Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,980 members, 7,956,661 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:30 PM

The Woman Of Substance. - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / The Woman Of Substance. (1891 Views)

The Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Woman Of Substance. by joseph1832(m): 12:31am On Apr 13, 2016
In the bright of day she came to me
With intentions full of lust and greed,
Seeking to use her might; she got to me,

Pretending to be what I like so she can flee;
Flee with my Benjamins to quench her need,
In the bright of day she came to me.

A woman of substance she claimed to be,
One full of zeal and so much creed,
Seeking to use her might; she got to me.

A perverse lust she flared and I agree,
To her charms I open my heart and she bleed...
In the bright of day she came to me.

Her greed was as busy as a very busy bee,
She bleed and bleed me dry... I shivered,
Seeking to use her might; she got to me.

The woman of substance was a romp I agree,
My Benjamins she took and flee, thus I cried...
In the bright of day she came to me,
Seeking to use her might, she got to me.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Woman Of Substance. by joseph1832(m): 12:32am On Apr 13, 2016
CONTENT ANALYSIS OF THE POEM

BACKGROUND OF THE POEM: The background is set in the typical Nigerian work environment where the usual hustle and bustle to get a good job is the order of the day.

This particular setting revolves around an office environment where people get interviewed and are given jobs as a result of having passed the interview, some based on merit and some base on other things that centre around the popular saying: "Use what you have in other to get what you want".

PLOT OF THE POEM: The plot is centered around a woman who came looking to get employed, but instead off submitting her C.V, she submitted her sexuality, which the owner of the company tasted and liked.

It then turns out that the woman was never really looking for a job, but a means to exploit her employer, taking his money from him using her sexuality as her greatest alley, which the employer fell for, and after which, she proceeded in not just exploiting him, but draining him of his cash, until she had her fill.

Her employer, after falling prey to the woman's wiles and gimmick, then discovering her intention, after parting with his wads of cash, was caught in a reverie, Lamenting how the woman exploited him, using her sexuality as her greatest weapon knowing some men are weak whenever they see that which lay beneath the skirt, thus he dubbed her "The Woman of Substance".

STRUCTURE OF THE POEM: The poem is a 19 line poem written in 5 tercet and a quatrain. The poem has a specific rhyme scheme of AbA abA abA abA abA abAA written in no particular feet, meter or syllable structure.

This type of poem is known as the villanelle poem because of its strict rhyme scheme and its specific use of refrain. The capital letters in the rhyme scheme show the refrain.

POETIC DEVICE(S)

Metaphor: This device is used in line 1 and line 3, 6, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18 and 19.

Metonymy: This is used in line 5 of the poem. The word 'Benjamin' signify this in the poem.

Repetition: This is used in lines 7 and 16 in the poem. "A/The woman of substance".

Refrain: This device is used in lines 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 and 19.

Enjambment: This device is used in lines 1 and 2.

End-Stopped Line: This is used at the end of lines 3 to 19. The punctuation mark at the end of each line signify the use of this device

Ellipsis: Used in line 11, 14 and 17.

Simile: This is used in line 13 of the poem.

Personification: This is used in line 10 of the poem.

THEME:

Sex
Lust
Greed
Deceit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Woman Of Substance. by texanomaly(f): 2:17am On Apr 13, 2016
I've already given you my critique.
Re: The Woman Of Substance. by joseph1832(m): 7:55am On Apr 13, 2016
texanomaly:
I've already given you my critique.
Course you have, and I thank you. I'm just lazy about posting the analysis... Will do it soon though.

Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

Re: The Woman Of Substance. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2016
joseph1832:
Course you have, and I thank you. I'm just lazy about posting the analysis... Will do it soon though.

Thanks for your time.

You've made a wonderful piece here. When I read your "background " I almost thought all I was trying to understand was illusive not until I read the plot.

Anyway, how can I be subjected under your umbrella of learning? I love poetry but I don't really appreciate what I'm writing these days and moreover...it's just me alone who does the poetry thing in my little world.
No critique and so it gets boring in a way. How is it gonna be?

1 Like

Re: The Woman Of Substance. by joseph1832(m): 6:35pm On Apr 17, 2016
TheAgba:

You've made a wonderful piece here. When I read your "background " I almost thought all I was trying to understand was illusive not until I read the plot.

Anyway, how can I be subjected under your umbrella of learning? I love poetry but I don't really appreciate what I'm writing these days and moreover...it's just me alone who does the poetry thing in my little world.
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it, however, I'm a learner too. I just write what I feel, see, touch and hear.

However I can give you a little tip on what you can do to improve your poetry.
Re: The Woman Of Substance. by Dklef(m): 6:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
HoHoHo...

Joseph, i like this one! smiley

1 Like

Re: The Woman Of Substance. by Dklef(m): 7:03pm On Apr 17, 2016
TheAgba:

Hey bro! Chill.
You can be everything you want to be, only and just if you're ready to put in the work.
.....Just write, write, and write. And you'd be just fine. smiley

Please do mention me when you finnaly drop you writeup, bro?

1 Like

Re: The Woman Of Substance. by Nobody: 6:21am On Apr 18, 2016
joseph1832:
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it, however, I'm a learner too. I just write what I feel, see, touch and hear.

However I can give you a little tip on what you can do to improve your poetry.

Yeah...we're all learning but you're in primary 6 from a good school while I'm in primary 1 in a bad school where I don't have teachers.

Should we go through mails or WhatsApp or what's your choose? I will heed to your choice.

GM
Re: The Woman Of Substance. by Nobody: 6:26am On Apr 18, 2016
Dklef:

Hey bro! Chill.
You can be everything you want to be, only and just if you're ready to put in the work.
.....Just write, write, and write. And you'd be just fine. smiley

Please do mention me when you finnaly drop you writeup, bro?

I've dropped some of my works here bro. I also participated on the poetry competition, reached the final rounds but we just couldn't make first or second place.

Check my posts and you'll see some like "Ladies of Babylon ", "Glossolalia " (Unless I didn't post it here)... in the past I appreciated my work at least but after I stopped penstruating while I was in school, things have changed now that I'm on holiday. Moreover, I need corrections, critiques and the rest. I just love poetry.

Thanks bro...anyway, I'll do as you say. GM.
Re: The Woman Of Substance. by joseph1832(m): 7:20am On Apr 18, 2016
TheAgba:

Yeah...we're all learning but you're in primary 6 from a good school while I'm in primary 1 in a bad school where I don't have teachers.

Should we go through mails or WhatsApp or what's your choose? I will heed to your choice.

GM
LOL. You can send a pm, let's start from there, hope this is okay with you?

Morning.
Re: The Woman Of Substance. by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 18, 2016
joseph1832:
LOL. You can send a pm, let's start from there, hope this is okay with you?

Morning.
That's very OK.
Re: The Woman Of Substance. by joseph1832(m): 7:54pm On Apr 18, 2016
TheAgba:

That's very OK.
I just sent you a pm. Saw the one you sent on my NL display page but I never got the mail.

(1) (Reply)

If Tomorrow Never Comes / Another: HISTORY / Review My Poem - Making Friends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.