Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,728 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards (1837 Views)

A Nigerian, Adebayo Ogunlesi,  has Acquired The London Gatwick Airport / Terror At Gatwick Airport (london) As Woman Collapse And Dies / Terror List: Tales Of Humiliation At Foreign Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by folamoi: 1:42am On Aug 01, 2009
dear people, am writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction on how my 19months old daughter  and I were being treated at Gatwick airport on the 23rd of August ,2008.I boarded a Virgin Nigeria plane from Lagos, Nigeria to Gatwick Airport, London on the 22nd of august , During my checks at the Gatwick airport I was asked what my purpose was for in the UK, and I answered them by saying my partner has booked a holiday, during which his sister would be getting married and a surprise party has been planned for the parents. After which I was detained at 6am  that  I would be needing a test to confirm the exact date of my pregnancy and when I would be due to have my baby. After waiting for almost 1hr, I was then taken to where my luggage were to check if was bringing in drugs and they saw was clothe I made for the wedding. After this my fingerprint was taken and a medical doctor was brought forth to test me, she used a measuring tape on me and said to me I am 33wks -34wks pregnant, to my surprise my daughter and I were been hurried back to the Virgin Nigeria flight, I then asked  where I was going, they told me I would be sent back to Nigeria on the ground that i am  33-34wks pregnant and that i was trying to deceive the official. I was not allowed to call anyone and my finance was already waiting at the airport for me , on our way back to the plane I called my husband’s lawyer, who they refuse to speak to. I was shouted at, pushed, harassed and humiliated like a criminal. When I refuse that I wasn’t going with them if they won’t do proper checks, they threatened to handcuff and throw me and my 19month old daughter into the plane.

I see this as an act of discrimination and racism, I am a learned person, I know my right and I don’t go against law. i know my pregnancy is just 26wks but they said I was trying to deceive the authority, on this bases my 5yrs visa with my daughter’s 2yrs visa was cancelled, I have been in a state of shock since then ,after which my partner appeal to this decision . i was granted this appeal feb 2009. and since then my lawyer told me he submitted the appeal papers to the embassy  in lagos and nothing has been sent to me since then and even a call i ve not heard from them .my second baby is now eight month and with the hope that i won the appeal ,put in for her visa and she was rejected on the basis that they don't know where her mother is and what proof does she has that her father is in the uk. whereas all document was submitted. pls is there any advice anyone can give me  how do i go about the appeal stuff. do i go here myself or what so i do and how do i go about my second baby's own?  pls pls pple i really need advice it is given loads of sleepless night .cuz i need to move with my life without any stress of having cancelled stamps on my passport .
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by maedan(f): 1:54am On Aug 01, 2009
I'm very sorry about what you went through. I'm not an immigration expert, and I hope you get some decent replies on here, but I just want to say it's a pity you had to go through that at the airport. They can be heartless when they want to be, noone knows why. I mean, a pregnant woman treated like a criminal!! What's so special about their country sef? Just take it easy, I hope you get justice.
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by Busybody2(f): 1:55am On Aug 01, 2009
Fucking hell shocked shocked shocked Jesus is Lord shocked shocked shocked I am sooooooo pissed off reading this angry I am glad you have gotten yourself a solicitor, but did you know if he mentioned anything about your Human rights being violated and trampled on, in your appeal at all?

Chei, if this happened to me, i will scream sotay, they will think I have gone into labour angry Will they drag me off the floor if i refuse to stand up, dem go see were alaso that day angry angry angry

If this really happened the way you said it happened and you have a good lawyer, you are looking at a five to six figure amount in £££s with you and your family being entitled to free travel on Virgin Atlantic for life, thrown in for good measures undecided

What exactly are the grounds of refusal for your second baby? And have you called the Tribunal in UK to chase up the result of the appeal held in February?
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by Busybody2(f): 2:32am On Aug 01, 2009
When you say you applied for visa for your second daughter, was that for your second daughter alone? Was she going to be travelling alone as an unaccompanied minor, for them to have queried who/where her Mama was and doubted whether her Dad was in the UK? Is this second appeal going to be for her alone?
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by davidovie: 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2009
MY FAMILY WAS DEPORTED FROM THE UK NOVEMBER 2008. MY BABY BIRTH CERTIFICATE WAS SEIZE BY ONE HOME OFFICE STAFF CALL NICK CHURCH IN CROYDON LONDON.MY CHILD WAS BORN IN LONDON 2007 . THEY DID NOT CARE ABOUT HIS HEALTH, AND THEY CLAIM TO HAVE A GOOD HUMAN RIGHT RECORD .THEY SHOULD STOP TEACHING HUMAN RIGHT.MY CHILD WAS JUST A YEAR OLD WHEN WE WERE DEPORTED.
.AFTER THESE ILL TREATMENT TO US IN LONDON. I CAME UP TO TELL THE WHOLE WORLD THAT BRITAIN HAS THE HIGHEST RATE OF RACISM IN THE WORLD. THEY HATED BLACKS WITH A PASSION.
WE APPEAL AGAINST OUR DEPORTATION AND ILL TREATMENT IN DECEMBER 2008, BUT UP TILL NOW NO NEWS FROM THE ASYLUM IMMIGRATION TRIBUNAL IN LONDON.

SO MY ADVICE TAKE A GOOD LAWYERS HERE IN NIGERIA OR UK TO FIGHT A LEGAL BATTLE FOR YOUR RIGHT . ITS WOULD COST YOU ALOT OF MONEY TOO.
ANY WAY , MY SYMPATHY FOR THE ILL TREATMENT THOSE BRITISH RACIST DID TO YOUR CHILD AND FAMILY.
FINALLY, THEY DONOT WANT YOU TO HAVE YOUR BABY THERE SO AS NOT TO CLAIM RIGHT OF ABODE IN FUTURE. THAT WHY THEY TOOK AWAY MY OWN CHILD BIRTH CERTIFICATE FROM US.
YOU CAN CALL ME ; DAVID 08063808560
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by Busybody2(f): 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2009
davidovie:

THEY DONOT WANT YOU TO HAVE YOUR BABY THERE SO AS NOT TO CLAIM RIGHT OF ABODE IN FUTURE. THAT WHY THEY TOOK AWAY MY OWN CHILD BIRTH CERTIFICATE FROM US.

You can always collect another copy of birth certificate from the records office right? shocked shocked shocked

Wey the people wey talk say u no fit collect citizenship if your pikin was born after a certain year in the UK again, wey them cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2009
kpele oh.
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by VOR(m): 3:11pm On Aug 05, 2009
Seems a very harsh decision, but to some degree I understand the decision. This is why;

it is quite common to see pregnant women, not just from Nigeria, overstay their visit visa
so they can give birth on the NHS. A lot of these women do not pay for the service but abscond
once they have given birth.
Also, in coming to their decision they would have been guided by the expert opinion of a doctor.
If the doctor told them that you were 33-34wks rather than 26wks as you claimed then they would
believe the doctor rather than you. Believe it or not the doctor is not an employee of the immigration
service.
As for your alleged treatment once the decision was made, I have no defence to this and it is inexcusable.

Having said all this I still believe you have a good chance to have the decision overturned on appeal. Once you
get a date for the appeal hearing make sure you have empirical evidence that at the time of your removal on 23/08/08 you were no more than 26 wks gone. The birth certificate of the subsequently born child should help in calculating how far gone you were at the time as well as your medical records while you were pregnant.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get a hearing date soon.
By the way have you ever visited Gambia? wink
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by justwise(m): 12:48pm On Aug 06, 2009
@folamoi

I'm so sorry to read abt what u went through, its painful experience and i hope that justics will be done sooner or later.

This is a bitter truth, Like somebody mentioned b4, the moment doctor realised that u are33-34wks preg and u are not British, it was always going to be a tough one.
they know u have 5yrs visa and ur daughter 2yrs, immidiately there are chances that u are using the wedding to cover up while ur main mission is to use NHS, thousands of pple have experienced this in the past.
Even though u are not in anyway trying to cheat the system but alot of pple not just Nigerians have done it through Preg.
I think USA have the same policy, they will deport u as soon as they realised that u are preg.

U can go on with the appeal, maybe to get ur 5yrs visa re-issued thought it will cost u alot.

I really wish u all the best
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by whiteguy: 4:47pm On Aug 07, 2009
You are a typical African cockroach, you came all the way to Britain to use our over stretched NHS system that you have NEVER paid into. You are a pest, and you deserved to be sent back to where you belong. You are a disgrac and no differant to a beggar. I am glad there are strict procedures in place to stop africans from taking advantage of the UK.
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by tboy1(m): 4:58pm On Aug 07, 2009
whiteguy:

You are a typical African cockroach, you came all the way to Britain to use our over stretched NHS system that you have NEVER paid into. You are a pest, and you deserved to be sent back to where you belong. You are a disgrac and no differant to a beggar. I am glad there are strict procedures in place to stop africans from taking advantage of the UK.
Typical mentality of an ignorant racist - what a dunce
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by LaNiger(m): 6:14pm On Aug 07, 2009
whiteguy:

Whiteguy, it is quite obvious that you were intimidated in school and out performed by many Africans.  This is the only explanation I can think of for your lack of empathy.  Your country is on the brink of collapse (Financial Crisis) and you are worrying about a pregnant woman.  At the rate at which things are going your white led country might be going into the ground, I think you should give some minorities a chance to lead. Hint (USA).  It appears that your friends in power have run out of options.  cry

I hope your wife never experiences a similar situation, "remember what goes around comes around."
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 07, 2009
@ poster

I think i heard your case(not sure if its you though).

Do u know any ejiro that works with Virgin nigeria?
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by dinggle: 9:47pm On Aug 07, 2009
This goes back to the homeland. I dont know why we can't call up the senators, president, vice and governors and give them each a slap for what this woman had to go thro'

If things were right at home, she would have been received with love.

What a shame.
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by folamoi: 11:46am On Aug 09, 2009
quote author=tboy1 link=topic=303826.msg4315930#msg4315930 date=1249660737]
Typical mentality of an ignorant racist - what a dunce

well someone has already told you that "wht goes around comes around" . it with ur level of intelligence that shows that all wht u think dat blacks does is too cheat. i am preg. well enough i have my job and not keen on living in another man's country with my children waiting for one oyinbo paper to be ready . the brother of some typical coakcroach. get some manners and don't think all women are the same , and ve you ever been to their hospitals? and see how many hrs u stay there to be attended too all in NHS name? and ve u ever thot deeply about racism ? they do practice it too on black pregnant women so tell me wht is in their country and Wht is the so called NHS? SO MR TYPICAL COCKCROACH man GET SO MANNERS
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by tboy1(m): 12:24pm On Aug 09, 2009
^^ u directed ur post to the wrong person
Re: Humiliation At Gatwick Airport And The Appeal Afterwards by mamagee6(f): 9:19pm On Aug 12, 2009
tboy1:

^^ u directed ur post to the wrong person

What a slowpoke that user is. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Dubai (shopping For Corporate Suit) / Nigerian Restaurants In Manila, Philippines / Please Help, I'm Travelling By Air Tomorrow For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.