Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,048 members, 7,825,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Your Value Is In Your Values - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Value Is In Your Values (689 Views)

Global Decline In Values: You Needn't Key In / Your Values: Your Value / What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Value Is In Your Values by twosam: 10:24am On Apr 30, 2016
Do you consider yourself responsible? Are you honest, righteous, a liar, wicked, corrupt, or promiscuous? What’s your value?

In the spirit of justice, every human regardless of sex, tribe, religion, color, class is created with the same number of values (standards of behaviour). There are tens of hundreds of these values in each person some of which include selflessness, kindness, forgiveness, mercy, patience, tolerance, endurance, justice, etc.

You have no choice (of refusal) of this gift of God. What you have choice over is on which of these values to activate (bring to life). You can choose to activate them positively or negatively.

Selflessness, activated negatively becomes Selfishness
Love > Hate
Patience > Impatience
Tolerance > Intolerance
Justice > Injustice
Freewill > Force/Compulsion
Kindness > Cruel, etc

This choice is what makes us different from the other person and accords us our value (worth).
To lack value as a person is saying you have chosen not to activate the values or have activated them negatively (wrongly). To have value is to activate these values positively. The more you activate positively, the more your value, the more enduring you become, and can avoid any fall. Adam and Eve fell because they lacked value to endure stay in the Garden of Eden. There were values they activated wrongly. Our purpose here is to develop these values to fall no more.

Your value (worth) is in your values (standards)

http://twosam..com/

Re: Your Value Is In Your Values by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 30, 2016
Well, the thing with the values is often highly subjective and differs from culture to culture.

Let me give you a few examples:

Honesty
Is it good to be honest and tell a person that s/he is stu.pid even though it is true?

Forgiveness
Does a mother have to forgive someone who killed her child or is it understandable that some sort of revenge would grant her some relief?
Do we have to forgive criminals or do we punish them?

Justice
Why do we have courts if what is just is clear-cut?

Selflessness / Selfishness
Is it not just natural to be selfish?
How do you want to take care of others if you do not take care of yourself IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Tolerance
Do African countries have to become more tolerant of homo.sexuality?
Should tolerance be placed above the belief that homo.sexuality harms a society?

It is an interesting topic.
Re: Your Value Is In Your Values by EfemenaXY: 11:38am On Apr 30, 2016
Mindfulness:
Well, the thing with the values is often highly subjective and differs from culture to culture.

Let me give you a few examples:

Honesty
Is it good to be honest and tell a person that s/he is stu.pid even though it is true?

Forgiveness
Does a mother have to forgive someone who killed her child or is it understandable that some sort of revenge would grant her some relief?
Do we have to forgive criminals or do we punish them?

Justice
Why do we have courts if what is just is clear-cut?

Selflessness / Selfishness
Is it not just natural to be selfish?
How do you want to take care of others if you do not take care of yourself IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Tolerance
Do African countries have to become more tolerant of homo.sexuality?
Should tolerance be placed above the belief that homo.sexuality harms a society?

It is an interesting topic.

Nice one.

I don't get your stance on the bolded bit. Care to explain further?
Re: Your Value Is In Your Values by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 30, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Nice one.

I don't get your stance on the bolded bit. Care to explain further?

Some people believe that people who are different (=homs.exuals) should be shown tolerance but is the value of tolerance more important than the belief that it is wrong to tolerate hom.osexuals?

What should we tolerate? Religious beliefs that it is wrong and harmful or differences?

Now, my own opinion on this does not matter. It is just an example.
Re: Your Value Is In Your Values by EfemenaXY: 11:50am On Apr 30, 2016
Mindfulness:

Some people believe that people who are different (=homs.exuals) should be shown tolerance but is the value of tolerance more important than the belief that it is wrong to tolerate hom.osexuals?

What should we tolerate? Religious beliefs that it is wrong and harmful or differences?

Now, my own opinion on this does not matter. It is just an example.

One's definition / belief in what is wrong or right is subjective and open to different interpretation, not to mention varying cultural nuances.

Having said that, as long as one's practices doesn't cause harm or infinge on the rights of others, then people should learn to live and let live.

I have no issues with homosexuals / transgenders / polygamists, etc
Re: Your Value Is In Your Values by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 30, 2016
EfemenaXY:

One's definition / belief in what is wrong or right is subjective and open to different interpretation, not to mention varying cultural nuances.

Having said that, as long as one's practices doesn't cause harm or infinge on the rights of others, then people should learn to live and let live.

I have no issues with homosexuals / transgenders / polygamists, etc

The question is:

Should we also be tolerant of intolerant people / religious beliefs?
Re: Your Value Is In Your Values by EfemenaXY: 11:58am On Apr 30, 2016
Mindfulness:

The question is:

Should we also be tolerant of intolerant people / religious beliefs?

If intolerant people expected to be tolerated, the least they can do is show some "tolerance" of other's beliefs (religion, etc) that differs from theirs.

Any deviation from that should rightly land them in court, explaining why they've broken the law.

The key to successful, multi-cultural societies is tolerance. I live in one and can't even begin to describe the immense benefits derived from being a part of it.

1 Like

Re: Your Value Is In Your Values by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 30, 2016
EfemenaXY:

If intolerant people expected to be tolerated, the least they can do is show some "tolerance" of other's beliefs (religion, etc) that differs from theirs.

Any deviation from that should rightly land them in court, explaining why they've broken the law.

The key to successful, multi-cultural societies is tolerance. I live in one and can't even begin to describe the immense benefits derived from being a part of it.

No need to cheesy I love it too. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Strong Love / Female Professional Drivers / Gods Plan For The Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.