Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,829 members, 7,956,144 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:22 AM

Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server (944 Views)

Desktop Computer Not Working With NEPA But Working With Generator Power. Help!!! / Why C Is The Default Drive On Your Computer & Not A Or B? Here’s Why / Ever Wondered Why C Is The Default Drive On Your Computer & Not A Or B? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by gdcomms: 12:14pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hello Gurus of NL, I have these issues with a network in a Microfinance. Two of their client computers can't connect to their server that's housing their Alpha programme. I have tried to setup the network wizard but it still not seeing the server. This is the message I get when I launch the Alpha from a client computer: (Microsoft)ODBC Driver Manager)Data source name not found and no default driver specified.
Please, how do I resolve this issue?

Thanks a million for being of help.
Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by alienvirus: 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2016
gdcomms:
Hello Gurus of NL, I have these issues with a network in a Microfinance. Two of their client computers can't connect to their server that's housing their Alpha programme. I have tried to setup the network wizard but it still not seeing the server. This is the message I get when I launch the Alpha from a client computer: (Microsoft)ODBC Driver Manager)Data source name not found and no default driver specified.
Please, how do I resolve this issue?

Thanks a million for being of help.

I don't know what Alpha progremme is all about. I want to assume it is their management software.

To start with, what was the response when you pinged the IP address of the server?
Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by gdcomms: 12:34pm On Apr 19, 2016
When I ping this is what I get: Transmit failed. General failure
Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by alienvirus: 12:53pm On Apr 19, 2016
gdcomms:
When I ping this is what I get: Transmit failed. General failure

Then, that is where your issue lies.

Check the IP settings and let it be in the same range with the server. You should get replies when you ping. If not, check other things like

1. Cables
2. Switches
3. Firewall etc.

Let me know if the issue persists.

I guess you are into networking

1 Like

Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by gdcomms: 11:18am On Apr 20, 2016
@Alien, thanks for the infos. Well everything is working well but we need to carry out a re-wiring of the entire network with 6 computers.
I am to purchase the following:

1. Switch (8 ports preferred)
2. Network cables (Cat 5 preferred)
3. RJ45 clips
4. ADSL

What else do I need to make the network more professional?

Thanks a million
Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by shawlxAk(m): 12:56pm On Apr 20, 2016
So how were you able to finally resolve the issue? We would love to know.

Regarding your second question, you're on the right track. However, go for CAT 5e or CAT 6 Ethernet cables. CAT5 is becoming obsolete. You may need a router too for internet connection sharing.

gdcomms:
@Alien, thanks for the infos. Well everything is working well but we need to carry out a re-wiring of the entire network with 6 computers.

3. RJ45 clips
4. ADSL

Thanks a million
Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by shawlxAk(m): 3:30pm On Apr 20, 2016
Anybody else who stumbles upon a similar problem can follow the troubleshooting guide in the link below.

http://sholadaitman.com/2016/04/ping-transmit-failed-general-failure/
Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by alienvirus: 3:52pm On Apr 20, 2016
gdcomms:

3. RJ45 clips
4. ADSL

Thanks a million

Sorry, I did'nt see this quickly. Probably you should have mentioned my handle fully.

For a small scale network, that should be enough and the ADSL to have the capabilities of what you need it for.

I wish you the best.
Re: Client Computer Not Connecting To The Server by gdcomms: 8:33pm On Apr 25, 2016
alienvirus:

Sorry, I did'nt see this quickly. Probably you should have mentioned my handle fully.

For a small scale network, that should be enough and the ADSL to have the capabilities of what you need it for.

I wish you the best.

Thanks man. Everything is perfect now

(1) (Reply)

Remix OS - An Android OS For Yout PC / Eleaf Inano, Tiny Starter Kit For Vape Beginners / Laptop With 3hours Battery Life Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.