Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails (9438 Views)

10 Best Tips To Write Effective Emails / Easy & Simple Steps To Monetize Your Blog And Make Money Guaranteed / 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by KoboUP(m): 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2016
It is a matter of both email etiquette and best practices.

Here are five key ways to improve your email etiquette, get your emails read, and spark action.

1. Keep it short.
I believe it was Mark Twain (correction: Blaise Pascal!) who said, "If I'd had more time, I would have written you a shorter email." Regardless, keep your word count low. Just as you keep your tweets under 140 characters, keep your best emails under 150 words. (For comparison's sake, this column runs about 700 words.)
Here's a master example. If you ever have a complaint about Amazon, you're welcome to email Jeff Bezos directly, at jeff@amazon.com. If he in turn thinks it merits a response, he'll forward it to relevant employees with a single addition--a question mark--which according to author Brad Stone, prompts recipients to "react as though they've discovered a ticking bomb."

2. Be direct.
Get to the point. Delete adjectives and adverbs. It's very unnecessary to add many additional words that make your most important emails seem overly lengthy. (See what I mean?) Otherwise, you risk "tl;dr."
If you can't follow rule No. 1 and keep your emails short, at least include a brief summary at the top, and indicate whatever action is required. (In the Army, we called this a "BLUF" statement--bottom line, upfront.

3. Reply quickly.
Last year, Snapchat CEO Even Spiegel tweeted some of the first emails he'd traded with Mark Zuckerberg before turning down a reported $3 billion takeover offer. Most interesting from these is how short and fast these introductory messages were.
Zuckerberg's first 46-word email came at 6:23 p.m.; Spiegel replied a half hour later with 19 words (plus an emoticon). Zuckerberg replied again with 14 words just three hours later. Even though the deal didn't come together in the end, there's a clear lesson: When something is important, reply fast.

4. Reread before sending. And do it twice.
Speaking of emails that weren't supposed to be public, when Steve Jobs died, one of Samsung's top sales executives emailed fellow company leaders to suggest seizing the moment to attack the iPhone. Within a month, they pounced with commercials mocking people who waited in lines for new Apple products.

While it was a smart strategy, it looks a little skeevy now, which is probably why these emails are marked "Highly Confidential--Attorneys' Eyes Only." You can read them here. The lesson: Reread your emails before sending them--a task that is much easier, of course, if you've kept them short to begin with.

5. Add the address last.
You may have noticed that I have a very common name. (I'll wait here while you scroll up and look at the byline on this article.) A few years ago, I was negotiating to buy a company, it turned out that one of the top executives of the target company actually had the same name, with only a middle initial separating us. As a result, some of the people on their side of the deal kept cc'ing me by mistake on confidential emails in which they talked about their negotiating position. (I let them know, but it kept happening.)

The deal didn't work out, but it led me to learn an important lesson: Make darn sure that you double-check the addressees on any important email you send. Even better, don't address an email until you've finished reading and editing it. There's nothing like accidentally hitting the "send" button too early, and firing off your unfinished thoughts to an important business contact.

http://www.standontech.com/2016/04/5-simple-steps-to-writing-effective.html?m=1

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Ybnm4life(m): 6:20am On Apr 17, 2016
Happy sunday everyone.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by femyodsky(m): 6:21am On Apr 17, 2016
Nice write up
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Nobody: 6:22am On Apr 17, 2016
Ineteresting piece-
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by habefeh(m): 6:22am On Apr 17, 2016
I don hear u
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by ladyF(f): 6:24am On Apr 17, 2016
Interesting points to note.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by biggiyke(m): 6:26am On Apr 17, 2016
sad
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by segxes23(m): 6:40am On Apr 17, 2016
Just follow K. I. S.S. Keep it short and simple.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by femiman007(m): 6:42am On Apr 17, 2016
Nice
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by stano2(m): 6:43am On Apr 17, 2016
ok. HAPPY SUNDAY TO EVERY NAIRALANDER
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Silsilah: 6:48am On Apr 17, 2016
Using this stuff immediately, Op, make e work ooo! If not, I go come back with..... grin
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 17, 2016
good idea.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by inkon: 7:00am On Apr 17, 2016
Edifying.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Mucokey(m): 7:02am On Apr 17, 2016
Mark Zuckerberg wan buy everything cry... From WhatsApp to Snapchat ni

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by tolu4you: 7:05am On Apr 17, 2016
Nice one there
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by fammo: 7:23am On Apr 17, 2016
segxes23:
Just follow K. I. S.S. Keep it short and simple.
KISS Daniel
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by weezii(m): 7:28am On Apr 17, 2016
cheesy

5 Likes

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by latfun22(m): 7:29am On Apr 17, 2016
ladyF:
Interesting points to note.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
u no dey go church
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Nobody: 7:39am On Apr 17, 2016
Fantastic write up.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by beejaay: 7:52am On Apr 17, 2016
KoboUP:
It is a matter of both email etiquette and best practices.

Here are five key ways to improve your email etiquette, get your emails read, and spark action.

1. Keep it short.
I believe it was Mark Twain (correction: Blaise Pascal!) who said, "If I'd had more time, I would have written you a shorter email." Regardless, keep your word count low. Just as you keep your tweets under 140 characters, keep your best emails under 150 words. (For comparison's sake, this column runs about 700 words.)
Here's a master example. If you ever have a complaint about Amazon, you're welcome to email Jeff Bezos directly, at jeff@amazon.com. If he in turn thinks it merits a response, he'll forward it to relevant employees with a single addition--a question mark--which according to author Brad Stone, prompts recipients to "react as though they've discovered a ticking bomb."

2. Be direct.
Get to the point. Delete adjectives and adverbs. It's very unnecessary to add many additional words that make your most important emails seem overly lengthy. (See what I mean?) Otherwise, you risk "tl;dr."
If you can't follow rule No. 1 and keep your emails short, at least include a brief summary at the top, and indicate whatever action is required. (In the Army, we called this a "BLUF" statement--bottom line, upfront.

3. Reply quickly.
Last year, Snapchat CEO Even Spiegel tweeted some of the first emails he'd traded with Mark Zuckerberg before turning down a reported $3 billion takeover offer. Most interesting from these is how short and fast these introductory messages were.
Zuckerberg's first 46-word email came at 6:23 p.m.; Spiegel replied a half hour later with 19 words (plus an emoticon). Zuckerberg replied again with 14 words just three hours later. Even though the deal didn't come together in the end, there's a clear lesson: When something is important, reply fast.

4. Reread before sending. And do it twice.
Speaking of emails that weren't supposed to be public, when Steve Jobs died, one of Samsung's top sales executives emailed fellow company leaders to suggest seizing the moment to attack the iPhone. Within a month, they pounced with commercials mocking people who waited in lines for new Apple products.

While it was a smart strategy, it looks a little skeevy now, which is probably why these emails are marked "Highly Confidential--Attorneys' Eyes Only." You can read them here. The lesson: Reread your emails before sending them--a task that is much easier, of course, if you've kept them short to begin with.

5. Add the address last.
You may have noticed that I have a very common name. (I'll wait here while you scroll up and look at the byline on this article.) A few years ago, I was negotiating to buy a company, it turned out that one of the top executives of the target company actually had the same name, with only a middle initial separating us. As a result, some of the people on their side of the deal kept cc'ing me by mistake on confidential emails in which they talked about their negotiating position. (I let them know, but it kept happening.)

The deal didn't work out, but it led me to learn an important lesson: Make darn sure that you double-check the addressees on any important email you send. Even better, don't address an email until you've finished reading and editing it. There's nothing like accidentally hitting the "send" button too early, and firing off your unfinished thoughts to an important business contact.

http://www.standontech.com/2016/04/5-simple-steps-to-writing-effective.html?m=1
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Misterpaul(m): 8:58am On Apr 17, 2016
weezii:
cheesy
Lol..That one na Gobe.

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by bonna4u(m): 9:10am On Apr 17, 2016
Valid points by the op. I have fallen victim to the last point numerous times. Thanks for sharing.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 17, 2016
Nice piece. Thanks
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by slavemerchant: 12:37pm On Apr 17, 2016
latfun22:
u no dey go church

E tire me o, she's everywhere
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Djbaka(m): 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2016
slavemerchant:

E tire me o, she's everywhere

Na breeze?
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by Sijo01(f): 3:54pm On Apr 17, 2016
Nice one op.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by utioh(m): 4:45pm On Apr 17, 2016
This is so so true! Sensational tips! Thumps up @Op
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by silentachieverr(m): 5:57pm On Apr 17, 2016
I found a way of retracting(undoing sent mails) my mails before they fully get sent. It has saved my ass a couple of times.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by weezii(m): 10:26am On Apr 19, 2016
silentachieverr:
I found a way of retracting(undoing sent mails) my mails before they fully get sent. It has saved my ass a couple of times.
How'd you do that please
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by silentachieverr(m): 8:52am On Apr 20, 2016
weezii:

How'd you do that please

Go to settings (if you use gmail) under the GENERAL tab, you will see an option 'undo send'. Enable it and set your cancellation period in seconds.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by weezii(m): 4:46pm On Apr 20, 2016
silentachieverr:

Go to settings (if you use gmail) under the GENERAL tab, you will see an option 'undo send'. Enable it and set your cancellation period in seconds.
Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Writing Effective Emails by silentachieverr(m): 7:36am On Apr 21, 2016
weezii:

Thanks bro.

You're welcome

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Blogging / The Best Payment Processor In Nigeria? / The Technique Of Building Brands And Boosting Sales With KEYWORDS (Part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.