Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,816 members, 7,841,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone (2378 Views)

SARS Officials Beat Man At ATM In Fadeyi, Lagos (Photos) / A Soldier In Uniform Beaten By A Policeman In Mufti At ATM In Damaturu / 10 New Tricks Kidnappers Use To Lure Victims-the Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by winkmart: 1:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
I will like to bring this to your notice as it happened to someone close to me and it will be very useful to everyone, especially those that are totally dependent on MOBILE MONEY TRANSFER, through most of these banks' short code platform, GTBank in particular.

The access code to transfer money from your GTBank account is the last four digits of your ATM. This is a serious security lapses which should be replaced ASAP by the bank.

Now scammers are using that lapses to perpetuate evil at ATM points.

This is the modus operandi

While you are on the queue at the ATM point. The scammer will be right behind you and watching your ATM card if you carelessly have it with you. Once he is able to get the last 4-digits, then he is a step further towards scamming you of your money.

The next thing he does is to wait behind while you are leaving, he then walks up to you and claims he is extremely sick and expecting money from a relative and that he needs to call but doesn't have airtime on his phone. He will then ask if you could lend him your phone to call his relative. If unfortunately, that is the phone number you registered with your bank, then you are done.

He then walks to a corner and pretends as if he is calling. At a point, he will do as if he is trying to redial the number, where as he is already making an attempt to transfer cash from your account.

If he succeeds in transfering the cash, he waits until alert enters and then delete the message before handing over the phone to you.

I hope you are able to learn from this and never give in to anyone asking you for your phone at any ATM POINT. Not even only at that point, even in your home or hostel, your ATM now should be kept with all secrecy.

Banks should also note this and maybe work towards changing their system of using the last 4-digit numbers of the ATM as a pass code.

Thanks
[size=18pt]Courtesy:[/size]
www.blackberrybabes.com

lalasticlala

Re: New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by winkmart: 1:12pm On Apr 11, 2016
You will need to be security conscious
Re: New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by sonyviao(m): 1:17pm On Apr 11, 2016
uhmmm... shishi no dey my account self; u go just waist your time ni... na inside KOLO' (local piggy-bank) i dey put my money. h
Re: New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by Agrico1: 1:17pm On Apr 11, 2016
Oya comman scam a dry account na.
Re: New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by bash4us(m): 1:19pm On Apr 11, 2016
Men of the underworld think and do more researches than our Professors.

But for wrong reasons.

May God help us

1 Like

Re: New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by micfoley: 1:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
Another one
Re: New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by Nobody: 6:36pm On Apr 11, 2016
i no get dat kind patient make person dey use ma phone ping.. if uno fit call 4 ma front odabo..
Re: New Tricks Scammers Use At ATM Points To Transfer Your Cash From Your Phone by teegrams(m): 8:13pm On Apr 11, 2016
good info

(1) (Reply)

Charity Aiyedogbon's Daughter Who Is Set To Wed July 9 / Chelsea Fan Kills Barca Fan Today Graphic Pics / Rich Yahoo Boy Runs Mad, Confesses Of Using His Dad For Money Rituals(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.