Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,980 members, 7,956,659 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:26 PM

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda (24867 Views)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / Man Dies In LUTH As Staff Couldn't Find Person With Key To Oxygen Room / Asiata Adupe Onikoyi-Laguda Celebrates Her 91st Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by ayopo10(m): 1:16pm On Apr 20, 2016
At 90, Asiata Onikoyi-Laguda is believed to be the oldest person with sickle cell disease in the world. She was born in November 1925, the same year as Margaret Thatcher, first female British prime minister and Malcolm X, the African American civil rights activist. At that time, the average life expectancy of children born with sickle cell disorder was just five years, but she has defied the odds to live up to 90. Due to the high level of illiteracy at the time of her birth, she was never diagnosed with sickle cell. She endured years of pain, which kept her away from school till she was 12 years old. Her pain was so severe and frequent that she would beg God to let her die.

After primary school, she enrolled at Queens College Lagos, where she met her husband Bolaji Alakija, who later became a doctor. She did not know she had the sickle cell disease until after she had given birth to five of her six children. Her husband, Dr Alakija, gave her pills including folic acid to take every day, but kept the nature of her illness away from her for a long time. Dr Alakija had 10 wives and 27 children, when he died, she married Alhaji Laguda, but she never had a child with her second husband.

She is the second of four children born from AbdulYekeen Ishola Onikoyi, a prince of the Onikoyi ruling house, and Aishat Alake Onikoyi from Kudeti, Ibadan. In spite of her illness, she has outlived her parents, husbands and siblings except one. According to SCD Journal, in spite of the disease:
– She is under no dietary restrictions whatsoever: eats salt, eggs, meat, sugar, fried food, etc as she likes
– Her blood pressure hovering around 160/90
– She has performed the holy pilgrimage to Mecca 13 times and Umrah half a dozen times
– She observed the annual 30-day Ramadhan fast until she was over 88 and pressured to discontinue by her children
– She reads Bible, Quran everyday with glasses but moves around without glasses
– She takes public transport in super-chaotic Lagos
– She gave birth to six children, all by normal delivery. When only son passed away in August 2014 aged 59, she accepted the will of Allah but prayed, “Please let the rest of the children you gave me outlive me.”

www.woman.ng/2015/12/the-oldest-person-with-sickle-cell-disease-in-the-world-alhaja-asiata-onikoyi-laguda-clocks-90-read-her-amazing-story/

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by dominique(f): 1:39pm On Apr 20, 2016
I think I've watched a newsline story about her many years ago. I just love when people defy all odds and prove even the scientists wrong

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by eddy42k(m): 1:42pm On Apr 20, 2016
No her pishure? undecidedadonbilif u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by ayopo10(m): 2:22pm On Apr 20, 2016
lalasticlala post updated

1 Like

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by DONADAMS(m): 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2016
hmmmmm,,,impressive
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by BE811APP: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
Nothing is impossible with God!

10 Likes

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
God is the doctor of all doctors. He alone has got the final say. The doctor's report isn't same with God's report. Wonderful. Baba God Noni, the only great physician. Twuale ohhhhhh.

19 Likes

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by money121(m): 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
Good for her
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by Destined2win: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by phayvoursky(m): 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2016
SHE NEVER KNEW SHE HAD SICKLE CELL UNTIL SHE GAVE BIRTH TO 5 OF HER 6 CHILDREN.

SOMETIMES KNOWLEDGE IS DESTRUCTIVE.

SHOULD SHE HAVE KNOWN SHE PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE LIVED THIS LONG.

61 Likes

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by JohnnyBling(m): 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2016
Wow...that's what i call divine luck!!

3 Likes

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by AntiWailer: 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2016
awesome.

1 Like

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by ichommy(m): 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2016
WoW
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by Genea(f): 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2016
Woooooooow, this is amazing
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2016
wow

The unlimited power of the Almighty God
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by Emrixx(f): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2016
She's pretty thoigh

1 Like

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by surrogatesng: 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2016
very nice
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by SKAMM(m): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2016
wow pretty and badass

2 Likes

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by Lilimax(f): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2016
She is gracefully endowed with longevity smiley
...such a rare being undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by dollydolly(f): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2016
Wow!
She looks very healthy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by macaranta(m): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2016
cool..she's blessed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by ayoolataiwo(m): 12:43pm On Apr 22, 2016
She defy all medical odds related scd....i pray my frnd can also live dat long...i pray nd hope

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by Orikinla(m): 12:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
Thank Almighty God JEHOVAH for her blessed life. There is cure for sicle cell in America. Successful clinical trials confirmed in 2015.

2 Likes

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by bunmioguns(m): 12:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
God is great

1 Like

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by Otunbafederatio: 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
It is not by her power nor might but power of God Almighty. May Almighty God continue to protect her.... Amen.
Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by gifsCEC: 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
This is nice!

I wish her good health in her remaining years on earth

1 Like

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by dridowu: 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
The ultimate healer is God not human

1 Like

Re: The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda by octopusfreaky(f): 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
dominique:
I think I've watched a newsline story about her many years ago. I just love when people defy all odds and prove even the scientists wrong
yea ori yato sori

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

354 New COVID-19 Cases, 265 Discharged And 3 Deaths On August 6 - (3,835 Tested) / What Is Stopping The White From Getting The Cure For HIV/AIDS? / Woman Pictured Holding Own Heart After Transplant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.