Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN (12422 Views)

Lion Kills Attendant At Agodi Zoo In Oyo As Government Shuts Down Zoo / Baggage Abandoned By Arik Air At A New York Airport. Photos / Lagos To Owerri Is N12,600 On Dana Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 20, 2016
Arik flew this evening, their station manager called me about 2.30 pm that I can still use the ticket I bought today as they will be flying as the resolved their issue with FAAN.

And so I am here after a wonderful fly on Arik.

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by Btruth: 9:17pm On Apr 20, 2016
Can you imagine? An airline that's posing to be the national carrier. Anyway, whatever has to done sha....... cool
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by Twy: 9:18pm On Apr 20, 2016
bigheart2013:
If you criticize things happening in Nigeria, pseudo-nationalists who live in Nigeria and benefit from the rot will come for your head. There's practically nothing Nigerians can manage well. Work ethics is zero, we are proud and arrogant only on wrong and negative things - fraud, corruption, shameful materialism, etc. Look at even how our own style of blogging has killed professional journalism. Look at our lives!! Good!!!.....Abeg make una carry go jare.

I won't go as far to say Nigerians are not hardworking, I think we are materialistic and lack vision. Our individual actions tend to move towards building a house, fence and gate and leaving everybody out. If everybody is for their own selfish interest, who is for Nigeria? I think you can see the impact of positive change if your non commodity products are sought in Europe/Latin America/Asia or even in Africa. But even our products are subpar and hated in Nigeria. Probably because the guy that made it is just in for the money and could not care about the comfort of the buyers.
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 20, 2016
Sunnycliff:
God pity this nation abeg! Too much wahala associated with this administration from all angles?

Is PMB associated with negativism?
.....No you are the ONLY ONE associated with - NEGATIVISM ! cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by cutestcee: 10:53pm On Apr 20, 2016
ARIK is also owing GDS companies. They have been removed from Galileo even. I'm sure they are also owing for food supplies. Gross mismanagement!
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by emi14: 12:35am On Apr 21, 2016
Nigeria and Nigerians have lost the grace of shame. This is how Nigerian airways died and refused to resurrect. Why can't we manage a single and common transport business. Our graduates display their managerial skills and knowledge in social media only, employ them and they will run your business down, employ them your business is dead.
Arik is so indebted because the management diverted the funds into their respective personal bank accounts and declare loses to the owners after taking salaries and allowances. What a wicked generation enslaved by corruption. Tomorrow the company will be grounded and percentage of unemployment will also rise.
Arik can never think of owning south African aviation authority because the system works over there.
They deserve more embarrassment.
O God return the grace of shame to Nigerians.
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by Ramsey247(m): 12:44am On Apr 21, 2016
Please o when did people start protesting onbehalf of faan when faan has all the instruments for enforcement. i smell politics. Nigerians should stop speaking evil against their own. Arik is the only Nigerian owned airline that flies both local and international. Lets support them pls.
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by KA24DETT(m): 12:52am On Apr 21, 2016
The worst sort of business is one that grows rapidly, requires significant capital to engender the growth, and then earns little or no money. Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down.

— Warren Buffett, annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders, February 2008.

Airline business is too capital intensive and the returns are rock bottom..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by baby124: 1:00am On Apr 21, 2016
Their international staff did not make them world class. Eyah. Someone is obviously living large, instead of paying debts and building a good brand. Nigerians and greed plus instant gratification added with a dash of lack of foresight and dignity. Tufia
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by AreaFada2: 2:49am On Apr 21, 2016
opalu:
Two highly regulated Businesses I hate to venture into:- AIRLINES AND BANKING.
I hail all Entrepreneurs who are in this sectors. I hail all of una. (I mean the Owners not employees in Aviation or in bank that you ask their occupation and they say "I'm a Banker))
Both are prestigious BUT have high standards to maintain.
No wonder: human lives, big money and national reputation are involved.

Another is healthcare in developed countries. A hospital, private or public can be scandalised easily because of one death, once the media start digging in and showing devastated bereaved.
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 21, 2016
Keneking:
Just sell off the aircrafts ....that is it

7 reasons why they cant pay:

1. Existing liabilities: debt owed banks, suppliers, FAAN etc is massive.I am sure the cake and water supplied for inflight entertainment would be debts.

2. Profitability: Most of their routes are not lucrative.

3. Competition:stiff competition especially from Peace, Dana, Aero, Flynation, others on lucrative routes of Abuja and Lagos is affecting them. The space in international route is also competitive esp. London and SA.

4. Huge cost of operations

5. Huge maintenance cost

6. Expensive corporate lifestyle

7. Low customer satisfaction and poorly motivated personnel.

There should be turnaround as soon as possible and I would recommend a new management and restructuring.

Where is lalasticlala sef?

Yeah I dont see why we cant use propeller driven aircrafts for local journeys. Must we use jet for our local travel, this copy copy mentality is killing our airlines.

GO to the airport you will see propeller driven planes parked because of fashion, these plans are cheaper to run and dont consume much for short trips.

Jet planes on the other hand are very expensive to run on short trips.

Airline industry in Nigeria should apply common sense.

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by elucky: 8:14am On Apr 21, 2016
DESPERATE OPERATIONS AND CHARGES BY FAAN TOWING AGENTS (BILAFARY ENTERPRISES) AT LAGOS INT'L AIRPORT

FAAN have contracted hoodlums to operate its towing activity at Lagos International Airport. I drove through the airport toll gate into Conoil Petrol Station at airport road by 9pm to drop a friend off. 5 seconds of pleasantries with him, 5 funny looking men sorounded me to say i pulled over illegally. I was like am off the road in the Conoil petrol station just to drop my friend. As i highlighted my car to make my point clear to them, they began fixing cables to tow. I had to take pictures as proof of where i was positioned and i was towed inside my car.
Getting to their office, i saw lots of people with worse experience complaining and were being slammed bills like myself who was given a 25k ticket.
Imagine where no parking sign exist staff of BILAFARY ENTERPRISES will lie in wait for car owners who stop on emergency. Rather than tell them move ahead and park your car; this is no parking, they will rush up with you on the steering to lock your tires and tow.

Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by diegwu01: 9:07am On Apr 21, 2016
kaeforum:

Yeah I dont see why we cant use propeller driven aircrafts for local journeys. Must we use jet for our local travel, this copy copy mentality is killing our airlines.

GO to the airport you will see propeller driven planes parked because of fashion, these plans are cheaper to run and dont consume much for short trips.

Jet planes on the other hand are very expensive to run on short trips.

Airline industry in Nigeria should apply common sense.
How many passengers can Propeller aircraft carry? the biggest cant do more than 70 at a time
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by whitebeard(m): 1:15pm On Apr 21, 2016
see this union they vex me..no be me no pay them money I just they pay tax they con they protest I no send them now I no get light cause of union I won commit go were light dey I no fit cause of union I go kill person oo...!!
Re: Arik Air Shuts Down As Unions Protest N12.4bn Debt It Owed FAAN by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 21, 2016
diegwu01:
How many passengers can Propeller aircraft carry? the biggest cant do more than 70 at a time

are u saying the total number of people traveling locally by flight on a daily basis is in Nigeria is over a 1000, if that is correct then the airlines should be able to break even with what they currently charge.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Panic At Lagos US Consulate Over Suspicious Object / Which Area In Lagos Is The Best To Reside? / Aminu Mustapha, Ondo DPO Dies In Car Crash. His Son Survives With Injuries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.