Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Should I Travel To US Or Not? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Travel To US Or Not? (1708 Views)

How do i Travel To China,what it takes / I Have 600k..which Country Can I Travel To And Start A Good Life.. / Can I Travel To Ghana Without A Passport? (2) (3) (4)

Should I Travel To US Or Not? by mrego: 10:31pm On Apr 30, 2016
i will go straight to the point and not bore you guys with unnecessary details. i had to open a new account so not to draw unnecessary attention from those that know me with my username either from the office or otherwise

i work in a federal establishment earning about 100k per month. my establishment is about to send some people to the US for a convention though they wont be footing the bills. All they will do is make you get your papers easily by presenting you as their own. fortunately, i am among the few selected interested ones.

now my dilemma is that i think it is not wise to use my years savings in footing a trip which i wont benefit from economically considering my financial status. using all my savings in going to the State just to stay for about a month and come back to the country broke. i am actually interested in going and disappearing and try to make a life there. but my parents have advised me that it is not wise to leave my job to an uncertain future. To make matters worse i don't know anyone there who can accommodate me and put me through. No contact whatsoever to take shelter with.

i am torn between taking the risk and staying back entirely and hustling it out in Nigeria as a civil servant but i don't see myself making it big in civil service except i get the opportunity to dasukigate some funds from our government. lol

please i need the best advice i can get and i trust my nairaland family.
lalasticlala and the mod here abeg help my ministry
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by Bisiebae(f): 11:29pm On Apr 30, 2016
I see. To me, its better u stay home. hardly do people make it out there.
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by mrego: 11:54pm On Apr 30, 2016
Bisiebae:
I see. To me, its better u stay home. hardly do people make it out there.

but staying home and with this our current state of our economy is not just encouraging... my salary have very lil purchasing power. its just frustrating
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by Bisiebae(f): 11:58pm On Apr 30, 2016
mrego:

but staying home and with this our current state of our economy is not just encouraging... my salary have very lil purchasing power. its just frustrating

Nigeria is a lot better. No matter what, ur family is here, u still av people u can trust. I've been abroad its not a bed of rose. Especially with all ur savings, u can start something productive with it.

Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by mrego: 12:04am On May 01, 2016
Bisiebae:

Nigeria is a lot better. No matter what, ur family is here, u still av people u can trust. I've been abroad its not a bed of rose. Especially with all ur savings, u can start something productive with it.

sis, this family dont respect you except you have got some money to throw around. so its not about family... i just want to make it big and start my own family too.

are u saying Nigeria is a better option to yankee?
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by sobastical: 12:15am On May 01, 2016
Assuming you have someone there it would have been a different ball game, but as a matter of fact don't you think it's gonna be a risky game putting your job behind and leaving your employer at risk or something.
But if you feel it's worth taking the risk then summon courage and take the leap. I wish you the very best which ever decision you take at the end. Shalom!
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by Bisiebae(f): 12:16am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

sis, this family dont respect you except you have got some money to throw around. so its not about family... i just want to make it big and start my own family too.

are u saying Nigeria is a better option to yankee?

It's only when u are absolutely assured u would get a good job over there that it is better than Nigeria. I'm saying my part, the decision is yours, but the consequences are not reversible.

Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by vizkiz: 12:45am On May 01, 2016
If you don't take risks, then you are not worth being alive
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by TWoods(m): 2:06am On May 01, 2016
Why don't you try applying to go to school? That really is your only sane option.
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by mrego: 9:21am On May 01, 2016
TWoods:
Why don't you try applying to go to school? That really is your only sane option.
people seem to be saying that a lot
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by TWoods(m): 2:55pm On May 01, 2016
mrego:

people seem to be saying that a lot

Because its frankly the easiest route unless your parents or spouse is a US citizen or permanent resident.

Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by kingsilly(m): 9:25am On May 02, 2016
Bisiebae:

Bleh bleh bleh
Naso e easy

Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by omega25red(m): 3:03pm On May 02, 2016
Poster here are some questions for you

1. who do you know in America that can help support you seeing as you want to be illegal
2. where are you planning to stay while making your way if you do decide to disappear
3. how long do you think your savings can carry you? as in do you think you can stay in a cheap hotel for 3 months?
4. after you disappear, what is your plan?
5. where do you think you will start looking for a job
6. what are your plans to get document to work legally?
7. have you decided on the city you plan to go stay?
8. how long are you willing to go if things are hard before you leave? (what is your escape plan?)
9. Are you hoping to find someone to put you up in their home? and how long do you think you will be staying before you wear out your welcome?
10. what type of work experience do you have?
11. how much are you willing to collect as pay being an illegal immigrant with no employee rights?
12. can you take a leave of absence from work to try?
13. why didn't you consider what your parents advised?

i have many more but these are some questions to seriously ask yourself. I am not discouraging or encouraging you i am just asking that you ask yourself these questions and if you have concrete answers to them then...........

Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by sholay2011(m): 8:16pm On May 02, 2016
@OP

The desperation to "make it big" that oozes from your posts is disgusting.

I don't think you need any advice....change your line of thinking first.
Or follow the 11th commandment : "Se ife inu e".

Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by Pennsylvania: 8:22pm On May 02, 2016
Op

Is better you follow your mum's advice and stay here, rather than going to an uncertain future....you just stated that you don't know anybody in the US......do u want to be walking up and down on the road?

Bro, stay back and continue with your job.
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by guttentag(m): 8:42pm On May 02, 2016
charlie, if you have the opportunity to disappear from this Zoo called Nigeria, Vanish for Good, there is nothing special in this God forsaking zoo called Nigeria

Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by daaz001: 8:06am On May 03, 2016
kingsilly:

Bleh bleh bleh
Naso e easy

No mind her....I tire Oooo
Re: Should I Travel To US Or Not? by mrego: 12:28pm On May 07, 2016
your questions provokes deep thoughts and frankly i've been unable to provide satisfactory answers to most of them. i have rethought my steps and would see if i can put some necessary things in place which will make life easier...if i cant i will have to stay back.thanks.

omega25red:
Poster here are some questions for you

1. who do you know in America that can help support you seeing as you want to be illegal
2. where are you planning to stay while making your way if you do decide to disappear
3. how long do you think your savings can carry you? as in do you think you can stay in a cheap hotel for 3 months?
4. after you disappear, what is your plan?
5. where do you think you will start looking for a job
6. what are your plans to get document to work legally?
7. have you decided on the city you plan to go stay?
8. how long are you willing to go if things are hard before you leave? (what is your escape plan?)
9. Are you hoping to find someone to put you up in their home? and how long do you think you will be staying before you wear out your welcome?
10. what type of work experience do you have?
11. how much are you willing to collect as pay being an illegal immigrant with no employee rights?
12. can you take a leave of absence from work to try?
13. why didn't you consider what your parents advised?

i have many more but these are some questions to seriously ask yourself. I am not discouraging or encouraging you i am just asking that you ask yourself these questions and if you have concrete answers to them then...........

Visitor Visa Requirements For Uk/usa/canada And Schenghen Countries / My US Visa Was Cancelled At Arrival Nd Was Send Back Home / Immigrants Face Realities In Canada