Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,573 members, 7,955,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:19 PM

Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident (1077 Views)

Man Who Escaped Building Collapse In Akwa Ibom Shares Ordeal 1 Year After.Photos / Building Collapse In Nigeria: 6 Early Warning Signs / Mother And Daughter Killed In Lagos Building Collapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by Achutebe(f): 4:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
[size=16pt]Compare the Kenya Building Collapse to The SCOAN Building Incident[/size]

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy80Lfcq90I

On April 29th 2016, a seven storey residential building in Nairobi, Kenya collapsed. The structure had failed after days of heavy rains and flooding. Following the collapse, parts of the building remained upright leaving room for rescue teams to save many people from the wreckage.

"Seven people are confirmed dead and 121 people have been rescued and rushed to various hospitals in Nairobi," the Nairobi County police chief told Reuters.

This clearly contrast to the building that collapsed in Lagos, Nigeria at The SCOAN in September 2014. Many have since argued that the collapse at The SCOAN was not as a result of structural failure, but a controlled demolition.

When comparing the two incidents there are notable differences. It can be seen that The SCOAN building did not fall to one side as most do when there is a defect in the structure, but rather it fell on it’s own footprint, on top of itself leaving a slim chance for survival.

On the contrary, when the structure of the Kenyan building failed, it came down on one side leaving parts of the building still standing. This made room for more than 121 people to be rescued from the wreckage leaving only seven people confirmed to be dead as at the time of filling this report.

Another noticeable difference between the two cases is that the Kenyan building did not collapse suddenly but there were warning signs that the structure was failing. Residents were complaining that the building was shaking and making noise before it finally collapsed. "They told me that the house was shaking. When I arrived here I found that the house had collapsed." a resident explained.

Operation Centre director Colonel Nathan Kigotho, told reporters at the scene, "The biggest cause of this was that the building was next to the river. The water most likely undermined the foundation," he said.

Lower floors of the building crumpled, leaving some of the top storey almost intact. Broken bed frames, mattresses and clothes protruded from the wreckage.

Clear CCTV footage of the SCOAN building collapsed shows that the building suddenly came down within a matter of seconds without any previous warning.

Lets not forget the fact that residents of the collapsed Huruma building, Kenya were able to rescue household equipments such as furniture, mattress, kitchen utensils and other household appliances from the debris. Opposite was the case with The SCOAN building incident as there was no trace of the furnitures or household appliances. The entire building came down in dust making it impossible to recover any item from it.

Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by Flexherbal(m): 4:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
It looks like an old building.
Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by Achutebe(f): 4:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
Flexherbal:
It looks like an old building.
Yes, it does look old which is probably why the building collapsed due to structural failure, but the scoan building was fairly new and it just came down all of a sudden without warning.
Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 30, 2016
Blacks..... Smh
Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by PFRB: 4:44pm On Apr 30, 2016
See any engineer worth who knows his onions will tell you that the synagogue building collapse was a controlled one.
Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by jantofubu(m): 4:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
Op I love ur analysis... Tho Its glaring that scoan building was demolished... Buh som ppl still find it hard to bliv
Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by jamedaudi: 6:06pm On Apr 30, 2016
Me, I’m from Kenya. I was just searching and came across this blog. Guys let me tell you, I live not to far from the location that this happened. The rains have been very heavy and it seems our buildings are not able to hold up to the weather like they used to. Me and my family watch Emmanuel TV and it saddens me when I read the articles about what happened to the scoan building. After witnessing this I know what a building collapse is like and it was nothing like what happened to the scoan building. The people in the Huruma building were saying that they felt the building shaking and some of the residents were able to escape before it finally collapsed, but the scoan building came down instantly without warning. I don’t know why the Nigerian government would keep putting so much pressure on the scoan when anyone viewing the CCTV footage can see that what happened was a controlled demolition. I love TB Joshua! Nigeria should know what they have. I want to be there one day to visit the scoan.
Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by rafcrown(m): 9:19pm On Apr 30, 2016
POWERFUL HALLELUYAAAAAAA BROUGHT DOWN SCOAN?

1 Like

Re: Compare The Kenya Building Collapse To The SCOAN Building Incident by mfm04622: 8:15pm On May 01, 2016
What arrant nonsense! Controlled demolition by who? If explosive was used to demolish the church building, traces of u would have been found. Building collapse follow different patterns depending on the cause of failure, point of failure and others. Building is fairly new, so what? Don't we see building under construction collapsing?

The best thing is for those charged to prove their innocence in court instead of obstructing and delaying their trial

(1) (Reply)

Investment In Lekki Free Trade Zone / Manhattan Park & Gardens, Abuja, Enjoy up to 30% discount / Volvo 250 Kva Generator For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.