Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,904 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! (9775 Views)

HBO: Nnedi Okorafor's ‘Who Fears Death’ Turned Into TV Series / Nigerians React To Nnedi Okorafor's Dreadlocks / Lola Shoneyin Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by lalasticlala(m): 9:00am On Apr 08, 2016
Nnedi Okorafor Turns 42 Today!

Born April 8, 1974 (age 42) Cincinnati, Ohio

Nnedi Okorafor (full name: Nnedimma Nkemdili Okorafor; previously known as Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu) is a Nigerian-American writer of fantasy, science fiction, and speculative fiction.

Okorafor received a 2001 Hurston-Wright literary award[1] for her story "Amphibious Green." She then published two acclaimed books for young adults, The Shadow Speaker (Hyperion/Disney Book Group) and Zahrah the Windseeker (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). Zahrah won the Wole Soyinka Prize for Literature in Africa. It was also shortlisted for the 2005 Carl Brandon Parallax and Kindred Awards and a finalist for the Garden State Teen Book Award and the Golden Duck Award. The Shadow Speaker was a winner of the Carl Brandon Parallax Award, a Booksense Pick for Winter 2007/2008, a Tiptree Honor Book,[2] a finalist for the Essence Magazine Literary Award, the Andre Norton Award and the Golden Duck Award and an NAACP Image Award nominee. Okorafor's children's book Long Juju Man was the 2007–08 winner of the Macmillan Writer's Prize for Africa.[3]

Okorafor's first adult novel, Who Fears Death (DAW/Penguin Books), won the 2011 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel,[4] was a 2011 Tiptree Honor Book and was nominated for the 2010 Nebula Award.[5] In 2011 she returned to young adult with Akata Witch (Viking/Penguin), which was a Junior Library Guild Selection, and nominated for the Andre Norton Award. It was also on the American Library Association's Amelia Bloomer Project list honoring children's books with feminist themes.

Okorafor's short stories have been published in anthologies and magazines, including Dark Matter: Reading The Bones, Strange Horizons, Moondance magazine, and Writers of the Future Volume XVIII. A collection of her stories, titled Kabu Kabu, was published by Prime Books in 2013. It includes the titular piece, co-authored by Alan Dean Foster, and six other previously unpublished short stories, as well as 14 stories that had been previously published in other venues since 2001, and a foreword by Whoopi Goldberg.

In 2009 Okorafor donated her archive to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) Collection of the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections at the Northern Illinois University Library.

Gary K. Wolfe wrote of her work: "Okorafor’s genius has been to find the iconic images and traditions of African culture, mostly Nigerian and often Igbo, and tweak them just enough to become a seamless part of her vocabulary of fantastika."

In February 2014, it was announced that Okorafor would be Young Adult Author special Guest of Honor at Detcon 1, the 2014 North American Science Fiction Convention; Detcon1 was putting special emphasis on YA science fiction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nnedi_Okorafor

2 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by zinachidi(m): 9:04am On Apr 08, 2016
hbd..... who else dosen't know this woman.?

she's hot though?? did u just say 42,, looks like she's in her early 30's.

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by mystical109(m): 9:09am On Apr 08, 2016
Nwanne udo dili gi.

Jeez.am I d 2nd to comment?............thank God for afternoon lectures today.sign of winning bet

2 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by falzone: 9:10am On Apr 08, 2016
HBD ma
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Integrityfarms(m): 9:10am On Apr 08, 2016
I admire writers a lot! Happy birthday

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by just2okworld(f): 9:12am On Apr 08, 2016
seriously I dunno her
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by aNAIJAFAN(m): 9:12am On Apr 08, 2016
Y d nose com BIG like dis?

abi na my eye zoom am

Anyway hbd to her

Ma go kontinu the ultimate search for fuel on the streets of Ikeja

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by holicalpha(m): 9:12am On Apr 08, 2016
DAMN! SHE'S HAWT... YOU DONT SEE MANY MILFs AROUND.

OH, I WOULD KILL FOR A LADY WITH GLASSES.

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Gassa007: 9:13am On Apr 08, 2016
But the tattoo

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Flexherbal(m): 9:14am On Apr 08, 2016
Happy birthday!
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by centyboy: 9:14am On Apr 08, 2016
vanity upon vanity... cry
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Abbeyunique2(m): 9:14am On Apr 08, 2016
Hbd
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Kimsunh: 9:15am On Apr 08, 2016
Who she epp?
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by hucienda: 9:16am On Apr 08, 2016
Looks like most Nigerian Americans in the diaspora are Igbo whilst most Nigerian Brits tend to be Yoruba. I wonder why the trends for both in the two countries.

@Topic: Happy birthday Madame Okorafor.
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by putin3: 9:18am On Apr 08, 2016
Hbd
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by eaglechild: 9:22am On Apr 08, 2016
I love intelligent women.

No doubt Igbos have them in abundance.

4 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by coolluk(m): 9:25am On Apr 08, 2016
aNAIJAFAN:
Y d nose com BIG like dis?

abi na my eye zoom am

Anyway hbd to her

Ma go kontinu the ultimate search for fuel on the streets of Ikeja
wetin u don achieve with ur pointed nose, mumu

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 08, 2016
I dey come
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by YorubaWoman: 9:27am On Apr 08, 2016
Oh Zahrah, the windseeker smiley

My fave
Very good novel!
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Gentleveks(m): 9:34am On Apr 08, 2016
Who is she? She dey sell fuel? I need fuel
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Lilimax(f): 9:36am On Apr 08, 2016
Happy birthday sis smiley
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by pafun(m): 9:38am On Apr 08, 2016
Crap writer. Always writing winshcraft book. Who she hep ? angry angry

Gentleveks:
Who is she? She dey sell fuel? I need fuel

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by aalangel(f): 9:44am On Apr 08, 2016
Only Lalasticlala can push faces of unpopular birthday celebrants to front page.
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Nelly21: 9:47am On Apr 08, 2016
Happy birthday! I will be greater than you one day by God's grace
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by adedam007(m): 9:51am On Apr 08, 2016
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by herkeym001(m): 9:53am On Apr 08, 2016
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Chicagoesontop: 9:54am On Apr 08, 2016
Igbo Kwenu .. Please Hit Like For This Our Daughter Of Zion On Her Birthday !!!

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 08, 2016
Hbd
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 08, 2016
Name checkers where una dey.
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by pafun(m): 9:59am On Apr 08, 2016
aalangel:
Only Lalasticlala can push faces of unpopular birthday celebrants to front page.

Dem don pay am na . Nairaland must make money too. grin grin
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! by slap1(m): 10:11am On Apr 08, 2016
Happy Birthday, super Nnedi! One of my greatest sources of inspiration. An absolutely wonderful hard worker! More grace, more ink, more time, space and silence.

(1) (2) (Reply)

{gandhi Jayanti Kavita} Gandhi Jayanti Kavita, Gandhi Jayanti Poem, Hindi Poems / The Testimony Of a Freed Man :two Kingdoms One Soul (complete story) / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.