Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,533 members, 7,954,996 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:01 PM

Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? (18731 Views)

Guy Knocked Out By Lamborghini Owner After Jumping On His £320k Supercar For Fun / Toyota Engine 1zz / Cost Of A Tokunbo Toyota Corolla Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 6:40am On Apr 15, 2016
Nairalanders, my toyota corolla burnt its top gasket as I was traveling. When the mechanic opened the engine, it was discovered that the rim of the block is broken off which means I have to buy a new engine. I went to Zuba and Apo parts markets in Abuja only to find 1 4zz engine that looks very dirty(very scarce because it's Europe according to them). Most of the salers advice I buy either 1zz or 3zz which are similar to 4zz that came with the car. Note: 4zz is 1.4, 3zz is 1.6 while 1zz is 1.8. I don't know if the performance would be affected if I change to 1zz or 3zz. Thanks as you help out with advice.

1 Like

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by ironheart(m): 6:58am On Apr 15, 2016
The only performance that will be affected will b fuel consumption. The 1zz n 3zz will perform better than your 4zz. But not that it comes with higher fuel consumption. Make sure u buy the ECU that comes with the engine or you take yours for mapping. Our mechanics can be funny. After the engine change without the right ECU, you will encounter issues that may frustrate you to sell your car

5 Likes

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 7:29am On Apr 15, 2016
Thanks a lot Ironheart. Pls interpret ECU to a laymans understanding so the mechanic or parts seller will understand. Whats the popular common name in the market? Thanks.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:49am On Apr 15, 2016
ironheart:
The only performance that will be affected will b fuel consumption. The 1zz n 3zz will perform better than your 4zz. But not that it comes with higher fuel consumption. Make sure u buy the ECU that comes with the engine or you take yours for mapping. Our mechanics can be funny. After the engine change without the right ECU, you will encounter issues that may frustrate you to sell your car

it would be cheaper if he just got the 4zz engine. It is very available. RE-mapping would be good, but it would cost him an arm and a leg in lagos. It would be cheaper to buy another engine ecu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 9:10am On Apr 15, 2016
Oga gazzuz, im thinking of changing to a bigger engine if it wont affect the performance of the car. Before the car developed engine problem, it was shorting oil and of course I had ringed before. So I want a better engine. But if there's no alternative, then how much last price will it cost to buy the 4zz and send to Abuja. Thanks.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by ironheart(m): 2:01pm On Apr 15, 2016
kingi777:
Thanks a lot Ironheart. Pls interpret ECU to a laymans understanding so the mechanic or parts seller will understand. Whats the popular common name in the market? Thanks.
the general name here in nigeria is Brain box. but its called Engine Control Unit or Electronic Control Unit
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:32pm On Apr 15, 2016
kingi777:
Oga gazzuz, im thinking of changing to a bigger engine if it wont affect the performance of the car. Before the car developed engine problem, it was shorting oil and of course I had ringed before. So I want a better engine. But if there's no alternative, then how much last price will it cost to buy the 4zz and send to Abuja . Thanks.

wink
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 1:00pm On Apr 16, 2016
Car gurus, Sienna , ikenna, I need your contribution please.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 12:34pm On Apr 17, 2016
Thank you once again Iron heart and Gazzuzz, God bless you for your contribution. I will maintain the 4zz which came with the car to avoid headaches associated with engine swap.

1 Like

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:19pm On Apr 17, 2016
kingi777:
Thank you once again Iron heart and Gazzuzz, God bless you for your contribution. I will maintain the 4zz which came with the car to avoid headaches associated with engine swap.

you will fix the old one?
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 4:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
I will buy new 4zz engine. Thanks.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by bmwparts: 5:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
4zz engine , 175k, complete engine with coil, alternator, injector system with nuzzle.

skeleton direct tokunbo: 140k,

BB Pin 2B07C900 or call 09053619870
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 7:20pm On Apr 17, 2016
Where? Lagos or Abuja bro?
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by bmwparts: 8:20pm On Apr 17, 2016
kingi777:
Where? Lagos or Abuja bro?

Lagos sir!!!
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 9:19pm On Apr 19, 2016
I bought 4zz engine but after fixing it into the car, it was giving us a knocking sound. The saler has agreed to changing it for us. I pray I get a good engine, thinking of 1zz engine.

1 Like

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:09am On Apr 20, 2016
kingi777:
I bought 4zz engine but after fixing it into the car, it was giving us a knocking sound. The saler has agreed to changing it for us. I pray I get a good engine, thinking of 1zz engine.

sad. Iv been in your shoes. I no longer buy engines from retailers, unless unavailable. I buy from warehouse complete as it came off from the stripped vehicle. With the harness,transmission, and sometimes engine ecu still attached. It's more expensive, but you can select from over 50diff engines and pic the sharpest one.

4 Likes

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 7:26am On Apr 20, 2016
Oga Gazzuz thanks for your concern. A friend suggested I transfer my camshaft to the new engine I bought if there's no any better one to replace it. Note the rim of my engine block melted that's why it's irreparable. The picture is attached. Don't know if it will work?

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:30am On Apr 20, 2016
kingi777:
Oga Gazzuz thanks for your concern. A friend suggested I transfer my camshaft to the new engine I bought if there's no any better one to replace it. Note the rim of my engine block melted that's why it's irreparable. The picture is attached. Don't know if it will work?

don't go around in circles. Get a sound engine. I know somone with same type of car that has never fixed anything for 10years!!! Just oil changes

1 Like

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 8:19am On Apr 20, 2016
Thanks Gazzuz. Will persuade them to change the engine for me. If no 4zz then 1zz would be a better alternative.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by diportivo: 8:54am On Apr 20, 2016
Unfortunately, u av no choice but to now start going in circles

I rem that gazzuzz was interested in trying to be of help in procuring this engine for u at the beginning of this thread.....he highlighted a part of ur words.maybe u didnt decode well

U av also been advised to do 4zz...why are u still saying 1zz will be a beta alternative?....bros,be wise

Out of curiosity,did u go buy the engine urself?or u went with a mechanic
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by bmwparts: 9:30am On Apr 20, 2016
4zz engine , 175k, complete engine
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:50am On Apr 20, 2016
Now here's the next issue you will have, the 4zz-fe you have there and the 1zz are similar physically but have different bore sizes and pistons. Another technical part that is different is the timing rotor which is on the crankshaft. You will have to remove yours and install on the new engine you are buying if 1zz-fe. Doing that your self will void warranty and return by the seller, so it's better to tell the seller to do it for you. Without swaping the timing rotors engine will not start.

1 Like

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 3:46am On Apr 21, 2016
Finally the seller gave me 2 alternatives: to change the crankshaft of the 4zz he earlier gave me that was producing knocking sound or to swap with 1zz. Refund of money is ruled out. I chose the latter but after mounting, the car refuses to start. I told them about all the advice I got here but the mechanic said I shouldn't bother. Meanwhile, the electrician worked until it was dark. So work will resume this morning. I pray it finally supplies current to start the engine today.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 6:43am On Apr 21, 2016
Moreover, when I did the VIN check of the 1zz he gave me, I discovered it was made in 2002 and has covered 212720 millage. Higher than my defective engine(168204) millage. From my research most of the zz engines expires at 120000 millage thus guzzle oil easily except those made from 2005.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:36am On Apr 21, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
Now here's the next issue you will have, the 4zz-fe you have there and the 1zz are similar physically but have different bore sizes and pistons. Another technical part that is different is the timing rotor which is on the crankshaft. You will have to remove yours and install on the new engine you are buying if 1zz-fe. Doing that your self will void warranty and return by the seller, so it's better to tell the seller to do it for you. Without swaping the timing rotors engine will not start.

tell that electrician to leave your car alone. He will damage your engine ecu. Show your mechanic the pics I uploaded, and tell them to swap that part off your old engine(i hope they. Know where they kept it)

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 8:02am On Apr 21, 2016
Ok Mr Gazzuz, I will show him as soon as we meet this morning but I think he changed it(timing rotor) yesterday because I told him after reading your comment.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:08am On Apr 21, 2016
kingi777:
Ok Mr Gazzuz, I will show him as soon as we meet this morning but[b] I think he changed it(timing rotor) yesterday[/b] because I told him after reading your comment.

it can be installed in the wrong direction. If wrong car will not start.

2 Likes

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 12:31am On Apr 23, 2016
Car finally started with good sound after electrical work. After test driving, I covered 120 miles back to my destination. After washing the car thoroughly at a car wash and heading home, I noticed the drivers window glass doesn't wind up, the passenger side would wind up and down any time I fire. Moreover, I changed the radiator(double cell), the temp. gauge was almost at half mark. I don't know if its normal? Not overheating though. Thanks.
Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 1:52pm On Apr 23, 2016
Travelled to Kaduna from Abuja, car performing wonderfully well and better than the previous 4zz engine with same fuel economy. Enjoying the power and torque. All the electrical issues have been resolved after the car washer splashed water into some sensitive places. To God be all the glory.

6 Likes

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by kingi777: 6:32am On May 07, 2016
The engine I bought about 2 weeks ago has been a torn on my flesh. It runs fine o but swallowing oil any how like the previous engine I changed. I was managing it until the car stopped me on the road after I noticed it was making noise. Mechanic confirmed it was chain issue but that I could manage it until I decide to get it fixed. Now the car got a lot of things damaged when the engine was opened. The engine itself was ringed but not properly fixed the reason for oil shortage. The two times I changed oil, after 2 days, oil became so dark. Note I spent more than #200000 changing the car engine. 2 days ago, I gave #30,500 for parts including rings. Yesterday the chain roller was shown to me that has to be changed because of crack. Hopefully after grinding the top today, the car can be kick started.
Lesson: Since ZZ corolla engines below 2005 models have oil shortage issues after 120000 millage, be careful unless you want to change rings. Before buying engines, make sure you verify because most of the sellers are terrible without the fear of God. Immediately money enters their hands, story changes. Before you buy a car, google it so that you get basic information about it from previous users. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:26am On May 07, 2016
kingi777:
The engine I bought about 2 weeks ago has been a torn on my flesh. It runs fine o but swallowing oil any how like the previous engine I changed. I was managing it until the car stopped me on the road after I noticed it was making noise. Mechanic confirmed it was chain issue but that I could manage it until I decide to get it fixed. Now the car got a lot of things damaged when the engine was opened. The engine itself was ringed but not properly fixed the reason for oil shortage. The two times I changed oil, after 2 days, oil became so dark. Note I spent more than #200000 changing the car engine. 2 days ago, I gave #30,500 for parts including rings. Yesterday the chain roller was shown to me that has to be changed because of crack. Hopefully after grinding the top today, the car can be kick started.
Lesson: Since ZZ corolla engines below 2005 models have oil shortage issues after 120000 millage, be careful unless you want to change rings. Before buying engines, make sure you verify because most of the sellers are terrible without the fear of God. Immediately money enters their hands, story changes. Before you buy a car, google it so that you get basic information about it from previous users. Thanks.

there is nothing wrong with 1zz-engines, if properly take care of, they will go over 200k without shorting oil. I have replaced over 7without any issues including the 4zz spec. Problem was you bought a bad engine. You are still throwing money away trying to fix it. Get a sharp toks and you will enjoy that vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Knocked 4zz, Can I Change To 1zz Or 3zz Corolla Engine? by leorayvon2k2: 11:16am On May 08, 2016
bmwparts:
4zz engine , 175k, complete engine with coil, alternator, injector system with nuzzle.

skeleton direct tokunbo: 140k,

BB Pin 2B07C900 or call 09053619870

How much for a Toyota corolla 2007 1.8 L 1zz engine

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / Computerised Vehincle Inspection Center Takes Off In Ondo / Mercedes-Benz Is Phasing Out V-6 Engines In Favor Of Inline-6s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.