Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections (5665 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by muyeskin(m): 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2009
Hello Fellow Nairalanders,

Will just like to know the views of my fellow people about the said ASUU strike. Is the government actually doing anything about it.

Anyway, we hope everything comes under control so students can return back to school.

I remain for the people.

Oxygen
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by chibuzineo(m): 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2009
yea my veiw is just dat we should pray hard so that god can touch the mind of fg to see to the issues so dey can call it off this august so we can go back to school but the most pinfull thing of all was dat i spoke to a friend of mine about the strike issuse i was saying that only god can help intervein in the matter but his response got me shocking he said he really enjoys the strike dat the strike should even go on till the year runs out dont nknow how someone on earh could taught of dat the funniest of all was dat he is not the 1,2,3,4,5 person telling me dis he is de 6 person so my fellow nairalanders i hope we are not thinking in the same direction as dat tax all and to all the great UNN students love u all MICHEAL
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Segunright: 4:23pm On Aug 04, 2009
[color=#006600][/color]

Hun-hun when is green-white-green going to be set free from strikes? not only ASUU strike that frequently happen in green-white-green but,at hand is the major strike that yet to be resolve within the cabinet.
If our government does not know the meaning of word "STRIKE", I hereby seek the permission of fellow Nigerians to tell FG,that strike simply means; "SERIOUSLY TAKING OUR RESOURCES INTO KILLING EXERCISES of non traceable ECONOMY." Crying and loud government let there be a stop to strikes in our great,blessed NATION with useful resources.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by obams(f): 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2009
this ASUU strike is really drawing us backwards whatz the meaning of all this strike everyday abeg fg should just comply with ASUU for this their stuff let them call off the strike afterall none of their kids are involved in the strike so they are just like two elephants fighting and the grass is suffering abeg we need to really pray for nigeria.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by tokunegiye(m): 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2009
i sometimes do wonder if this country and leaders of ours knows the meaning and importants of education, for if they do they will not in any way allow the student of nigeria to at home for so long without a resolution, several times i ask myself if they did go to school at any point in time of their lifes. I pray that the almighty God do help us in this country called Nigeria.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 05, 2009
ASUU should simply continue the strike! Bastards.

As for FG I just don't blame them but i know once the curse on Nigeria is lifted then we shall cryout for victory and jubilate our happiness.

As for Nigerianss. . . ~ go trace ASUU's footprints and legacies on the board and get a view.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by ayobase(m): 1:31pm On Aug 05, 2009
students just remain the scape goats
used in getting to the government!
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by dejiavo2(m): 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2009
Hun-hun when is green-white-green going to be set free from strikes? not only ASUU strike that frequently happen in green-white-green but,at hand is the major strike that yet to be resolve within the cabinet.
If our government does not know the meaning of word "STRIKE", I hereby seek the permission of fellow Nigerians to tell FG,that strike simply means; "SERIOUSLY TAKING OUR RESOURCES INTO KILLING EXERCISES of non traceable ECONOMY." Crying and loud government let there be a stop to strikes in our great,blessed NATION with useful resources.

this ASUU strike is really drawing us backwards whatz the meaning of all this strike everyday abeg fg should just comply with ASUU for this their stuff let them call off the strike afterall none of their kids are involved in the strike so they are just like two elephants fighting and the grass is suffering abeg we need to really pray for nigeria.

Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by olapojuo: 1:44pm On Aug 05, 2009
cry Am crying for d Nigeria leader.they re just disgrassing them self.first ghana is bold enough to tell us it will supply us electricity now d same ghana and kenya re proven to ve the best high institution in africa.what is the professor,lectural,govern concil and d vegetable[yaradua] think they re doind
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by ak21(m): 1:54pm On Aug 05, 2009
it is a pity, that a pity cannot pity what a pity can pity in a pity condition!
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by dahcom: 2:18pm On Aug 05, 2009
lets be factual, our leaders conscience is dead in this country. how can we imagine our lavish Education Minister SAMU spent so much partying round the place. until we get things right then we move forward.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Nonnyl(m): 2:36pm On Aug 05, 2009
Hey! great unn post jambites, there's a meeting of the SSANU unn branch pleading with NUC to allow them to coduct their exams but the meeting was adjurned till 10th, Aug. So 4 more info call 0803-898-6291 or tuk2malachy@yahoo.com. Luv u all from my heart. Kissssss
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Borat1: 2:46pm On Aug 05, 2009
Education in nigeria is a SHAM!!!!!
its worthless tongue
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by dejiavo2(m): 2:54pm On Aug 05, 2009
{Court Adjourns ASUU and Federal Government Re-negotiation } The Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Prof. Julius Okojie, while briefing the Minister of Education, Dr Sam Egwu , yesterday, along with the Chairmen of the Federal Government's negotiating teams with the academic staff unions of universities, polytechnics and colleges of education disclosed that re-negotiation between the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the Federal Government was adjourned to Thursday morning.

The Chairman of ASUU/FG re-negotiating team, Deacon Gamaliel Onosode, in his opinion said the most important single issue that had bothered (ASUU) was what they thought was Federal Government's repudiation of the principle of collective bargaining.

"We had, I think, successfully explained that government did not repudiate the principle or the process of collective bargaining, but rather, its position, which, admittedly, was stated outside the negotiation, was that the collective bargaining should be continued and concluded at a different level, the individual university level. That is the employer- employee level. The employers of ASUU are strictly the council.“They did not find this amusing. Because, they feel, if government thought it should be concluded at a different level, it should have started at that level.

In the mean time, the law under which federal universities operate has since been reviewed, reference to the miscellaneous provisions amendment act of 2003, which was gazette in 2007.

"At the time the negotiation re-started, university councils did not have the kind of autonomy they now enjoy under the law. In law, the employers of academic and non academic staff are university council. That was the reason why the Federal Government said the negotiation which started in December 2006 should be concluded at the university level.

"We have set up a committee made up of representatives from both sides, to look into the provisional draft agreement to see what adjustments need to be made to make it acceptable to the federal government. We have adjourned till Thursday morning in the hope that between now and today, we might have some development along those lines”, Onosode concluded.

ASUU President, Prof. Ukachukwu Awuzie, as the chairman of the negotiation, says "The discussions are not for daily reporting in the papers. All that we want is a quick resolution of the matter so that children can go back to school".
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by dejiavo2(m): 2:58pm On Aug 05, 2009
{Court Adjourns ASUU and Federal Government Re-negotiation } The Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Prof. Julius Okojie, while briefing the Minister of Education, Dr Sam Egwu , yesterday, along with the Chairmen of the Federal Government's negotiating teams with the academic staff unions of universities, polytechnics and colleges of education disclosed that re-negotiation between the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the Federal Government was adjourned to Thursday morning.

The Chairman of ASUU/FG re-negotiating team, Deacon Gamaliel Onosode, in his opinion said the most important single issue that had bothered (ASUU) was what they thought was Federal Government's repudiation of the principle of collective bargaining.

"We had, I think, successfully explained that government did not repudiate the principle or the process of collective bargaining, but rather, its position, which, admittedly, was stated outside the negotiation, was that the collective bargaining should be continued and concluded at a different level, the individual university level. That is the employer- employee level. The employers of ASUU are strictly the council.“They did not find this amusing. Because, they feel, if government thought it should be concluded at a different level, it should have started at that level.

In the mean time, the law under which federal universities operate has since been reviewed, reference to the miscellaneous provisions amendment act of 2003, which was gazette in 2007.

"At the time the negotiation re-started, university councils did not have the kind of autonomy they now enjoy under the law. In law, the employers of academic and non academic staff are university council. That was the reason why the Federal Government said the negotiation which started in December 2006 should be concluded at the university level.

"We have set up a committee made up of representatives from both sides, to look into the provisional draft agreement to see what adjustments need to be made to make it acceptable to the federal government. We have adjourned till Thursday morning in the hope that between now and today, we might have some development along those lines”, Onosode concluded.

ASUU President, Prof. Ukachukwu Awuzie, as the chairman of the negotiation, says "The discussions are not for daily reporting in the papers. All that we want is a quick resolution of the matter so that children can go back to school".

Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 05, 2009
Both Parties are too blame.
Yes, the government has neglected the education sector.
The lecturers on the other hand are also a bunch of greedy money hustlers. All they care about is how low their salaries are. Teachers are lowly paid all over the world.
Maybe if the Professors focused more on Research and not how many homes their students are buying, corporations would start funding them.
Just a thought.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Witi(m): 3:23pm On Aug 05, 2009
brein:

ASUU should simply continue the strike! Bastards.
What do you mean by bastards? are u referring to ASUU? if YES then please withdraw it. If you are in the system you will know what we are passing through. Am telling u that the salary of a graduate assistant is 72,000, assistant lecturer is 82,000, lecturer I is 91,000, no lecturer in university A professor is earning around 260,000 after spending at least 15 years in the system Passing thru Master's, PhD degree's then with at least 30 research publications all funded by himself which is not suppose to be so. You see ASUU's agitation is modest the 109% salary increase is just 50% of the average of what lecturers are being paid in South Africa, Egypt, Tunisia, Kenya, Ghana. Zimbabwe and Sudan are distressed presently yet they still pay their lecturers well, Zimbabwe pay University Professors 5,000 dollars monthly. There is no equipment in our laboratory. I still analyses my soil samples in ABU Zaria laboratory for soil organic matter following Walkey and Black Method 1934. How do I want to get result from such research published in international journal? when there are other improve methods that require equipments that are not in any University in Nigeria. Students receive lecturers on standing, libraries are not well equipped in our Universities the entire system is down rotten. How many University in Nigeria is having a functional and active e-library? some unscrupulous lecturers took advantage of the situation to exploit students in the name of handout and so on this is a minor case that can be corrected if the FG carry out there responsibility by funding our education sector accordingly. ASUU should continue the strike until they are attended to.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 05, 2009
A-town:

Both Parties are too blame.
Yes, the government has neglected the education sector.
The lecturers on the other hand are also a bunch of greedy money hustlers. All they care about is how low their salaries are. Teachers are lowly paid all over the world.
Maybe if the Professors focused more on Research and not how many homes their students are buying, corporations would start funding them.
Just a thought.

They would only be funded if they were ready to work hard and innovatively in relevant research projects
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Kratos007(m): 3:40pm On Aug 05, 2009
The main issue here is for both parties(ASUU & fg) to come to a suitable compromise so that students can return to school. That ASUU has a valid case is undebatable, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses & run.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by otukpo(f): 3:42pm On Aug 05, 2009
If wishes were horses, my first will be that Sam Egwu's house shld be bombed with him and his entire family inside!
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Witi(m): 3:45pm On Aug 05, 2009
@A-Town: the situation would have been better if our corporations in Nigeria have the attitude as somebody in the system 90% of the research conducted by me were funded by self. Some I went as far as going for bank loan because without research no promotion for me. In my field soil science (Pedology) routine soil analysis costs between 4,000-7,000 per soil sample to carry out a publishable research I can't go to the laboratory with 12 samples. Am expected to attend conference which is suppose to be funded by the University the last one I attended in March this year have not been paid up-till I spent my salary for that month to attend the conference and have to borrow to survive the rest of the month. FG are not responsible and thank ASUU is up to it to stand up and resist the irresponsible attitude of FG towards education.
tensor777:

They would only be funded if they would be ready to work hard and innovative in relevant research projects
Yes they are ready to work and are very innovative. Nigerian researcher that are opportune to exhibit there innovations internationally have prove these facts on several occasions. Go to and check international journals in your field and you will see what Nigerian researchers are doing despite the very poor infrastructure.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by blackchief(m): 3:47pm On Aug 05, 2009
ASUU have outlive it use. let govt. reduce the number of university to 6  and privates the remaining.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 05, 2009
Witi:

What do you mean by bastards? are u referring to ASUU? if YES then please withdraw it. If you are in the system you will know what we are passing through. Am telling u that the salary of a graduate assistant is 72,000, assistant lecturer is 82,000, lecturer I is 91,000, no lecturer in university A professor is earning around 260,000 after spending at least 15 years in the system Passing thru Master's, PhD degree's then with at least 30 research publications all funded by himself which is not suppose to be so. You see ASUU's agitation is modest the 109% salary increase is just 50% of the average of what lecturers are being paid in South Africa, Egypt, Tunisia, Kenya, Ghana. Zimbabwe and Sudan are distressed presently yet they still pay their lecturers well, Zimbabwe pay University Professors 5,000 dollars monthly. There is no equipment in our laboratory. I still analyses my soil samples in ABU Zaria laboratory for soil organic matter following Walkey and Black Method 1934. How do I want to get result from such research published in international journal? when there are other improve methods that require equipments that are not in any University in Nigeria. Students receive lecturers on standing, libraries are not well equipped in our Universities the entire system is down rotten. How many University in Nigeria is having a functional and active e-library? some unscrupulous lecturers took advantage of the situation to exploit students in the name of handout and so on this is a minor case that can be corrected if the FG carry out there responsibility by funding our education sector accordingly. ASUU should continue the strike until they are attended to.

You are actually debunking your own argument. What is the sense in pouring more money into a rotten system?

Surely you must see that the whole system needs a radical overhaul. We are talking about complete autonomy with regards to the recurrent budget of public universities. This should lead to better accountability and improved quality-control as far as lecturing and  administration are concerned.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by blackchief(m): 4:05pm On Aug 05, 2009
otukpo (the land i love),

The issue here is not about Sam, the man is just carrying out his job. Even if you remove him today and deployed another person, the problem will remain.

it us learn to deal with the problem and not the personality in the office
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Phemour: 4:08pm On Aug 05, 2009
The Strike is really holding me done cry cry
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by otokx(m): 5:10pm On Aug 05, 2009
Government is just talking nonsense; they are trying to say that a professor in UNILAG and a professor in SOKOTO should not earn the same thing. That in fact two people who became professors on the same day in the same dept in UNILAG should not earn the same thing. They started with Federal and State dichotomy. If they are really sincere then such institutions as NUC and JAMB should be scrapped. With this kind of posture from government then this strike is just starting.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by jaho: 5:57pm On Aug 05, 2009
That the strike action embark upon by ASUU is still on is a great embarrassment to this country, mostly when viewed from the fact that the government actually reached an agreement with ASUU on to fail in implementing same.

In my opinion, ASUU should continue with the strike until the government yield to its demand. How can government take people of ASUU's calibre for granted. Come to think of it, how can government constitute a committee with the likes of Gamaliel Onosede as head and the same government will take a u-turn when it comes to its implementation. In fact government should be thought a lesson even if only for once.

I strongly support ASUU argument that a professor should receive the same salary with a senator.

www.internetbusinessdon..com
www.natureherbalcure..com
www.adogbejijaho..com
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Nezan(m): 6:03pm On Aug 05, 2009
This government is very slow at everything.
ASUU are always demanding for more pay.
Nigerians are a problem to themselves.
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2009
From Witi

please withdraw it. If you are in the system you will know what we are passing through. Am telling u that the salary of a graduate assistant is 72,000, assistant lecturer is 82,000, lecturer I is 91,000, no lecturer in university A professor is earning around 260,000 after spending at least 15 years in the system Passing thru Master's, PhD degree's then with at least 30 research publications all funded by himself which is not suppose to be so. You see ASUU's agitation is modest the 109% salary increase is just 50% of the average of what lecturers are being paid in South Africa, Egypt, Tunisia, Kenya, Ghana. Zimbabwe and Sudan are distressed presently yet they still pay their lecturers well, Zimbabwe pay University Professors 5,000 dollars monthly. There is no equipment in our laboratory. I still analyses my soil samples in ABU Zaria laboratory for soil organic matter following Walkey and Black Method 1934. How do I want to get result from such research published in international journal? when there are other improve methods that require equipments that are not in any University in Nigeria. Students receive lecturers on standing, libraries are not well equipped in our Universities the entire system is down rotten. How many University in Nigeria is having a functional and active e-library? some unscrupulous lecturers took advantage of the situation to exploit students in the name of handout and so on this is a minor case that can be corrected if the FG carry out there responsibility by funding our education sector accordingly. ASUU should continue the strike until they are attended to.

Why on earth should i withdraw what?

You'd better look in the books of recent development with ASUU and the FG and judge for yourself. Isnt the increment compensation policy enough?
Much has been rolled into the yearly pocket funding system and yet they want more. . . damn.

In what kinda system of education in nigeria. tell me, which way ?|
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by phemygee(m): 6:33pm On Aug 05, 2009
Well, i support ASUU partial coz Federal Government can do better. Nigerian Lecturers are the least paid in Africa. Imagine a legislator's newspaper allowance is around (N350, 000). What are these people doing over there is not. PA and other hierachy official does most of their work and their own is just to say nei nei when they get to assembly, A senator earning annual will pay for the whole professors in Nigeria Universities and will still have enough cash in his pocket. This money belongs us, let them splash dis money on us. We are the leaders of tomorrow,
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by wakagirl: 7:27pm On Aug 05, 2009
If anyone is thinking that things will get better in this country the person better sleep and have a deep thought. Tell me of even a local govt councellor whose child is in govt school in Nigeria, go figure cry
Re: ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections by Ezenwenyi(m): 7:47pm On Aug 05, 2009
ASUU Is An Obstacle To Nigeria Education

Indeed i think ASUU is just an obstacle to the development of education in Nigeria,though i know they are fighting for their rights but i still think they are doing it in a very wrong way because it is affecting the students.Imagine if a five years course turns to be a six years course,i don't want to go into stating the negative effects ASUU have caused the GREAT NIGERIAN STUDENTS because it might not even end.In conclusion ASUU should find an alternative to STRIKE.

That was exactly what i said in a topic i called : ASUU is an obstable to Nigeria education.Please feel free to go to the link below for your vote;
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=296509
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=297054

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free Ebook On How To Pass Jamb/gce/waec/neco At First Attempt / Futminna Post Ume Date Is Out / OMG See The Best Selfie In The History Of Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.