Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. (9215 Views)

The Devel Sixteen Hypercar With 5,007hp & 310mph Top Speed Is Unveiled In Dubai / Watch Koenigsegg Agera RS Become The Fastest Car Ever Made With 284mph Top Speed / How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 5:35pm On May 01, 2016
cocoduck:
you said in your earlier post that you changed the cooling fan, and that the person told you that the fan is not for the matrix, Yes, here lies the problem, the fan is turning too slowly, because well read the following excerpt
"Input from the engine coolant sensor, ambient air temperature, vehicle speed sensor and other sensors may be used by the PCM to determine when the fan needs to be energized. On applications that have variable fan speeds, the PCM generates an on-off duty signal for the fan motor ("pulse width modulation"wink that causes the fan to run faster or slower."
You need a matrix cooling fan, not an adapted one.
Ok thanks. Cos i noticed the on and off takes so long. Fab can keep blowing for long without shutting down on idle.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 6:06pm On May 01, 2016
prince088:

Ok thanks. Cos i noticed the on and off takes so long. Fab can keep blowing for long without shutting down on idle.
what happened to the original fan? When and why did you change it? When you initially got the car, was everything working to your satisfaction? What lights are you seeing on the dash when the car is on?
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 7:09pm On May 01, 2016
cocoduck:
what happened to the original fan? When and why did you change it? When you initially got the car, was everything working to your satisfaction? What lights are you seeing on the dash when the car is on?

The fan as failing. Sometimes u av to turn with ur hand. And it was not fast. So had to replace. I can not say thr AC was very Ok. Cos i expected it to be cooler. But issue is i don't know hiw matrix AC is, so can't compare. The front side had an accident though which mark can be seen on the cindenser. As a a depression. Check and airbag light on only.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by earthrealm(m): 7:20pm On May 01, 2016
prince088:

Let me explain a bit more. There is this guage he used when filling the gas. Its at 60 when AC not cooling. When he pours water on the condenser, and it starts cooling, the guage drops to 40.
At high speed still does not cool enough but u can feel some cool breeze unlike when idle. This happens in thr day time, as u know how hot the sun use to be.

At night, weather is now cool, so it cools in idle. But i bliv it should be cooler cos sometimes i still put the fan speed in 3, ideally it should be in 1, or worse case 2.

I hope u understand better now.

ok, most mechanics hook the guages to only the lowside...this is wrong..you need the hiside readings to get a better picture.........

sometimes i dont blame them, messing with the highside can b quite dangerous if you dont know what you are doing..{exploded rfill can from high pressure].

then this fan angle again...is another issue, i think matrix uses a duty cycle fan...the ecm tells the fan when to run faster etc..
so i need you to give me the hiside pressures..in addition to the low side........
post the pressures when the ac is off and when the ac is on/compressor engaged
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 7:24pm On May 01, 2016
prince088:

The fan as failing. Sometimes u av to turn with ur hand. And it was not fast. So had to replace. I can not say thr AC was very Ok. Cos i expected it to be cooler. But issue is i don't know hiw matrix AC is, so can't compare. The front side had an accident though which mark can be seen on the cindenser. As a a depression. Check and airbag light on only.
Okay, get an original matrix fan, and I will prefer if you, use the original compressor, vacuum the AC system, and refill the refrigerant using weight measurement.
Okay, In my computer I have the factory repair manual, once I get home I will check it. You also need to scan the car, preferably with a dealer level scan tool.
One more question, do you know how to use u torrent to download files? I mean P2P.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 8:07pm On May 01, 2016
cocoduck:
Okay, get an original matrix fan, and I will prefer if you, use the original compressor, vacuum the AC system, and refill the refrigerant using weight measurement.
Okay, In my computer I have the factory repair manual, once I get home I will check it. You also need to scan the car, preferably with a dealer level scan tool.
One more question, do you know how to use u torrent to download files? I mean P2P.

Yes i can. Thanks
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 9:41pm On May 01, 2016
prince088:

Yes i can. Thanks
okay.
Here is the link, download it

https://m.thepiratebay.se/torrent/6640072/Car_Repair_Manuals.

when you download the torrent, and load it up in your p2p client, the deselect all, scroll Dow and select the 2003-2007 Toyota matrix, then, download the main file as usual, except you want to download for all the cars it's just 22gigs(lol), if not download ONLY the one for your car.
Sorry for the long wait, I was chatting with friends, don't worry about the lack of seeders, it is just thepiratebay people that have not updated that page.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 10:20pm On May 01, 2016
cocoduck:
okay.
Here is the link, download it

https://m.thepiratebay.se/torrent/6640072/Car_Repair_Manuals.

when you download the torrent, and load it up in your p2p client, the deselect all, scroll Dow and select the 2003-2007 Toyota matrix, then, download the main file as usual, except you want to download for all the cars it's just 22gigs(lol), if not download ONLY the one for your car.
Sorry for the long wait, I was chatting with friends, don't worry about the lack of seeders, it is just thepiratebay people that have not updated that page.

Lol. I plan 1am tmr. Hope i don't sleep early. I have unlimited 1am to 7am. Semi thanks to spectranet. They are still cheats.

Hopfully this will let me know what to tell the tech. Cos in Naija, everything is trial and error.

Somehow i feel its either the condeser or the fan. Or even both. Cos if water makes it work in day time, and it cools to a fault at night. Then there is a p with heat transfer or how u guys call it. grin

I just found the thermometer, will try checking the condeser for blockage tmr. Saw ow to do it in the YouTube link. Though sure its not the fan rotor that came with it, that is there now .

I also noticed something on the compressor. There is this free wire with a socket, i asked the guy why thats not fixed. He said no need, not doing anything. I was like oyinbo wey put am there know y. He said the main thing is connected already. Thats typical naija techs.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 10:27pm On May 01, 2016
earthrealm:

ok, most mechanics hook the guages to only the lowside...this is wrong..you need the hiside readings to get a better picture.........

sometimes i dont blame them, messing with the highside can b quite dangerous if you dont know what you are doing..{exploded rfill can from high pressure].

then this fan angle again...is another issue, i think matrix uses a duty cycle fan...the ecm tells the fan when to run faster etc..
so i need you to give me the hiside pressures..in addition to the low side........
post the pressures when the ac is off and when the ac is on/compressor engaged

Now this is technical. Lol. Dont have the tools to do all this. Lol. Note that the compressor is tokumbo. And when filling, he stopped at 60 on the gauge.

Plz also note that the former compressor still blows some cool air even in idle, and cools a bit at night too.

When i asked why this tokumbo is not even cooling in day at all. He said cos it has higher pressure and working fine, but since fan not blowing wel for it. It will not work. The other comoressor as lower pressure, thats y it still blows some cool air even in idle. Don't know if that i correct.

I appreciate u guys trying to help. Thanks alot! Cocoduck thanks too
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 11:14pm On May 01, 2016
prince088:

Lol. I plan 1am tmr. Hope i don't sleep early. I have unlimited 1am to 7am. Semi thanks to spectranet. They are still cheats.

Hopfully this will let me know what to tell the tech. Cos in Naija, everything is trial and error.

Somehow i feel its either the condeser or the fan. Or even both. Cos if water makes it work in day time, and it cools to a fault at night. Then there is a p with heat transfer or how u guys call it. grin

I just found the thermometer, will try checking the condeser for blockage tmr. Saw ow to do it in the YouTube link. Though sure its not the fan rotor that came with it, that is there now .

I also noticed something on the compressor. There is this free wire with a socket, i asked the guy why thats not fixed. He said no need, not doing anything. I was like oyinbo wey put am there know y. He said the main thing is connected already. Thats typical naija techs.
Look, there isn't much to do in this case, just get the fan for your matrix, (I am very sure it is the fan), make sure it has all the connectors, remember its speed and power are computer controlled (duty cycle) then put the original compressor, that is the one that came with the car, then vacuum the system, add one small can of oil, I have forgotten the weight, it is just the small can, then according to the service repair manual, put 500g, that is half of the that long can of refrigerant. 1000g.
Measure the can while applying it until the weight remains 500g, that is that 500g is in the car AC system.
Put the can on a pair of scale, the shake it from time to time. You know the car must be on.

1 Like

Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 11:39pm On May 01, 2016
cocoduck:

Look, there isn't much to do in this case, just get the fan for your matrix, (I am very sure it is the fan), make sure it has all the connectors, remember its speed and power are computer controlled (duty cycle) then put the original compressor, that is the one that came with the car, then vacuum the system, add one small can of oil, I have forgotten the weight, it is just the small can, then according to the service repair manual, put 500g, that is half of the that long can of refrigerant. 1000g.
Measure the can while applying it until the weight remains 500g, that is that 500g is in the car AC system.
Put the can on a pair of scale, the shake it from time to time. You know the car must be on.

Ok thanks. Will do that tmr
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 8:56am On May 02, 2016
@ cocoduck, earthrealm and others.
Found the first issue, i don't think the condenser is ok.
The left side is hot, even my themrmoter screams hi, when i move towards the right side, its colder there. Reads even as low as 36 degrees. Sometimes lower. Feeling the condenser with my palm on the left side is warm on the hard, but moving my palm towards the other side is normal temp, not warm at all. I tried same technique on someone's pilot whose AC is working perfectly, the whole condenser reads almost same readings 42 degrees, and everywhere feels abit warm. Unlike mine, where a part is much hotter.
I will also check if the fan is its own particular own.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 9:00am On May 02, 2016
prince088:
@ cocoduck, earthrealm and others.
Found the first issue, i don't think the condenser is ok.
The left side is hot, even my themrmoter screams hi, when i move towards the right side, its colder there. Reads even as low as 36 degrees. Sometimes lower. Feeling the condenser with my palm on the left side is warm on the hard, but moving my palm towards the other side is normal temp, not warm at all. I tried same technique on someone's pilot whose AC is working perfectly, the whole condenser reads almost same readings 42 degrees, and everywhere feels abit warm. Unlike nine, where a part is much hotter.
Okay then, get another condenser, but don't forget that your friend's AC fan is working with full power while yours is not. The original fan, how many wires, I mean all the wires that was on the connector, how many were they?
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 9:04am On May 02, 2016
cocoduck:
Okay then, get another condenser, but was your friend's AC fan working correctly?

Yes. 2 cells. Both fan kicks in and out every now and then. Note the car was not so warm when i checked. As i just kicked it this morning and turned on the AC. I checked when the fan first shut down. The normal inlet is very hot. The pipe but cooler on the outlet.
Its the general surface of the condenser i'm talking about now
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 9:09am On May 02, 2016
prince088:

Yes. 2 cells. Both fan kicks in and out every now and then. Note the car was not so warm when i checked. As i just kicked it this morning and turned on the AC. I checked when the fan first shut down. The normal inlet is very hot. The pipe but cooler on the outlet.
Its the general surface of the condenser i'm talking about now
Why I am saying this is because, the fan is not cooling your condenser, so test it again and again, how many wires are connected to your cooling fan?
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 9:16am On May 02, 2016
Remember, the condenser cannot get rid of heat on its own when the environment is hot, so it needs the fan to do that, so if that of your friend works, it is because everything is in other, so even if you spend money on the condenser, it won't get rid of heat without the help of the fan, so for now concentrate your time on that fan.

1 Like

Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 9:16am On May 02, 2016
cocoduck:
Why I am saying this is because, the fan is not cooling your condenser, so test it again and again, how many wires are connected to your cooling fan?
U asked about my friend's fan? That was what i explained.
Guess we missed each other.

There is no loose wire on the fan. My bro just took it out. Wheb he comes will check if how if i can get how many wires exactly.

My condenser is also very hot on the inlet and coller on the outlet. But the general surface, feeling it with my palms and using termometer, the left side is very warm to feel, but when i move my palm to the other parts, its cooler, thermometer even takes readings there as 36degrees.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 9:36am On May 02, 2016
prince088:

U asked about my friend's fan? That was what i explained.
Guess we missed each other.

There is no loose wire on the fan. My bro just took it out. Wheb he comes will check if how if i can get how many wires exactly.

My condenser is also very hot on the inlet and coller on the outlet. But the general surface, feeling it with my palms and using termometer, the left side is very warm to feel, but when i move my palm to the other parts, its cooler, thermometer even takes readings there as 36degrees.
okay you mean the out let is a lot, lot cooler than inlet, okay, yes the condenser has issues. poor circulation of refrigerant, you got to get another one.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 10:07am On May 02, 2016
cocoduck:
okay you mean the out let is a lot, lot cooler than inlet, okay, yes the condenser has issues. poor circulation of refrigerant, you got to get another one.

Just watched the video u gave me again. The inlet should be hotter and the outlet cooler. The inlet is very hot, but the outlet us much more cooler. But take readings on the surface of condenser itself as he did in the video, shows exactly the same thing i experienced. One side hotter than the other.
I will sit with them all tru the fix. Am heading to Ladipo now.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by earthrealm(m): 11:45am On May 02, 2016
i think you shud take things 1 step at a time.
1. get the original fan for ur car...n crosscheck that the duty cycle port hasnr been damaged..or the ecm side feeding the port--- a pal had the same situation, where the mechanic bypassed the dutycycle ish, n hard wired the fan to be blowing 24/7

2. you cant do ac work without a pair of guagaes.....go n buy one, costs about 3k to 5k depending on quality.
3. the only way u can escape not having a complete hiside n loside guage is to evacuate the system, vacuum with a vaccum pump until the pressure holds at -29hg , then get a sensitive scale max 2kg, place ur small 1kg bttle of gas on it...n refill ur system with the factory spec...wch u guys said is 500g
rememebr to add a lil oil say 5ml to 10ml..u can use a syringe to measure this.

the big question is..do u hv a vaccum pump?

about the unbalanced heat in ur condenser...till u replace with oem fan...we cant really b sure what is wrong, u may even hv a partially blocked condenser!
so to avoid spending money on unnecessary parts{condenser}, we need to work n think smart
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 12:12pm On May 02, 2016
earthrealm:
1. get the original fan for ur car...n crosscheck that the duty cycle port hasnr been damaged..or the ecm side feeding the port--- a pal had the same situation, where the mechanic bypassed the dutycycle ish, n hard wired the fan to be blowing 24/7

2. you cant do ac work without a pair of guagaes.....go n buy one, costs about 3k to 5k depending on quality.
3. the only way u can escape not having a complete hiside n loside guage is to evacuate the system, vacuum with a vaccum pump until the pressure holds at -29hg , then get a sensitive scale max 2kg, place ur small 1kg bttle of gas on it...n refill ur system with the factory spec...wch u guys said is 500g

about the unbalanced heat in ur condenser...till u replace with oem fan...we cant really b sure what is wrong, u may even hv a partially blocked condenser!
so to avoid spending money on unnecessary parts{condenser}, we need to work n think smart
I have hammered on this several times, but he has the car and is convinced that the condenser is part of the problem, so leave him to change it, one thing I am damn sure is that fan, except he will do it to run as far as engine is on, then he must change it.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 2:38pm On May 02, 2016
earthrealm:

Thanks, i didn't plan doing this all mysef. The plan is to read this and be telling the AC tech guy to do all this. Sure they will have all the gauges. I don't av a vacuum pump, i will go check another AC guy now for all this. And yeah, the fan is the first thing to check even before condenser. Maybe they can do the flushing as u said. Will ask. I can't even remember if the fan motto was actually changed or worked on. Have checked the guy who fixed it to ask, he is not around. I couldn't even go to Ladipo again. Where is anyone of u located if i can bring it over.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 2:45pm On May 02, 2016
prince088:

Thanks, i didn't plan doing this all mysef. The plan is to read this and be telling the AC tech guy to do all this. Sure they will have all the gauges. I don't av a vacuum pump, i will go check another AC guy now for all this. And yeah, the fan is the first thing to check even before condenser. Maybe they can do the flushing as u said. Will ask. I can't even remember if the fan motto was actually changed or worked on. Have checked the guy who fixed it to ask, he is not around. I couldn't even go to Ladipo again. Where is anyone of u located if i can bring it over.
Well, I would have loved to, but, I am not even in Nigeria, I live in Gabon
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 3:55pm On May 02, 2016
cocoduck:
Well, I would have loved to, but, I am not even in Nigeria, I live in Gabon

Thanks. Never knew AC could be this troublesome. With this wicked sun
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 4:06pm On May 02, 2016
prince088:

Thanks. Never knew AC could be this troublesome. With this wicked sun
how is it going?
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by earthrealm(m): 7:30pm On May 02, 2016
am not in lagos........for a tampered unit like urs...relying on the ac tech to fix it..is a waste of time.
you need to understand thoroughly what is bad n what needs to be done...then u can direct him..n even at that,,there is a limit to how much they would listen or agree with u..

like putting a guage on the hiside, they will never agree.....n its even risky if they grudlingly agree, cos they might hook it up wrong and injure somebody/themselves!!

2ndly...i doubt the guy has a vaccum pump, ..any serious ac guy that has n uses/understands the importance of a vaccum pump wud know his onions ..n wud hv resolved ur car issues long ago.
wud suggest u search for gauzz, he is in lagos....n can help u..
there is also another guy...who overcame his ac issues tru diy and research...he bought a vaccum pump n manifold guages in the process...search for him...i think his id is adaany10 or something,
i commented in his post, so u can get to his thread tru my profile
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by cocoduck: 8:06pm On May 02, 2016
earthrealm:
am not in lagos........for a tampered unit like urs...relying on the ac tech to fix it..is a waste of time.
you need to understand thoroughly what is bad n what needs to be done...then u can direct him..n even at that,,there is a limit to how much they would listen or agree with u..

like putting a guage on the hiside, they will never agree.....n its even risky if they grudlingly agree, cos they might hook it up wrong and injure somebody/themselves!!

2ndly...i doubt the guy has a vaccum pump, ..any serious ac guy that has n uses/understands the importance of a vaccum pump wud know his onions ..n wud hv resolved ur car issues long ago.
wud suggest u search for gauzz, he is in lagos....n can help u..
there is also another guy...who overcame his ac issues tru diy and research...he bought a vaccum pump n manifold guages in the process...search for him...i think his id is adaany10 or something,
i commented in his post, so u can get to his thread tru my profile
Guy you wicked oo, what you said is the TRUTH, The problem is if he can get somebody that has access to a vacuum (BTW it is spelled VACUUM) pump and go to YouTube. com and search for a channel called RATCHETS AND WRENCHES, he will learn EVERYTHING he needs to know.
Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by prince088: 6:12pm On May 03, 2016
Thanks all. My AC works perfectly now. The compressor replaced b4 was still bad, and the condernser was also bad.

Decided to take to a better AC tech guy, (his charges are always high cheesy) and not Ladipo.

Rolling the fly wheel on the compressor on this new one, the difference is clear from how it sucked my hands to the 2 previous compressors.

I didn't mention the condenser to the new AC guy wanted him to check with his tools and mention anything bad himself. He checked the condenser and told me to replace it.

After fixing all, driving a whiile, i had to reduce the fan to One, it was super cool in the very hot sun. Fan was not replaced and it now kicks on and off more frequently.

Cc Cocoduck and earthrealm

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Plz Help. AC Not Cooling When Weather Is Hot, Cools A Little When On Top Speed. by icze(m): 10:30pm On Apr 24, 2019
prince088:
Thanks all. My AC works perfectly now. The compressor replaced b4 was still bad, and the condernser was also bad.

Decided to take to a better AC tech guy, (his charges are always high cheesy) and not Ladipo.

Rolling the fly wheel on the compressor on this new one, the difference is clear from how it sucked my hands to the 2 previous compressors.

I didn't mention the condenser to the new AC guy wanted him to check with his tools and mention anything bad himself. He checked the condenser and told me to replace it.

After fixing all, driving a whiile, i had to reduce the fan to One, it was super cool in the very hot sun. Fan was not replaced and it now kicks on and off more frequently.

Cc Cocoduck and earthrealm

Thanks

Please can you link me up with this guy..i changed my radiator and have been going through this same issue ever since

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia's Sovereign Wealth Fund to Invest $1B In Tesla's Rival Lucid Motors / Grinding Noise In A Car - These Are Some Likely Reasons / Nigerians Who Own Chevrolet Camaro (pics N Prices)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.