Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,354 members, 7,815,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? (1876 Views)

A Popular Verse In The Bible That Dont Make No Sense / What Most Pastors Says That Is Confusing / Epic Evidence From The Bible That States Jesus Is Not And Cannot Be God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 12:36pm On Apr 21, 2016
my fellow nairaland Christain peace be with you.
I have this feelings when ever I read this part of the bible Mathew chapter 6 vs 7 I usually feel guilty not doing the Wright thing

Mathew 6 vs 7 and I quote;
and when you pray,do not use vain repetition as the heathen do,for they think that the will be heard for there many words. and vs 8 continue;therefore do not be like them,for your father know the things you have needs of before you ask him.

my question is this,,,must we make same repetition of our problems whiles praying to God everyday or we should just commit it in prayer just once.

what about the part of the bible that say pray without ceasing.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by marklele(m): 3:02pm On Apr 21, 2016
God is spirit and those who worship him must worship him in truth and in spirit. when ever you pray, try to be in spirit, focus on your prayers and you will notice you weren't counting the number or words your mentioned or how your grammer was. God bless

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by frubben(m): 3:30pm On Apr 21, 2016
Th simple truth is hw u define, prayer, in defining prayer following ur write up I will say prayer in a place of asking, wic is wrong

Prayer can b define as a place of fellowship with God.

Lik wat d bible said no vein repetition, do u fellowship with someone and continue saying one tin over and over again, it not done

And the bible say pray without ceasing, please replace the pray with fellowship

Wen den hav fellowship without ceasing
Meaning be in Gods presence always

I hope dis helps
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by ayoku777(m): 4:03pm On Apr 21, 2016
naijamakossa:
I have this feelings when ever I read this part of the bible Mathew chapter 6 vs 7 I usually feel guilty not doing the Wright thing

and when you pray,do not use vain repetition as the heathen do,for they think that the will be heard for there many words. and vs 8 continue;therefore do not be like them,for your father know the things you have needs of before you ask him.

my question is this,,,must we make same repetition of our problems whiles praying to God everyday or we should just commit it in prayer just once.

Matthew 6v7 -But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

What Jesus was talking about here is that we christians should not chant our prayers like the heathens do.

Some religions like budhism can chant the same word or phrase many times during their prayers and meditations. And I've listened to muslim prayers where they chant "laila illa la" continuously for long. And there are other religions like that.

Jesus said we should not do that when we pray. That the Father does not hear us because we chant a word or repeat a phrase many times when we pray but because we ask in faith.

Ofcourse, He doesn't mean that we cannot ask the same prayer request again and again whenever we come into God's presence. Persistence and importunity is allowed in prayers, but not repetitive chanting like the heathen.

Jesus Himself prayed the same request a few times when He went into the Father's presence.

Matthew 26v39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt

44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, SAYING THE SAME WORD.

Paul also besought for the same request a few times;

2Cor 12v8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

Also, in the parable that Jesus gave to teach us to keep asking until we receive, the widow kept coming to the judge and asking the same thing.

Luke 18v3 -And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.

So persistence is allowed in prayers but not repetitive chant like pagans.

Hope this helps.

Shalom

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by analice107: 5:28pm On Apr 21, 2016
ayoku777:

Matthew 6v7 -But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

What Jesus was talking about here is that we christians should not chant our prayers like the heathens do.

Some religions like budhism can chant the same word or phrase many times during their prayers and meditations. And I've listened to muslim prayers where they chant "laila illa la" continuously for long. And there are other religions like that.

Jesus said we should not do that when we pray. That the Father does not hear us because we chant a word or repeat a phrase many times when we pray but because we ask in faith.

Ofcourse, He doesn't mean that we cannot ask the same prayer request again and again whenever we come into God's presence. Persistence and importunity is allowed in prayers, but not repetitive chanting like the heathen.

Jesus Himself prayed the same request a few times when He went into the Father's presence.

Matthew 26v39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt

44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, SAYING THE SAME WORD.

2Cor 12v8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

Also, in the parable that Jesus gave to teach us to keep asking until we receive, the widow kept coming to the judge and asking the same thing.

Luke 18v3 -And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.

Hope this helps.

Shalom
You have never faulted since I met you here.
Someone asked me this same question last week, and your answer is what I gave him.
Thank you.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 7:23pm On Apr 21, 2016
ayoku777:

Hope this helps.

Shalom
Waow u just nailed it my dear,,,are u a pastor

this keep confusing my for long now but tanx for this
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 7:34pm On Apr 21, 2016
marklele:
God is spirit and those who worship him must worship him in truth and in spirit. when ever you pray, try to be in spirit, focus on your prayers and you will notice you weren't counting the number or words your mentioned or how your grammer was. God bless
tanx my friend
somtims I used to focus on dat of the bible that said;his hand is not too short to give us wat we ask for neither is he deaf to hear when we pray.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 7:42pm On Apr 21, 2016
frubben:
Th simple truth is hw u define, prayer, in defining prayer following ur write up I will say prayer in a place of asking, wic is wrong

Prayer can b define as a place of fellowship with God.

Lik wat d bible said no vein repetition, do u fellowship with someone and continue saying one tin over and over again, it not done

And the bible say pray without ceasing, please replace the pray with fellowship

Wen den hav fellowship without ceasing
Meaning be in Gods presence always

I hope dis helps
tanx my dear
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 7:53pm On Apr 21, 2016
marklele:
ok tanx but please is there any difference between prayer and worship?
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Joagbaje(m): 2:23am On Apr 22, 2016
There are different kinds of prayers and each kinds of prayers has its own principles . The kind of prayer to be adopted depends on what you're dealing with . There is prayer of faith ,prayer of supplication , prayer or agreement ,prayer of intercession ,prayer of worship ,prayer of praise , prayer of intercession Etc .

The rule of one kind of prayer maybe contrary in another kind of prayer . Just as basket ball rule is contrary in football . For example . In a prayer of faith you only ask once and you believe it is done . If you pray again about it ,it will become umbelief but in the prayer of supplication or intercession you are allowed to prayer over and over until Victory. A book by pastor chris HOW TO PRAY EFFECTIVELY will be of help

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 11:26am On Apr 22, 2016
Joagbaje:
There are different kinds of prayers and each kinds of prayers has its own principles . The kind of prayer to be adopted depends on what you're dealing with . There is prayer of faith ,prayer of supplication , prayer or agreement ,prayer of intercession ,prayer of worship ,prayer of praise , prayer of intercession Etc .

The rule of one kind of prayer maybe contrary in another kind of prayer . Just as basket ball rule is contrary in football . For example . In a prayer of faith you only ask once and you believe it is done . If you pray again about it ,it will become umbelief but in the prayer of supplication or intercession you are allowed to prayer over and over until Victory. A book by pastor chris HOW TO PRAY EFFECTIVELY will be of help
ok like a woman seeking for a fruit of womb can be classified in the prayer of supplication because she keeps praying till she is pregnant,what about if she pray once with faith and after ten yrs no sign what happens to her faith?
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by ypeace: 11:47am On Apr 22, 2016
ayoku777:

Hope this helps.

Shalom
Lailaha illalah is not a prayer. At least try and be honest, and get your facts right when referring to other faiths.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2016
ypeace:

Lailaha illalah is not a prayer. At least try and be honest, and get your facts right when referring to other faiths.
hmmmm
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 12:20pm On Apr 22, 2016
ypeace:

which religion are u?
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by ypeace: 12:28pm On Apr 22, 2016
naijamakossa:
which religion are u?
I am not a religion.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 12:48pm On Apr 22, 2016
ypeace:

I am not a religion.
you are not a religious and wat u doin in religion section
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by ypeace: 12:54pm On Apr 22, 2016
naijamakossa:
you are not a religious and wat u doin in religion section

I never stated that I am not a RELIGIOUS, I stated that I am not a RELIGION. I came to religion section to read and comment on some of the things that are there.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 12:58pm On Apr 22, 2016
ypeace:

I never stated that I am not a RELIGIOUS, I stated that I am not a RELIGION. I came to religion section to read and comment on some of the things that are there.
just because of ur first comment dus y I asked u dat question
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 22, 2016
naijamakossa:

You can pray and repeat ur problem to God, but the repetition shouldn't be a "vain one". that is, a recitation or repeating statements in prayer that is not from the heart. When u shout, "amen amen amen amen" some pastors say shout it ten times, and u proceed. those repetitions and shouting is needless. God heard the first one. And you need not shout it as if he was deaf to hear u.

Don't pray by rote, that's the point.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 1:47pm On Apr 22, 2016
JMAN05:

You can pray and repeat ur problem to God, but the repetition shouldn't be a "vain one". that is, a recitation or repeating statements in prayer that is not from the heart. When u shout, "amen amen amen amen" some pastors say shout it ten times, and u proceed. those repetitions and shouting is needless. God heard the first one. And you need not shout it as if he was deaf to hear u.

Don't pray by rote, that's the point.
LOL I wish pastors will see this ur comment and stop stressing the congregation with unmeaningful repetitions same words

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by God2man(m): 3:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
ayoku777:

Hope this helps.

Shalom

Exactly.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Joagbaje(m): 4:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
naijamakossa:
ok like a woman seeking for a fruit of womb can be classified in the prayer of supplication because she keeps praying till she is pregnant,what about if she pray once with faith and after ten yrs no sign what happens to her faith?

The word of God had made provision for fruit of the womb. Such a woman need to claim what is hers consistently . It's not a case to pray to God for. There are matters we talk to God about,there are matters we speak to the situation and there are matters we talk to the devil and demons in rebuke and authority .
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by marklele(m): 4:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
naijamakossa:
ok tanx but please is there any difference between prayer and worship?

prayer is a direct communication to God almighty. pouring out your heart to him and telling him your worries.

worship is an act or a situation in which one experience the presence of God the father, the son and the holy spirit. when you worship God in truth always, you get the chance to feel his existence. God bless you
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Peritus(m): 7:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
Op, someone had already done justice to ur question. The Bible gave example of the heathens and how they pray, and unfortunately some groups in Christianity pray the same way. This is when you have to repeat the same word or phrase severally as a form of prayer and not when you ask the same thing severally.
What the verse is saying is that your repetition does not intensify your prayer, neither does it force it into God's ears. When you pray, don't craft your prayers into certain words, don't keep saying a particular thing to draw God's attention, speak to Him as you speak to your father.
How do you discuss with your earthly father? Do you keep saying, "buy me a car! buy me a car! buy me a car! buy me a car!?" You can imaging how annoying you would sound. Do you think that you earthly father listens to you more than God? No.
However, you can still ask you dad for it a number of times, like reminder... you can still have a thirty minutes chat with him on the same subject (purchase of car).
Pay attention to the word "vain" before "repetition". When you vainly repeat, it means you are just chanting not praying.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
Christians today still pray vainly. We could have someone ask for more than a single thing in just one prayer.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Peritus(m): 8:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
lordnicklaus:
Christians today still pray vainly. We could have someone ask for more than a single thing in just one prayer.
So is this kind of prayer vain? Asking for more than one thing in a single prayer is not just usual but ideal. Check the Lord's prayer. Vain repetition is like chanting a word or line. When you are chanting, you are not communicating.
Christ is saying that he does not have hard hearing syndrome. He hears even our deepest thought. That's why you can pray without speaking a word.
It does not mean that one should rather be counting his words or statement while praying. Just don't pray with crafted repetitive lines. It is even advised that you don't form pattern so as to allow a free flow of discussion, and to allow your spirit to be directed. Pray with your heart... just as you don't discuss with your dad using patterns.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Joagbaje(m): 12:50am On Apr 23, 2016
naijamakossa:

In some matters we address God in prayer

In some matters we address The devil in prayer

In some matters we address The situation in prayer

For the case of the fruit of the womb. For the fact that the word of God has made provision for us. All the woman need do is to accept by making consistent declarations daily that she has her baby. But There are other issues . It may be a demonic case . That require to be cast out. Some women who experience tunes like spirit husband stuff may need a minister to cast it out . .
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by waldigit: 1:44am On Apr 23, 2016
ayoku777:

Hope this helps.

Shalom

Flesh and Blood has not revealed that. Thanks and God Bless you
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 10:35am On Apr 23, 2016
Peritus:
Op, someone had already done justice to ur question. The Bible gave example of the heathens and how they pray, and unfortunately some groups in Christianity pray the same way. This is when you have to repeat the same word or phrase severally as a form of prayer and not when you ask the same thing severally.
For instance, you may be asked to say 'alleluia' 12 times in the morning and 12 times in the evening. Some ministers will tell you to say "I reject it in Jesus name" 7 times after a bad dream. This is not the right way to pray. It negates communication in spirit. It's like saying meaningless riddles.
What the verse is saying is that your repetition does not intensify your prayer, neither does it force it into God's ears. When you pray, don't craft your prayers into certain words, don't keep saying a particular thing to draw God's attention, speak to Him as you speak to your father.
How do you discuss with your earthly father? Do you keep saying, "buy me a car! buy me a car! buy me a car! buy me a car!?" You can imaging how annoying you would sound. Do you think that you earthly father listens to you more than God? No.
However, you can still ask you dad for it a number of times, like reminder... you can still have a thirty minutes chat with him on the same subject (purchase of car).
Pay attention to the word "vain" before "repetition". When you vainly repeat, it means you are just chanting not praying.
guy u try ooo,,tank u
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:36am On Apr 23, 2016
The problem is not repetition, the problem is 'vain' repetition, there are several repetitions in the bible, the book of psalm have prayers dat involve repetition, d torah comands d jews to repeat the schema o israel...etc. the problem is when it become vain, when u becomes repetition for d sake of repetition, a prayer that isnt meant, isnt from d heart, or even out of pride, that is a vain prayer and we must avoid such.
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by naijamakossa(m): 10:39am On Apr 23, 2016
lordnicklaus:
so u dey ask for only one thing when praying to God LOL
Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Part Of The Bible That Is Confusing Me? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
naijamakossa:
so u dey ask for only one thing when praying to God LOL

I meant asking for something more than once. And if they ask for more than a single thing, they ask everytime.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does God's Actions Never Yield A Positive Result? / To Those Who Couldn't Believe In The Person Of Christ Jesus / Gospel Hall: Evangelistic Messages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.