Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal (28887 Views)

Will 2.0, V4 Use More Fuel Than 1.8 Or 1.6 Vehicles? / Which Car Consumes More Fuel Between Kia Rio And Toyota Corolla / Why Does My Honda Accord Consume More Fuel Than It's Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by autojosh: 7:02pm On Apr 07, 2017
Fuel consumption of a vehicle is of much concern to majority of the people that drive internal combustion engine vehicles. It is even more disturbing when you realize that your car is thirstier and is consuming more than it’s supposed to.

In case you have noticed that your car consumes more than normal, here are some reasons why it is so.

1. Bad Engine Oil
This shouldn’t sound strange to you. Engine oil has much role to play when it comes to the performance of your car engine.

When you use the recommended grade of engine oil, the engine runs well with less strain and hence will avoid your engine from working hard – low mileage is the price it pays.

It is therefore wise to use the recommended OEM engine oil.

2. Driving style
Aggressive drivers are bound to have poor fuel mileage. The way you drive your car has a lot of role to play when it comes to improved mileage. The way you accelerate, the way you apply the brake, the way you change your gear (for manual transmission) etc.

Unnecessary revving makes your car consume more fuel.

Using the cruise control can go a long way in curbing this especially during interstate travel.

3. Under or over inflated tyres
Driving your car on tyres that are not properly inflated consumes fuel. When the tyres are under-inflated, the surface area of the tyre in contact with the road increases. This will in turn cause rolling resistance to increase; more fuel will burn. On the other hand, over-inflation causes loss of traction which makes your car do more work to stay on the road.

Research has shown that a decrease in tyre pressure by 10 psi can lead to 2.5% increase in fuel consumption.

You can read more on 5 Ways Your Car Tyres Will Help You Save Petrol

4. Misalignment in the chassis and suspension part
It is not only unsafe to drive your car when the suspension systems and the chassis are bad; it also affects your gas mileage.

Always inspect for misalignment. Broken springs, worn suspension, bent wheel and bent axle can cause the drivetrain drag to increase.

5. Bad air filter
If you always drive in dusty conditions, it is advisable to change the air filter at least the number of times specified by the car manufacturer.

6. Bad spark plugs
Bad spark plugs cause your car to under-perform, consume more fuel, and sometimes cause engine vibration.

For example, in an inline-4 cylinder car that uses 4 spark plugs. If you have a bad plug, one cylinder will be affected and this will cause the engine system to be insufficient of one cylinder.

This will make the remaining 3 cylinders to work harder than normal. This burns more fuel and causes more strain on the engine.

If you notice your vehicle is consuming more fuel than usual, have your plug checked.

In a nutshell, always maintain a good maintenance habit when it comes to your car.

Let’s hear more reasons from you in the comment section..

https://autojosh.com/fuel-consumption/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by obafemee80(m): 7:03pm On Apr 07, 2017
Nice Tips bro...
Poor quality fuels can also contribute.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by dietsono(m): 7:07pm On Apr 07, 2017
Ok
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Harwoyeez(m): 7:09pm On Apr 07, 2017
Informative
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Houseofglam7(f): 7:10pm On Apr 07, 2017
Finally, a front page worthy topic.....
No BBN bullshiiiit

10 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by uviesa(m): 7:10pm On Apr 07, 2017
Pls is the CBN doctor in charge of injection finnaly grin grin tired if injecting dollar into d Economy

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by SmartMugu: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Lilaex: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
ftc nearly dose not cut it. BTW I no get car.
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
Because my car has six cylinders engine. cool
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by urvillagepeoplee(m): 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
ok
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by wristbangle: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
So switching on AC while vehicle is on motion doesn't make the engine consume more fuel?

7 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by estineola: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
nice stuff
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by maxiuc(m): 7:13pm On Apr 07, 2017
when u gat the money you dont care how many liters ur car consumes
just like peeps that says Ac consumes more fuel hmmm better heat never do them

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Tazdroid(m): 7:14pm On Apr 07, 2017
Does endless use of air-conditioning contribute?
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Tazdroid(m): 7:15pm On Apr 07, 2017
uviesa:
Pls is the CBN doctor in charge of injection finnaly grin grin tired if injecting dollar into d Economy

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by smartty68(m): 7:15pm On Apr 07, 2017
Driving behind big trucks also saves fuel grin

9 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by eluquenson(m): 7:18pm On Apr 07, 2017
Absolutely right and in addition, the way you accelerate after applying brake

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Exponental(m): 7:21pm On Apr 07, 2017
Buying fuel from filling stations with adulterated meters.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by salbis(m): 7:23pm On Apr 07, 2017
Tyre pressure gauge! I'm guilty of that.
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Shaballantin(m): 7:24pm On Apr 07, 2017
Good stuff*
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by point5: 7:24pm On Apr 07, 2017
Lalasticlala first in history u make brain without snake talk...

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by honmusa(m): 7:24pm On Apr 07, 2017
I hate copy and paste write-up ,I wonder why average Nigeria are too lazy to engage in due diligence before pushing out there thought pattern to the public domain .
I am sure the op has not even taken it upon himself to resolve any existing issue resulting to bad fuel mileage
but instead will rely on what he sees on Google.
All the reason mentioned here are not too congent enough to even notice a significant drop in fuel mileage.
The basic reason reason you will notice a significant drop in fuel mileage.
1.Faulty O2 sensor :This is the most important fuel management device that control your fuel mileage.
2.Significantly drop in temperature of cooling system.
3.Intake leak or exhaust leak
these 3 reason alone will make your car to be drinking fuel like fish .
In case you need a professional diagnosis,consultancy and permanent resolution to your car fuel consumption issue .call autologic @ 08061166316.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by 2shur: 7:24pm On Apr 07, 2017
A/c dey chop fuel
Whether japan or german.
Doing 120 on a freeway also deychop fuel.
Me dey buy fuel of 3k every 4days.
I don tire.
Na to vex buy scooter remain

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by bkool7(m): 7:26pm On Apr 07, 2017
use extreme fuel treatment (xft) from syntek .
it works like magic , but its simple science

1) Increase life of engine
2) Increases fuel economy
3) Increase horsepower and performance
4) Reduces harmful emissions
5) Keeps your engine clean & removes
harmful carbon deposits
6) Lubricates pistons, pumps, and
injectors
7) Prevents and reverses sludge build-up
cool Prevents rust and corrosion in the fuel
system
9) Helps keep water out of your fuel
10) Stabilizes stored fuel (for years)

I've been using it on my generator and car for over a year now. it saves at least 25% fuel .

1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Azeeztaophic(m): 7:28pm On Apr 07, 2017
Noted, thanks for the info.
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 07, 2017
I concur, nice one
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by jonnytad(m): 7:32pm On Apr 07, 2017
If you post any BBN stuff here ...... I'll invoke thunder on you.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by rxgodwin(m): 7:36pm On Apr 07, 2017
Wow... Nice write up bro.
Driving style?? Guilty as charged. Since I came into town, my bros car has been gulping fuel.
Now he is even contemplating changing the engine.
Hmmm. Blaze's handwork. grin
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by tygar(m): 7:52pm On Apr 07, 2017
honmusa:
I hate copy and paste write-up ,I wonder why average Nigeria are too lazy to engage in due diligence before pushing out there thought pattern to the public domain .
I am sure the op has not even taken it upon himself to resolve any existing issue resulting to bad fuel mileage
but instead will rely on what he sees on Google.
All the reason mentioned here are not too congent enough to even notice a significant drop in fuel mileage.
The basic reason reason you will notice a significant drop in fuel mileage.
1.Faulty O2 sensor :This is the most important fuel management device that control your fuel mileage.
2.Significantly drop in temperature of cooling system.
3.Intake leak or exhaust leak
these 3 reason alone will make your car to be drinking fuel like fish .
true talk bro
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by kolafolabi(m): 7:52pm On Apr 07, 2017
Don't know why people complain about Camry pencil that it consumes more fuel but my people, that's what I use. I can use 10 ltrs for one week and that's simply because I drive with no aggression and that's my key to manage my fuel. If dem like, make them overtake me for road, I no care. Gbam!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by tomdon(m): 7:58pm On Apr 07, 2017
Good one
Re: 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal by pragmatistm(m): 8:10pm On Apr 07, 2017
bkool7:
use extreme fuel treatment (xft) from syntek .
it works like magic , but its simple science

1) Increase life of engine
2) Increases fuel economy
3) Increase horsepower and performance
4) Reduces harmful emissions
5) Keeps your engine clean & removes
harmful carbon deposits
6) Lubricates pistons, pumps, and
injectors
7) Prevents and reverses sludge build-up
cool Prevents rust and corrosion in the fuel
system
9) Helps keep water out of your fuel
10) Stabilizes stored fuel (for years)

I've been using it on my generator and car for over a year now. it saves at least 25% fuel .
Absolutely correct. I used it and I can confirm all the above are 100℅ sure. But my supply has been exhausted and I need to get more for my car. Anyone here havea suggestion how to get it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

As A Driver, What Would You Do In This Situation? / What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? / Is Driving A Power Bike Really A Suicide Mission.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.