Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Fake Microsoft Certified Technicians I Met Online: Beware!! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Fake Microsoft Certified Technicians I Met Online: Beware!! (1043 Views)

Beware This New Gmail Scam That Is Tricking Even Tech-savvy Users / Computer Technicians : Please Read / Mcdorsey Training On Phone And Laptop Repairs Is A Scam Please Beware!!!!!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake Microsoft Certified Technicians I Met Online: Beware!! by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 21, 2016
I installed Office 2016 which could not work because I didn't have the correct key. It integrated itself with Office 2013 that was already working in my computer and made it invalid. I could no longer use any of the Office packages. I can't work on Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.

I decided to Uninstall the Office 2016 but it refused to go. It keeps reporting error 30180-4. I did not want to start deleting the files manually from Programs folder. I went online to look for the best solution of removing this Office and reinstall my 2013 version.

I came across what looked like Microsoft Office support Center with the solution I needed to Uninstall the application. However, when I tried their solution, it didn't work. I went back to the page to follow a pop up window that offered a live chat with their technicians. I was able to connect to them.

The technician, Rose, requested to connect to my computer to assist me deal with the problem. "She" sent me a link to a program "LogMeIn" that I downloaded to give her access to my computer. Before I did that I considered that there is nothing too secret or important in my computer that requires too much security.

After every thing they guy started asking me to pay some amount in dollars. I had to log out. I have discovered after that, that my computer is no longer working well as pop-ups keep springing up and taking over my browser. Now I am searching for better Antivirus to treat the new problem. I am also changing my email password because I don't know what they might have done on my system through the remote control.

I have learned my lesson. Beware!!

Bellow is my chat with the technician called Rose.

"2:10 PM Connecting...
2:10 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
2:10 PM Support session established with Tech..

2:10 PM Customer: Hello Rose
2:11 PM Customer: ...are you there?

2:11 PM You have granted full permission to Tech.. To revoke, click the red X on the toolbar or press Pause/Break on the keyboard.
2:11 PM Remote Control started by Tech..

2:11 PM Tech.: Hi dear
2:11 PM Tech.: Yes i am here.
2:12 PM Tech.: I'm able to view your screen now.
2:12 PM Customer: Hope you still remember the problem is uninstalling Office 2016 trial?
2:13 PM Tech.: Coould you Please show me the exact issue once.?
2:14 PM Customer: I tried to uninstall Office 2016 but it not sucessfull. It prompts error 30180-4
2:14 PM Tech.: Okay. Let me go ahead and have a check on the issue.
2:29 PM Tech.: I would like to let you know that the Microsoft Office Suite is working perfectly fine.
2:29 PM Tech.: I see that this issue is related to the corrupt system files and invalid registry values.
2:29 PM Tech.: The problem here is that, when the program tries to run, it is not able to write to the system files and registy keys.
2:29 PM Customer: So whats is the way out
2:30 PM Customer: I want to go back to Office 2013 I was using initially
2:30 PM Tech.: To correct this, we will have to fix each and every registry key and system files associated.
2:30 PM Tech.: Also, we will be running an advanced level of security check and fix to ensure that your computer has no threats which has hacked any security programs in your computer.
2:31 PM Tech.: Since we will have to invest in several IT resources like tools, man hours and installing the driver to fix these issues, we do have a charge for our service to get this done, issues resolved, and to safeguard the computer in future.
2:31 PM Customer: so...
2:32 PM Tech.: The onetime fee to fix this issue with Internet explorer and other errors will be just $149.99 USD. However, you can get multiple issues down the line, I suggest you to go with the 1 year plan ($199.99) which is not only fix the current issue but also will cover all your computer related issues for 1 complete year.
2:32 PM Tech.: We make sure that the issues are completely fixed or you get a refund any time.
2:33 PM Customer: Ok
2:33 PM Customer: What is the name of your comapny and how can this payment be made
2:34 PM Tech.: We are Microsoft Certified technicians. We have provided you the support articles to fix the issues by yourself. Since, you contacted us to have dedicated assistance and support, you are connected to us via live chat. These services are being rendered by PC Geek Fix service technicians, experienced to handle the issues.
2:34 PM Tech.: The payment can be done through online.
2:36 PM Tech.: Let me go ahead and open the page where you can make the payment.

2:36 PM Tech. has sent a link: https://quickclick.com/r/kygdz

2:38 PM Customer: What exactly are you fixing and what tools are you supplying (Using) to solve this.
2:39 PM Tech.: we will be using a combination of customized scripts, manual steps and advanced threat detection applications to fix the issue.
2:39 PM Tech.: We will also be using the logmein built in scripts to run the fixing tools at the backend.
2:40 PM Tech.: We also use free tools to help tune-up the pc from your end. Running them once a while will aoid a lot of issues.
2:40 PM Customer: ok. thanks"
Re: Fake Microsoft Certified Technicians I Met Online: Beware!! by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 21, 2016
Hackers nd fake niggas evrywhere. Nxt time, u can post d problem here.
I once had a problem wit installation nd uninstallation of MS office 2016, dat has been settled, I even use d most recent or updated version of office 2016. Its so nice, u knw d advantage of using ofice 2013 nd 2016 s dat u can open pdf file wit any of the ofice suite.

1 Like

Re: Fake Microsoft Certified Technicians I Met Online: Beware!! by shawlxAk(m): 7:19pm On Apr 21, 2016
Lol.. But you reached out to them for help. They didn't lure you. Did you expect them to provide you with remote support for free?

It is wrong to conclude that they are fake, although they exaggerated too much. Most insincere tech support people do that -- from computer techs to auto mechanics etc. They also intentionally break things just to make the problem look more serious.

The only issue is that they requested payment in advance and you had no guaranty. Nonetheless, they also had no guaranty that you would pay after service.

System Restore will fix your issue. Press Windows key + R > Type rstrui > Follow the steps to restore your computer to a previous OK state.

GennyO:
I installed Office 2016 which could not work because I didn't have the correct key. It integrated itself with Office 2013 that was already working in my computer and made it invalid. I could no longer use any of the Office packages. I can't work on Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
I decided to Uninstall the Office 2016 but it refused to go. It keeps reporting error 30180-4. I did not want to start deleting the files manually from Programs folder. I went online to look for the best solution of removing this Office and reinstall my 2013 version.
I came across what looked like Microsoft Office support Center with the solution I needed to Uninstall the application. However, when I tried their solution, it didn't work. I went back to the page to follow a pop up window that offered a live chat with their technicians. I was able to connect to them.
The technician, Rose, requested to connect to my computer to assist me deal with the problem. "She" sent me a link to a program "LogMeIn" that I downloaded to give her access to my computer. Before I did that I considered that there is nothing too secret or important in my computer that requires too much security.
After every thing they guy started asking me to pay some amount in dollars. I had to log out. I have discovered after that, that my computer is no longer working well as pop-ups keep springing up and taking over my browser. Now I am searching for better Antivirus to treat the new problem. I am also changing my email password because I don't know what they might have done on my system through the remote control.
2:11 PM You have granted full permission to Tech.. To revoke, click the red X on the toolbar or press Pause/Break on the keyboard.
2:12 PM Customer: Hope you still remember the problem is uninstalling Office 2016 trial?
2:14 PM Customer: I tried to uninstall Office 2016 but it not sucessfull. It prompts error 30180-4
2:29 PM Tech.: I would like to let you know that the Microsoft Office Suite is working perfectly fine.
2:29 PM Tech.: I see that this issue is related to the corrupt system files and invalid registry values.
2:29 PM Tech.: The problem here is that, when the program tries to run, it is not able to write to the system files and registy keys.
2:30 PM Tech.: To correct this, we will have to fix each and every registry key and system files associated.
2:30 PM Tech.: Also, we will be running an advanced level of security check and fix to ensure that your computer has no threats which has hacked any security programs in your computer.
2:31 PM Tech.: Since we will have to invest in several IT resources like tools, man hours and installing the driver to fix these issues, we do have a charge for our service to get this done, issues resolved, and to safeguard the computer in future.
2:32 PM Tech.: The onetime fee to fix this issue with Internet explorer and other errors will be just $149.99 USD. However, you can get multiple issues down the line, I suggest you to go with the 1 year plan ($199.99) which is not only fix the current issue but also will cover all your computer related issues for 1 complete year.
2:32 PM Tech.: We make sure that the issues are completely fixed or you get a refund any time.
2:33 PM Customer: What is the name of your comapny and how can this payment be made
2:34 PM Tech.: We are Microsoft Certified technicians. We have provided you the support articles to fix the issues by yourself. Since, you contacted us to have dedicated assistance and support, you are connected to us via live chat. These services are being rendered by PC Geek Fix service technicians, experienced to handle the issues.
2:36 PM Tech.: Let me go ahead and open the page where you can make the payment.
2:38 PM Customer: What exactly are you fixing and what tools are you supplying (Using) to solve this.
2:39 PM Tech.: we will be using a combination of customized scripts, manual steps and advanced threat detection applications to fix the issue.
2:39 PM Tech.: We will also be using the logmein built in scripts to run the fixing tools at the backend.
2:40 PM Tech.: We also use free tools to help tune-up the pc from your end. Running them once a while will aoid a lot of issues.
Re: Fake Microsoft Certified Technicians I Met Online: Beware!! by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
shawlxAk:
Lol.. But you reached out to them for help. They didn't lure you. Did you expect them to provide you with remote support for free?
It is wrong to conclude that they are fake, although they exaggerated too much. Most insincere tech support people do that -- from computer techs to auto mechanics etc. They also intentionally break things just to make the problem look more serious.
The only issue is that they requested payment in advance and you had no guaranty. Nonetheless, they also had no guaranty that you would pay after service.
System Restore will fix your issue. Press Windows key + R > Type rstrui > Fo[code][/code]llow the steps to restore your computer to a previous OK state.

I believe they are fake. How could she say that the office installation was working fine. Even when I knew it was not working.
Re: Fake Microsoft Certified Technicians I Met Online: Beware!! by Lexusgs430: 11:42pm On Apr 21, 2016
GennyO:

If you had posted your laptops issue on nairaland before seeking remote assistance, it could have been easily sorted.

(1) (Reply)

Help,help, Am In Seriouse Problem / Hot Deal And Super Neat Toshiba Satellite A660 16Z Corei5 4gig 500hdd / Need A Good Laptop For Programming And Gaming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.