Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,712 members, 7,809,699 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. (10761 Views)

The First Car To Ever Get A Speed Ticket Was Caught Doing 8MPH / Name Of Your First Car And Your Experience With It? / The First Car That Was Bought In Ido Ekiti (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by ehiwarior: 11:29am On Apr 22, 2016
I jus got my first car actually hyundai elantra shaa...hopinh it will serve me @list..the stories I hear about mechanic is getting me scared...
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by lobito007(m): 12:12pm On Apr 22, 2016
deybholar:
My first car was a Toyota Camry 2005 model. I bought it from someone on Nairaland. Oh this car dealt with me. Barely three weeks later, I had to replace the engine, and that was the beginning of my woes. Every week, something has to be fixed! From power steering
pump to steering rack to the Fan, to the engine seat, I changed almost Everything in that car before I sold it off.
Never again will I buy a Naija used car.
TERRIBLE! !!
Evils that nairaland car dealers do. I can totally relate with this. Almost fell for one myself, but had to soji @ the last minute. I then bought a clean lexus SUV @ a car lot off nland, instead.

PS: permission to slide into your dm?

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 22, 2016
I just bought my first car. 2001 Honda babyboy. Bought it from a navy officer and its been good sha. Just a week since I got it. Just pray it stays good cos I don't have any reason to buy it, yet I got it with all my cash in bank.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by omaolowo(m): 1:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
saasala:

How old is your first grandchild sir.... Let me guess your age... 70+,right?

My first grandchild is still in the Primary School.
For the records, I am only 60+ (early 60s to be precise). Actually, U am not yet 63 yrs

The events I described were just after our NYSC....

3 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by yum01: 1:19pm On Apr 22, 2016
hmmm...we (my family) bought our first car

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 22, 2016
Bad roads, incompetent mechanics and poor maintenance culture: The bane of Nigeria-used vehicles.
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by Newtonray: 1:51pm On Apr 22, 2016
How can I make headline. Somebody help me. I want my news to make headline
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by cooleo(m): 2:08pm On Apr 22, 2016
DBossNG:
Car or vehicle?
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by deybholar(f): 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2016
lobito007:

Evils that nairaland car dealers do. I can totally relate with this. Almost fell for one myself, but had to soji @ the last minute. I then bought a clean lexus SUV @ a car lot off nland, instead.

PS: permission to slide into your dm?

Lol @ slide into dm
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by kkk09man: 4:38pm On Apr 22, 2016
My first car was a 1994 Bmw coupe, got it a tokunbo. I cant forget the funny 1st day experience with that car. I wasn't driving properly before, just had a few driving practices with my brothers car which was an automatic transmission, then a 1week practice at a driving school a year before going to buy this car. I wanted this manual transmission car because it was meant to be me and wifey practice car. On the first day immediately I just paid and decided to drive home, 5 mins later I bashed the car while trying to buy fuel. I had not yet mastered the clutch release. But thank God the bash wasn't that bad. I was still able to drive home.... the car was fine until wifey ran into a pavement and radiator got bad. After the change of radiator the woes became endless, AC, electrical issues... sold it a year later, though with a sound engine. But mechanic n police fed fat from my jjc experience.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by armadeo(m): 5:40pm On Apr 22, 2016
1st whip a baby Benz in 2004. with small change that remained i fixed an Ac and bought a mad sound system. I was balling till mechanics turned me to mugu. I used money that would have bought used to rekit it.

Used that ride for 7years. At a point to wind down the Windows I had to open the drivers door. Imagine rolling and it rains I open the door in motion to wind down because a.c. don kpafuka and the screen is moisted up and I have to again open the door to wind up cos rain don dey beat me.

I suffer for that car hand. But I was faithful and served.

I remember when I spoilt on the express gasket burst and mechanics at ore take me do Christmas.

Thank God for upliftment.

Note always buy a factory fitted a.c. and sound system in your car to avoid stories that touch.

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by saasala(m): 11:57pm On Apr 22, 2016
omaolowo:

My first grandchild is still in the Primary School.
For the records, I am only 60+ (early 60s to be precise). Actually, U am not yet 63 yrs

The events I described were just after our NYSC....

Okay papa... You are around same age as my dad, he is 64. May you live long in good health sir. May your children becomes bundles of success whilst you are alive
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by christopher123(m): 12:45am On Apr 23, 2016
omaolowo:
My first car was a Volkswagen Beetle 1300 cc model. The Bettle used to come in two types: 1500 cc with large rear lights & my smaller model with smaller rear lights
It was bought from NITECO Osogbo in 1977 for a princely sum of N2,650. It was completely brand new.

Two of my colleagues (we were Assistant Lecturers in Great Ife) accompanied me to Osogbo for this historic and unforgettable event: we drove in one's car to Osogbo, whilst the other drove the new car back to Ile Ife - as I did not know how to drive. Both are today world-renowned Professors in their chosen fields.

It was from these friends that I learnt driving skills (using the serene campus roads)...
I was always being driven to town whenever it was time to buy fuel because it was this my car that I used to learn driving
By the way, Premium grade (Super) petrol was then sold at 10 kobo a litre. To fill the Beetle would cost N3 for its 30 litre capacity tank.
The lower grade of petrol (Regular) was then 8.5 kobo per litre

Na una enjoy Nigeria ...dem never born us then...my first car is a Nissan sunny American spec but started driving 505 evolution such a rugged car

Nissan is OK car but the engine smokes easily but a good car
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by christopher123(m): 12:49am On Apr 23, 2016
yum01:
hmmm...we (my family) bought our first car (polo) september 2015 for 350k..spent 200k on it in 2 months, never drove it for a week at a stretch...my mechanic burnt d wires in d engine November last year...now i have spent 180k to fix it...it bn a great experience for me and i wld never buy a nija used car again in my life...i dont think they are worth it.

Secrets of naija used car is check the body and interior forget the engine ..buy the car and replace the engine simple

You can trade the former engine

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by weirdarkhitekt(m): 6:03am On Apr 23, 2016
How can I delete posts on nairaland?
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by AgentGoat: 8:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
emmanok24:
After riding my Jincheng Motorcycle for almost 5 years. I bought a VW Golf 2 and it's been a joy to eventually own a car considering the convenience it offers.

Mechanics visit have been minimal. The only major problem I'm having is the leaking of the AC Gas which I'm looking to rectify once pepper rest grin

I'm still hopeful God will change me level soon.
This your golf clean. Did you bought it as naija used or tokunbo? How much?
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by AgentGoat: 8:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
omaolowo:
My first car was a Volkswagen Beetle 1300 cc model. The Bettle used to come in two types: 1500 cc with large rear lights & my smaller model with smaller rear lights
It was bought from NITECO Osogbo in 1977 for a princely sum of N2,650. It was completely brand new.

Two of my colleagues (we were Assistant Lecturers in Great Ife) accompanied me to Osogbo for this historic and unforgettable event: we drove in one's car to Osogbo, whilst the other drove the new car back to Ile Ife - as I did not know how to drive. Both are today world-renowned Professors in their chosen fields.

It was from these friends that I learnt driving skills (using the serene campus roads)...
I was always being driven to town whenever it was time to buy fuel because it was this my car that I used to learn driving
By the way, Premium grade (Super) petrol was then sold at 10 kobo a litre. To fill the Beetle would cost N3 for its 30 litre capacity tank.
The lower grade of petrol (Regular) was then 8.5 kobo per litre
you be senior man.
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by MuslimPrince(m): 11:34pm On Apr 23, 2016
my first car was a Toyota starlet, handed over by my pman. it happened like dis, sometimes in 2012, he traveled with a friend and left his Carina e wagon at home, being a sharp guy, i had been studying how he drives it(manual suspension), I jst got d key, drive it around d compound for two minutes, I was felling fly, then I had to park it at the spot he parked it, I started sweating, manoevreing to a reverse position, then I got the bumper scratched, I jst leave am like dat. when he came back, he was angry I scratched his car. The next day, he handed me the key to the starlet which he barely drives since he bought the Carina, I was happy, started driving it within the street for four days, then I summoned the courage to drive on the main road till I became expert, and till date, I was never involved in any road accident.

What I love about d starlet is that it consume less fuel, only a little above motorcycle consumption, and its easy to maintain, low cost spare parts and rugeduty.

Four months into use, the car started changing my destiny, I was gradually becoming a mechanic (meco), there is no single day that it wount develop a fault, from plug, fuel pump, caburator over float, exhaust leakage, alignment, in fact the whole car na problem, he con ugly join.

Na one day I sleep 4 bed dey think abt d car, inspiration jst com, say if I no sell am na him go kill me. then I started looking 4 buyer, later sold it for 75k. although, pman vex say if I no want again, I suppose jst leave am 4 ground BT dat one na 'after school lesson'. since then, i dey borrow car go important place ni as I never gada buy real car, and am satisfied with ma jingcheng okada, at least 4 d time being. make ah stop here.
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by Niseed(m): 1:43am On Apr 24, 2016
Lol interesting stories.

here's mine. my first car was a black 1988 VW Scirocco GT (automatic). I paid about £250 for it from an uncle that used to get his vehicles at auction in 1999.

being excited at the prospect of owning a car i worked almost double shifts at my summer job just to save up for it. I also never told my uncle about my inability to drive apart from what I had observed people doing when they were driving as a passenger (checking footwork). the day i picked up the car he simply asked me if I could drive and I answered in the affirmative.

i got the keys to my jalopy and off I went. what happened next was an experience and a half. I can't say i drove the car rather i "moved" it from its location in barnet all the way to Edgware road. only God knows how i didnt run anybody over ( didnt stop at the Zebra crossings), get arrested by the police or crash the car with all the Sharp braking and jerky movements behind the wheel.

I managed to get home shaken from the experience and parked the car jejely for months only showing friends my parked car i couldnt drive until I summoned enough courage to do short trips on the quiet side streets and after that to my college (the main purpose of the car was to show off to my classmates).

if you lived in london you would know how risky it was especially for a black person to drive a vehicle without an MOT, road tax or full license. It's like having "please police arrest me" written all over you.

The car ended up being towed away after it got clamped by the council the same week I wanted to sell it off, couldnt get it back because the fine was worth more than the vehicle itself. in fact the stereo in the car was worth more than the vehicle and that's all I could salvage from it.

Best £250 I've spent but if I could go back in time I would never try such a stunt again and I also realize just how irresponsible my uncle was.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by Mcweber(m): 6:29pm On May 08, 2016
MuslimPrince:
my first car was a Toyota starlet, handed over by my pman. it happened like dis, sometimes in 2012, he traveled with a friend and left his Carina e wagon at home, being a sharp guy, i had been studying how he drives it(manual suspension), I jst got d key, drive it around d compound for two minutes, I was felling fly, then I had to park it at the spot he parked it, I started sweating, manoevreing to a reverse position, then I got the bumper scratched, I jst leave am like dat. when he came back, he was angry I scratched his car. The next day, he handed me the key to the starlet which he barely drives since he bought the Carina, I was happy, started driving it within the street for four days, then I summoned the courage to drive on the main road till I became expert, and till date, I was never involved in any road accident.

What I love about d starlet is that it consume less fuel, only a little above motorcycle consumption, and its easy to maintain, low cost spare parts and rugeduty.

Four months into use, the car started changing my destiny, I was gradually becoming a mechanic (meco), there is no single day that it wount develop a fault, from plug, fuel pump, caburator over float, exhaust leakage, alignment, in fact the whole car na problem, he con ugly join.

Na one day I sleep 4 bed dey think abt d car, inspiration jst com, say if I no sell am na him go kill me. then I started looking 4 buyer, later sold it for 75k. although, pman vex say if I no want again, I suppose jst leave am 4 ground BT dat one na 'after school lesson'. since then, i dey borrow car go important place ni as I never gada buy real car, and am satisfied with ma jingcheng okada, at least 4 d time being. make ah stop here.
Hehehhehehehe!!! laff wan kill me aswear. especially the part u said the car wan change ur destiny, that really got me cracking. U for no sell the car na

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by Nobody: 7:24am On May 11, 2016
Darkchocolate:
My first car was 'dashed' to me...make no mistakes though. It was a jalopy and the person wanted to get rid of it. Lmao! I was 18 years old...I can't even remember the name cos I never drove it. Hadn't passed my driving test at the time so had to park it up for years on end. embarassed

My second car was a Grey Nissan Primera...This was my practice car...lots of bumps and bumps and more bumps. I was 20 years...I finally passed my driving test. The jalopy was still parked up in the garage blocking up space, time and matter embarassed

Anyways...the next car was a Fiat Sciecento and then a Kia Picanto...and then a Leggedise Benz and then... Danfo buses cry...and then Uber cool...and then a *big reveal*....

wink
You u too dey beh undecided
Wu asked u about 2nd car

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by Darkchocolate(f): 6:28am On May 12, 2016
bulldoza:

You u too dey beh undecided
Wu asked u about 2nd car

If I catch you eh!
Re: Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. by emmanok24(m): 8:36am On Jun 04, 2016
AgentGoat:
This your golf clean. Did you bought it as naija used or tokunbo? How much?

It was bought used Sir. It cost me 250k.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Harassing For Driver's License Serial-Number / Diy: Immobiliser Delete On Bosch Motronic Me 7.5 Ecu (audi A4 B5 Facelift) / Best Gear To Use In Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.