Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,506 members, 7,958,538 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:43 PM

I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice (1762 Views)

Please Help; I'm Too Shy / 10 Awkward Things To Ever Face A Ban / Images You Would Relate To If You Grew Up Shy In A Nigerian Institution. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by funmijoyb(f): 11:48am On Apr 11, 2016
I will be facing a large crowd on stage for like 30 minutes on Thursday of this week, plz I need urgent advice..have never use alcoholic drink before should I try it? will it help cure my anxiety?

Pls nairaland kindly suggest what I should do if you are once in my shoe.

Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 11, 2016
wear sunglasses like Don' Jazzy and thank Me later
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by Ojestas(m): 11:52am On Apr 11, 2016
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by Justeenaleo(f): 11:53am On Apr 11, 2016
My coach used to say:
Just imagine that your audience are all naked and you are the only one fully clothed.

1 Like

Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by babyfaceafrica: 11:54am On Apr 11, 2016
Alchohol won't work for you..works better for men.....you might over do it...it aint that hard just make sure you practice whatever You want to say and PLEASE don't look into anybody eyes...just look above peoples head..don't say too much either..just do your thing and gerrout..stop worrying about what people will say if you make a mistake...even orators are bashed....people will always run dere mouth like aunti linda....wish u d best!!

3 Likes

Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by dulux07(m): 11:57am On Apr 11, 2016
Keep reciting this till the d day gather courage n overcome anxiety and nervousness. "They are only humans, why should i be afraid, i fear no one except God"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by Yuneehk(f): 12:07pm On Apr 11, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Alchohol won't work for you..works better for men.....you might over do it...it aint that hard just make sure you practice whatever You want to say and PLEASE don't look into anybody eyes...just look above peoples head..don't say too much either..just do your thing and gerrout..stop worrying about what people will say if you make a mistake...even orators are bashed....people will always run dere mouth like aunti linda....wish u d best!!
kai! Youve said it all. I'm also a shy person and had a similar case to that of the Op. All I did was avoid the eyes of my coursemates and lecturers, looked above their heads and did my thing.
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by Ramanto(m): 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2016
Tell Yourself You Can Do It. I Experienced Same In February And Scaled Through It In Front Of Profs. What Is The Calibre Of Your Audience? Think That Will Also Have Some Inflence On Your Preparation
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by amunkita(m): 12:25pm On Apr 11, 2016
Wow!!

When I encountered such was with conducting an early morning training in the office.

I started practicing at home but I knew I will flop if I don't add alcohol, so every morning I go over to d toilet to sip some juice nd I was good to go..

Infact, I wan give testimony for church buh fear dey catch me say God go vex say I don shayo enta church..

My advise:
Get urself an eye glass, possibly a bit dark glass, so that they don't see ur eye balls.
While u address them focus ur head as if u re looking at them but let ur eye focus be over their head.
U can compliment ur speech with body movement.
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 11, 2016
Am learning
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by tunaguy(m): 12:29pm On Apr 11, 2016
Codiene and ref
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by ULSHERLAN(m): 12:31pm On Apr 11, 2016
It's not advisable to take alcohol for presentations. Just imagine the crowd are your group of friends, talk to them like you are talking to your friends. Free yourself and every other thing will fall in place

3 Likes

Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by funmijoyb(f): 3:18pm On Apr 11, 2016
amunkita:
Wow!!

When I encountered such was with conducting an early morning training in the office.

I started practicing at home but I knew I will flop if I don't add alcohol, so every morning I go over to d toilet to sip some juice nd I was good to go..

Infact, I wan give testimony for church buh fear dey catch me say God go vex say I don shayo enta church..

My advise:
Get urself an eye glass, possibly a bit dark glass, so that they don't see ur eye balls.
While u address them focus ur head as if u re looking at them but let ur eye focus be over their head.
U can compliment ur speech with body movement.
was it the alcohol dat helped u or d sun glass? in my case, it will not be ethical or professional to use sun glasses. is not an entertainment galore but I'm to give orientation to my fellow university students with lecturers and profs in attendant.

waiting 4 ur reply
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
I know this might sound a bit unorthodox, but this is what works for me and I'll like to share it with you.
First and foremost, the primary motivation for anxiety, especially when you are about to face a crowd of people, is predominantly fear. You are afraid you might embarrass yourself. Afraid you might say the wrong thing or not meet up to their expectations.

But let me ask you a question. If you were to face a crowd of kids, would you feel this same anxiety? Would you be scared? Of course not. Why? Because you know that they are kids and you feel you are their superior and that you are smarter and more advanced than then in all ramification. You see, you are afraid of the task at hand, because you are speaking to mature minded people who are educated and who are within or above your social class. You are afriad you could "fall your hand"- A direct opposite of the kind of feelings you would nurture if you were to speak to a crowd of basic one students. Now this brings me to the point I am driving at.

The way I overcome the fear of public speaking, is that I instill in myself the belief that I am better than all those people that I am speaking to. That they are just like kids who want to listen to the special thing I have to say. When I look at them, I imagine them as nursery school students. I forge the conviction that I am better than them, and so, I shouldn't feel fear. After all, I was invited to talk to them. This is proof that I am an important person and I let myself ride on that feeling of importance and power, and this gives me confidence to speak to them like I am supposed to.

I am not forcing you to try this, but if you feel like it, then give it a try.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by amunkita(m): 4:25pm On Apr 11, 2016
funmijoyb:

was it the alcohol dat helped u or d sun glass? in my case, it will not be ethical or professional to use sun glasses. is not an entertainment galore but I'm to give orientation to my fellow university students with lecturers and profs in attendant.

waiting 4 ur reply

Used both, thou the glass I used ain't a sun glass.
I bought the exact of a recommended glass but was not medicated.

Just believe the glass will go a long way to shade ur eye direction cous part of our problem is eye contact..
Re: I'm Shy and About To Face A Large Crowd Pls I Need Your Advice by wroskian(m): 7:22pm On Apr 11, 2016
Nice post there @Decker.
Funmijoyb, looking at the closeness of your presentation, I will advise you prepare well as adequate preparation elicits confidence. In doing this, try as much as possible to anticipate questions that might be thrown at you and see yourself as a leader who is about to influence subordinates.

In the long term, you could as well join groups where you would be required to speak to people occasionally and before you know it, you become more confident. I got over my shyness by joining an acting group. All the best.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

/ West African Examination Council In Mistake With Ugwumsinachi Chinecherem' Resut / Check Your Admission Status 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.