid)_11.jpg
The Garden of the Hesperides

The Garden of the Hesperides is Hera's orchard in the west, where either a single tree or a grove of immortality-giving golden apples grew. The apples were planted from the fruited branches that Gaia gave to her as a wedding gift when Hera accepted Zeus. The Hesperides were given the task of tending to the grove, but occasionally plucked from it themselves. Not trusting them, Hera also placed in the garden a never-sleeping, hundred-headed dragon named Ladon as an additional safeguard.
[edit]The Eleventh Labour of Heracles: παρ᾿ Ἑσπερίδων χρύσεα μῆλα

After Heracles completed his first ten Labours, Eurystheus gave him two more claiming that neither the Hydra counted (because Iolaus helped Heracles) nor the Augean stables (either because he received payment for the job or because the rivers did the work). The first of these two additional Labours was to steal the apples from the garden of the Hesperides. Heracles first caught Nereus, the shape-shifting sea god, to learn where the Garden of the Hesperides was located.[4]
In some variations, Heracles, either at the start or at the end of his task, meets Antaeus, who was invincible as long as he touched his mother, Gaia, the earth. Heracles killed Antaeus by holding him aloft and crushing him in a bearhug.[5]
Herodotus claims that Heracles stopped in Egypt, where King Busiris decided to make him the yearly sacrifice, but Hercules burst out of his chains.

Hercules stealing the golden apples from the Garden of the Hesperides. Detail of a Twelve Labours Roman mosaic from Llíria, Spain (3rd cent. AD).
Finally making his way to the Garden of the Hesperides, Heracles tricked Atlas into retrieving some of the golden apples for him, by offering to hold up the heavens for a little while (Atlas was able to take them as, in this version, he was the father or otherwise related to the Hesperides). Upon his return, Atlas decided that he did not want to take the heavens back, and instead offered to deliver the apples himself, but Heracles tricked him again by agreeing to take his place on condition that Atlas relieve him temporarily so that Heracles could make his cloak more comfortable. Atlas agreed, but Heracles reneged and walked away, carrying the apples. According to an alternative version, Heracles slew Ladon instead.
from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperides

3)The akkadians also had a SErpent lord that bestowed the boon of immortality to initiates.
http://images.google.com/images?svnu,n+&btnG=Search
http://wings.buffalo.edu/english/faculty/christian/syllabi/375/hhjw1/127023.jpg

4)6) Demeter, the greek goddess of the eleusinain mysteries and her divine son Ploutos.
http://images.google.com/images?svnu, er+and+Ploutos
Check especially the third image where she is handing out the boon to ploutos and behind her is the Serpent.

http://mythologica.fr/grec/pic/ceres-ploutos.gif

5) The Buddha went seeking enlightenment at the foot of the Bodhi Tree. When the forces of desire tried to distract him, A serpent called Muchalinda rose and protected him with it's hood. Here again the serpents role is protective rather than guarding against the eating of the fruit.

6)
A very interesting twist of the interpretation of the image in the story of how the Trojan war was started.  It was said to have been caused when Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between 3 goddess.  I think it was Hera, Aphrodite and Athena.  In this story we still have 3 goddesses standing next to Hermes who is represented by his caduceus of intertwined serpents.  We have the outstretched hand of Paris with an apple in it but it is interpreted in the opposite manner.  Rather than Paris receiving the apple from the trinity of Goddess he is actually handing it over to the winner of the beauty contest (Aphrodite) thus setting up the chain of events that leads to the Trojan war.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by FMK(m): 11:12am On Aug 06, 2009
all of that i am ready up are suggestion no one knows where this was because since Adam and Eve have been dumped away from the Garden, God put Guardian (Angel) to guard the garden so that no one could eat the tree of life and got everlasting life
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by ramonacee(f): 11:49am On Aug 19, 2009
IN YOUR IMAGINATION! grin grin grin grin
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by macIB(m): 6:17pm On Aug 19, 2009
IT DOES NOT EXIST, JUST ONE OF THOSE STORIES OF CREATIONISM BY RELIGION,

1 Like

Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by CowMeat: 11:39pm On Aug 19, 2009
somewhere in the middle east! Atheists, Garden of Eden existed.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by macIB(m): 11:45pm On Aug 19, 2009
@cowmeat

somewhere in the middle east! Atheists, Garden of Eden existed.

be very specific "somewhere in the middle east!" means nothing and says nothing.

for your information I am not an atheist and I do not believe in any creationism stories,

they are all fables and folktales

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by CowMeat: 11:47pm On Aug 19, 2009
@macIB
very close to euphrates river in the middle east.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by PastorAIO: 12:21am On Aug 20, 2009
IF the river euphrates and Tigris came out of the Garden of eden then all we have to do is look for the source of these rivers.

They have their source in Turkey, so therefore the Garden of Eden is in Turkey.

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701512367/euphrates.html
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by macIB(m): 12:58am On Aug 20, 2009
thank you pastor A I O , but i want cowmeat to tell us where exactly it is. I really wish to go there and see it myself, and am not joking kiss.
Re: Where Is Garden Of Eden? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:17am On Aug 20, 2009
annyplenty:

Where on earth, I mean which city or geographical location in this present day world is the GARDEN OF EDEN where ADAM and EVE were banished?

Well, the answer to the question is that the Garden of Eden ceased to exist after the cataclysmic flood and is no where to be found, it perished. (See 2 Peter.3:6,1-5).

For further details check out this weblink:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2003/1021eden.asp

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Does An Atheist Repent? / Religious Leaders And Their Followers Take A Walk To Hell (picture) / Is It A Sin For A Man To Have Sex With A Lady After Paying Only Her Bride Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.