Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,261 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria (33017 Views)

Students Burn Private Polytechnic In Osun (photos) / Best Polytechnic In Nigeria / Best Polytechnic In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 8:52am On Jan 22, 2007
Hnd-holder:

State and private proprietors of polytechnics and colleges of education reserved the right to continue to run their programmes the way they choose.

They have examples in the Ogun State-owned Tai Solarin College of Education, Ijagun, Ogun State, now Tai Solarin University of Education

The Polytechnic, Calabar, now Cross River State University of Technology (CRUTECH).

How will they be running it?? ND & HND or ND & BTech/Bsc?? Please answer me now??
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 11:08am On Jan 22, 2007
All with retroactive effect. E.g All HND graduate of Calabar polytechnics are now rated as Graduates and all promoted to 15 and 16 Level.

They run as they like, poly stops at ND level officially with FG
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 11:30am On Jan 22, 2007
Hnd-holder:

All with retroactive effect. E.g All HND graduate of Calabar polytechnics are now rated as Graduates and all promoted to 15 and 16 Level.

They run as they like, poly stops at ND level officially with FG

Na wa oo!! So bad. So polytechnics have been taken back to the days of Diploma only; that is back to 1960's and early 70's. Let FG scrap polytechnics as a whole so dat nobody will go and waste his/her time there reading for one yeye Diploma.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 2:16pm On Jan 22, 2007
The Diploma now is refered to as NON_ Degree component of University. FG has no poytechnic again.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 2:52pm On Jan 22, 2007
So States can still have polytechnics?? States can still run ND & HND programs , is that what it means?? Rubbish!! What becomes of NBTE??
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 3:12pm On Jan 22, 2007
Still play its role but not like before, work with NUC
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 4:13pm On Jan 22, 2007
Hnd-holder:

Still play its role but not like before, work with NUC

Will state polytechnics still be running ND and HND or only ND?? If NBTE will be working together with NUC who will then over see the affairs of the existing polytechnics?? Will it still be NBTE??
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 4:22pm On Jan 22, 2007
Let wait and see. States would go in POWER way now!
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 8:52am On Jan 23, 2007
You did not answer my question. Will the state polytechnics run ND & BSc/BTech or ND & HND?? But why should the government make a law that is suppose to cover all polytechnics in the country to cover only Federal polytechnics?? Is the new educational policy (9-3-4) going to be for Federal schools only?? That means states can decide to be running 6-3-3-4 system or the former system of 6-5-4; is that what it means??
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 9:02am On Jan 23, 2007
Check the salary issue now states are on their own
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 10:30am On Jan 23, 2007
if thatz the issue then states should not be compelled to run their socalled 9-3-4 system. So at Federal level there are no polytechnics, while at state level there are polytechnics, abi?? Soon we will have form 1-5 in secondary schools at state level and 9-3-4 system will be introduced for only schools under the Federal government. It's absolutely rubbish!! This people have succeded in deforming our educational sector rather than reforming it.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 11:15am On Jan 23, 2007
My brother I am tired o
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 11:57am On Jan 23, 2007
I thought the reform was meant to remove the discrimination against polytechnic graduates and holders of HND certificate, and to empower polytechnics to start running Masters and PhD programs?? This is all rubbish!! States will have polytechnics while Federal government will not have; it does n't make any sense to any sensible man. if states still have polytechnics it means the discrimination still goes on.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 12:03pm On Jan 23, 2007
I am keeping my fingers cross
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by emmigrant0(m): 2:16pm On Jan 29, 2007
This will tell feela HND holders how far the government had gone to either improve or distroy our education system.
But personally i have begin to reason with the government to some extent since discrimination is the order of the day.

But those with the already HND result and certificate will have to go to their former school for revalidation or a change of card and names.
Cheers friends.

YabaTech students jittery - Over admission requirements
By Kehinde Adio

Entrance of the college.No doubt, the thinking of some students and principal officials of the Yaba College of Technology has changed since the Federal Government announced the conversion of the institution to a city university late last year. Though the college, which happens to be the oldest higher institution in the country, has not taken off as a full-fledged university, the students on the campus have begun to feel the impact of its new status. However, while there is a gradual transformation and a change of hearts by the current students, those who had graduated with National Diploma are afraid of being sidetracked by the new requirements of the college, which they said may not favour them. As a matter of fact, they want to know if the new institution’s status will favour them.

According to a student of School of Science who simply identified herself as Ugochi, many students are beginning to worry about the institution’s new status. She told Education Tribune that the authorties of the institution have not officially addressed the students about the conversion and how it would affect their academic status. “We love the new status of the institution but we are afraid if it is not going to have any negative effect on us,” she said. Ugochi is presently in ND II and prefers to proceed for a degree programme in the college rather than to embark on a year industrial attachment. She said, “I have spent two years in the college for my ND. Normally, I’m supposed to proceed on a year industrial attachment but I would have loved to continue and graduate as a degree holder if the college permits me.”

Mr. Wale Oyeola is a good example of one of the ND graduates. He studied General Arts. Though he is currently on a year industrial attachment, he told our correspondent that he prefers to go back to the college for degree programme rather than the HND. As he puts it, “ All my colleagues want to come back for degree programmes but not HND.” However, he did not hide his feelings about the modalities that the college might want to use to admit its former students for the degree programme. He said, “ If the college will still go ahead to admit us for the degree programme with the ND certificate, almost all of us will return but if otherwise, some may cross to some other universities. We want to come back but we don’t know if there will be new requirements for admission, especially for those of us who passed through the institution for our ND programme.”

Commenting on the new status and the requirements for admission into the institution, the Public Relations Officer of the college, Mr. Kunle Adams, stated that the college had already set a high standard and it would not go below it but rather it will raise to it requirements. He said that the institution had always based its admission on merit, adding that the former and present crops of students were solely admitted on merit. Though he refused to comment on the probability of new admission requirements, Adams said that the college’s had inaugurated a committee to work them out. “I wouldn’t want to comment either there will be a change of admission requirement or not but there is a committee set up by the college to augment the work of the presidential committee. However, I cannot divulge the working of the committee to you,” he said.

However, there is the need for the students to be panic. The institution has experienced a drastic transformation since its establishment in 1947. It was established as the Yaba Technical Institute to provide middle level manpower to augment the working of the British personnel. In its metamorphosis, the admission requirements also changed. Because it was meant to train apprentices then, there was less academic exercise and the admission requirements were not based on academic qualifications. The institute had been presenting students for City and Guilds Examinations in London in building construction, electrical and mechanical engineering with satisfactory results and had been writing college diploma examinations until 1963 when it became a college of technology.

The change was in anticipation of the dynamic role it played in the production of technical manpower for the economic and social development of Nigeria. Subsequently, the transformation brought about changes in admission requirements. Now, the college is one of the two polytechnics being converted to city universities in Nigeria. Undoubtedly, the university system is created basically for research and academic activities while polytechnics education teaches practical skills. While university’s minimum admission requirements is five credits including English Language and Mathematics, polytechnics’ admit candidates with four credits perhaps because of its less academic exercise.

With this in mind, most students are expressing fear that the admission requirement may change and that there may be no room to absorb those who have four credits. However, Adams argued that the college had adequate facilities that could enable it to compete favourably within university system. He also said that the quality of manpower in the college could compete with that universities. As he put it, “ It is only the nomenclature that will change, we have the structures and manpower. There may also be the need to include some courses in the college but it is not going to change its technological character. We will continue with the 70 per cent technology and 30 per cent management courses.”

The college, due to its new status, may take a new form soon. Series of renovations are going on at the college at present. The college has just built a new hostel located about 50 metres to its main gate. Currently, it has six halls of residents while the sports centre is being rehabilitated. The proposed city university has about 12 schools, which may increase when it finally take off.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by jocelyn: 9:55am On Jan 31, 2007
I just stumbled across this forum and it seems to have this topic of interest to me. I am not so sure of what is going on but all I know is that I have a National Diploma from the former Polytechnic, Calabar and HND from IMT, Enugu. After spending 5 years in total to obtain the qualifications, I am still not considered a graduate. According to World Education Services assessment, my HND is classified in Canada as a 3 year college diploma and post graduate certificate. Although I have not had the chance to read all the postings, I just want to ask a quick question; are we saying that my current HND will now be converted to a degree or I should go to hell with my current HND?

I know there has been some discrimination against HND holders in Nigeria but I think it is how the system operates that has given rise to this. Here in Canada, there are community colleges (polytechnic) that offer degree programs. HND should be converted to Degrees (What’s in a name) I personally do not see why it has taken so long to have this done. My point here is, awarding degrees is not the function reserved for only universities, polytechnics and colleges can too. The names of these schools can remain but the qualifications awarded can change.

Eeeem, what will happen to ND holders? Maybe I will think of what can happen to them and say that probably in my next posting.

Good job everybody!!!!
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by twinstaiye(m): 10:10am On Jan 31, 2007
With your HND, there is no more discrimination. The first thing the government did was to stop the discrimination, and to put pay to their decision, they also scrapped the polytechnics and immediately ask them to either affiliate with any existing university of their choice or better still, stand alone. What most of the polytechnics are trying to do now is merge themselves with their state universities or do it alone. But the federal government immediately granted a full fledged university status to two existing polytechnics i.e Kaduna polytechnic and I think Laspotech (I cant remember now).
So to your question, your HND is still valid and it can get you a job anywhere you chose to in Nigeria. As for those having the ND, giovernment still allowed the courses for ND, as a medium level courses to fill in the vancay as middle level staff.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 5:59pm On Jan 31, 2007
jocelyn:

My point here is, awarding degrees is not the function reserved for only universities; polytechnics and colleges can too. The names of these schools can remain but the qualifications awarded can change.

In Nigeria Degree is synonymous with university. That has been my point of arguement. why can't FG make polytechnics and colleges of technology in nigeria to award Degrees?? Yaba Tech and Kadpoly should have been allowed to still remain as polytechnics but empowered to award Bachelor Degrees, Masters and higher Degrees.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 10:56am On Feb 02, 2007
Source: Daily Graphic http://www.graphicghana.info/article.asp?artid=9174

Polytechnic Education
(11/22/2005)
The country’s polytechnics have been given approval by the government to run Bachelor of Technology programmes to enable holders of the Higher National Diploma to undertake higher academic pursuits more readily.

It has not been easy upgrading facilities at the polytechnics to get to the level where they will have the competence to award degrees,in addition to the diploma certificates.

The focus of polytechnic and university education is not the same and cannot be the same or similar.

Whereas the content of programmes at the polytechnic level has a preponderance of practical training,the university curriculum is informed more by theory.

Unfortunately,however,in our attempt to re-engineer polytechnic education and make it diffused regionally,we fell into the temptation of comparing and equating the HND to bachelor degrees,to the extent that when some HND holders secured jobs and they were placed lower than their colleagues with first degrees,it resulted in nationwide strikes by polytechnic students.

Indeed,the Ghana National Union of Polytechnic Students resolved that it would stop at nothing until HND holders were placed and paid the same level of remuneration as their first degree counterparts from the universities.

Matters were not helped by the fact that the tendency in this country is that we see the first degree of the university as superior to any certificate from the polytechnic,when the rest of the world fully acknowledges the worth of the polytechnic student when it comes to skill training and performance.

But whatever the problems and difficulties,approval has been given to the polytechnics to offer first degree programmes,with the possibility of offering higher degrees in due course,depending on the development of faculty.

However,if the internal structures of the polytechnics are not improved upon,their students could still be disadvantaged.

One of the major frustrations confronting polytechnic students is the undue delay in the release of their examination results.

Presently,results of the final examinations of the universities are released before the students undergo national service.

Thus students who passed out of the universities in the last academic year have got to know their results and those who needed to resit in some subjects have done so.

On the other hand,the polytechnic students who have completed their national service are yet to know whether they were successful in their examinations or otherwise.

Therefore,if university and polytechnic students who completed their courses in the 2003/2004 academic year were to go into the job market,there is no way that polytechnic students whose results are not known could compete favourably with their university colleagues whose results have been published.

It is our hope that the polytechnics would look at ways to improve upon their efficiency in the management of examinations and release of results,such that the “underprivileged”polytechnic student would not be further disadvantaged in competing on the job market on the basis of time.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by emmigrant0(m): 8:36am On Feb 03, 2007
univy and uni now shear the same platforms and no mere discriminations from either side. the next thing we want to ask the government is this " the present statement of result Bearing the former names polytechnics will they be revalidated of should the holders of such continue to use it that way?" the Government need to clarify this aspect because though others will graduate holding Btech but what will happen to those with the former title?
Many thanks.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 12:46pm On Feb 03, 2007
we aare all asking the same quetion. but the answer will come up soon.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by jocelyn1: 6:26am On Feb 07, 2007
Is there any one out there that can help me with the telephone # for the former Polytechnic Calabar now Cross River State University of Technology? I have requested for my transcript by sending them a letter but no response till date and I need to talk to someone. The number I have on the testimonial given to me about 12 years back doesn't seem to work any more and I am continents away from Calabar. The yeye website wey dem get no kuku get telefone number not to talk of email address to contact them. Bo, I no wan call them ewu or ebot.

I would really appreciate it if any one of you could help me with the number.

Son son in advance according to Efik man! See me yee omo delta trying to communicate in Efik language!
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 4:52pm On Mar 16, 2007
Finally the End of Polytechnic is here.

May the soul of HND courses in NIgeria never rest may it hunt those that discrimate against it.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 4:54pm On Mar 16, 2007
By april I shall tell u all what you want to know from former polytechnic calabar.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by gbeborun(m): 11:59pm On Mar 16, 2007
scrapping HND and renaming polytechnics is just reinventing the wheel. Even now somw banks dont employ grads from state universities, i think this btech stuff is gonna face the same problem
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 9:32am On Mar 19, 2007
At least something was done. Allow this to work first before criticizing it
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 9:27am On Jun 12, 2007
The Federal Government has suspended the scrapping of higher national diploma programme in Nigerian polytechnics.

The National Publicity Secretary of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Mr. Victor Dawurung, told our correspondent in Jos on Monday that the decision to suspend the cancellation of the programme was received by the union from the Federal Ministry of Education last week.

He said the decision was conveyed to the National Board for Technical Education through a letter with reference number DHE/POLY/53/CI/V.II/266 and signed by the acting Director, Tertiary Education, Dr. Jamila Shu‘ara, on behalf of the former Minister of Education, Dr. Sayyadi Abba Ruma.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by RuuDie(m): 11:51am On Jun 12, 2007
Okay, where does all these BULLS@@T leave HND holders like moi !? graduated from Yabatech but gist from there is that its only the current set of students that'll be awarded B.Tech ! that leaves us out in the cold with our antique[b]HND kpali[/b] that has been scrapped & not in circulation no mo' like old currency --- shey we go start from yr1 again ?
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 11:56am On Jun 12, 2007
The degree holders said it is their birth right to have HND as slaves. Lead you more as a savant to degree holder or better run back to school. Ok.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 4:23pm On Jun 12, 2007
Any one they like let them do after all they are the once that announced that it has been scrapped, now they don't want it scrapped again. What i know is that Nigeria can never develop without polytechnics.
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 9:10am On Jun 19, 2007
@ishmael

Please tell your friends to run away from HND o
Re: The End Of Polytechnic In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 1:54pm On Jun 19, 2007
Hnd-holder:

@ishmael

Please tell your friends to run away from HND o

i dey tell dem o; only say some of dem no dey gree listen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Disinfection Of Schools Begins On July 7 - Muhammad Mahmood, Minister / See This Creative And Mind Blowing Alliterations / 24 Pictures Only People Who Attended Nigerian Law School Will Relate To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.