Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

An Open Letter To The Square Brothers - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / An Open Letter To The Square Brothers (539 Views)

Lizzy Anjorin Writes President Buhari An Open Letter / Open Letter To Eedris Abdulkareem By Kola Onifoto, Naval Officer / Peter Okoye says P-Square is back! And that brother Jude Okoye is back as MNG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The Square Brothers by Asilicentral: 9:53am On Apr 09, 2016
So, an interested fan who doesn't like what is going on in the SquareVille wrote an open letter to the brothers. Very touching!!!

Read the letter below:

To the Brothers of Squareville,

It was December of 2005, the only year we didn’t go down to the village for the Christmas celebration and this banging tune dominated the airwaves. Everywhere, in every home, bar and other jolly joints, one could hear these twin brothers taking the world by storm. ‘Busy Body’ the song was titled, was very easy to sing along to, but most importantly, it was very easy to dance to.

Thus started my interest in all things P-Square. That we share the same birthday, a fact I later found out in 2009 was the universe way of showing me that I was meant to be their number fan.

For years, we were great together, the twin duo making hits and me listening to as many of their songs as I could get my hands on. As the years wore on, the only concern I had about my favorite twins was that it seemed like they were trying to be Wizkid; there was a marked deviation of the thing that made them P-Square, but all in all, I still enjoyed their offerings.

So, when a rumor started that all was not well in Squareville, I like many others thought it as merely a PR stunt, guaranteed to revive interest in their music. I never for once imagined that this was a case of what you see is what you get, until heated words started flying over social media, among brothers that have single-handled defined the Nigerian music-sphere (Yeah, I know that the likes of Tuface, D’Banj and Don Jazzy are there but in my eyes, these brothers defined Nigerian Music and they took no prisoners doing so).

As your number one fan, brother and fellow birthday mate, I couldn’t possibly sit back and watch things continue in this vein without doing much. Though I read over the media that there seems to be some reconciliation going on, I am still bothered enough to warrant me losing sleep over it. So, I thought I should write this, maybe it will provide some much needed perspective on what has been going on for months, and hopefully, help in putting whatever is the issue to rest, once and for all.

I think that in order to understand my drive for writing this letter, a little peek into what my life is like is important.

I am an only son in family of six children, and while that may sound like every man’s dream, suffice it to say that the reality is much harsher than the fantasy. Growing up, I had my own room, all to myself, and while that may not seem like a bad trade off (who doesn’t want a room to himself?) I can assure you that I would gladly had given it all up if it meant that I had a little brother to look after, to be friends with.

The loneliness is heartbreaking. I remember days I’d hear my sisters laughing and discussing amongst themselves. Even though I knew what would happen, I’d go to their room for a little bit of human contact and what I’d get would be the door to their room locked to my face. There were times I stood there not knowing what to do, whether to cry or get angry at the rebuttal, but nothing would ever change the mere fact that my sisters, my own flesh and blood didn’t want me with them.

I could have gone out, played with other boys my age, but we were raised in this way that precluded that. Everything we need, we were taught from young to seek it within the confines of our family compound.

So, the only friend I had really growing up was myself. I’ve had countless conversations inside my head, and for a few years, I kept wishing that somehow, someone would help take it all away. Until one day the loneliness stopped bothering and instead of dreading it, I welcomed it. It allowed me time to fashion out the kind of man I would be, it allowed me time to read, which made it all the more bearable.

But, as much as I loved the loneliness, as much as I cherish it, there are still moments when I would give anything for that to change. Now, I find it difficult letting people in, opening myself up for that opportunity for relationships to turn into friendships. I make no apologies for this statement, because this is my reality: the only person I ever need to be happy is myself. This doesn’t in anyway suggest that I am anti-social or socially inept. Quite to the contrary, I find that I have many acquaintances and I am able to be the life of a group because of it.

In a way, discovering P-Square gave me hope that someday I can open myself up to be able to connect to another person and not wonder when they would leave. P-Square to me was not just about music but the fact that a partnership can work so well and can be sustained through love, brotherhood and camaraderie. P-Square to me is the symbolism of the hope of the dream of someday allowing someone in enough to call them brother and partner.

So, imagine what it does to my psych having to revise that notion and dream. Imagine having to wake up and realize that the very symbol upon which your dream is founded is not as secured as previously thought. Let me tell you, it has been a nerve-wracking few months. And it’s not good for my sanity.

You are all acting so foolishly! I’d like to apologize for using this word but I would be lying if I say that these aren’t the exact words to describe your actions of late. So, you have made money, so you have fame, so you have families and fans who would take your bullshits, and then what? You think you have arrived. Suddenly those boys with humble beginnings that played football on the streets of Jos and walked miles to get to studio have all that they ever desired that they forget what is important?

You are all acting stupidly! Airing you family beef over social media, calling yourselves names, siding with different people, missing each other’s important moments like weddings, going off to do your own stuff, knowing that it would hurt the family. These are signs that you three have taken leave of your senses and have forgotten what’s important.

I am not against any of you doing other stuff outside of Squaredom, for the record, I totally support it. But it should not come at the detriment of what you have worked years to build. If you think it was a cake walk getting to where you are today, sit and look back on the journey, the road travelled so far and tell yourself the truth whether you could have gotten to where you are without the others.

The simple answer if you don’t know is that it would be astronomically impossible to get to where you are today if you had undertaken it alone. The only draw that P-Square has that other musicians don’t is your brotherhood. People like investing in sure things and over years, they have thought that there is no way brothers would ever fall out because of fame and money. Guess how wrong we are? But that’s why people invest in you, because you have better guarantee of continuity than any musician out there, and yours is a story millions will relate to.

Give that up and you are all gone, forgotten; a bunch of washed up has-beens who would do anything to hang on to the fickle train of fame and success. For a while you might even think that it is working until you wake up one day and realize that you have nothing and that you’re alone. You wake and you ask yourself; why did we ever break up? You will look for the reason why you fought in the first place and you will not find it. You may try to get back together but the world would have moved on.

I have great relationship with my sisters, and we talk now, but I can tell you that we would have been closer had they opened the door a few times. I would have learnt to share with them my feelings, but that ship is sailed. This might be your story if you don’t get your acts in order.
Instead of looking for who to call Heaven and tell your mother what’s happen, remember her and how she cared for you then let that lead you back to each other. Instead of asking people to look into your eyes, look into your brothers’ eyes and tell them what you see. The world is waiting for what’s next, some are rooting for you, while others are rooting against you. The saddest thing is that those rooting against you may be the closest people around you; this is all I am saying on this one.

I suggest you three take a vacation, just the three of you to a place that has meaning to you. Find that feeling that makes you P-Square, and please, renew our faith that brotherhood trumps money or fame. I shall be praying for you, because if you get it right, maybe there is hope after all for me.

Wishing you three the possible best in your future endeavors.

I remain your number One fan,

Bright.

Re: An Open Letter To The Square Brothers by CaptainPlanet(m): 10:02am On Apr 09, 2016
if d letter was for me, I will have read it..buh it's otherwise.....so square broads or watev...read ur letter

grin Oga P, person bring letter for you poo, I know know wetin him want...him mate do cry finish na nw e dey bring letter....u go wan find am too?

(1) (Reply)

Airport Worker Destroys Plane After Losing Job / 'mogbedi Fun Tooto'- Celebrating Women Before Mothers Day. / Seyi Shay,waje ,omawumi Stun For Asa Live In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.