Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,069 members, 7,956,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:53 AM

Off Grid Power Generation With Solar - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Off Grid Power Generation With Solar (2519 Views)

Newly Invented Off-grid Solar Grill Can Store & Cook @ Night Without Electricity / Go Completely Off Grid With Ifeoma Solar / Off-grid Solar Energy Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 12:12pm On Apr 20, 2016
My family got disconnected from the National electricity grid in August 2015, three years after paying for a consumption meter but couldn’t get it for a truckload of reasons. This isn’t even the annoying part, the annoying part is that we kept on getting monthly estimated consumption bills (which surpassed the cost of running a petrol generator for the same number of hours we got monthly power supply) for the next 4 months and the monthly rate was on the rise!!! I got angry since the disconnection, because the amount of money, time and effort wasted trying to track the meter was enough to power generator for a few days. This therefore brought my Engineer instincts to fore and drove me to look into efficient, off grid, zero maintenance power generation systems and I settled for solar, I researched for a long time and came up with an assembly that’s been worth every resource that was put in (total cost for a 1000w setup running for 4 hours daily is slightly higher than estimated bill debt and amount paid for meter considering neither the amount paid to PHCN in those years nor the amount spent on generators). I consulted friends, researched on the internet and all before making this installation and really it’s advisable for everyone to consider this option for the peace and reliability it offers. Therefore if interested in taking this path to freedom I am very much at your service on here or via 08077631013- Calls, SMS and Whatsapp.

2 Likes

Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 7:22am On Apr 21, 2016
I assemble a 200w solar panel, with a 12v/24v 10a to 60a automatic MPPT charge controller, to a 200ah battery connected to a 1000w inverter. The parts were connected using 6mm cable because I plan to expand as time goes on.
By the way all parts were sourced for in Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by Nobody: 2:10am On Apr 22, 2016
timifakay:
I assemble a 200w solar panel, with a 12v/24v 10a to 60a automatic MPPT charge controller, to a 200ah battery connected to a 1000w inverter. The parts were connected using 6mm cable because I plan to expand as time goes on.
hi, pls how many watts solar panel would I need for a 400ah battery with a 1.5kvA inverter
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 10:51am On Apr 22, 2016
grayht:
hi, pls how many watts solar panel would I need for a 400ah battery with a 1.5kvA inverter
two pieces of 200 watts or 250watts with a 40a or higher charge controller if running a parallel connection will be enough... Considering daily DOD to be 50% or less.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 4:38pm On Apr 22, 2016
@op how much did it cost you for your own set up sir? I have exactly the same issues with phcn
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 8:48pm On Apr 22, 2016
olorunda68:
@op how much did it cost you for your own set up sir? I have exactly the same issues with phcn
Cost analysis: 200ah Leap Power Battery- 45,000
200w Solar panel- 40,000
12v 30a Charge Controller 17,500
1000w Inverter- 8,500
10 Yards 2-core cable- 6,000
Cable clips- 100
Taxi charter- 1,500
Tips- 200
Transportation to the market- 190
Carpenter- 1000
Total-119,990

1 Like

Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 1:40pm On Apr 23, 2016
tanx for your response sir, please is your solar panel mono or poly make sir? then is the charge controller mppt with display or something else? and sir how much does the 250 watt monocrystaline panel sir? ( I want to add more batteries later ). I have a 1.2kw inverter with 1 mercury vrla 12V 100ah/20hr and a12V 75ah sealed car batteries.( I use the batteries separately ) I also use a 20 amps smart charger to charge the batteries but due to phcn failure to supply power I'm not getting joy from my venture yet. so with solar power charging the batteries should be easy.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 1:49pm On Apr 23, 2016
Below is the pix of my present phch backed inverter setup which I want to change to solar backed inverter electricity setup sir.

Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 1:54pm On Apr 23, 2016
I belief I have part of the items I would need in my journey ( with your guidance ) to off grid living sir. grin
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 3:41pm On Apr 23, 2016
olorunda68:
I belief I have part of the items I would need in my journey ( with your guidance ) to off grid living sir. grin
It's poly 200watts I have, they told me 250watts poly is 45k where I got it.
My charge controller is MPPT but doesn't have display, only indicators of different colors. A pic of inverter, charge controller and battery is attached

Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 4:37pm On Apr 23, 2016
tanx for the info sir, please can you post the solar power equipment seller shop location in ibadan and his phone number for enquiries?
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 6:58am On Apr 24, 2016
olorunda68:
tanx for the info sir, please can you post the solar power equipment seller shop location in ibadan and his phone number for enquiries?
Here are the numbers of the sellers on their receipts:
Show The light... Salvation Army area, Oke Padre. (solar panels, CC, cables, batteries) 08033545426, Lagos- 08187173135. I didn't buy my battery here
N. Olalekan Trading Stores Ifeleye, Oke Padre- 08052666158
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 10:29am On Apr 24, 2016
tanx for the information sir, I will contact them when I visit ibadan next month. please how do I get to Oke padre from Iwo road ( I live in ondo township of ondo state the sunshine state) grin
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 10:30am On Apr 24, 2016
tanx for the information sir, I will contact them when I visit ibadan next month. please how do I get to Oke padre from Iwo road ( I live in ondo township of ondo state the sunshine state) grin grin
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by DMerciful(m): 7:32pm On Apr 24, 2016
@op, if you want to go solar, u need at least a solar panel combination that can out 1000W. If can't go off the grid with 200W and trust me I have experience in solar installation. You need to take into cognistance of the amount of sunlight per day and the varying angles of the overhead sun so that the maximum you can get from the panels is 50% so you plan for twice your daily consumption at least.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by DMerciful(m): 7:34pm On Apr 24, 2016
This is too rough grin. See my 1.5kva in this link
https://www.nairaland.com/3067118/how-inverter-saving-me-poor#45006517
olorunda68:
Below is the pix of my present phch backed inverter setup which I want to change to solar backed inverter electricity setup sir.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 2:06am On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
@op, if you want to go solar, u need at least a solar panel combination that can out 1000W. If can't go off the grid with 200W and trust me I have experience in solar installation. You need to take into cognistance of the amount of sunlight per day and the varying angles of the overhead sun so that the maximum you can get from the panels is 50% so you plan for twice your daily consumption at least.
Daily DOD is much less than 100ah, therefore with 4.5 hours of peak sunlight I get 900w from the panels...
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 2:21am On Apr 25, 2016
olorunda68:
tanx for the information sir, I will contact them when I visit ibadan next month. please how do I get to Oke padre from Iwo road ( I live in ondo township of ondo state the sunshine state) grin grin
Board a taxi to Mokola round about fro Iwo road, then another to Oke Padre from Mokola round about. Show The light is before the final bus stop, just ask for show the light, Beside Salvation Army, and N. Olalekan Batteries too is popular, ask the market people for directions.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by olorunda68: 8:31pm On Apr 25, 2016
tanx for the info sir
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 8:06am On Apr 28, 2016
olorunda68:
tanx for the info sir
You are very welcome, let me know whenever you visit the place.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by mukhcech(m): 2:16am On May 31, 2016
timifakay:

Instead of the 1000w inverter, Can I use UPS to cut cost?
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 8:03am On May 31, 2016
mukhcech:

Instead of the 1000w inverter, Can I use UPS to cut cost?
Sure! So far it's the same voltage with your battery bank and it can comfortably power all your appliances.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 11:42am On Oct 31, 2016
System is now over 6 months old, average of 4 hours supply every night... Calculate the cost buying 4 liters of fuel daily for that period and a great bulk of the system is paid for.
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by pointstores(m): 8:57pm On Oct 31, 2016
3 IN 1 ONE 1KVA SUDER INVERTER WITH DISPLAY COMES WITH 26AH CHARGE CONTROLLER JUST BUY SOLAR PANEL AND CONNECT DIRECTLY PRIZE 28K BRAND NEW AND USED INVERTER, BATTERY,SOLARPANEL IN STOCK AT GREAT PRIZE CALL 08166117634
Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by timifakay(m): 8:12am On Nov 01, 2016
pointstores:
3 IN 1 ONE 1KVA SUDER INVERTER WITH DISPLAY COMES WITH 26AH CHARGE CONTROLLER JUST BUY SOLAR PANEL AND CONNECT DIRECTLY PRIZE 28K BRAND NEW AND USED INVERTER, BATTERY,SOLARPANEL IN STOCK AT GREAT PRIZE CALL 08166117634
Charge controller should be rated in Ampere (A) and not Amphour (AH).

1 Like

Re: Off Grid Power Generation With Solar by pointstores(m): 8:19am On Nov 01, 2016
timifakay:

Charge controller should be rated in Ampere (A) and not Amphour (AH).
i WAS RUSHING TO TYPE AH IS BATTERY RATING

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Opera News App: How I Earn Over N3,000 Free Airtime / The Legit Ways To Make Money Online / 3000w Easun Pure Sine Wave Energy Efficient Off-grid Inverters (video Attached)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.