Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 (27877 Views)

What Can You Build On Your Land In The Lekki Axis? / Rights Of Landlords And Tenants In Nigeria (part 1) by ibejulekkilawyer / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by brag3: 7:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
Madam Gabby. Holiday ke? you know how many bags of cement that is... grin grin grin

gabbytabby:
I have been offline for a week. Queen indeed. The comments on the topic reminded me why I have not gone on holiday until last year cos I was always thinking how far the holiday money will take the project further forward.

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Buildertobadt: 8:10pm On Apr 10, 2016
All these comments show how much long wat we still have to go in building construction practices in Nigeria. May God help us. Nice week ahead people.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by mavverick: 8:41pm On Apr 10, 2016
I cant wait for Part 2 oo.

I think the issue of omonile is a catch 22 in lagos, the political fathers need these guys during elections to cause trouble etc.
From councillor wards, to LG chairman, to house of assembly and then senator and then Governor, they need thugs and i feel that same omoniles are your election thugs are part of them.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Buildertobadt: 10:19am On Apr 11, 2016
From your foundation laying to roofing stage, you need sharp sand, cement, wood, DPM, blocks etc . Contact CRIBPARK today...We are always ready to serve all your building materials needs...Our primary objective is that you get the materials with your resources, whenever you need it and where you do need. Call us today on (Dare on 08068839618 OR Jide on 07056556189) or check us out on www.cribpark.com. We look forward to serving you today!
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Jidbel(m): 12:19pm On Apr 12, 2016
@ OP we dey wait for the part 2 soon ooh! Good job. Kudos to you.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Mekyno(m): 9:30am On Apr 13, 2016
anitank:
This post is very educating yet worrisome, especially for a lady who wants to start a building project with absolutely no orientation at all. It's even hardest when you live outside the country and have to deal with hearsay and trust. And you can't even entirely trust your own family members because everybody want to enrich their pockets from you.

The longer I wait the more badly I want to build a house of my own, yet I can't deal with this
i feel u. Make u studies n plan, and commit it into God hand. Get a known building contractor/ firm to do d job. Study ur frnds n relatives carefully n select a frnd n a relative to oversee d building progress wit daily info and pics at each stage. Try and fix ur visit wen d house must be half way done. Gudluck!

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by igbanbajo(m): 6:21pm On Apr 13, 2016
Cribpark:
1. Everybody Claims To Be An Engineer And Have An Opinion

Engineer is the keyword on site and everyone is one. From the bricklayer, labourer, and supervisor everyone is an engineer. You will even hear some call themselves ‘engineering’. You wonder if that is a higher version of engineers. It doesn’t end there; everyone has an opinion on what the other person should be doing; even the bread seller on site will tell you how you should do your foundation based on how some sites close to you have done theirs. If you don’t have a construction professional to put you through, you may end up confused.

2. You Are Tempted To Go For The Lowest Cost

Your friend learns you are building and refers you to a friend of his who is an experienced structural engineer. Engineer says the project will cost 5,000,000 and Baba Mulika says it would cost just 1.8 million. The price don’t even sound like distant cousins. You go ahead with Baba Mulika because he is cheaper and soon after the project starts, he keeps telling you how the prices of products and work activities are changing every week. At the end of the day, if you are reflective enough to compute your budget, you would have arrived at the 5million the engineer quoted. If you don’t want to have a high BP, Never go for the lowest budget.

Bookmarked.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by anitank(f): 3:46am On Apr 14, 2016
Mekyno:

i feel u. Make u studies n plan, and commit it into God hand. Get a known building contractor/ firm to do d job. Study ur frnds n relatives carefully n select a frnd n a relative to oversee d building progress wit daily info and pics at each stage. Try and fix ur visit wen d house must be half way done. Gudluck!
Really appreciate...thanks
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by stacyadams: 4:13pm On Mar 11, 2017
well the last site im supervising...we met with the oba..we agreed on the omonile fees..it was expensive though , but no single omonile came to the site to disturb even as we just finished the roofing ,except some youths and the security people... we settled em....then local government people came and we paid em even though they didnt write the amount on the receipt.....people will tell u not to pay omonile ,,but some times they come in the night and destroy ur building..while u can ,just settle and build ur house...while supervising,,,some workers re greedy while others are givers...some will take u to lunch,some will appreciate u grin grin all the same i bring my self down to their level and we peacfully agree on how the job should be done..some will recommend elecetricians,carpenters ets,,,then will co join and increase the price of materials,,but then i i go to diff places and compare prices ...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fire Destroys Vivid Imagination Fashion House In Lagos (Photos) / Fire Razes Club G12 At Oniru Beach, Lagos (Photos) / See The Proposed Nigeria Elevation Tower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.