Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student (1679 Views)

Chronicles Of Tracy / The Romantic Chronicles Of Badoh / Chronicles Of Temy (my Life On Campus) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student by deedan9(m): 1:14am On Apr 24, 2016
Hey guys, I am new to writing stories. This is my Maiden edition and I know it's not the best piece. Having drawn inspiration from d9yt7,pabon,i decided to write about a life event.
Open criticism is welcomed and Pls advise on anywhere I must have abuse English language. Thanks .

THE CHRONICLES OF A UNIBEN STUDENT

'MR PORTER'
As I pulled along a 'bagco' bag heading towards the corridor of the passage way leading to unit 2 common room, I was stopped by the sound of his baritone voice.

"Hey you, come here, bring that bag here" . I turned to the direction of the voice, walked up towards the direction and then replied 'Sir?'.

"Where is your hostel I.D card", he asked raising his voice above his normal pitch. I was mute, not wanting to lie and for him noticing it, he order me to drop the bag at a corner behind the corridor of his office.

I walked slowly in annoyance and did as he had ordered only to make the bag lean against the wall displaying some part of it for better monitoring and in case of quick retrieval. Then, I stood close to him trying to beg but he was reluctant, and I knew inside me that he would accept emoluments but at that time, I have nothing to give. His predatorship grew towards me wanting the prey to yield #200 which will make the sleeping dog lay better.
Not knowing the best excuse to give that will entice him to return the bag in my favour, I was lost in thought.

Still standing with the Porter having a tussle with my cerebrum on how to escape this menace, I was forced to look at the direction of the footsteps of a manly figure walking in alacrity towards my direction. I was relieved when I saw him walking briskly towards the porter's office and behold, my saviour heaves in sight.

"Excuse me sir!, that bag leaning against that wall belongs to me", said Godsent and it seems like you seized it", he continued. "Please, 'Mr man' excuse us", said Mr Porter, "and besides, you are not invited here", he blurted out.

"What is the meaning of this", Godsent asked. "Why did you decide to seize the bag he was bringing to me" he continued raising his voice above normal trying to cause a gathering.

"Come Mr man, what is your problem?" asked Mr Porter, "what brought you here", he retorted with a harsh baritone voice. "You seized that bag he was bringing to me without my consent", Godsent replied. "where is your bag" asked Mr Porter. "Over there, replied Godsent, "the one leaving against the wall", he continued getting frustrated at the discussion.

"Come Mr man, you better leave here" Mr Porter uttered. "Go to your room" he continued, "this bag was brought here by this young man", Mr Porter exclaimed with utter frustration.
Ehen! hey! Exclaimed Godsent. "So you want to extort money from him abi", Godsent replied with his voice gaining momentum.

" So you think you can dupe him as you have duped other students huh?!" Godsent utters, "this time, your plan will not work" he continued.

"Come, are you out of your senses", asked Mr Porter, "So you think you can come over to rain insult on me?? " Mr Porter objected. And there I was watching and enjoying the live drama.

"Sir, I never insulted you" said Godsent, "and if you don't know how to do your job very well, give room for others to occupy" he replied with utter disdain. "How would you stop an innocent student just because he was handling a bag and yet, you are trying to turn it to your favour to make him feel guilty" Godsent retaliated with high temper and by this time, a small crowd began to form.

Before Mr Porter was able to speak out, Godsent cuts in and continued "Sir, this thing you are doing is really barbaric and you would want to call yourself a Patriotic Nigerian".

"If you don't return this bag, you will not expect what shall befell you" Godsent spew out.

Ohhh... my God, there I was, mute and happy, for this saviour had really done a great job.
What Godsent had spewed out fuel fueled the anger on Mr Porter as grabbed the bag heading to unit 1 marching like an angry soldier.
Re: The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student by deedan9(m): 1:15am On Apr 24, 2016
Godsent didn't follow him nor did he refrain him. He stood watching Mr Porter as he left.
Jesus...., i was off guard deliberating inside the prime point of any amount of reasoning or words i could say as this has gone beyond what I had expected.

I couldn't follow Mr Porter along to plead for leniency neither did I even have a reasonable explanation to give just in case the 'the matter con boil'... I was lost in thought and I couldn't even make a common 'hmm'.

I walked up to Godsent, and he assured me never to worry because he knows the Porter very well. "But you could have just used a gentleman way... you know?" I said to him. "Gentleman way?, he asked, "my guy relax that Porter just dey play" he said. "today, today, he go give that bag back" he continued. "he just dey act like oga at the top" he concluded with Urhobo accent. "OK ooo...." I replied. "Just watch" he affirmed.

Mr Porter soon return and met the unsuspecting tactics Godsent would use on him "...i am going to call all the students at tunnel 1 in unit 3" Godsent said, and they will testify on how you charged them to pay #200 to you all because they were not with their hostel I.D. card at the time" Godsent blurted out with frustration. "They will give testimonies", he continued "and I will see how over 20 persons would lie on the same issue regarding your criminal act..", Godsent hammered on!

Throughout this whole episode, I was few metres away from the crowd that has begun gathering to witness the drama. Yet still, I had not been relieved of the tussle I was battling within my head as I had hoped it shouldn't turn sour.

Students began to plead as Godsent began making rude and threatening gestures towards Mr Porter who had earlier rebuked the fact saying that he had dupe students of #200. A witness came and testify, a second came and testify and then a third followed. With a potential fourth of the imaginary queue, the Porter decided to shut the door of his office in an attempt to put off the crowd.
Other students threatened along with Godsent that they would report to the Dean of Students the following day and Lo, I was gaining freedom as I had to take a sigh of relief having been witnessing the gradual weakness befalling Mr Porter.

Because of the muttering among students, and the testimonies against him, he had but to surrender. He called Godsent and I to his office and tried to calm Godsent down who had already been boiling in anger as it has been fueled by Mr Porter's reluctancy and shutting of his office's door.

"We used this as an advantage though", Mr Porter confessed, "and we had to take the pride being the boss to minimize the movement of miscreants into the hostel", he continued. "And let's forget this ever happened" Mr Porter concluded.

"And you, young man, follow me " said Mr Porter. I walked abreast briskly with him leaving Godsent behind as all that was on my mind was to get the bag and prepare 'the hall 4 kind of beans' and yet still, I was able to quench the hunger disturbing the 'hungry sustainable cells'with repeated digestion of the imaginary food I had consumed derived from the drama between Godsent and Mr Porter.

We walked on, approaching the area behind Unit1 common room accompanied with foul smell emanating from the toilet, I pinched my nose and sealed my lips. Mr Porter is oblivious of this and as he was about asking a question, he swallowed up a mass of pungent smell. He lost balance as he tried gasping for breath and fresh air and for this while, I was already few metres ahead of him.
Re: The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student by deedan9(m): 1:16am On Apr 24, 2016
I looked back saw him panting like an antelope who had just luckily survived the jaws of an hungry lion. "What kind of student are you? " he exclaimed. "Why couldn't you tell me that this place smells like that..", he asked, 'hmm', I replied as I smirked and kept walking on.
On getting to Unit 1 Porter's lodge, he told me to wait outside the corridor and he dashed to get the bag.

He pulled the bag firmly and carried it back to Unit 2 and I walked slowly behind and began wondering why he had called me along with him in the first place if it wasn't for me carrying the bag. The thought was quenched by the resounding sharp pinch I felt within my stomach reminding me that I had to gulp something down unto my bowels and on sighting Godsent, the hunger began to fade away like colour.

I quickly hurried up to catch up with Mr Porter and Godsent and took another sigh of relief as a gripped the bag's handle.

"Why didn't you tell me that the bag was for Godsent", the confused Mr Porter said "and why didn't you notify me earlier", the confused Mr Porter continued. I wanted to laugh and not fool him, I told him he shouldn't bother as I had tried, but he gave me no listening ears and that raising his tune over mine had drew the attention of Godsent.

Mr Porter told us to go that he is done with us. I and Godsent left pulling the bag along, one hand abreast.

The crowd laughed Mr Porter for his criminal act in extorting money from students and for acting cowardly brave and later surrendered to the tricky words from the students.
Angry was Mr Porter when he finally locked up his office and set forth home and in the early hours of the morning sun, we heard the sad news, he was fired!

THE END

1 Like

Re: The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student by Julietcutie(f): 2:30am On Apr 24, 2016
nice one... u should continue writing stories

1 Like

Re: The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student by deedan9(m): 8:55am On Apr 24, 2016
Julietcutie:
nice one... u should continue writing stories
Thanks
Re: The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student by joanee20(f): 12:37pm On Apr 24, 2016
NYC story
Re: The Chronicles Of A Uniben Student by deedan9(m): 1:22am On Apr 27, 2016
joanee20:
NYC story
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

My Year 100 Level Experience In UNIBEN. / The Undying- A Short Story By Shadeyinka / Where the leopard passes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.