Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,737 members, 7,844,427 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? (883 Views)

Santeria: A Religion From Yoruba Practiced In North Caribbean, USA, Mexico / "Every Gang Up Against Christianity In Nigeria Will Not Stand" - Oyedepo Prays / An Athiest View/arguement Against Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 23, 2016
Yesterday, I arrived in my Lagos. My uncle's house at Ipaja is directly in front of a mosque. From 4.30 A.M. till now I have not been sleeping. Yes. No peace for me. My uncle and wife said they'd tried to reason with the mosque authorities, every month last year to no avail.
The loudspeakers from the mosque were doubled on Thursday. The noise of prayer is so loud that my uncle's wife jolted from her prayer. There may be a health concern here.
The preacher is regarded as a MAN of God and always has his way in the area.

There's a charismatic church before mechanic bus stop, not far from where am hosted. By 5.00A.M. today, they were saying "don't live in sin, sin is a cancer". This was repeated up to 10 dozen times. I can't sleep, so I had to go to Freddy guest house in order to get some rest.

The noise from the two groups were usually timed and very annoying. Plus I don't need any of the info. I don't understand arabic and I certainly need to sleep until 6.00A.M.

I thought Lagos is better than the northern states, where Islamic and political oppression has been accepted.

I understand that the Ministry of The Environment and another agency, Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), has at one time been clamping down on some of the centres said to be perpetrating noise and thereby braking the law on noise pollution.

But here is why I decided to construct this post: My hotel manager said the law in Lagos is being used against Christian churches. He said I would not go far with the authorities in Lagos, if my complaints is against a mosque or an islamic movement

In fact my uncle said on his last visit to the mosque to complain, the imam said, if he and his wife converted to Islam, all their complaints would disappear.

Is there any Nairalander who knows how to solve this sort of issues with the best results?

Help me and my 73 year-old uncle!
There may be a health concern here!

May the ever noise-less but ever outspoken God guide U all.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by saintgoogle(m): 10:24pm On Apr 23, 2016
cry
Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by dominique(f): 10:43pm On Apr 23, 2016
I'm still yet to understand how the mosque is being favored over the church. Is it that the church was fined and the mosque was left alone to disturb the peace? You're there grumbling and listening to rumours, did you bother to ask what the community is doing to curb the noise coming from both worship houses? You're just here to sow seeds of hate and discord, is that what Christ taught you?

1 Like

Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by MrAligator: 10:54pm On Apr 23, 2016
if Lagos state government was being sincere on clamping down on noise pollution those whose duty it is will be working as as early as 5 a.m and as late as 12 midnight cause here in surulere once its 5:30 a.m i'll hear more than five different mosques(no more sleeping o) and once its 12 midnight on last friday the churches take over.so much for laws.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by lekkie073(m): 5:26am On Apr 24, 2016
MrAligator:
if Lagos state government was being sincere on clamping down on noise pollution those whose duty it is will be working as as early as 5 a.m and as late as 12 midnight cause here in surulere once its 5:30 a.m i'll hear more than five different mosques(no more sleeping o) and once its 12 midnight on last friday the churches take over.so much for laws.
in my own part of surulere, mosques dont use the outside gramophone again since the time some mosques have being locked up by govt. d churches......we no dey even hear dem at all grin
Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 24, 2016
lekkie073:
in my own part of surulere, mosques dont use the outside gramophone again since the time some mosques have being locked up by govt. d churches......we no dey even hear dem at all grin
How una take do am?
Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by Greatzeus(m): 7:55am On Apr 24, 2016
Op don't let Satan use you as he has been using many to cause division on nairaland.What you post up there is total crap and your topic is misleading.Ambode is a christian,he has closed and fine lots of religious houses,both churches and mosques,especially in island and its environs,they can't catch every offender overnight,there so buildings in Lagos.
My house is far from any mosque,but surrounded by churches who still ignore the Lagos state law on noise pollution,you see the govt can't get all offenders at once.
Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 24, 2016
A Nairalander pointed this article to me right now:

In many low-density areas like Ikorodu, Epe, Lekki, Mushin, Bariga, Shomolu, Suru-Lere, Ajegunle, amongst others, hotel and beer parlour operators usually engage the services of the disc jockeys that, in many cases, play till dawn.
Some, who spoke to The Guardian on the condition of anonymous, believe that neither the Ministry nor LASEPA bears its torch light on these sets of people.
But if the anger against inactivity on hotels and beer parlous receive little or no condemnation, the same cannot be said about religious organizations. “For instance, since 2009 when the provision against noise pollution was made available, our investigation shows that the number of churches that were closed down outnumbered that of mosques”, observed a member of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Lagos Branch, who spoke with The Guardian on the condition of anonymity.
For example, in 2009, the Lagos State Government has shut down a parish of the Redeemed Christian Church of God and two parishes of Mountain of Fire Miracles Church, MFM.
In February 2012, LASEPA shut down seven churches for violating the law on environmental pollution. The churches, which fell by LASEPA’s axe, include the Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Ministry; Bible Church, FESTAC; the Branch of Christ Church, Oregun; Assemblies of God Church, Ikeja; Golden Gate Church, Ifako-Ijaiye and Seek and Save Ministry, Abule Egba.
In May 2012, churches affected included the Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Mission Church, Anthony Village; Christ Chosen Church, Onipanu and Evangelical Apostolic Church, while two mosques, Darusalam Mosque at Sabo, Yaba and Ayegbesin Mosque at Mafoluku, Oshodi were included.
In January 2014 The Transfiguration and Solution Bible Church, which was accused of noise pollution, sealed off few days after some residents on Sebanjo Street, in the Mushin area of Lagos, complained of sleepless nights due to the church’s frequent night prayers.
Only about three weeks ago, another church, Sunrise Cathedral church located at 25, Oluwaseyi Street in Ikotun, also was shut down on the allegation that the church frequently conducts its services in “a noisy manner”.
But prior to the closure, the Church had complained of the threats coming from a neighboring mosque. In its petition to the General Manager, Lagos State Building Control Agency, weeks before the closure, Sunrise Evangelical Mission [SUNEM] INC. complained of how the mosque was perpetrating noise and thereby infringing on its right.
According to the petition signed by the General Overseer of the Church, Pastor Adebayo Olatunji, the church says that “A building that is yet to be occupied is erected in the plot of land beside the sunrise cathedral and about two months ago, a mosque operated by some group of ruffians surfaced by the wall with horn speaker shouting ‘alawakuba’ into the church auditorium at any time of the day, from 5am to about 9pm sometimes it is the voices of nursery school pupils from the mushroom Islamic school the children of their sponsor are running in their house about three buildings away one hears shouting ‘ alawakuba’ with reckless abandonment, obviously practicing what they have learnt in their Arabic school.
Olatunji added “After the Sunrise Cathedral, on another plot of land, is my own residence where I have my study. You can understand the torture the miscreants give me spiritually and intellectually, in the name of practicing religion. Muslim fanatics have said recently that they don’t want Christians in Adamawa state you and I know the gruesome macabre f Islamic fanatics in Borno state is writhing today. We could all recollect the harrowing experiences of Mugadishu, Bujumbura, Cairo etc. these people in question are not our match in any material thinking; but the way they are becoming daring more and more every day shows. According to the pastor Adebayo We know very well that they are known for violence; but I can assured you that the sunrise Evangelical Mission will give them double reprisal for every offensive they may launch. Our religion preaches peace that is why we are forbearing now. We shall not forbear for too long in this minacious matter. But you can salvage the situation now by coming to abate the nuisance. A stitch in time saves nine”, the General Overseer of the Church added.
But the State’s Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, has countered the allegation. He had said: “Upon the receipt of complaints on noise pollution from the church, our officers had gone to carry out monitoring exercise in the premises with a view to encouraging abatement of the nuisance. However, the Pastor of the Church and his wife not only prevented them from doing this, but manhandled and also succeeded in locking them up for up to three hours.
“ For the wisdom of the driver who called and informed the office these officers would have remained in the church custody. It took the intervention of the Task Force on Environmental Offences to secure their release.”
Bello who emphasized that the state government would not tolerate environmental abuses, urged all to carry out their businesses and activities with respect for the rights of others.
“For the erring Sunrise Cathedral”, he said, “the church would be made to respect the laws as no individual or organization had the right to take the laws into their own hands”, said Bello, saying that everybody has the duty to protect the environment.
It would be recalled that Lagos government had in June 2009 come out with a law banning religious organisations from using external loudspeakers during worship. Music shops were also told to reduce the noise of music from their shops.
At that time, LASEPA General Manager, Mr. Adebola Shabi had met with religious bodies and music shops operating in the state and impressed it on them to obey the new order, which he said was creating nuisance to other residents of the state.
Apparently, when it was noticed that the order was not obeyed, forcing the state government to sign a memorandum of understanding, MoU with the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Lagos State branch in July 2010.
The agreement allows religious organisations to control the noise emanating from their worship centres to what was regarded as “nationally acceptable limit of 55 decibels, db” during the day and 45 db at night. Following this, churches and mosques in the state were directed to immediately remove all external speakers from their worship centres.
The churches shutdown, were the ones allegedly refused to obey the order.
However, Lagos resident are divided on the imperatives of government action. A resident in Ikorodu, David Adigun accused government of bias. His words: “Did the Lagos State government shut churches down because of noise or because those in the authorities are Muslims? There are many mosques that produce more noise than churches, especially in the early hours of the day, but much more during Ramadan when mosques usually play Quran citations.
Another resident, Tukunbo Adetutu said the Muslims’ call to prayer is early in the morning and gives enough disturbances. “Streets (and) roads are covered with mats during their jumat services even right inside Oshodi Market; so why must government’s hammer descend on only churches?” She queried.
Besides, there are record stores that play music, blaring noise day and night, without the attention of government officials.
However, some Christians supported noise control. Pastor Abraham Alao, a member of Deeper Life Bible Church, while supported government’s action on noise pollution, said hardly one could witness any of the branches where loud speaker is mounted outside the church. “Even, during our night vigils, we don’t use loud speaker”, said Alao
Another Christian leader, Rev. Moses Adekunle stated that there is no need to imply sentiment to the order. “I am a minister of God, but to say the truth, more Christians are culprits. It is as if we are competing to make noise.”
At the peak of the controversy over the law, President of an Islamic group, Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, Dr Ishaq Akintola, also condemned the use of external loud speakers during religious worship.
Akinola noted that the use of public address system had been grossly abused in churches and mosques particularly in the past 10 years. According to him, Lagos used to be a sane society where people slept peacefully and researched without let or hindrance but regretted that religious overzealousness has gripped Lagosians.
While noting that no civilized country in the world allows such confusion in its society, Dr Akinlolu said the MURIC was in total support of the Lagos State action on the ban of the use of loud speakers and musical instruments during religious service
The laws proposed for amendment include the Lagos State Physical Development Regulation 2005, the Land Use Pattern and the Noise Pollution Control Policy.
The Noise Pollution Control Policy wants those concerned, especially churches and mosques, to desist from the use of externally placed speakers as well as refrain from the use of horn speakers within their premises.
It also prescribes that they observe night vigils once a month without musical instruments so as not to disturb other churches/ mosques within the same area. It says that the noise level should not exceed 55db during the day and 45 db at night, just as early morning service should not commence before 7.am and midweek services should not exceed 9pm and should be conducted without musical instruments.
To address the perceived anomalies in the law a group of Christian leaders meet with the Lagos State House of Assembly, seeking that the laws should be amended. The land Use Pattern, the Lagos State Physical Development Regulation 2005 and the Noise Pollution Control Policy violate the constitutional rights of Nigerians who are resident in Lagos State as against Sections 38 and 42 of the 1999 constitution, among others.
A four-page amendment proposal counter-signed by Rev. J. Olusoji (Chairman), Prophet Lawrence Olawoyin (Gen. Sec) and Pastor Otoibhi explained: “These laws must be amended because they violate the constitutional rights of many Nigerians who are residents in Lagos State. The noise pollution control policy, in its present form, is breeding disharmony in the polity; these laws are inconsistent with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria..."

source: m.guardian.ng/features/weekend/controversy-trails-implementation-of-noise-pollution-law-in-lagos/

Meanwhile, am meeting with imams respected associate this evening...
Re: Islamic Biass Presently Being Practiced In Lagos State Against Christianity? by lekkie073(m): 8:20am On Apr 24, 2016
themall:
How una take do am?
just make a community-backed report to LASEPA

(1) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 25/04/16 / Do These Bible Verses Contradict Each Other? / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 28/03/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.