Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics (33302 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oba Ewuare ll N’Ogidigan, The 39th Oba Of Benin In His Regal Glory / Photos Of King Square/Oba's Palace Benin In Preparation For Obas Coronation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by lailo: 2:20pm On Apr 29, 2016
And na someone dey eat d queen's punnany as at dat time.Chai,fine small girl
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Laid2001: 3:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
It is surely an abomination in Yoruba land for a king (especially wearing his crown) like the Oba of Bini to bow his head to anybody.

"Eeewo, akiii fi oriade ru eku"

You can see Awolowo a high chief (not a king) of Ikene in Yoruba land standing straight next to the Oba of Bini in the picture. He is not even bending, talk less of if it were to be a Yoruba King!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 29, 2016
IT'S LIKE PEOPLE CAN NOT NOTICE THE HEIGHT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO?
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by olisaEze(m): 8:17am On Apr 30, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
So Oba of Benin self de comot for him palace and bow to Queen Elizabeth? I think say Oba no de go transfer before.

Level pass level bro
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 4:34am On May 02, 2016
OmoIgala:

You are a small boy who does not even know the history of Edo.

British conquered You
Nigeria conquered you
Yorubas Conquered you
Nupe conquered you and took you as slave
Igalas Conquered you cool

It must suck to be from Edo.
i think u've gat history upside down. it is the yorubas that were conquered by the nupes and driving away from their palace severally, they were even pursued from oyo. the nupes on the other had were mainly traders with d beni people, they didnt conquer bini, as for d igalas the opposite is true, the beni king drove the igalas out of d areas d ebira people now live. d attah once paid taxes to d oba.

the people who were been conquered then were d yorubas, D benin conquered them, the nupes conquered them the fulanis conquered them and their empire ended up killing itself even before d british came.

2 Likes

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 4:39am On May 02, 2016
MadCow1:

What does Ms. Lagarde have to do with Bini King bowing to a Woman.. grin

You keep showing me Men bowing to Men..

I want to see Powerful men such as the Oba of Bini is supposed to be bowing to a Woman.

When I see that, then I will have a rethink.
first courtesy demands it, secondly it seems u didnt notice dat d queen is short, it is hard to shake a short person without bowing. the king also shoke hands with prince philip and didnt bow.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 4:45am On May 02, 2016
Sunnyade01:
A king bowing for a queen!

I thought they said traditionally Oba of Benin cannot leave his Palace!

That is not his Palace!
The kings leaves their palace, akensua and eradiauwa left d palace sumtimes, they are not like d new age kings that prefer to b in d UK instead of with their people but while they were younger they left d palace, they only stopped it as they grew older.

in d picture d king didnt go and meet d queen in lagos as many kings did so d queen left lagos for benin and was receive by d king in benin airport.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 5:10am On May 02, 2016
haul:
So you can see how benins deserted this thread?

Well, this thread is a testimony of hierarchy of kingship in the western and mid-west nigeria before the benins start distorting history. If you're to distort history come with fact. This is not for supremacy but history should never be doctored cause that's the only thing left of cultural pride and heritage.

Now can we now say oba dey go transfer? Oba dey bow for chick? Oba dey dress in a masqurade regalia?

Yorubas and benins are brothers so please benin don't be too fast than your history cause pictures don't lie.
How did a picture of d oba receiving the queen in benin turn unto a heirarchy context? the oba leave d palace sumtimes any1 born b4 2000 when d oba was old will know this. that is not a masquerade regalia, it is a royal gown made of bead from top to bottom with few fortifications, i bet ur king doesnt own one. a picture only shows he had more courtesy than most kings.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 5:15am On May 02, 2016
Consultville:
Adesoji Aderemi was a Knight of the British Empire.
DO you know who a knight is?
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 5:19am On May 02, 2016
haul:
So you can see how benins deserted this thread?

Well, this thread is a testimony of hierarchy of kingship in the western and mid-west nigeria before the benins start distorting history. If you're to distort history come with fact. This is not for supremacy but history should never be doctored cause that's the only thing left of cultural pride and heritage.

Now can we now say oba dey go transfer? Oba dey bow for chick? Oba dey dress in a masqurade regalia?

Yorubas and benins are brothers so please benin don't be too fast than your history cause pictures don't lie.
And the reason many edos are not here is because the issue has been trashed long ago on nl. next time do a search.
www.nairaland.com/1250160/photo-queen-elizabeth-ii-oba/2
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by haul: 8:47am On May 02, 2016
Ubenedictus:
How did a picture of d oba receiving the queen in benin turn unto a heirarchy context? the oba leave d palace sumtimes any1 born b4 2000 when d oba was old will know this. that is not a masquerade regalia, it is a royal gown made of bead from top to bottom with few fortifications, i bet ur king doesnt own one. a picture only shows he had more courtesy than most kings.

This is only defense of pride, see what you're saying, the king has courtesy?? Courtesy is disrespecting your throne?? I know how it feels to be an edo when your king has no shame. Ndo!

Talking about the beads and regalia that our kings have none? You're a dolt! Ask the entire benin who thought them bronze casting, terracotta! The records are there for all to see, we gave you everything to be proud of, we gave you what you now revered which is KINGSHIP ! You can't deny this cause this part of history can't be doctored by your clueless revisionist!

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by haul: 8:57am On May 02, 2016
Ubenedictus:
i think u've gat history upside down. it is the yorubas that were conquered by the nupes and driving away from their palace severally, they were even pursued from oyo. the nupes on the other had were mainly traders with d beni people, they didnt conquer bini, as for d igalas the opposite is true, the beni king drove the igalas out of d areas d ebira people now live. d attah once paid taxes to d oba.

the people who were been conquered then were d yorubas, D benin conquered them, the nupes conquered them the fulanis conquered them and their empire ended up killing itself even before d british came.

Stop lying! Benins are known to be a big liar, let me hurt your pride boy!

On no account! I repeat, on no account did benin people fought a war talkless conquering an hamlet!
Nupes conquer yoruba? Tell me where they conquer that we can see oooo! Yoruba conquer from west to up north,to west entering benin republic, straight down to east which is benin(installing kingship for you savage and gave you civilization).

You need your brain overhauled with sawdust.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by MadCow1: 9:24am On May 02, 2016
Ubenedictus:
first courtesy demands it, secondly it seems u didnt notice dat d queen is short, it is hard to shake a short person without bowing. the king also shoke hands with prince philip and didnt bow.

Lol..

Yeah.. the queen is short.. grin grin grin

Her hands can't go higher .. grin grin grin

OK. ..

I get it.. grin
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by teekay213(m): 11:21am On May 02, 2016
Consultville:
Adesoji Aderemi was a Knight of the British Empire.
Pls,how can i go about the credit and loan services sucessfully?
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Consultville(m): 12:51pm On May 02, 2016
Ubenedictus:
DO you know who a knight is?

Lol, google is a good friend, Sir Adesoji Aderemi didn't get his 'Sir' from Ife people
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by macof(m): 5:56pm On May 02, 2016
Ubenedictus:

grin grin nupe never conquered yorubas.. they occupied oyo. ..so? does yoruba begin and end with Oyo? did oyo not return to take back their land and invade nupe to control theirs? ... face ur Oba who is not even up to the Awujale in majesty. ..

nupe conquered ekpoma. ..a part of Bini empire. .. they took territory from you and turned ur brothers into Muslims and you dare speak when Yoruba speak?

below is the Awujale meeting the same queen Elizabeth

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Yujin(m): 7:41am On May 03, 2016
Lol. See how the Yorubas are bullying the binis over this picture but will still find a way to explain it away if it were the other way round. They have been rigurgitation the tussle they had with the binis over kinship and kingsh hiererchy all over this thread and mocking the Oba's regalia. The Oba of Benin remains a highly respected king all over Nigeria as he is backed with many verifiable history of his people's exploit. For me, the Oba bending forward in greeting the young queen could be as a result of the history his throne had with the brutish British. When you see the one who heads those who exiled your ancestor and sacked your palace, you are bound to be extra courteous with him/her. Also note that the ease with which a Yoruba king will respond to the queen is not same for the Bini Oba because of the obvious difference and the fact that power doesn't belong to him any more. Awolowo had more power than him that time. By 1956 Nigeria was still part of the British territory.
Finally, I'll like to know the Yorubas response to how the Sardaunan Sokoto(Ahmadu Bello) greeted the queen at a similar time.
https://www.nairaland.com/2647594/see-how-ahmadu-bello-greeted
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Nobody: 7:57am On May 03, 2016
samsam2019:
this idiot king just disgraced his exalted throne

Why did he bow to queen Elizabeth?

Ode ofo

Didnt you bow to your house maid yesterday? angry
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by macof(m): 11:08am On May 03, 2016
Yujin:
Lol. See how the Yorubas are bullying the binis over this picture but will still find a way to explain it away if it were the other way round. They have been rigurgitation the tussle they had with the binis over kinship and kingsh hiererchy all over this thread and mocking the Oba's regalia. The Oba of Benin remains a highly respected king all over Nigeria as he is backed with many verifiable history of his people's exploit. For me, the Oba bending forward in greeting the young queen could be as a result of the history his throne had with the brutish British. When you see the one who heads those who exiled your ancestor and sacked your palace, you are bound to be extra courteous with him/her. Also note that the ease with which a Yoruba king will respond to the queen is not same for the Bini Oba because of the obvious difference and the fact that power doesn't belong to him any more. Awolowo had more power than him that time. By 1956 Nigeria was still part of the British territory.
Finally, I'll like to know the Yorubas response to how the Sardaunan Sokoto(Ahmadu Bello) greeted the queen at a similar time.
https://www.nairaland.com/2647594/see-how-ahmadu-bello-greeted

many of the people commenting here aren't yoruba. they can see the lies in wat the Bini are saying.

there's no way to explain it. ..An Oba shouldn't bow for anyone. ..simple

and what concerns Ahmadu Bello with this?

oga move along》》》》》

2 Likes

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:16am On May 09, 2016
macof:

grin grin nupe never conquered yorubas.. they occupied oyo. ..so? does yoruba begin and end with Oyo? did oyo not return to take back their land and invade nupe to control theirs? ... face ur Oba who is not even up to the Awujale in majesty. ..

nupe conquered ekpoma. ..a part of Bini empire. .. they took territory from you and turned ur brothers into Muslims and you dare speak when Yoruba speak?

is oyo not a yoruba empire? When d nupes overtook it and pursued its yoruba inhabitants severally is dat not conquering yorubas?

Ekpoma was never taken from binis, u can present contrary evidence 90 percent of ishan people are traditionalist and cchristians, not muslims as u claim.

And a picture of d ajuwale talking to the queen ssuddenly means he is majestic abi?

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:20am On May 09, 2016
Consultville:

Lol, google is a good friend, Sir Adesoji Aderemi didn't get his 'Sir' from Ife people
it was giving to him right? And he accepted it? Do u know a knight is simmply a honored soldier under a monarch?
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:35am On May 09, 2016
haul:

Stop lying! Benins are known to be a big liar, let me hurt your pride boy!

On no account! I repeat, on no account did benin people fought a war talkless conquering an hamlet!
Nupes conquer yoruba? Tell me where they conquer that we can see oooo! Yoruba conquer from west to up north,to west entering benin republic, straight down to east which is benin(installing kingship for you savage and gave you civilization).

You need your brain overhauled with sawdust.
ignorance is a disease so bini didnt fight any wars yet history says so. Nupe conquer oyo, that is history. Go and read.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:39am On May 09, 2016
haul:

This is only defense of pride, see what you're saying, the king has courtesy?? Courtesy is disrespecting your throne?? I know how it feels to be an edo when your king has no shame. Ndo!

Talking about the beads and regalia that our kings have none? You're a dolt! Ask the entire benin who thought them bronze casting, terracotta! The records are there for all to see, we gave you everything to be proud of, we gave you what you now revered which is KINGSHIP ! You can't deny this cause this part of history can't be doctored by your clueless revisionist!
hehehe why are u so pained? He showed courtesy binis dont care, u are crying. Why are u pained?
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:56am On May 09, 2016
macof:

many of the people commenting here aren't yoruba. they can see the lies in wat the Bini are saying.

there's no way to explain it. ..An Oba shouldn't bow for anyone. ..simple

and what concerns Ahmadu Bello with this?

oga move along》》》》》
u should know your obas were know to hide their tails and escape from their palace to avoid an invading army. Probably because of this same ego that preventss them from even a simple courtesy o their cconquerors.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 11, 2016
macof:

You're very daft. Don't speak on things that you have no knowledge of. I'm from Ekpoma, and Ekpoma has never been conquered by the Nupes or Fulanis. The only reason why there's a tiny, minute amount of Muslims in Ekpoma and Ewu is because a tiny bit of the Islamic influence in Edo North trinkled down. And even with that, the vast majority of Ekpoma people and Esan people as a whole are Christians(Catholics,Anglicans, etc.).
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by macof(m): 10:49pm On May 11, 2016
aim5:

You're very daft. Don't speak on things that you have no knowledge of. I'm from Ekpoma, and Ekpoma has never been conquered by the Nupes or Fulanis. The only reason why there's a tiny, minute amount of Muslims in Ekpoma and Ewu is because a tiny bit of the Islamic influence in Edo North trunked down. And even with that, the vast majority of Ekpoma people and Esan people as a whole are Christians(Catholics,Anglicans, etc.).

e pain am grin grin maybe you'll also deny and say that Nupe never conquered Owan area
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 11, 2016
macof:

e pain am grin grin maybe you'll also deny and say that Nupe never conquered Owan area

It doesn't affect me. Yes, I won't deny that the Nupes had a bit of a stronghold on the Northern part of Edo State, but they never had a stronghold in Esan.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by macof(m): 9:36am On May 12, 2016
aim5:

It doesn't affect me. Yes, I won't deny that the Nupes had a bit of a stronghold on the Northern part of Edo State, but they never had a stronghold in Esan.
good. so nupe took territory from Benin empire and they were just looking
tell ur Bini cousin to learn that
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 14, 2016
Incase any Bini or Edo person wants to claim Yoruba wasn't used in their kingdom.

Let me spam this thread with the screen shot.

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by macof(m): 1:50am On May 15, 2016
9jacrip:
Incase any Bini or Edo person wants to claim Yoruba wasn't used in their kingdom.

Let me spam this thread with the screen shot.

Egbon mi, what book is this?
Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by Nobody: 1:52am On May 15, 2016
macof:

Egbon mi, what book is this?

The book Wulfruna mentioned.

'History of Yoruba' - S. Adebanji Akitoye.

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics by FisifunKododada: 12:59pm On May 18, 2016
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / ~~~~Blacks Of The New World~Trace Their Blood~~~~ / No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.