Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. (24876 Views)

Masquerade Receiving Blessings From Bishops / "Buhari Should Retire" - Cardinal Onaiyekan / We Will Christianize Nigeria If Muslims Islamise the Country- Cardinal Onaiyekan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 5:50am On May 01, 2016
The Catholic Archbishop of Benin City, Dr. Augustin Akubueze, and the Catholic Bishop of Uromi Diocese, Dr. Donatus Ogun, have both appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to tackle the issue of the growing attacks of hoodlums in Edo State.
The Bishops spoke against the backdrop of last Friday’s attempt on the life of John Cardinal Onaiyekan, the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja.
Akubueze and Ogun said the appeal became urgent following the brazenness with which the herdsmen commit atrocities in the state without adequate security checks.
Cardinal Onaiyekan was attacked by suspected herdsmen along the Benin-Ekpoma Road while returning from the celebration of the 10th anniversary of the enthronement of Akubueze as a bishop and also to attend the 10 years anniversary of the Diocese Uromi.
Akubueze said in an interview in Benin City: “We thank God that Cardinal Onaiyekan survived the attacks of some criminals elements last week on the Benin-Ekpoma Road.
“If something had happened to him, what would have been the story?
“We thank God nothing happened and we are using this opportunity to appeal to Mr. President to provide adequate security for the citizens of Edo State.”
The catholic archbishop stressed that the responsibility of a government is to secure her people, adding: “What we are asking for is not too much for our President.
“If there is no security of lives and property, no investments or meaningful economic development can take place in the state and the nation at large.
“We need security and we are demanding that from our government.”
Akubueze noted that the spate of attacks by so-called herdsmen across the country “is becoming frightening”, adding: “There is an urgent need by the state and Federal Government to deal with the issue of security to protect lives and property of Nigerians with all seriousness.”
Reacting to Cardinal Onaiyekan’s attack, Bishop Ogun said: “What would have happened if the Cardinal was killed?
“It would have been sorry and pains for us, considering that he was coming to attend the 10th anniversary of the creation of Uromi Diocese.
“We thank God he came out unhurt.”
While appealing strongly to President Buhari to help secure the state, the Bishop added: “We need adequate security to protect the lives and property of the residents of the state.
“We cannot continue to live in fear in our own land because of the activities of these criminals.”
Recounting the ordeal, the driver to Onaiyekan, who simply identified himself as Segun, said the attack happened along the Benin-Ekpoma Road close to Ehor at about 5pm on Friday.
According to SEgun: “We left Benin for Uromi and at about 5pm on the fateful day.
“I think very close to Ehor, I saw a big pothole and decided to slow down the vehicle.
“I would have passed the spot with speed but because the cardinal was sleeping, I decided to slow down the vehicle so that he won’t wake up.
“Suddenly, I saw three men come out of the palm tree plantation by the road side and started shooting at the vehicle.
“I looked ahead of me, two of them were firing from a distance at the vehicle and I looked behind me, another one was firing at the vehicle from behind so I decided to use reverse gear.
“The other vehicles who saw me coming with reverse started clearing off the road and when I got to a safe distance, I decided to stop the vehicle and people started running to see what had happened.
“It was then we realised that the bullets shattered the left passenger window glass and made huge holes on the panel of the door.
“We just thank God nothing happened to the cardinal or any of us in the vehicle.”

Source:

http://theeagleonline.com.ng/herdsmen-attack-archbishop-onaiyekan-bishops-kick/

6 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by SeverusSnape(m): 5:56am On May 01, 2016
The Bishops spoke against the backdrop of last Friday’s attempt on the life of John Cardinal Onaiyekan, the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja.
Akubueze and Ogun said the appeal became urgent following the brazenness with which the herdsmen commit atrocities in the state without adequate security checks.

Why won't they be brazen??... Since their dullardic grand patron is now the president. Anyone expecting the dullard to do anything about this fulani issue is wasting his/her time. They have the [size=15pt]Full support[/size] of Buhari. Let them enjoy their freedom while it lasts.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by makzeze: 6:01am On May 01, 2016
The report says ' hoodlums' not fulani herdsmen.

Please leave my brothers alone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by sanandreas(m): 6:06am On May 01, 2016
And the so called northern ekpa forum said fulanis are not criminal. when this whole saga spills out of hand Nigeria would feel the heat. Bokoharam was treated with such levity because they were attacking Christain communities but when the tide changed, they were branded a terrorist group

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by marshalcarter: 6:07am On May 01, 2016
These foolanis again angry

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by lawydewy(m): 6:10am On May 01, 2016
That's what you will get,when you cause trouble. Any atrocities will be attached to you.

When Boko haran started, if anything happens na Boko haran.

When you cause problems, you see what is after it.

Fulani's take law into their hands, now if arm robber attacked anybody,na Fulani's herdsmen.

Neighbours fight each other na Fulani's.

There are atoms of peacefulness and violence in every human being.

But you don't take laws into your hands.

We just have to be diplomatic about this issue. Nobody can say Fulani's have never been attacked before..........

But majority of them are illiterate(western knowledge) and our security personnel are not helping matters in this country.

There are bad eggs within the Fulani's, and other tribes can't boast of 100% peacefulness.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by erusen: 6:12am On May 01, 2016
the fact that the northern leaders are calling their boys saint,buhari constant "am not not disturbed"complex shows the tribalist characters of these nomads idiots,the best southern way to react is to throw away the *love ur enemy* complex and adopt the more useful"eye for eye".let's organise a vigilantic and state police policy in the south to deal with these Fulani mothafucas

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by SeverusSnape(m): 6:12am On May 01, 2016
makzeze:

the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja.
Cardinal Onaiyekan was attacked by suspected herdsmen along the Benin-Ekpoma Road while returning from the celebration

Except you're suffering from dyslexia (inability to read and write) You should have seen that herdsmen were mentioned severally in the post.

I don't blame you though, even your Northern leaders gathered to absorb the herdsmen of their crimes.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by 2kris(m): 6:12am On May 01, 2016
cardinal john is our future pope.were is buhari when u need him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by fiizznation: 6:16am On May 01, 2016
So now any attack in the southern part of the country is attributed to herdsmen. Funny nation funny people with junky journalism

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by SeverusSnape(m): 6:21am On May 01, 2016
fiizznation:
The original report said hoodlums and the op mischievously turned it to herdsmen. I think nairaland have rules and regulations. So why are people like the op not getting the necessary penalty for misguiding and misinforming the readers of your forum @ Mr seun? I believe nobody should be above your forum laws.

Cc: lalasticllala, myndd44, obinooscopy and seunn

the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja.
Cardinal Onaiyekan was attacked by suspected
herdsmen along the Benin-Ekpoma Road while returning from the celebration

Please stop absorbing these bloodthirsty Fulani hoodlums from their crime, Check the highlighted, Fulani herdsmen were mentioned. Below is a screen shot from the main website.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3663440_93323_jpeg0e5957b095fc46cc3011b4191beb6b6d

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by Blackfire(m): 6:22am On May 01, 2016
No one is secure in this country... Not even the 'future hopeful pope'.

*abeg when are they allowing people to travel to planet MARS*

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by chikel2000(m): 6:28am On May 01, 2016
Dis nation n security lapses, dear GOD wen will U give us a man like king David?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by fiizznation: 6:31am On May 01, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Please stop absorbing these bloodthirsty Fulani hoodlums from their crime, Check the highlighted, Fulani herdsmen were mentioned.
Yeah I didn't see that earlier and that's why I reedited my comment. But isn't it funny that any attack that happens in that other side of the country is now attributed to "invincible herdsmen" ? From all the herdsmen atrocities I have been reading of lately, no media have ever shown a picture of a single herdman nor that of his cattle at the scene of the crime. And I still don't get it. We are in the 21st century for crying out loud, were cameras are available everywhere

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by otokx(m): 6:35am On May 01, 2016
The driver slowed down because there was a pot hole. It will have been nice to see the picture of the car.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by Pavore9: 6:36am On May 01, 2016
lt is so sad.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by SeverusSnape(m): 6:36am On May 01, 2016
fiizznation:
Yeah I didn't see that earlier and that's why I reedited my comment. But isn't it funny that any attack that happens in that other side of the country is now attributed to "invincible herdsmen" ? From all the herdsmen atrocities I have been reading of lately, no media have ever shown a picture of a single herdman nor that of his cattle at the scene of the crime. And I still don't get it. We are in the 21st century for crying out loud, were cameras are available everywhere

Bros forget talk, they are herdsmen. You think if they want to go to operation, they'll go with their cows??... Besides, most of their attacks are carried out at night fall.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:42am On May 01, 2016
Fulanis wahala everyday

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by OlujobaSamuel: 6:46am On May 01, 2016
I see politicians creating another crisis in this nation. I despise the president previous silence on this issue, so also do I doubt the fulani herdsmen tales. can someone just get a pix of any attack, in this story now, only segun saw the attackers and has no opportunity to appreciate the kind or motive of the attackers, but we have people about 100km away telling us who they are.
God save us in this nation.

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by hungryboy(m): 7:16am On May 01, 2016
fiizznation:
So now any attack in the southern part of the country is attributed to herdsmen. Funny nation funny people with junky journalism
it's all lies bro,
From the murders in Jos, To Nassarawa, to the massacre in Agatu, it's all lies aimed at tarnishing the good image of the fulanis and their grand Patron President Buhari, not
To mention the kidnap of Chief Olu Falae, and frequent attacks on his farm guards,the murders in Enugu, Delta and other places too numerous to mention,

Seems, there is a grand conspiracy down South to tarnish the good image of the peace loving Fulanis.

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by johnmartus(m): 7:30am On May 01, 2016
makzeze:

you dont even ashamed of yourself by associate with these mere criminal you called your brothers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by MirabelArode(f): 7:53am On May 01, 2016
The yoruba (especially the muslims) will tell you that the Cardinal is an iPod who wants to tarnish the image of their Buhari. Just wait and see. Arresa how far? grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by agarawu23(m): 8:24am On May 01, 2016
shocked
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by brunofarad(m): 8:26am On May 01, 2016
Space booked
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by oduastates: 8:27am On May 01, 2016
It is obvious that the criminals from,and the lawlessness in the north, Niger and Chad have moved to fertile grounds in the south.
Anyone who has an idea of what went down in 70s, 80s and 90s in that belt can relate to what I am saying.
Guns, lawlessness, murders and genocide were the norms.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by Sasuwa(f): 8:27am On May 01, 2016
How can nigeria develop like other nation when u have people like this are as leaders, someone who just know scripture written by some men 2000 years ago, how can he understand modern politics? Pastor should kick away from politics abeg?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by refiner(f): 8:27am On May 01, 2016
....*speechless!*undecided
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by dayoungmoney1: 8:28am On May 01, 2016
The government will keep treating this devil incarnate fulani herdsmen of death with kids gloves until they become worse than boko haram. FG is quick to kill IPOB agitators but looks away because it's fulani people. Oh i forgot oga bubu is in charge. We're only forcing this One Nigeria thing, it's not working as far as I'm concerned.
#DivideNigeriaNow

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by hakeem4(m): 8:28am On May 01, 2016
These boys are demonic

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by Amanwulu1(m): 8:29am On May 01, 2016
Buhari boys(jihadists) on rampage. May God deliver us.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. by Tenim47(m): 8:30am On May 01, 2016
only Fulani?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Baby With Heart Condition Completely Healed. See Photos + Testimony / Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / Is Wet Dream really A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.