Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Our Institutions; The Supposed Epitome Of Learning - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Our Institutions; The Supposed Epitome Of Learning (477 Views)

SARS Officers Are Not Supposed To Wear Plain Cloth While On Duty - PPRO, Dolapo / Free>> EQ Conversation Café: Puzzle Of Learning Workshop By Six Seconds (USA) / Amazing Benefits Of Learning A New Skill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Institutions; The Supposed Epitome Of Learning by johnchins: 2:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
OUR INSTITUTIONS; THE SUPPOSED EPITOME OF LEARNING

In the 1960s, there emerged an indigenous University out of the heart of an ancient town in the southeast. One born out of a great zeal to pitch man back to his dignity; It’s a ground where notable calibers have emerged. Men that have broken ground in the issues of research, technology advancement, and medical breakthrough.

This prestigious academia wouldn’t have being if not for the different caliber of people she is housing. Ranging from tough and strict lecturers who wouldn’t mind restoring the dignity by force, down to students who had no problem spending 40 percent of their stay in night class; as for the night crashers I can volunteer my bed. My spiritual brethren aren’t left out; those who live the triangle-life, from class to church, from church to the hostel. As for those who got no other business except their books, first class will not elude you.

Nevertheless, as for those whose primary purpose is to check out for new, clean and sharp babes around the campus, over stay is allowed. The cultist, ogboni men, witches and wizards, night-crawlers are not left out, there are all part of this citadel of learning.

Thank God for the level Nigeria has gotten to. It’s all the brilliant effort of those who have gone ahead of us. But it’s so unfortunate that in this part of the world, we exist in a sphere where everyone clamors for the certificate other than human resource. For this reason, people bend laid down rules to acquire it; only to get to the labour market with little or no knowledge of a simple job description.

If there be anything that is important, it is just good grades, no matter how it’s gotten. “Get good grades so you could get a good job”. I wonder where the jobs are. Already, thousands of graduates turned into the system yearly are hovering unemployed in the society and causing unrest to its citizenry.

Don’t misunderstand me, good grades are good. Hard work is necessary; in fact the primary purpose of a student is to study. Paul admonished Timothy, study to show your-self approved…. But these days, emphasis and importance placed on a paper certificate is just appalling.

In our University system today, skill acquisitions are hardly encouraged, participation in student’s politics is being spoken against, and the Nigeria University Games Association is gradually losing its meaning. It is no longer what you can do, what are your interests, what are your dreams, but rather it’s all about the certificate.

How can we then combat the fierce dreading unemployment ravaging our society, when everyone hopes to be employed? Only few have the entrepreneurial spirit. Thank God for the recent introduction of Entrepreneurial courses in the system, but if we be sincere with ourselves, there aren’t taught the right way it’s supposed. Don’t even talk about the engineering field because a typical mechanical engineering graduate might not have seen a lathe machine.

It might be good copying from the advanced world, but we aren’t just copying well. Moreover, it’s not everything that worked in their system will ever work for us. Because a plant that flourished in the mangrove might never do well in the savannahs.

Education and skills might guarantee a good life but certificate can never. It saddens me to know that certificate have taken the place of education and skills. How can we then combat the current economic situation facing the country, one that has never being before?

#chinsWRIT
Re: Our Institutions; The Supposed Epitome Of Learning by Prevho: 3:04pm On Apr 17, 2016
Brother, This is Nigeria where brown paper rules. Inasmuch as you can present a paper you are good to go.
I learnt someone used NEPA paper to even win election /;

>>>>> 7 Signs To Know You Have an Expired and overdue relationship

(1) (Reply)

Ways Millionaires Manages Their Money That Make Them Richer. / Managing Your Time / Can You Re-apply Back To A Company You Resigned From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.