Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,012 members, 7,838,536 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria (17423 Views)

“Don’t Come With Charms”, Oil Company Says In Job Test Invite. / Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / Lekki TV Company Asks For Light-skinned Girls In Job Ad, Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by GambaOsaka: 9:40am On Apr 12, 2016
Dear Op,
Take heart, keep trying and trust God.

I once worked for a multinational pharmaceutical company in Ikeja.

The recruitment stages included a Test, 3 stages interview and then medicals.

Close to 1000 people must have written the test from my observation. Then followed by 3 stages of rigorous interview. This was for a position for 5 people.

During the concluding stages ( medicals i think ) I realised that three (3) my fellow applicants were already guaranteed of a place: one babe from the MD, another babe from the HR manager, and then one guy from the GM. The fourth guy that got in was being upgraded from a casual staff.

So my brother look into God , prepare for the interview, try and make connections as possible and then hope for the best.
Cheer up mate. It is well.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by fexyrich(m): 10:18am On Apr 12, 2016
It appears that the op is a confirmed learner..some times I even wish my parents gave me all my university school fees in bulk to start the business am doing 2day..I would have been 10 times richer by now.University education in nigeria is somehow overhyped cos it doesn't guarantee anything at all..
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by nkemjacob2(m): 10:48am On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:

Thank you for your advice. Hope you are learning one?
am into graphics and photography
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by ulster: 10:52am On Apr 12, 2016
This is normal especially with the current financial situation in the Country. I have progressed in job interviews and have been invited to the last stage interviews with Shell and GE, only to be written that the recruitment has been placed on hold. Obviously, this is due to re-alignment of recruitment needs and financial implication for hiring a new hire, when they can internal resource for that position.

Where I work currently, a colleague resigned in their role, and the role was merged with another one and the person's job enlarged. What the organisation did was increased the chap's salary abit, this means the organisation will not incur cost of hire a new person which would include buying and maintaining a car, phone lines, internet, office space, healthcare, bonuses etc. Thats how it works.

Dont feel bad, please continue in your job hunt, or better still try out your hands as an entrepreneur.
rgds

1 Like

Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 11:16am On Apr 12, 2016
Cutehector:
Wasn't it decreed in the beginning that man must sweat with hard labor before he puts food on the table?

Nothing comes easily in life, as everything is just a phase. At that moment when you just have lost all hope in everything, that moment when you've realised you are at ur weakest, God will open his heavens and pour out his blessings on you. Jobs will come out like the Sands of the sea shore and u will be the one to pick..

Thank you so much bro. I am LIFTED!

Don't cry! Chukwu nonso!
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 11:25am On Apr 12, 2016
ogawisdom:

U never see anything, go n start snail farming white collar job is nt for u grin

Fool...tell us what you are doing at the moment?. Snail farming or horticulture i presume! For your information, i am a professional with years of experience and not just a fresh or an entry-level graduate who just left the four walls of the university. I am employed with a white collar job and don't need your stupid advice.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 11:39am On Apr 12, 2016
[quote author=GambaOsaka post=44629089]Dear Op,
Take heart, keep trying and trust God.

I once worked for a multinational pharmaceutical company in Ikeja.

The recruitment stages included a Test, 3 stages interview and then medicals.

Close to 1000 people must have written the test from my observation. Then followed by 3 stages of rigorous interview. This was for a position for 5 people.

During the concluding stages ( medicals i think ) I realised that three (3) my fellow applicants were already guaranteed of a place: one babe from the MD, another babe from the HR manager, and then one guy from the GM. The fourth guy that got in was being upgraded from a casual staff.

So my brother look into God , prepare for the interview, try and make connections as possible and then hope for the best.
Cheer up mate. It is well.

Thank you bro. The crux of the matter is that after successfully going through some stages of the recruitment processes i.e. application and assessments, i was scheduled for an oral interview with the company, only for interview to be postponed and subsequently put on hold indefinitely without any reason whatsoever. The company went further to wish me well in my job search. Now, the question is...How do you continue to prepare for an interview for a recruitment process that has been put on hold indefinitely?. Your thinking is as good as mine!
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by Adesolomon2014(m): 12:10pm On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:
Seriously, job hunting in Nigeria could be so tasking, disappointing and altogether frustrating. How can anyone explain to me a reason behind a circumstance where a prospective job seeker applied for a job, sent an invite for interview but was subsequently told that the recruitment into the position has been put on hold indefinitely. In addition, the company in question wished the applicant success in his job search and career.

This actually happened to me and I didn't find it funny at all. What could have been responsible for this?. The company involved here is a multinational company of good repute. Though they apologised for the inconveniences caused but I suspect something went wrong and I find it unconscionable to say the least.

Has this kind of scenario happened to anyone on this platform?. Please let me have your take on this. Thank you.
Am sure its OFID cus i was sent a msg similar to what you explained.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 12:13pm On Apr 12, 2016
nkemjacob2:
am into graphics and photography

Congratulations!..... I am a professional and employed.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 12:16pm On Apr 12, 2016
Adesolomon2014:

Am sure its OFID cus i was sent a msg similar to what you explained.

It is not OFID bro.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by springtech(m): 12:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
I feel you brother, however from experience I can tell you all hope is not lost yet. I work with a multinational - IOC. I guess I know what is happening at the moment.
Though you did not specify which industry it is but if my guess is right then you have no cause for alarm.
Let me explain what is happening from my point of view and using the oil industry.

The FG goes into JV - Joint Venture partnership with the IOCs through the NNPC where the NNPC has a 60% stake and the IOCs have a 40% state. Note that the 40% is not owned entirely by a particular IOC. For instance Total E&P Ltd is the Operator of OML 130 (AKPO FPSO) where NNPC has 60%, Total has about 20% (Here Total is the operator), in addition other oil companies too have their little % stakes.

Being a joint venture, all the partners are expected to contribute in order to make the exploration and production a reality. Most times, the responsibility falls on the operator - mostly a technical partner, who doles out the needed fund to meet up with day to day activities on the field. However consultation is made with all partners, evaluation done and once its approved to be a "GO" the operator goes ahead and spends the required fund hoping to be refunded by the joint partners, this is called CASH calls.

Once the field/site/platform produces a given amount of crude, agencies of the FG eg DPR, NNPC , customs etc take appropriate record and from the data obtained each partner gets his deserved allocation according to her % stake. For instance if in a week the platform produces 2 Million barrels of oil, NNPC which has 60% stake is allocated 60% of 2,0000,000 barrels of oil, Total which has 20% stake is also allocated 20% of 2,000,000 barrels of crude.

Note: Each joint venture partner is expected to have released her own part of the financial burden. This is the normal situation. Idea scenario.
However, it is not so in Nigeria at the moment. The FG does not remit her own part of the financial burden but they get their cut of the production. This has been on-going for years, even since the last administration. So the Oil majors are left to bear the burden, only for NNPC to only show up when its time for production sharing. Despite the FG's lack of commitment financially,the IOCs have been surviving as a result of the fact that the oil price was high ($100 - $110), but with the price presently at $39-$41/ barrel, it has been very difficult for the IOCs to survive. Remember they will pay their personnels overhead, pay oil servicing contractors e.g Schlumberger, Halliburton , Geo-services , Cameron, DBN , Hamilon , Alpha, MISwaco , Drilpet etc

As a result of the low income they get from their own allocation they find it difficult to meet up with necessary obligations, hence they devise steps to stay afloat / remain in business. Hence cost cutting measures like layoff / right sizing , reduction in staff salary , stoppage of several incentives / allowances which were hitherto being paid.

Even if it is not an oil industry, with the current economic harshness , monetary policies of the CBN , Foreign exchange shortage in circulation which of course affects manufacturing industries as they can no longer import as they would have loved to owing to the crash of naira to the dollar, unclear policy direction of the FG. Its absolutely not a time to smile for most companies.

With all these, you would agree with me that, no business man would want to employ personnels thus adding to his financial burden at this critical moment. Hence the decision of most IOCs / Multinationals to put recruitment on hold for now until their financial books / fortune gets better.

In conclusion, my dear brother, relax, pray , put your hope & trust in God, if that Job is yours, no man can take it from you.
Cheers.

#iamspringtech

1 Like

Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 12:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:

Fool...tell us what you are doing at the moment?. Snail farming or horticulture i presume! For your information, i am a professional with years of experience and not just a fresh or an entry-level graduate who just left the four walls of the university. I am employed with a white collar job and don't need your stupid advice.

Y u dey vex dey insult ur papa

Can't u farm, lazy man grin better take ur frustration on sth positive, frustrated man wink

U r nt better than graduates dt r into farming, d earlier d better for u
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 12, 2016
priscaoge:
Hmmmmm that's Nigeria for u my dear. @ Op don't give up, God will put a smile on Ur face soon.

On the hand, I keep hearing that so many graduates are not employable and I ask How? Why?.... Until I attended one interview sometime last month shocked shocked shocked See how our graduates were behaving like some mannerless secondary school students. I was like what if this is a Behavioral Interview? Another thing is how we package our CV! I well packaged CV can earn u d job even without much interview. May God help Nigerian youths oooo.

Congrats to me and all Batch A Corp members that will pass out on Thursday! May God favour us all
When you run ya mouth finish, I dey wait you for Aba. Better come find shop for Ariaria oo...

Congrats in advance. You shall be highly favoured kiss
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 1:18pm On Apr 12, 2016
springtech:
I feel you brother, however from experience I can tell you all hope is not lost yet. I work with a multinational - IOC. I guess I know what is happening at the moment.
Though you did not specify which industry it is but if my guess is right then you have no cause for alarm.
Let me explain what is happening from my point of view and using the oil industry.

The FG goes into JV - Joint Venture partnership with the IOCs through the NNPC where the NNPC has a 60% stake and the IOCs have a 40% state. Note that the 40% is not owned entirely by a particular IOC. For instance Total E&P Ltd is the Operator of OML 130 (AKPO FPSO) where NNPC has 60%, Total has about 20% (Here Total is the operator), in addition other oil companies too have their little % stakes.

Being a joint venture, all the partners are expected to contribute in order to make the exploration and production a reality. Most times, the responsibility falls on the operator - mostly a technical partner, who doles out the needed fund to meet up with day to day activities on the field. However consultation is made with all partners, evaluation done and once its approved to be a "GO" the operator goes ahead and spends the required fund hoping to be refunded by the joint partners, this is called CASH calls.

Once the field/site/platform produces a given amount of crude, agencies of the FG eg DPR, NNPC , customs etc take appropriate record and from the data obtained each partner gets his deserved allocation according to her % stake. For instance if in a week the platform produces 2 Million barrels of oil, NNPC which has 60% stake is allocated 60% of 2,0000,000 barrels of oil, Total which has 20% stake is also allocated 20% of 2,000,000 barrels of crude.

Note: Each joint venture partner is expected to have released her own part of the financial burden. This is the normal situation. Idea scenario.
However, it is not so in Nigeria at the moment. The FG does not remit her own part of the financial burden but they get their cut of the production. This has been on-going for years, even since the last administration. So the Oil majors are left to bear the burden, only for NNPC to only show up when its time for production sharing. Despite the FG's lack of commitment financially,the IOCs have been surviving as a result of the fact that the oil price was high ($100 - $110), but with the price presently at $39-$41/ barrel, it has been very difficult for the IOCs to survive. Remember they will pay their personnels overhead, pay oil servicing contractors e.g Schlumberger, Halliburton , Geo-services , Cameron, DBN , Hamilon , Alpha, MISwaco , Drilpet etc

As a result of the low income they get from their own allocation they find it difficult to meet up with necessary obligations, hence they devise steps to stay afloat / remain in business. Hence cost cutting measures like layoff / right sizing , reduction in staff salary , stoppage of several incentives / allowances which were hitherto being paid.

Even if it is not an oil industry, with the current economic harshness , monetary policies of the CBN , Foreign exchange shortage in circulation which of course affects manufacturing industries as they can no longer import as they would have loved to owing to the crash of naira to the dollar, unclear policy direction of the FG. Its absolutely not a time to smile for most companies.

With all these, you would agree with me that, no business man would want to employ personnels thus adding to his financial burden at this critical moment. Hence the decision of most IOCs / Multinationals to put recruitment on hold for now until their financial books / fortune gets better.

In conclusion, my dear brother, relax, pray , put your hope & trust in God, if that Job is yours, no man can take it from you.
Cheers.

#iamspringtech

I appreciate your contribution bro. The words of encouragement that have come forth from you are kinda soothing. The industry is not the oil industry as presumed but a manufacturing/consumables industry but immense diversification and stake in other industries. As rightly suggested, i think the current economic hardship in the country coupled with the global decline in the price of crude oil is partly responsible for the situation at the moment. I pray for right moment when i will share a success story on this platform. Just as you pointed out, if the job is meant to be mine, then it shall be mine no matter how long it is delayed or suspended.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 1:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
ogawisdom:

Y u dey vex dey insult ur papa

Can't u farm, lazy man grin better take ur frustration on sth positive, frustrated man wink

U r nt better than graduates dt r into farming, d earlier d better for u

Your platform name is better understood as STUPIDITY and not "WISDOM" which you genetically lack. Again, you are a BIG FOOL and you should learn how to address people or contribute to topics like this or anyone for that matter on this platform. If you are suffering from a down-syndrome and unable to comprehend what we are saying here or lack better understanding of what to contribute, then it is better for you to stay away or send your advice to the birds. Better still, take your "poo advice" to the next thread. Oponu lasan lasan!
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 1:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
ulster:
This is normal especially with the current financial situation in the Country. I have progressed in job interviews and have been invited to the last stage interviews with Shell and GE, only to be written that the recruitment has been placed on hold. Obviously, this is due to re-alignment of recruitment needs and financial implication for hiring a new hire, when they can internal resource for that position.

Where I work currently, a colleague resigned in their role, and the role was merged with another one and the person's job enlarged. What the organisation did was increased the chap's salary abit, this means the organisation will not incur cost of hire a new person which would include buying and maintaining a car, phone lines, internet, office space, healthcare, bonuses etc. Thats how it works.

Dont feel bad, please continue in your job hunt, or better still try out your hands as an entrepreneur.
rgds

Thank you bro for this wonderful in-road.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by nell4: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:
Seriously, job hunting in Nigeria could be so tasking, disappointing and altogether frustrating. How can anyone explain to me a reason behind a circumstance where a prospective job seeker applied for a job, sent an invite for interview but was subsequently told that the recruitment into the position has been put on hold indefinitely. In addition, the company in question wished the applicant success in his job search and career.

This actually happened to me and I didn't find it funny at all. What could have been responsible for this?. The company involved here is a multinational company of good repute. Though they apologised for the inconveniences caused but I suspect something went wrong and I find it unconscionable to say the least.

Has this kind of scenario happened to anyone on this platform?. Please let me have your take on this. Thank you.
I checked your replies on some comments here and has found out you are very unserious and lacks manners. For those you advicing him , pls save your mb cos' this OP ain't serious.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 2:02pm On Apr 12, 2016
nell4:

I checked your replies on some comments here and has found out you are very unserious and lacks manners. For those you advicing him , pls save your mb cos' this OP ain't serious.

My brother if you don't have anything to contribute leave this thread and allow serious minded people to share their views. I will not be here if this has not happened to me. I don't make up stories out of nothing.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by nkemjacob2(m): 2:14pm On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:

Congratulations!..... I am a professional and employed.
dats great

1 Like

Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by dxdiag(m): 4:05pm On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:

i was in a situation jz exactly like ds 2yrs ago, kimberly ryan at VI,lagos was recruiting IT Support for a multinational company then, i got call from the HR officer twice that the client ve shifted the interview date, i later got an email and text message to show up at there office at VI close to silverbird galleria, on getting there, they apologized again and said the multinational agent to attend to me is not in country since yesterday dat he got a call to show up oversea.
i was boiling inside me, meanwhile i meet few guys there, i registered my name ws number 12 and the only applicant for IT support officer, while others are business development officer for another company.they apologized dt dey will gt bck to me bt did nt got response frm dem tuil now
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 4:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
GambaOsaka:

Congratulations in advance. If I may ask, have you gotten a job already? Or better, how many interviews have you attended, passed and have gotten the job?
Don't very deceived by those guys that come to orientation camp and tell you book knowledge. Or those articles you read online about getting jobs , CV blah blah blah.

The true picture in the Nigerian job market is totally different. Thousands will go for the test, different stages of interview and yet at the end, after wasting your money, time and energy , they send you a regret and good luck mail. All because the HR manager, General manager or someone refers another person for the position. Even 3rd party recruiters like workforce, adexen and co do bring in their people.

As far as Nigerian job is concerned, only God can get you the job. Not well arranged CV or even years of experience.

U think everything is about Orientation camp? Hell No! Have u seen some CVs written by a graduate? U cannot present a scanty CV or d one that isn't arranged and expect miracle. Yes, CV or years of experience might not get u a job, only God can, but then u have to equip Urself. Don't say because God is there, u won't make any effort. I learnt so many things before I went to camp. And YES I have worked in two different Organizations before my NYSC and I know what I'm talking about. In all, it's still God that has d final say.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 4:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

When you run ya mouth finish, I dey wait you for Aba. Better come find shop for Ariaria oo...

Congrats in advance. You shall be highly favoured kiss

Hahahhahahahahahhaha Nne biko get one for me inside Ahia Ohuru! I cannot come n go and kill myself in Ariaria. Those people there are crazy cheesy cheesy

Thanks Dear!!!! Get my champagne ready wink wink
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:

Your platform name is better understood as STUPIDITY and not "WISDOM" which you genetically lack. Again, you are a BIG FOOL and you should learn how to address people or contribute to topics like this or anyone for that matter on this platform. If you are suffering from a down-syndrome and unable to comprehend what we are saying here or lack better understanding of what to contribute, then it is better for you to stay away or send your advice to the birds. Better still, take your "poo advice" to the next thread. Oponu lasan lasan!

Lazy maggot
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by nell4: 9:19pm On Apr 12, 2016
garnetty:

My brother if you don't have anything to contribute leave this thread and allow serious minded people to share their views. I will not be here if this has not happened to me. I don't make up stories out of nothing.
deranged human being
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 12:32am On Apr 13, 2016
ogawisdom:

Lazy maggot

It is crystal clear that you are a bunkum. I suggest you take your pills. I am better informed than you are, IDIOT.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 12:49am On Apr 13, 2016
nell4:
deranged human being

A fool like you believes everyone on this platform is as stupid and myopic as you are. You must be a terrible psychic to decipher and conclude that I was not serious with my story. I am sure you came out of the same womb with that idiot who calls himself "ogawisdom" and has been saying trash ever since I opened this thread. Silly graduates who don't know their left from right. Nairaland is not designed for low-life personalities like you. Read contributions from decent Nairalanders even inspite of your distractions and tell me whether you and your cohort are not mentally deluded.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by nell4: 8:26am On Apr 13, 2016
garnetty:

A fool like you believes everyone on this platform is as stupid and myopic as you are. You must be a terrible psychic to decipher and conclude that I was not serious with my story. I am sure you came out of the same womb with that idiot who calls himself "ogawisdom" and has been saying trash ever since I opened this thread. Silly graduates who don't know their left from right. Nairaland is not designed for low-life personalities like you. Read contributions from decent Nairalanders even inspite of your distractions and tell me whether you and your cohort are not mentally deluded.
nice comment. you just told the whole world who you really are. someone suggested farming to you and instead of saying thanks, you opened that your smelly mouth by telling him he is mentally unstable. who is the lunatic here.piggy brain dead head.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 9:07am On Apr 13, 2016
nell4:

nice comment. you just told the whole world who you really are. someone suggested farming to you and instead of saying thanks, you opened that your smelly mouth by telling him he is mentally unstable. who is the lunatic here.piggy brain dead head.

Look at this slowpoke whose only contribution to this thread was to determine whether I was serious or not. Goat, who needed me to post evidence of my story before he can believe it. If you are really well upstairs, you should have observed clearly how offensive and lousy your 'dickhead' cohort was getting to have warranted my replies to him. Your expressions says a lot about your low-life.....good for nothing scum!
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by nell4: 10:42am On Apr 13, 2016
garnetty:

Look at this slowpoke whose only contribution to this thread was to determine whether I was serious or not. Goat, who needed me to post evidence of my story before he can believe it. If you are really well upstairs, you should have observed clearly how offensive and lousy your 'dickhead' cohort was getting to have warranted my replies to him. Your expressions says a lot about your low-life.....good for nothing scum!
keep the comments coming. you are really showing us how you behave and reason. this show you are not fit to be in the corporate world.you don't know that potential employers are reading your comments and this can be against you.
Re: The Height Of Frustration In Job Hunting In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 11:20am On Apr 13, 2016
garnetty:

It is crystal clear that you are a bunkum. I suggest you take your pills. I am better informed than you are, IDIOT.

No food for a lazy boy, better go n hustle n leave lamentation son

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

With N-power There Is No Discrimination. / How Long Would I Be Jailed For If I Fought Someone At Work? / Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation recruiting (without NDIC, Banks cant exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.