Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO (35105 Views)

My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! / Reasons Why Your Car Consume Much Fuel / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by cardoctor(m): 10:13am On Apr 11, 2016
Simple answer is NOT REALLY. As long as your AC is on and the compressor clutch is engaged, the car engine is working on more load which equates to more fuel requirements by the engine to keep the power balanced. Fan speed on high or low doesn't really bear much significance to fuel consumption.

Too many off the rail contributions here. I'm out.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Osyxcel(m): 10:37am On Apr 11, 2016
MyX1:

How factual is this Info?

You can confirm yourself.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by suco01(m): 11:02am On Apr 11, 2016
Frm a car AC technician dat i asked, he told me d more u change d car AC frm low to medium to high and d engine change sounds, it consume more fuels dats y u see pple mostly stay on low to maintain a cool environment in d car to avoid more fuel consumption...

1 Like

Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Lagusta(m): 11:07am On Apr 11, 2016
NigerianScholar:

Dont mind some people. Putting your ac on ' HI' just consumes battery. Because d fan wuld b rolling faster. Just like putting on d car when when the engine is not running. You are only stressing d battery.

Which village did you come from

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by 1886martino(m): 11:31am On Apr 11, 2016
suco01:
Frm a car AC technician dat i asked, he told me d more u change d car AC frm low to medium to high and d engine change sounds, it consume more fuels dats y u see pple mostly stay on low to maintain a cool environment in d car to avoid more fuel consumption... To confirm hw true is dis, i disconnect my Uncle Hyundai H1 fuel hose frm tank into a 1litre fuel jerican and i put d mini bus ignition on and put d AC on low and i time it, i repeated d same 1litre fuel for medium and Hi. I dicovered the fuel consumed while d AC is on Hi vanish very fast than when in Low. Bt i dont knw 4 other cars oo. I rest ma case
Engr how is it possible? Fuel hose inside... blah blah
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by 1886martino(m): 11:35am On Apr 11, 2016
I read some comments and laugh. Some people should go and learn how car engine works before talking about A/C system.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Oshotse21(m): 11:36am On Apr 11, 2016
Engine boys wan blow my head o...lay man explanation pls
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 11, 2016
Sunymoore:

Bro, Fan at high speed consumes fuel, but the amount of fuel consumed is so small that it can be negligible...
My car only have a single fan, and that fan Cools the radiator and compress the AC. It might interest you that, even if I didn't engage the AC, sometimes the fan comes at full, and no fuel drain is observed, and if the AC Is engaged, the fan stays at full all the time...

If you mean to ask if higher fan speed
with the AC will reduce your MPG, it
certainly will! The AC in your car (aside
from electric AC systems found in
hybrid and electric cars) works
differently from the electric systems in
buildings and houses. Automotive AC
systems use a compressor driven by
the engine through an electromagnetic
clutch. This allows the compressor to
be disengaged when not in use. When
you use the AC, the air is cooled by
passing over the evaporator which is
cooled by the work done by the
compressor. The evaporator gets
cooled to about 34°F but not much
lower to prevent ice accumulating.
When the evaporator reaches that
temperature, the compressor is
disconnected by the clutch. As air
continues to flow over the evaporator,
the evaporator takes the heat from the
air and its temperature increases.
When the evaporator reaches about
42°, the compressor clutch is engaged
and the evaporator is cooled back to
34°.
Increasing the airflow over the
evaporator causes it cool down more
slowly with the compressor engaged
and heat up more quickly with the
compressor disengaged. This results in
the compressor running for more time,
which takes more power from the
engine and results in fewer MPG than
when the airflow over the evaporator
is lower.
It takes work to cool air. The work is
ultimately done by the engine. More
work is required to cool more air.
Electric AC systems are governed by
the same rules.

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-increase-in-fan-speed-of-a-cars-AC-decrease-its-fuel-efficiency-Why-or-why-not

This means more fuel is used, not because the fan is using engine power to turn faster, but because the compressor ends up being engaged for longer and disengaged for far shorter periods during the use of the AC at higher fan speeds.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by seaga: 11:46am On Apr 11, 2016
FTBoi:
but it's only when the compressor is on you feel the sudden jerk of power drain in the engine. but with just the blower on, you wouldn't notice anything. i've experienced that many times......it's funny how people come here to tell otherwise..

Check owners manufacturers manual, for more details.The funny thing people who has never used or driven a large number of cars would argue with someone that rebuild and reconstruct cars.
Note blower has no connection whatsoever with the engine it's only fuse box and the compressor hoist that's connected. The jerk is either your compressor is having problems with the control switch or your minds playing tricks on you
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by ogbiwa: 12:01pm On Apr 11, 2016
achu442:
I no like too much argument.
Put 20 litres of fuel,Drive from Lagos to Ore with your AC on High

THEN

Do the same while coming back with your AC on low and check the amount of fuel consumed.

Practical answers.

what if cold begin catch me for road when the A/C dey for HI. Make I freeze for steering because of your experiment?

na joke o

1 Like

Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Bollinger(m): 12:49pm On Apr 11, 2016
honmusa:

You already know the answer that increasing your AC level is like putting more load on your engine which is equivalent to more fuel consumption .

That is wrong. Your use of AC does not impact the gas consumption especially when you are on a highway. Not using your AC will consume more gas than when you do. Opening your windows transforms your car into a parachute, which means the vehicle is dragging air. What impacts your fuel consumption is the size of your engine and not inflating your tires to the manufacturers recommended levels.

1 Like

Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by gabicon: 12:52pm On Apr 11, 2016
ogbiwa:
Pls I've been asking this question for sometime now. Does fuel consumption on AC vary with the various LO, MID HI AC levels or it consumes same amount once the AC is switched on regardless of the level. However i think my engine power changes as I either increase or reduce my AC. Auto gurus abeg food don done.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/hybrid-technology/driving-with-windows-down1.htm
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by whoawa(m): 1:37pm On Apr 11, 2016
The higher the increment on the speed, the more energy (fuel) required. When ever u increase the speed of any rotor, the FREQUENCY will automatically increase. And frequency in engineering is define as number of revolution or cycles per second.
In a summary the work done to revolve the rotor in a higher frequency will result in more fuel consumption
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Shikena(m): 2:34pm On Apr 11, 2016
suco01:
Frm a car AC technician dat i asked, he told me d more u change d car AC frm low to medium to high and d engine change sounds, it consume more fuels dats y u see pple mostly stay on low to maintain a cool environment in d car to avoid more fuel consumption... To confirm hw true is dis, i disconnect my Uncle Hyundai H1 fuel hose frm tank into a 1litre fuel jerican and i put d mini bus ignition on and put d AC on low and i time it, i repeated d same 1litre fuel for medium and Hi. I dicovered the fuel consumed while d AC is on Hi vanish very fast than when in Low. Bt i dont knw 4 other cars oo. I rest ma case
Don't know how you did the hose to jerry can thing but please don't ever try that again jeez!
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by philosopy: 3:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
"On high" mean the compressor now runs for longer time, meaning a slight increase in the car rev to keep up with the sudden drag or load caused by the running compressor.

Over a period of time, yes, it consumes more fuel.

but it might be insinificant over a short period.

The perfect scenario is to watch ur deep freezer run and stop.

Notice how the power flunctuates as it picks up

. For a car, it draws power from the engine, remember the second law of thermodynamics,

work is done on the system and for a prolonged period of time, it becomes tangible work which consumes an aggregate amount of fuel.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by suco01(m): 3:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
Shikena:

Don't know how you did the hose to jerry can thing but please don't ever try that again jeez!

Wetin b d big deal since weyb say na d technician do am. He comot d hose wey carry fuel enta caprator, den use anoda hose frm d can to connect to d caprator. Abi na magis to u?.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by suco01(m): 3:44pm On Apr 11, 2016
1886martino:

Engr how is it possible? Fuel hose inside... blah blah

Ogbeni i am nt the technician, d technician did it and i witnessed it, even b4 dis thread comes to nairaland dat it has been practicalised and av seen it..
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Emeka71(m): 5:14pm On Apr 11, 2016
martineverest:
Almost negligible.

The r.p.m removed from engine to power the compressor is almost negligible compared to that channeled to the Tyres.

The most important thing is: Use air con when driving at high speed and switch off the AC at lower speed
This period of fuel crisis is not the time to be using air -condition in cars.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by kuntash: 6:08am On Apr 12, 2016
martineverest:
" evaporator Condenses": Never heard of that before

When there is a +ve change in temperature @ the evaporator ... it CONDENSES ..... that's the cause of water that drips below your car !

Examples of condense in a sentence in this regard.

The cooler temperatures cause the gas to condense into a liquid.

Moisture in the air condenses to form tiny drops of water.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by Mboeky: 6:33am On Apr 12, 2016
No, it's the same principle as if you use a shower that is slightly hot or very hot, the energy consumption and charges would be the same.
Re: Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO by bigwizzy001(m): 2:02am On Jun 12, 2018
[color=#770077][/color]
I must confess this is quite insightful. May God bless you beyond explanation.

If you mean to ask if higher fan speed
with the AC will reduce your MPG, it
certainly will! The AC in your car (aside
from electric AC systems found in
hybrid and electric cars) works
differently from the electric systems in
buildings and houses. Automotive AC
systems use a compressor driven by
the engine through an electromagnetic
clutch. This allows the compressor to
be disengaged when not in use. When
you use the AC, the air is cooled by
passing over the evaporator which is
cooled by the work done by the
compressor. The evaporator gets
cooled to about 34°F but not much
lower to prevent ice accumulating.
When the evaporator reaches that
temperature, the compressor is
disconnected by the clutch. As air
continues to flow over the evaporator,
the evaporator takes the heat from the
air and its temperature increases.
When the evaporator reaches about
42°, the compressor clutch is engaged
and the evaporator is cooled back to
34°.
Increasing the airflow over the
evaporator causes it cool down more
slowly with the compressor engaged
and heat up more quickly with the
compressor disengaged. This results in
the compressor running for more time,
which takes more power from the
engine and results in fewer MPG than
when the airflow over the evaporator
is lower.
It takes work to cool air. The work is
ultimately done by the engine. More
work is required to cool more air.
Electric AC systems are governed by
the same rules.

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-increase-in-fan-speed-of-a-cars-AC-decrease-its-fuel-efficiency-Why-or-why-not

This means more fuel is used, not because the fan is using engine power to turn faster, but because the compressor ends up being engaged for longer and disengaged for far shorter periods during the use of the AC at higher fan speeds.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The Number Of Vehicles On Nigerian Roads / General Motors Will No Longer Produce These 6 Cars / Saudi Style, Photos Shows Arab Men Driving Their Suvs On Just Two Wheels.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.