Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,178 members, 7,829,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

How To Start A Snail Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start A Snail Farming (6968 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria – Benefits, Advantages, Facts About Snail Farming / Invest In Snail Farming Within 6 Months Harvest / Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Snail Farming by marketresearch: 6:02pm On Apr 23, 2016
In the past, the only way to get snails was to go into the bush and gardens to hunt them after a rainfall or at night. This was because most people did not know that snails could be reared domestically just like poultry and animals like chickens and goat. Snail farming is a very interesting business not just because it’s a highly profitable business, but because it is easy and fun.

1. Location and environment of your snail farm

The best environment to situate your snail farm is a low plain, downhill site. The farm should not be exposed to excessive wind because too much wind would dry out and dehydrate your snails. It is best to have trees like banana or plantain planted around your snail farm.

Snails cannot be reared on concrete floors. The floor of your snailery must be made up of balanced soil, Soil that is not too dry and not waterlogged either. You should also make sure the soil of your snail farm is not acidic or clayey as this may be harmful to the snails.

The best soil for rearing snails is a sandy-loamy soil that has low water retention. The soil of your snail farm is highly critical to the growth and survival of the snails because snails derive calcium used for forming its shell from the soil. It also gets its water from the soil and lays its eggs on soil.

Depending on the scale of snail farming you want to go into, your snails can be reared in a large covered box if you are considering small scale snail farming, or in a concrete pen with soil flooring if you want to rear snails on a large scale.

The soil should be about 10 inches deep and you should use fresh leaves or wet clothes to control the temperature of your snailery. To protect your snails from predators and pests like snakes, rats and termites, you should make a barbed wire fence around your snail’s pen.

2. Learn everything you can about snails

3. Conduct feasibility study

4. Prepare a business plan

5. Sourcing for snails

You would need some snails to start up your snail farm and you must ensure that they are fertile and in perfect condition. The best place to source for your initial stock is in the bushes.

Snails gotten directly from their natural habitat are in the best condition because they have not been exposed to too much sunlight which would dehydrate them and make them less fertile.

If you feel getting snails from the bush would be too much of a stress for you, then you can buy snail eggs from the market and cover them up with cocoyam leaves in a plastic bowl with wet sand in it and leave them to hatch.

The hatching process would take about 21-28 days then you can start feeding and taking care of your baby snails and watch your snails multiply in numbers because snails reproduce fast and in large numbers.

Before you rush off to the market to get your snail eggs, you should know about the different species of snails and which ones are best for rearing.

6. Marketing your snails

7. Snail feeding

Snails are very versatile feeders. They can feed on anything from leaves to fruits. Snails can feed on cocoyam leaves, cassava and okra leaves, cabbage, lettuce, pawpaw as well as eggplant leaves.

Snails can also feed on fruits like mangoes, banana, pawpaw, tomatoes and pears.

It is important that you feed your snails with the right food that would support tissue growth and supply calcium needed to grow their shells.

There are specially formulated snail feed in the market that you can use to feed your snails for improved growth and productivity.

8. Harvesting your snails

When harvesting your snails, it is important to handle them carefully. You can harvest them into clean plastic containers, baskets, bowls, or in a box to be carried to the point of sale.

Do not overload the containers. 10 kg in each container is just okay so that the snails don’t get hurt or stressed.

https://ekoconnect.net/2016/04/start-snail-farm-business/

Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by marketresearch: 7:42pm On Apr 25, 2016
If you dont start it, you cant achieve nothing
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by cleavon(m): 8:09pm On Apr 25, 2016
From your pix...what specie of snail is that
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Baroba(m): 10:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
cleavon:
From your pix...what specie of snail is that

Tiger snail Archatina Archatina..

Nice blog Odira.. If you guys are interested I have a comprehensive PDF copy from Agromisa Netherlands on snail farming that focuses on West Africa.. Its an amazing document, thorough and well researched. Some of you might have seen it..
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by invinzible1: 11:02pm On Apr 25, 2016
Another online snail farmer that does not know a shiit about snail farming.. Coming here to say nonsense.. Iraaaaaanu
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Baroba(m): 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2016
invinzible1:
Another online snail farmer that does not know a shiit about snail farming.. Coming here to say nonsense.. Iraaaaaanu

Why do you have to insult him, did he call you out by any chance.. He just opened a thread on snail farming to educate on the benefits of snail rearing, do you know whether he farms snail or not..

Since you know " shit about snail farming " why don't you come up with something" instead of insults..

Honestly Nigerians are a ' special' breed, able to start an argument in an empty room, please if you have nothing to contribute just skip to the next thread..

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by cleavon(m): 4:53pm On Apr 26, 2016
invinzible1:

Nobody called out..if u ve something beta u can come out with it..it seems u d one even in the dip shit... I see YOMI
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by cleavon(m): 4:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
Baroba:

Nice blog Odira.. If you guys are interested I have a comprehensive PDF copy from Agromisa Netherlands on snail farming that focuses on West Africa.. Its an amazing document, thorough and well researched. Some of you might have seen it..

Thanks bro
Please send to amidiagbe@gmail.com
Am interested
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by orlard3(m): 5:02pm On Apr 26, 2016
Baroba:

Pls send to me .... orlard3@gamil.com
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by orlard3(m): 5:03pm On Apr 26, 2016
Baroba:

Pls send to me .... orlard3@gmail.com
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by cleavon(m): 5:08pm On Apr 26, 2016
Baroba:

Thanks
Pls am interested. Send to amidiagbe@gmail.com
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Baroba(m): 5:55pm On Apr 26, 2016
Check your emails...enjoy
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Gbengawate(m): 7:29pm On Apr 26, 2016
Baroba:

I am interested. please send to Watergatengr@yahoo.com
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Danoluwa(m): 8:52pm On Apr 26, 2016
i am interested. danfad04@yahoo.com
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Baroba(m): 9:43pm On Apr 26, 2016
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=snail+breeding+pdf&oq=snail&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j69i61j69i60l2j5.2155j0j4&client=ms-android-oneplus&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Follow the link, and click on the Google site I screen shot, you should get a direct pdf download..

I think its better that way..

Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by marketresearch: 9:59am On Apr 27, 2016
snail farming all the way
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by invinzible1: 3:07pm On Apr 27, 2016
Baroba:

Why do you have to insult him, did he call you out by any chance.. He just opened a thread on snail farming to educate on the benefits of snail rearing, do you know whether he farms snail or not..

Since you know " shit about snail farming " why don't you come up with something" instead of insults..

Honestly Nigerians are a ' special' breed, able to start an argument in an empty room, please if you have nothing to contribute just skip to the next thread..

Nobody also called you out.. Mr brainy
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by invinzible1: 3:09pm On Apr 27, 2016
cleavon:

Nobody called out..if u ve something beta u can come out with it..it seems u d one even in the dip shit... I see YOMI

Wisdom is profitable to direct.. All I know is that he is an online snail farmer. Quote me again
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by invinzible1: 3:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
marketresearch:
snail farming all the way

I know you are one of those online farmers. Hmmm. Don't lead people astray
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Baroba(m): 12:54am On Apr 28, 2016
invinzible1:

Nobody also called you out.. Mr brainy

Like I initially thought, you have nothing to contribute.. Mr Offline farmer, Abeg shift..
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by orlard3(m): 9:26am On Apr 28, 2016
Baroba:

Like I initially thought, you have nothing to contribute.. Mr Offline farmer, Abeg shift..

I av dat manual u sent...... Where is ur farm location.
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by marketresearch: 10:17am On Apr 28, 2016
Hello, This is the reason why African is so backward, Its because of people like you. If you google snail farming, 99% of the result you get will be from white men, at the end of the day its not fully applicable to you here in Nigeria. And someone took out his time to go ahead and research this information for free without any cost to you and without any misinformation about how the business runs and see what you came up to post. Its amazing how social media and internet has made people so rude and disrespectful.

invinzible1:
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by zadokade: 11:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
Please do send the pdf version of the report to iaadeleye@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by invinzible1: 6:43am On Apr 29, 2016
[quote author=marketresearch post=45083243]snail farming all the way[/quote
You know you got no snail farm why deceive people.. Please practice what you say. You can't give what you don't have.
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by invinzible1: 6:46am On Apr 29, 2016
I don't have anything to say. It's obvious you don't have anything to offer than pdf. Mr pdf snail farmer
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by fayahsoul: 4:32pm On Apr 29, 2016
Baroba:

i followed the link but it's not down loading. pls forward your copy to fayahsoul7@gmail.com.
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by marketresearch: 9:48am On May 09, 2016
Avoid people that will try exploiting you with ebooks
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by asha01: 11:28am On May 09, 2016
Baroba:

please send the PDF copy from Agromisa Netherlands to me at
bsnet2002@gmail.com
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by ayanbaba2(m): 2:40pm On May 09, 2016
sayangunna@gmail.com thanks
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by heezey(m): 6:14am On Oct 01, 2016
Are you interested in Snail farming?
Click here to discover the success secret of snail farmers that no one talks about: Snail farming In Nigeria: Exposing the hidden secrets
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by mediang: 11:11am On Sep 25, 2017
Re: How To Start A Snail Farming by Tony818(m): 10:46am On Sep 27, 2017
Learn more about snail farming on this site http://informationhive.com.ng/snail-farming-in-nigeria/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fish Farming / Tarpaulin Fish Pond In Nigeria(call 08032263397) / Nigeria Set To Overtake Ivory Coast, Ghana On Cocoa Sustainability

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.