Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,957 members, 7,817,812 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Listening To Music While Studying – Do Or Don’t - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Listening To Music While Studying – Do Or Don’t (623 Views)

Tips To Avoid Sleeping While Studying At Night / Learn To Earn; Earn While Studying-your Best Opportunity! / Black People Listening To Music From A Speaker For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Listening To Music While Studying – Do Or Don’t by EduRegard: 10:32am On Apr 09, 2016
Currently jamming up ‘Jabula‘, a song by the popular South African group – ‘Teargas‘ as I refill my ink and dust my slate to write this post.
Researchers and students have often wondered whether listening to music has negative or positive effects on studying habits and whether studying while listening to music is a “do” or “don’t”.

Studies have shown that listening to music before or while studying or performing a task can be beneficial as it improves attention, memory, and even your ability to do mental math as well as helping lessen depression and anxiety. These studies and researches seem to point to the fact that music can actually help you study and those who listen to music while studying may actually be better off compared to those who don’t.

However, there have also been several studies that have shown that music can actually have negative impacts on your studying effectiveness — particularly when it comes to memorising something in order. You can’t tell me you will be able to memorise the first 100 chemical elements when you have your headphone bursting up “Rick Ross – No Games” into your hearing. Listening to music will diminish your cognitive abilities in these situations because when you’re trying to memorize things in order, you can get thrown off and confused by the various words and lyrics in the song playing in the background.

Although listening to liked or disliked music has exactly the same impact, but why would I start playing “Asa’s songs” is a question for me, you should have your preference as there might be no impact but your mentality will speak if you listen to a song that doesnt flow with your blood. Because music can impact and regulate your mood and the best mood to study in is a more relaxed mood, choosing music that helps you relax and understanding your choice but also with enough beat or rhythm to ensure you don’t zone out while studying is crucial. But music that’s too loud or with too much of an upbeat tempo can also be distracting, so having a playlist or specific artist you turn to for studying can really help.

If you’re the type of person who has more difficulty multitasking and is easily distracted, listening to music while studying may just cause your attention to drift to the music rather than help you concentrate on your material. It’s better to avoid it.

So basically, the final decision about studying while listening to music is up to you — do you feel you concentrate better with Taylor Swift singing or Lil Wayne screaming foul languages in the background? Or do you find yourself thinking of the lyrics to the song rather than what you’re supposed to be studying?

Conclusively, Music’s effects on study habits will vary from person to person, but in order for you to study the most productively, you need to figure out the effect music has on your studying ability, and then tailor your studying playlist — be it silence or music — to best suit your needs and efficiency.

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/listening-to-music-while-studying-do-or-dont/
Re: Listening To Music While Studying – Do Or Don’t by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 09, 2016
Some useful comments here: https://www.nairaland.com/2921721/dont-studying-while-listening-music. Well, mine exactly since no one else contributed to the discussion.
Re: Listening To Music While Studying – Do Or Don’t by YoBoyfwend(m): 9:47am On Apr 10, 2016
You can't serve two gods at a time
Re: Listening To Music While Studying – Do Or Don’t by urchcoded(m): 1:51pm On Apr 10, 2016
it all depends if u're musically inclined my bro u just gonna end up trying to decipher d chord combination, tempo, scale rhythm and tonal composition of the song hence u can't concentrate on ur book at all...

talking i
outta experience
Re: Listening To Music While Studying – Do Or Don’t by 2NDLieutenant(m): 2:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
Some people can and can't read while listenening to music..

(1) (Reply)

Before You Apply To That Fake Foreign University, Read This! / The Latest 2016 List Of The Top 20 Best Universities In Nigeria / Nasu Rejects New Oau Vc: Heads To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.