Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,654 members, 7,827,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 (560 Views)

Weekend Muse With Kunbi Black: The Lagos Hustle Is Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:21am On Apr 30, 2016
THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE & THE HUSTLE Season 1, Episode 4: 'Depression 101'
Re: The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:23am On Apr 30, 2016
Never ever have I known what it is to be depressed as to now that I’m a good-grade graduate but my employment status reads zero. Waking up and realizing that you are just one-out-of-the millions of unemployed youth in Nigeria is just agonizing! Why sleep when there’s nothing to fight for? Why wake when there’s nothing to rest from? Alter hopelessness.

In this period of sadness and waiting, one of the things I enjoy doing is pursuing my passion. One of my passions is being an inspirational and creative writer; I write motivational, fun and lifestyle articles on my official Facebook page; ‘justiceokwudikeofficial’

One other passion of mine is being a Humanitarian, reaching out to the less -privileged children, the sick, the widowed and prisoners is an experience I find fulfillment in. While I am unemployed and don’t have much money, I still manage to raise funds and relief materials (with the help of family, friends and good-hearted, charitable individuals) to embark on trips with.

* Today, I am thrilled to make my second humanitarian visit to the KiriKiri Maximum prison in Apapa area of Lagos state. While I am excited about this, I am a little nervous because going into a prison yard is a very sensitive trip no matter how many times you’ve visited before. They are so many people that goes in and out of the prison, one has to be security conscious at all times.
There in the prison, it can really get emotional seeing young people like myself languishing within the four walls, some were put there unjustly, some awaiting trial, some serving a sentence and some, have just no idea why they are there.
Seeing all these makes me really appreciate my life even as a broke and unemployed youth, at least, I’m free to walk the streets in search of vacancy*

[Due to security reason and confidentiality purpose, photos and all other forms of media are not allowed inside the prison yard. This trip has been covered in previous Justice Okwudike’s articles ]
Re: The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:24am On Apr 30, 2016
The following month…

It’s the month of May and it’s my birthday today; it’s meant to be a happy day but when you have been unemployed for a long while, the money and the joy to celebrate just isn’t there. I feel sick, depressed and irritated. My family members had said their best wishes and it was back to a normal day except for the little family dinner we had later on. I took a seemingly happy photo to upload to my Facebook so people won’t think I have died as I have taken a break from my personal account.

I opened my e-mail to check my messages one evening to find out something really exciting and promising, it’s a test invite from a leading bank! I verified to find out that it was actually authentic. I must have gotten this invitation from the numerous applications I’ve sent online. This test was in three days time but the one problem was that it was to hold early in the morning somewhere in Victoria Island, Lagos, and I lived far away on the mainland. The traffic could be terrible so it meant I had to spend the night (to the test) somewhere close to the venue to make it in time the next day.

I had informed by parents and they were mostly delighted but I had to calm them down, telling them it was only a test and I had to go through other steps in the recruitment process but my mum had already declared that I had already gotten an appointment letter in Jesus’ name! My dad quickly gave me 10,000 naira for transport, accommodation at a hotel and other needs that may arise. My mum had gone inside to bring an additional 1,000 naira from her purse. This I summed with the little I already had.

* This test had better be successful, if for nothing, at least just to make my parents happy, they’ve squeezed out from the little they have just so I can attend this test. I really don’t want to let them down*

While I am supposed to find a career path in Industrial production, which is the field I majored in, I still find myself chasing a career in the banking world (or any other sector that offers me employment so far it is legit) which is a bit odd for me but the unemployment rate in the country has left me with no choice.

*The unemployment rate in Nigeria has become significantly high, no jobs for the amassing graduates as universities keep churning out these graduates every year. There are very little opportunities and out there and people would do virtually anything to survive. By now, I would have joined the lucrative music industry, only problem is I have zero talent as a musician*
Re: The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:25am On Apr 30, 2016
It’s the evening to test day. I am now making my way to the venue so I could lodge somewhere close by. The traffic on the road was really bad and it was gradually getting dark. My plan was to find the closest hotel to the venue as I didn’t want to take chances. It’s 8:00pm, I just arrived close to the test venue, now the search for the closest hotel begins.

The very first hotel I could find was a rather lavish, luxurious hotel, I didn’t not need anyone to tell me that spending a night in such would cost up to five times what my father gave me. I moved on.

After a brief walk, I got to another hotel, still lavish, I decided to inquire from the security just to find out if I could afford it before going into the reception and embarrass myself and not so surprisingly, I was told lodging into the cheapest room in the hotel would cost nothing more than 25,000 naira. It was at this point I learnt that I was on a high-brow location and if I truly wanted an affordable room, I had to move further away from this vicinity.

It’s 10pm, it is really dark and cold and I am really exhausted. I boarded a bus to a local area away from my test-venue (where all the expensive hotels are) Now, my parents had called for the second time wanting to know why I haven’t called them to inform them of my progress so far but I assured them I have gotten an accommodation and I have been unpacking just so they don’t get terrified that am still wandering the streets of Lagos at that time of the day.

Now, I have gotten away from the previous high-brow area, I found myself in a locality I have never been all my life.

* Although they say no one gets missing in Lagos, the night can be dangerous. Now, am getting really nervous*

I resumed my search for an affordable accommodation but the there could be another problem, it’s a Friday and by this time on a weekend, most hotels are fully booked. I asked around to find a hotel nearby and in no time I got to one with the help of a bike man. On getting there, the receptionist related to me that all rooms were occupied as so many people had lodged in. I hurriedly hopped on another bike to look for another hotel and after several minutes drive, I found another, an affordable one with still several available rooms.

* What a relief, I don’t know where I would have spent the night if I hadn’t found this hotel, I could have been robbed staying out that late. I don’t even want to think about the worse that could have happened*

It’s 11:45pm, I began to unpack, I showered and managed to go through some study materials again not forgetting to set an early alarm for the next morning.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:27am On Apr 30, 2016
Test-Day.

Today is test-day, I woke to my alarm which buzzed by 4:50am still wishing I could sleep some more but it’s time for business. I prepared and waited till around 6:20am before setting out (back) to the venue.

Now getting to the venue, few invitees had just arrived and the test organizers were already on ground, screening the candidates. I joined the queue and after having my documents verified, I stepped into the hall were the test was to hold. We waited in the hall for over 3 hours before the test finally started. I wrote this test to my best ability and there was much hope for a call back.

Days later…

The entire Lagos state has been hit by new occurrence of fuel scarcity. Once in a while, there is u a case of fuel scarcity but each time it happens, it seems to be worse than the previous one.

* The case of fuel scarcity is no news especially here in Lagos and again, I have to be the one in the house to go in search for fuel*

I have set out very early in the morning in search for fuel. I checked in several filling stations but none seem to be selling. I waited till evening and set out again to see if this time, I would be in luck. Much later in the evening, I got to a station with fuel available but they only agreed to sell at 150 per liter. Having no option, I bought to over half my jerry can to last us few days at least, till the scarcity is over and price returns to normal. Just there at the queue, I met with a man who was a member at a fitness centre I used to visit. I seized the opportunity to tell him about my state of unemployment and he told me he is about to set-up a secondary school and he would let me know when he starts employing staff.

* I didn’t quite plan to teach in a school, but it is one option that is always open to graduates in search of jobs, I may just consider taking this opportunity when it comes*

I’m going through my e-mails and my heart skipped when I sighted a mail from the bank I wrote a test with.

* I don’t know what this mail will say. I just hope it’s a call back for an interview*

I opened the mail with my heart now pounding really fast.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:32am On Apr 30, 2016
MOTIVATION, EMPOWERMENT, ENTERTAINMENT, LIFESTYLE & HUMANITY.
Visit www.justiceokwudike.com

Follow the complete series (+photos) of
THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE & THE HUSTLE on

[url=justiceokwudike.com/categorythehustleseries/]The Hustle Series[/url]
Re: The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle | S1e4 by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:33am On Apr 30, 2016
I opened the mail with my heart now pounding really fast.

All hope crashed down when I sighted, “regret”, “we regret to inform you…”

It was a regret mail.

*I’m really heart broken right now. I don’t know what to do next. I don’t know how to tell my parents I wasn’t successful in a test they spent so much to see me attend, they’ve had so much hope, thinking I would land the job*

I am slowly starting to suffer from depression, the thought of being unemployed after having sacrificed so much feels torturous. Closed friends and family who promised to get me a job have failed, I have been scammed, I have been turned down several times. Back then in the university, I would study so hard to make good grades and maintain a high grade point, I literally sacrificed my social life so I could come out with flying colours, I did, but look at where I am now. The thought of these and more haunted me daily.

Sometimes I feel like I am gradually losing touch of reality, the thought of being unemployed and unable to fend for myself despite my qualification and good grades is beginning to be too heavy a burden on my mind. I think of other unemployed graduates going through what I am going through right now especially those who have been in this state of unemployment for a much longer time than I have, it truly must be terrible.

I see Nigerian youths on the streets everyday striving to make a living in this harsh economy, youths who are supposedly the leaders of tomorrow but are not certain of what tomorrow brings, the daily happenings in the nation leaves one with little or no hope for the future….where do I go from?

This episode is dedicated to the Nigerian youths.

Next time on…
THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE & THE HUSTLE

Season Finale: ‘The Hustle Continues…’

(1) (Reply)

Ode To An Elephant - A Tribute To Professor Wole Soyinka / The Holyspirit / Procrastination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.