Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,638 members, 7,827,358 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Why is WhatsApp adding Encryption and what does it mean for your messages? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why is WhatsApp adding Encryption and what does it mean for your messages? (736 Views)

Whatsapp Implements ‘end-to-end Encryption’ To Protect Users / Forget Apple Vs The Fbi: Whatsapp Just Switched On Encryption For A Billion Pple / Whatsapp End To End Encryption: most secured messaging app. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why is WhatsApp adding Encryption and what does it mean for your messages? by Akinonnairaland(m): 12:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
You might not notice, but something changed in WhatsApp yesterday 6/4/2016. WhatsApp service completed a move to fully encrypt all the content within its app in a bid to make users' online lives more private.

You know how everyone has been complaining or should i say getting worried about how secure WhatsApp is? this move aim at eradicating that, leaving you with a secure App to chat with.

WhatsApp announced "Messages you send to this chat and calls are now secured with end-to-end encryption".

Let me quickly explain what this means, it means all content within WhatsApp, including voice calls, videos and group conversations across both iOS and Android are now covered by what is known as "end-to-end encryption".

What is Encryption

Encryption involves scrambling data so it is unreadable unless a secret key or password is entered like the way you use to lock your phone with a password to avoid strangers invading your privacy.

Who can see My Messages Now?

Nobody! Except you and the person you are chatting with, WhatsApp has claimed. They wrote "The idea is simple: when you send a message, the only person who can read it is the person or group chat that you send that message to." they also claimed that "No one can see inside that message. Not cybercriminals, not hackers, not oppressive regimes, not even us (WhatsApp)".

What Difference will WhatsApp Encryption make to my Life?

Well, i can say with this new feature, your messages will be a bit more secure, but you probably won't notice the difference.

Hope you understand what the new feature do to your WhatsApp now. Peace

1 Like

Re: Why is WhatsApp adding Encryption and what does it mean for your messages? by UuzbaGuuzba: 4:19pm On May 14, 2016
Re: Why is WhatsApp adding Encryption and what does it mean for your messages? by UuzbaGuuzba: 4:20pm On May 14, 2016
OP who was reading my messages before?

(1) (Reply)

What If Aliens Knew We (humans) Exist / See How Glo Makes Up For Their Poor Data Network / Is 3 A Magic Number... Check Out This 3 Headed Cobra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.