Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog (3729 Views)

How To Start Making Money From Youtube - Simple Steps / 5 Simple Tips To Become A Successful Blogger / Easy & Simple Steps To Monetize Your Blog And Make Money Guaranteed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Vickwinners: 6:30pm On Jul 05, 2017
I hate to talk about conspiracies… But then i believe blogging is one tool the world is really going to use to outrun the conspiracy of the traditional media who have consistently ignored and shut down the ordinary people and their voices.

Blogging is one huge innovation you and i should really be grateful about…

Because not only does the ordinary Joe now have an equal platform to have his voice heard around the world…

So many ‘John Does’ have found an opportunity to add value to others and still, a good number of people have also been empowered to make a living with the help of their blog.

It’s amazing isn’t it?

It really is. And I’m happy to say this again and again.

Indeed if you’re interested in blogging, you’re not in the wrong place at all. Because i feel that becoming a blogger is a very smart decision to make.

That said, in our last post in the Smart Blogging Tutorial, i told you about strategies that will help you in branding your blog in a way that will help you get it to the top in a short while.

Today we’ll be talking about how to choose a domain name for your blog.

Choosing the right domain name is one thing that can make or mar your blog.

Me for instance, i had to let go a blog i laboured for one full year after i realized that the domain name i chose was not realistic.

You really don't have to make this same mistake that's why i'm coming up with this post.

Like i mentioned earlier, your domain name is the name you’ll call your blog. It is what people will type into the internet to search for your blog.

So the domain name for this forum for instance is nairaland.com.

Yours could be anything perhaps; yourname.com but make sure it is something that captures the intent of the blog and is remarkable.

1. Never use your name as the domain name of a site if you intend to sell off the blog in the future.

2. Be sure your domain name is both short, memorable and pictures the topic you’ll be blogging about the most.

3. After that get over to namecheap.com or godaddy.com and check if the domain is available.

If the name is not available, you can still think up something close to what you really want.

So if you needed a domain name like “howtocreateablog.com” for example and the name is taken, you can get more creative and come up with something different…

Alternatively you could try “how2blog.com”, “how2startablog.com” or whatever it is you come up with, until you get a good alternative that will still reflect your blog topic.

4. Immediately you find out the domain name is available, buy it.

If you decide to keep it till the next day, another person might take it.

And when it’s taken you will be forced to find a different name. It’s happened to me.

So get your domain name and register it immediately.

After that, head over to choose a good web hosting company.

A web hosting company is a company that hosts your website content (both pictures, audio, videos and written posts) on their servers.

How they do it? It’s more like you owning a laptop and putting some files in different folders.

Your web hosting company puts the whole data on your website on their web servers.

This is what keeps your site online. And enables people to access it from anywhere.

Without a web host, your site could never exist on the internet.

OK. So when it comes to choosing a web hosting company, I’d recommend Smart web hosting. It's a Nigerian based hosting company. And their servers are based in The US.

They also have different hosting plans, including dedicated plans.

As a beginner, you should start with a hosting plan that reflects the purpose of your blog.

I mean if you’re intending to or have set up a plan for a website that will generate hundreds of thousands of hits in a short while then you have to choose a plan that reflects that.

Choosing anything less can get your site run out of storage memory especially if you upload heavy content.

Also you could run out of bandwidth if you have more site visits than your plan can handle.

This happened to me around July 2015. And for 15 days, my site was down until the following month. I lost thousands of readers. And it wasn’t cool at all.

So you have to choose a good plan. Or be sure to monitor your website traffic and memory limit from time to time and update your plan before you run out of resources.

Alternatively, you can go for a dedicated hosting if you have the money. But i don't advise you take this step as a starter unless you're sure you really need this.

Alright. So after registering your domain name and getting a web hosting account, the next thing you’ll do is design your website.

Check your email address for the email sent to you by your web host after you successfully purchased a a hosting plan with them.

Follow the link and login to your control panel with the login details provided.

When you login, scroll down to where you can find the WordPress scripts, click on install, wait for some minutes and you’ll be redirected after installation.

Click on the redirect link and get over to your WordPress dashboard. And let the main design begin.

That’s where we’ll pause for in today's smart blogging tutorial.

Remember, this smart blogging tutorial was brought to you by the smart blogging collegeTM.
[url]http://www.victorwinners.com/2017/07/03/smart-blogging-tutorial-how-to-choose-a-domain-name-for-your-blog/
[/url]

You can follow the link below to read up other deep stuff in this free tutorial.
http://www.victorwinners.com/

cc lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by veekid(m): 7:11am On Jul 06, 2017
Good stuff; Good stuff
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 06, 2017
I love blogging.. Tuham, come and teach me o.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Kennitrust(m): 7:12am On Jul 06, 2017
what I cannot see can never see me.
.gbam!

what I cannot touch can never touch me... gbam

And what I don't know will never know me.

whatever I have not make covenant with will not recognized me

in Jesus name

Amen.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Naijabams(m): 7:12am On Jul 06, 2017
Lol na waaooooo this one no follow ---> www.myschoolzone.com.ng
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by mumeen4allah(m): 7:13am On Jul 06, 2017
Kudos for this write up

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by wildchild1: 7:14am On Jul 06, 2017
Good

Check my signature for 2017/2018 club Jerseys and Confederation Cup countries jersey
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Drinokrane: 7:14am On Jul 06, 2017
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 06, 2017
Me I just used my name. cool you can check it out only for the smart.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by tohpahz(f): 7:15am On Jul 06, 2017
Thanks

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:15am On Jul 06, 2017
Something like this www.mortalpoet.com wink
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by 360command: 7:24am On Jul 06, 2017
blog thread does not go beyond 3 pages.people are less interested..
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:25am On Jul 06, 2017
360command:
blog thread does not go beyond 3 pages.people are less interested..
What do you mean?
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Julius2214(m): 7:28am On Jul 06, 2017
Nice tips...

Do you like to start your own blog but don't know how? I might be the right person to talk to
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by ElizaVeta(f): 7:30am On Jul 06, 2017
That's how an average Nigerian will buy a domain like :

Naija this, Naija that

After they start naming the site with :

#1 Best Nigerian...
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by decency17(m): 7:47am On Jul 06, 2017
good write up but you didn't explain how to buy a domain name.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by FunmyKemmy(f): 8:24am On Jul 06, 2017
Nice post.
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 06, 2017
@OP

Regarding changing your domain name, it is scary and but a nice step if taken carefully. The below infographic shows reasons why people change

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 06, 2017
Do you want to buy a well designed blog? call/ whattsapp 08188767667
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by martolux(m): 8:30am On Jul 06, 2017
i need a good web designer to help me redesign this site http://environment-pals..com
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 06, 2017
sexybbstar:
I love blogging.. Tuham, come and teach me o.

No problem nah grin

1. You'll pay registration fee, then do exam to see if you're qualified.
2. If you're qualified, you'll now pay acceptance fee.
3. After acceptance fee, you'll need to Submit your medical report to me so i can know that you're fit for the training
4. (The last step) Then you'll Pay the
Money for Training fee (tax inclusive)

As simple as ABC! cheesy cheesy
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by PstFavor: 8:44am On Jul 06, 2017
martolux:
i need a good web designer to help me redesign this site http://environment-pals..com
Let Us Discuss, You Can Visit http://nigeriatriballanguages..com if you like what you see, then contact me I Can Also Help Develop Ur Wordpress Sites also . cheers
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 06, 2017
Tuham:

No problem nah grin

1. You'll pay registration fee, then do exam to see if you're qualified.
2. If you're qualified, you'll now pay acceptance fee.
3. After acceptance fee, you'll need to Submit your medical report to me so i can know that you're fit for the training
4. (The last step) Then you'll Pay the
Money for Training fee (tax inclusive)

As simple as ABC! cheesy cheesy

Are you for real.... Go and sit down Jo
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by leXHansplaCE(m): 8:59am On Jul 06, 2017
God bless you for this OP

1 Like

Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 06, 2017
sexybbstar:

Are you for real.... Go and sit down Jo
Oya, lerrus be serious You mean it?
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 06, 2017
Tuham:

Oya, lerrus be serious You mean it?
Yes now
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Innov8ve1: 9:16am On Jul 06, 2017
its only Nigerians i see using their names as domain name for their blog. its really wierd.

check out our blog http://www.naijadailyfeed.com
Re: 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog by Obai4jesus(m): 9:44am On Jul 06, 2017
[quote author=360command post=58170834]blog thread does not go beyond 3 pages.people are less interested..[/quote

Bro, u comment like a sadist. Too bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naija adsense account for sale at 10k / Whogohost Server Down! This Has Taken Too Long To Fix / We Are Seeking Online Tutors.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.