Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Traditional Media VS Digital Media - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Traditional Media VS Digital Media (1355 Views)

This Pastor Adeboye Meme From The RCCG Digital Media Team Is Brilliant! / Digital Media Marketing Professional Training With Certification: 100% Practical / Buhari Appoints Tolu Ogunlesi As His Senior Special Adviser On New/digital Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Media VS Digital Media by Davefirst(m): 12:48pm On Apr 18, 2016
Since time immemorial when the town crier disseminate information to gather the villagers to the palace of the king or market square, the king serves as the information source and he uses the town crier as his means of getting his information across to the people.

Remember then when trademarks and signboards are means of advertising ones products and professions. When the woman hawking in the street shout to the top of her voice to gain the neighbourhood attention of what she is selling.... Oh! How time flies in a twinkle of an eye! O sweet memories! ALAS! Technology has taken over and come to stay. Digitalization has made us receive message in no time, and at cheaper rate. But both put together has made mass media a tremendous.

In this contemporary age, one cannot over emphasize on the roles played by the mass media in informing, educating and entertaining the publics. The traditional media and the digital media are two set of the mass media that is making wave for people, organizations and businesses around the world due to technological advancement. In this discussion, the roles of the traditional media and digital media in information dissemination, especially in advertising, branding and promotion will be examined.

What is Traditional Media?
The traditional media can be referred to as the conventional means of disseminating information to the heterogeneous dispersed audience. The content of the traditional media are usually not in discreet form which enables it to spread through all boundaries in reaching the remote areas; and also meets it audience even without demanding it. Many organizations has leveraged on this advantage of for disseminating information, advertising, public relations etc in order to get in touch with their audiences. Examples of traditional media include – Newspapers and Magazines, Radio, Television, Billboards etc.

What is Digital Media?
Digital media can be defined as digitized contents shared through computer or Internet network to a specific audience. The information on the digital media are in discreet form which are disseminated to the audience of a particular framework. The digital media is fast becoming vital in information dissemination due to the advancement in technology which enables instant feedback and interaction from the audience and customers. The digital media is not limited to text-content on websites and blogs, audio contents such as podcasts, videos, pictures and posts on social media platforms among others.

THE MEETING POINT
The traditional media ability to cut through boundaries and classes in order to get it message across to the highly dispersed audience has kept it in sustaining values and it audience in this dispensation. No gain saying that top organizations in the world can never dispute the importance of traditional media in reaching their audiences and customers in nooks and crannies of the world.

On the other hand, the digital media has also gained a larger share of the world population with the help of computers and smartphones. Recent research shows that there are about 1.5 billion active users on Facebook, 400 millions on Twitter, 300 million on Google Plus and 200 millions on Instagram. This has made most top industries, SMEs and even the traditional media to embrace the digital world in reaching their customers or audiences and getting feedbacks on their product, services and brands. Another advantage of the digital media is its cost effectiveness in getting information across to people which are majorly the active class.

However, It is important to note that both media have their strengths and weaknesses. The type of message, contents or information should determines the media to use in reaching the prospective audience.
For consultancy services on the best media to use in products branding, promotion, campaign and marketing. Contact Harlong Digitech
http://facebook.com/harlongdigitech

Which one do you think is the best
a. Traditional media
b. Digital media

With reasons please

Re: Traditional Media VS Digital Media by Emmyk(m): 7:10pm On Apr 18, 2016
The comparison looks somehow. Television is also a digital device, as its transmissions ldoesnt occupy any physical space. In Journalism profession, terms we use are Conventional/Traditional Media Vs The New Media.

It's a tough one as each has so many pros and cons likewise. I'll go with the conventional media because of the following reasons.

1. The conventional media have Gatekeepers. Gatekeepers are basically the people that guide the flow of information right from the source, down to the audience. No gatekeeper in the New media. Which leads to my second point.

2. Conventional media are more believable, only verified news and information are disseminated.

3. Only conventional media can be used and have been used for Rural Development purpose, then later on, The new media can be introduced. This is because the conventional media penetrate into places the other one cannot, this is not ruling out the wider coverage of the new media, I'm talking of local places where you do not have access to the internet.
4. The conventional media are mostly cheap.
Re: Traditional Media VS Digital Media by Davefirst(m): 7:21pm On Apr 18, 2016
Let's hear from you na
Re: Traditional Media VS Digital Media by Davefirst(m): 7:24pm On Apr 18, 2016
Emmyk:
The comparison looks somehow. Television is also a digital device, as its transmissions ldoesnt occupy any physical space. In Journalism profession, terms we use are Conventional/Traditional Media Vs The New Media.

It's a tough one as each has so many pros and cons likewise. I'll go with the conventional media because of the following reasons.

1. The conventional media have Gatekeepers. Gatekeepers are basically the people that guide the flow of information right from the source, down to the audience. No gatekeeper in the New media. Which leads to my second point.

2. Conventional media are more believable, only verified news and information are disseminated.

3. Only conventional media can be used and have been used for Rural Development purpose, then later on, The new media can be introduced. This is because the conventional media penetrate into places the other one cannot, this is not ruling out the wider coverage of the new media, I'm talking of local places where you do not have access to the internet.
4. The conventional media are mostly cheap.

Good observation Bro... I like ur analysis
Re: Traditional Media VS Digital Media by Charles4777: 7:42am On Jan 28, 2021
Obviously, digital media makes use of the latest technologies to reach many more people. On the other hand, traditional media such as print may be more powerful for reaching a targeted more niche (possibly more affluent audience) through paper magazines, newspapers, leaflets,s, and brochures. Page layout software can allow you to publish printed material as well as pdf documents. Take an Adobe InDesign course and you can create digital and physical publications of all kinds. I think traditional media and digital media will continue to exist and complement each other for a long time to come.
Re: Traditional Media VS Digital Media by Kevinton: 6:57pm On Feb 18, 2021
I think we should follow the trends how modern people reach out their desired services and the marketing strategies should be like that styles accordingly. Nowadays, most the people know different languages for marketing and a better business. I am a senior advisor and help the people with Pulse Power plans and I like their services. By the way, I think traditional marketing styles do not work well whereas everything has become digitalized!

(1) (Reply)

3 Able-bodied Men Paraded Unclad After Being Caught Stealing Motorcycle In Delta / Guys Would You Let Your Woman Go Out In This Outfit? / List Of Yoruba Monarchs By Hierarchy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.