Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,420 members, 7,954,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:47 AM

Tithes: Could Anyone Explain This? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes: Could Anyone Explain This? (461 Views)

Daddy Freeze Shares Mobile Bank App For Tithes And Offerings For Churches / "I Paid My Tithes At 4square, I Had Accident, Lost My Job, Pastor Abandoned Me" / I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tithes: Could Anyone Explain This? by MightySparrow: 11:24am On Apr 26, 2016
Hebrews 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

Please read the whole chapter to grasp the argument
Re: Tithes: Could Anyone Explain This? by Scholar8200(m): 12:19pm On Apr 26, 2016
Pulpit Commentary

Verse 8. - And here (in the case of the Levitical priesthood) men that die (literally, dying men) receive tithes; but there (in the case of Melchizedek) one of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. The difference here noted is between a succession of mortal priests and one perpetually living, who never loses his personal claim, which is inherent, in himself. But how so of Melchizedek? For it is to him, and not to Christ the Antitype, that the words evidently apply. Is it at length implied that he was more than mortal man? No, if only for this reason; that the witness appealed to (μαρτυρούμενος) must be that of Scripture, which nowhere bears such witness of the historical Melchizedek. The words, μαρτυρούμενος ὅτε ζῇ, are, in fact, only a resumption of what was said in ver. 3: "having neither beginning of days nor end of life;" and hear the same meaning; viz. (as above explained) that he passes before our view in Genesis with no mention of either death, birth, or ancestry, and thus presented the ideal of "a priest for ever" to the inspired psalmist. The witness referred to is that of the record in Genesis, viewed in the light of the idea of the psalm.
biblehub.com

(1) (Reply)

Spiritual Digest For The Day 28th Of April 2016 / Jesus, Son Of God. Jesus Is God? Come On Let Us Discuss It! / Best Hymns Of All Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.