Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,711 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 (27875 Views)

What Can You Build On Your Land In The Lekki Axis? / Rights Of Landlords And Tenants In Nigeria (part 1) by ibejulekkilawyer / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 8:31am On Apr 09, 2016
I still say omonile is majorly a southwestern problem, just ask spyder880 if he has encountered such in the south east...
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Dieumerci(m): 8:32am On Apr 09, 2016
funmind:

I don't know her.... undecided
Ok.
Madam Gabbytabby is the Queen of the property section of this forum.

Very versatile and still humble.

If you intend to go into properties and want to know how a woman can get through the hassles, then reach out to her.

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 8:37am On Apr 09, 2016
AfroKnight:

Omonile is only in Lagos and some parts of Ogun State.

In south south states except Edo, their own omonile thugs are worse. At least Lagos guys can still negotiate in thousands (100k to 300k). These omonile criminals in the SS (notoriously Rivers state) will kidnap you if you don't pay millions for what they call "marching ground" and "drinking money". Those engineers who supervise village projects for oil communities face even worse life threatening conditions from the local thugs.

Even ordinary tenants that are struggling to pay rent must still pay "drinking money".

Maybe you don't know this cos you are still living in your father's house. Lazy bigot.
At least it is not so in the southeast and even Jos

2 Likes

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by otiigba1(m): 8:39am On Apr 09, 2016
What! There would no point building then just buy outright or get a mortgage less stress
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by 9jatatafo(m): 8:39am On Apr 09, 2016
OP even the bricklayers and their service boys will connive to steal some of your bags of cement

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by otiigba1(m): 8:43am On Apr 09, 2016
AfroKnight:

Omonile is only in Lagos and some parts of Ogun State.

In south south states except Edo, their own omonile thugs are worse. At least Lagos guys can still negotiate in thousands (100k to 300k). These omonile criminals in the SS (notoriously Rivers state) will kidnap you if you don't pay millions for what they call "marching ground" and "drinking money". Those engineers who supervise village projects for oil communities face even worse life threatening conditions from the local thugs.

Even ordinary tenants that are struggling to pay rent must still pay "drinking money".

Maybe you don't know this cos you are still living in your father's house. Lazy bigot.
Really!? shocked If this is the case why bother building a house? Just buy the property me thinks it will work out cheaper or forget the damn! Thing! If it means loosing ones life. Fork it! angry
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Dieumerci(m): 8:44am On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:
I still say omonile is majorly a southwestern problem, just ask spyder880 if he has encountered such in the south east...
Sir, are you sure about this?
Pls ask spyder880 the meaning of 'nri ani' and 'nri uzo'

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by otiigba1(m): 8:45am On Apr 09, 2016
Guys any one knows of which area and state i can get a mortgaged 4 bedroom house? I am looking in the awka area in the south east.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by 100Cents: 8:49am On Apr 09, 2016
Nothing dey happen.

When a JJC enters the Building materials market to buy wood for roofing, nah there dem timber boys go finish you..

And they can spot a newbie like flies spot dead game.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by otiigba1(m): 8:52am On Apr 09, 2016
Dieumerci:

yes o! My brother i bought 4 plots of land some were in nkpor idemmlili area my God! This people are not merciful. i had To pay close to 900 k just for all sorts of settlement from one demand to another. Chineke! Now i am wondering if it was worth it. And they are still demanding up till date even pulled down my fence for refusal to pay
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by otiigba1(m): 8:55am On Apr 09, 2016
funmind:
How can a woman handle this?
just sleep with the omo onile's boss and there will be no qualms grin grin grin
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by aieromon(m): 9:06am On Apr 09, 2016
otiigba1:
Really!? shocked If this is the case why bother building a house? Just buy the property me thinks it will work out cheaper or forget the damn! Thing! If it means loosing ones life. Fork it! angry

The problem with buying a ready made house is simply that you aren't sure of the quality of materials used to construct it. Some of the mini estates in Abuja have leaking roofs and defective walls after five years of construction. If road contractors can use substandard materials,just think of what goes on during building construction. That's why these days,you see houses falling down like a pack of cards.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by AfroKnight: 9:20am On Apr 09, 2016
ben1daEbiri:
I beg to differ,there's no such thing as omo-onle in Rivers,if there is,they don't charge that much.

Don't argue about what you don't know. I said they have their own omonile. "Omonile" is a Yourba word meaning "indigenous landowners". They may have their own native term for it. Their natives are worse than lagos omonile. Especially Rivers. That's a fact. If you doubt me, ask any stranger who bought land and built in the state. Or better still, ask any civil engineer who travelled to work on a site in Rivers.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 9:51am On Apr 09, 2016
Dieumerci:

I follow spyder880 and he has never complained of such in the east, what happens is that after you settle the village head and local government you are free to continue work (in my state sha and most parts of the East), it is deadly in the south south followed by the southwest...
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by abouzaid: 10:16am On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

I follow spyder880 and he has never complained of such in the east, what happens is that after you settle the village head and local government you are free to continue work (in my state sha and most parts of the East), it is deadly in the south south followed by the southwest...
bros, there's nothing like omo onile in anambra, nri ani is a general term meaning to cook a meal for the neighborhood on the day they would witness the handover of the land, even here in the north, it's done not compulsorily but always advised to forestall possible future disputes. onitsha and nkpor youths have been trying very hard to introduce it but it has been largely unsuccessful with the obi of onitsha paying for radio announcements discouraging such practices with warning of possible sanctions. in rivers state, amaechi have stopped it especially in obiakpor local government where it was successfully introduced by the local youths.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by otiigba1(m): 10:28am On Apr 09, 2016
aieromon:

The problem with buying a ready made house is simply that you aren't sure of the quality of materials used to construct it. Some of the mini estates in Abuja have leaking roofs and defective walls after five years of construction. If road contractors can use substandard materials,just think of what goes on during building construction. That's why these days,you see houses falling down like a pack of cards.
makes a lot of sense but as i mentioned ealier i am not prepared to lose my life over building a house
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 10:30am On Apr 09, 2016
abouzaid:
bros, there's nothing like omo onile in anambra, nri ani is a general term meaning to cook a meal for the neighborhood on the day they would witness the handover of the land, even here in the north, it's done not compulsorily but always advised to forestall possible future disputes. onitsha and nkpor youths have been trying very hard to introduce it but it has been largely unsuccessful with the obi of onitsha paying for radio announcements discouraging such practices with warning of possible sanctions. in rivers state, amaechi have stopped it especially in obiakpor local government where it was successfully introduced by the local youths.

Thanks for confirming my statement, its good the obi of onitsha is fighting against it otherwise it would have become a national cancer, building a house is already difficult enough, we don't need extortion...
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Demainman1: 10:33am On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

You don't know what you are saying. Spyder880 encounter omo onile in the east too.

I just paid N170,000 omo onile fees in Owerri, Imo State last week. I blame Nigeria leaders for all of this rubbish not the boys.

Man must survive.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 10:45am On Apr 09, 2016
Demainman1:

You don't know what you are saying. Spyder880 encounter omo onile in the east too.

I just paid N170,000 omo onile fees in Owerri, Imo State last week. I blame Nigeria leaders for all of this rubbish not the boys.

Man must survive.

You must have been duped, if you are not originally from imo, you must have someone who is from there to show you how to go about it, instead of the locals attacking or harassing you they would beg you to employ them
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by bomsilaga(m): 10:46am On Apr 09, 2016
I work in PH, nobody charges millions for any developmental project. The only pay relevant fees to the authorities responsible. It's when you don't approach the relevant authority that you fall prey to those thugs but believe me, I have settled them before with N10000.
Inspectahdeck:
Bro I am surprised you can argue with that unnecessary bigot with a myopic brain.
Please leave them to their foolishness, like you said everybody that worked in PH city know the millions they collect for drink money and marching ground, even tenants pay landlord drink money.
They are so backward that they prefer to collect/share money meant for development. That region is terrible so please leave them to their ignorance.

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by nijanigga: 11:02am On Apr 09, 2016
One day there won't be land left to even farm in Nigeria everybody wants to build house even if na shanty
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Objectives: 11:05am On Apr 09, 2016
vingeophysicist:
the omonile thing nah only for Yoruba land. sets of lazy people.

In all honesty, your comment is false, misleading and unfair,

Its in other southern states too..... I am not sure its a menace in the North as such, its a thing with Nigerian youths who cannot find a responsible way to make ends-meet,

With due respect, Its not peculiar to Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Demainman1: 11:06am On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

You must have been duped, if you are not originally from imo, you must have someone who is from there to show you how to go about it, instead of the locals attacking or harassing you they would beg you to employ them

Well, you probably have only built a house in your village so no point in arguing with you. I will try and dig up a thread where spyder880 settled with the land owners in the east and paste it for you to read

https://www.nairaland.com/1503621/construction-diary-block-6-flats/3

Read the comment entered at 10.57pm Dec 1, 2013
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 11:13am On Apr 09, 2016
Demainman1:

Well, you probably have only built a house in your village so no point in arguing with you. I will try and dig up a thread where spyder880 settled with the land owners in the east and paste it for you to read

I will be waiting
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Demainman1: 11:40am On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

I will be waiting

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by abouzaid: 11:50am On Apr 09, 2016
Demainman1:

bros, that might be extortionist and illegal but it's not the same as omo onile where you pay for each stage of construction, i have a construction thread here of an ongoing work at onitsha, we paid about 300k in total fees before we even broke ground, it was painful then but when i saw the Landlord association installing concrete poles and connecting electricity in the area, i didn't feel too bad again, omo onile is an entirely different beast on it's own.

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 09, 2016
Objectives:

In all honesty, your comment is false, misleading and unfair,

Its in other southern states too..... I am not sure its a menace in the North as such, its a thing with Nigerian youths who cannot find a responsible way to make ends-meet,

With due respect, Its not peculiar to Yorubas.
yoruba are the originator. if you don't know northerners have imitated them. bunch of lazy Yoruba youth
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Cribpark: 12:21pm On Apr 09, 2016
Building in Nigeria is complicated, but it is easy when you know how to handle the issues involved.

www.cribpark.com

You can join our facebook group https://www./cribparkcommunity/ where you can post your specific questions and we will give you a prompt response.

You can also join our whatsapp group where home builders can ask any question relating to your home construction issues and our in-house professionals would reply them on the best practices. Send your number to 08068839618 if you are interested. It is free

funmind:
How can a woman handle this?
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Demainman1: 12:25pm On Apr 09, 2016
abouzaid:
bros, that might be extortionist and illegal but it's not the same as omo onile where you pay for each stage of construction, i have a construction thread here of an ongoing work at onitsha, we paid about 300k in total fees before we even broke ground, it was painful then but when i saw the Landlord association installing concrete poles and connecting electricity in the area, i didn't feel too bad again, omo onile is an entirely different beast on it's own.

Call it whatever name you like. Omo onile is a Yoruba word. Igbo get name for their own extortion. The bottomline is you must pay the money before you break ground.

In my own case, those boys showed up immediately the saw activities on my land to tell me about the compulsory fees, failure to pay will lead to forceful disruption of activity.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

excuse me you are mad if you say the menace is more prominent in South South than south west. I am a witness and have experience such in njanikin Lagos state. my Oga paid this Yoruba lazy chief 250000 thousand naira at first before he started his one storey building. Then another lazy sets of youth came when we started the foundation,my boss gave those ones 80,000 naira and another youth came when we started decking.my boss gave those ones 50,000naira.we thought that was all they came when we started roofing(50,000),plastering(50,000) and fencing (70,000).when this guy's come they come along with there machete, pistol and the rest. in fact all those money we pay to them was due to our plea if not we will pay more than that. My pain is that the Lagos state government can't do anything about these. This is what we call legalize robbery. op God will slaughter you if you repeat that rubbish statement again. condom could have stop an empty brain like yours. withdraw your last statement.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by funmind(f): 12:32pm On Apr 09, 2016
Dieumerci:

Ok.
Madam Gabbytabby is the Queen of the property section of this forum.

Very versatile and still humble.

If you intend to go into properties and want to know how a woman can get through the hassles, then reach out to her.

Thanks!
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by funmind(f): 12:33pm On Apr 09, 2016
otiigba1:
just sleep with the omo onile's boss and there will be no qualms grin grin grin
What

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fire Destroys Vivid Imagination Fashion House In Lagos (Photos) / Fire Razes Club G12 At Oniru Beach, Lagos (Photos) / See The Proposed Nigeria Elevation Tower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.